Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Neil Howe: It’s going to get worse; more financial crises coming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(10-24-2016, 05:06 AM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-29-2016, 04:18 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ](The Amish) have given up any prospect of living in the post-industrial age by maintaining technology (except for productivity of farm goods and their marketability -- refrigerators and even solar power are OK, but even a transistor radio is prohibited).

--- that's bcuz the Amish have this wierd thing that electricity is the tool of the devil. One of my Aunts used to live in Philly ( the birthplace of electricity, or @ least harnassing it Tongue ) & one summer I took one of my own nieces up to visit her & she took us out into the countryside to see an Amish village (in addition to farming, tourism is also big $) They do not hold with electricity, but they want the appliances- the fridges, the washers, & esp sewing machines since they make their own clothes- & it was amazing the way they jerryrigged them to work without electric. Now that I think of it these are all appliances that benefit women. My guess is the women are getting their menfolk to jerryrig these appliances. A/Cs otoh.. my Aunt told us you could tell an Amish house from a Mennonite house bcuz the Mennonite houses had A/Cs hanging out the windows

I found out that many have cell phones. It is possible to run appliances with generators... or maybe connect to a windmill. 

But I can imagine that the apps on an Amish cell phone are limited. Entertainment is suspect.(OK -- we should be controlling what goes into our minds just as the health-conscious control what they eat).
Pages: 1 2 3