Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Millennials Becoming Old Farts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(07-08-2019, 08:17 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: [ -> ]One question that definitely should be asked is this: Will the Millennials be as successful as Boomers were in using their sheer force of numbers to be able to set social, political and economic trends in the country and society. Boomers really thought they would remain the dominant gen for the entirety of their lives, but now tend to in many ways find themselves on the outside looking in. But Millennials didn't seem to have the obsession with toppling the Boomer-led establishment the way Boomers fought to topple the GI-led establishment.

There are many things the Millies might do, but their numbers aren't as overwhelming as those of the Boomers were. And obviously, they can't grow any further. Unless by importing of millions of people at their age... good luck with that.
So that's why so many millenials are in favor of open borders!
(07-12-2019, 08:41 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]So that's why so many millenials are in favor of open borders!

No. It's the college brainwashing they go through in major universities. It's obvious when you look at the SJWs, especially online.
(07-09-2019, 01:54 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-09-2019, 05:26 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:My attitude is I can opt out of anything I don't personally like. I don't need to rebel against the music scene because I have the internet for example to search for whatever I want. My attitude is also to either show me respect or I will be extremely belligerent and immature. If I don't like a culture I withdraw from it and save myself while the others drown and then kick and scream when someone wants to force me to face it. What generational attitude do I have?

Artistic, like the Silent generation. Of course, you have all sorts of people in all generations, just in different proportions.

Silents were never, ever belligerent, at least not the ones that survived the crisis.  Silents were deferential to GIs and presumably to older generations; they were considerate to each other even when disagreeing and were kind to younger generations.  They did make out like bandits economically, but that wasn't due to belligerence. Nor have I seen new adaptives being belligerent, though they often do their own thing with older generations none the wiser.

They went through the Awakening era phase in which they were effective activists, and they liberated themselves from a lot of social programming in order to connect better with each other and the boomers. Their favorite books were I'm OK You're OK and Games People Play and they taught Transactional Analysis, often forgotten today. They threw off a lot of conformity and inaugurated feminism and gay rights. They provided manifestos for their younger hippie friends.
(07-12-2019, 08:41 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]So that's why so many millennials are in favor of open borders!

I didn't notice anyone advocating borders, until possibly Julian Castro at the debates who seemed to get pretty far with his proposal to make illegal immigration into a civil and not a criminal offense.
Pages: 1 2