Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: The New Missionary Generation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As there is no category available for the new prophets, I will place this here.

Sociologist Naomi Riley believes that a new “Missionary Generation” is forming in the children of the 2010s. I suppose due to the noted changes within schools noted in this link. Yes, well aware this is an older book. But I think it is worthy to take note of as it is something that will shape younger folk today. I suppose the idea of whether the new prophets are around now depends on when you think the crisis started. I am skeptical, but curious.

http://www.amazon.com/God-Quad-Religious...1566636981
(05-19-2016, 01:49 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-19-2016, 05:19 AM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]As there is no category available for the new prophets, I will place this here.

Sociologist Naomi Riley believes that a new “Missionary Generation” is forming in the children of the 2010s. I suppose due to the noted changes within schools noted in this link. Yes, well aware this is an older book. But I think it is worthy to take note of as it is something that will shape younger folk today. I suppose the idea of whether the new prophets are around now depends on when you think the crisis started. I am skeptical, but curious.

It's too early for that. Artists are still being born. The first Prophets won't be here until we are in the latter years of The Crisis.

Right.  The children of the 2010s are likely to be core Artists.  But I do appreciate Riley thinking in a cyclical manner, even if she's one cycle too early.
(05-19-2016, 01:49 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-19-2016, 05:19 AM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]As there is no category available for the new prophets, I will place this here.

It's too early for that. Artists are still being born. The first Prophets won't be here until we are in the latter years of The Crisis.
Oh yes i totally agree. But i wonder what makes her think the next prophets are already here. I must grab a copy of her book.
Neo-prophets won't be around for like another 10-12 yrs or so
Hopefully they will be saner than the last prophets.
(11-12-2016, 04:33 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully they will be saner than the last prophets.

-- HEY!!!!! Ah who am l kidding l am crazy
(11-12-2016, 05:52 PM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-12-2016, 04:33 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully they will be saner than the last prophets.

Hahahahaha oops i take it you are a boomer? Of course naturally I am talking about the extremists who want to push their ideal beliefs onto others in very authoritative ways. Smile others are totally fine.

Are  you linking to the right book?  That book is talking about people going to college in the 2010s, not people being born in the 2010s.  They are millenials, not new idealists.  There are some similarities due to their both being dominant generation types, of course, but this is basically about millenials being indoctrinated by red boomers rather than blue boomers.
(11-12-2016, 09:33 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]

Are  you linking to the right book?  That book is talking about people going to college in the 2010s, not people being born in the 2010s.  They are millenials, not new idealists.  There are some similarities due to their both being dominant generation types, of course, but this is basically about millenials being indoctrinated by red boomers rather than blue boomers.
I was sharing the link which talked about the subject in my title. I just merely posted it to get everyone's thoughts on the topic she was talking about. I did not have a personal opinion on what she said.
Okay. There may be missionaries in this generation, but they are millenials.

They may be the best educated millenials as the colleges in question emphasize learning over safe spaces.
(11-12-2016, 06:01 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]

Hahahahaha oops i take it you are a boomer? Of course naturally I am talking about the extremists who want to push their ideal beliefs onto others in very authoritative ways. :) others are totally fine.

Yup. l'm a Boomer, & l'm crazy
(11-12-2016, 10:23 PM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-12-2016, 06:01 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]

Hahahahaha oops i take it you are a boomer? Of course naturally I am talking about the extremists who want to push their ideal beliefs onto others in very authoritative ways. Smile others are totally fine.

Yup. l'm a Boomer, & l'm crazy
Hahahahaa my mother who is a boomer admits she is crazy too but hey at least that is halfway towards recovery! Heheheehee! Tongue Wink Big Grin

If they want to be less sane then they will really have to work at it.
(11-12-2016, 11:36 PM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]

I am grateful our boomers are different. But the environment and culture made them far more grounded and less ideologically divided. I find it fascinating how different the generations turn out around the world.
(11-12-2016, 11:44 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]

I am grateful our boomers are different. But the environment and culture made them far more grounded and less ideologically divided. I find it fascinating how different the generations turn out around the world.

Despite what the left likes to say cultures are not equivalent or arbitrary.
(11-12-2016, 11:50 PM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]

Then what would you personally say? on what causes differences in the generations around the world? I considered culture because it is part of history and people are shaped by it and react to it. It is not from what they say. It is my own thought on this.
(11-13-2016, 12:04 AM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]

Then what would you personally say? on what causes differences in the generations around the world? I considered culture because it is part of history and people are shaped by it and react to it. It is not from what they say. It is my own thought on this.

As near as I can tell NZ is far more relaxed and homogeneous than the US.  That is the culture NZ evolved.  The US evolved a much more uptight and crusading one and, trust me on this, its even more annoying to live in than to look at.
(11-13-2016, 12:11 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-12-2016, 11:36 PM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]If they want to be less sane then they will really have to work at it.

As near as I can tell NZ is far more relaxed and homogeneous than the US.  That is the culture NZ evolved.  The US evolved a much more uptight and crusading one and, trust me on this, its even more annoying to live in than to look at.

Yeah our boomers are actually peaceful. They on the whole practiced what they preached. I would agree about at least some boomers in America. Those particular boomers seem to think bashing and shaming is the right strategy to change people. A strategy I believe is not a healthy way to change people. And who are the intolerant ones in the end when both show intolerance but for different reasons? Now, not to say I think racists, sexists etc should be considered ok. Far from it. But strategies to combat it...at least some I have heard of going on over there are not the right way to fix it. Like for instance expelling kids who bully others. Does that solve anything when you are removing them from a place which should be there for the purpose of teaching people? I ask for wiser strategies without going after the wrong people or lumping people together and thinking it applies to them all.
(11-13-2016, 12:23 AM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2016, 12:11 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-12-2016, 11:44 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]I am grateful our boomers are different. But the environment and culture made them far more grounded and less ideologically divided. I find it fascinating how different the generations turn out around the world.

Yeah our boomers are actually peaceful. They on the whole practiced what they preached. I would agree about at least some boomers in America. Those particular boomers seem to think bashing and shaming is the right strategy to change people. A strategy I believe is not a healthy way to change people. And who are the intolerant ones in the end when both show intolerance but for different reasons? Now, not to say I think racists, sexists etc should be considered ok. Far from it. But strategies to combat it...at least some I have heard of going on over there are not the right way to fix it. Like for instance expelling kids who bully others. Does that solve anything when you are removing them from a place which should be there for the purpose of teaching people? I ask for wiser strategies without going after the wrong people or lumping people together and thinking it applies to them all.

Actually it does solve issues. Some people don't have much of a conscience and are hopeless cases. Expelling the bully is easier than somehow expecting them to change and in the mean time the victims have to be protected. I don't have years to wait around. I'd rather fix things now. Your strategy is placing the victim at more risk.

The Boomers suspended people who fought against bullies and thought that "talking it out" was the answer. They punished victims and perpetuated the myth that the bullies were really hurting inside and had low self esteem. I've seen what bullshit it really is in real life. It's a matter of survivalism. Some people simply enjoy hurting others and even if they don't you still have to protect yourself. I don't have time to wait around for some pie in the sky scenario where they actually listen.
Enjoy more division then. Glad not to be over there.
Pages: 1 2 3