Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(09-13-2016, 01:47 AM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]Hairspray was a movie from the late 80s that starred Sonny Bono and Ricky Lake. Then there is the remake with John Travolta.

While it usually works the other way around with musicals, first the broadway play, then the movie, with Hairspray they actually made a play from the movie.
(09-07-2016, 12:17 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-06-2016, 03:18 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2016, 07:47 PM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2016, 05:21 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2016, 02:07 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]There is a couple of things that you are forgetting.  One is that I don't really do red or blue and both teams  tend to embody the worst of the Boomers.  While their objectives may be different the means often tend to be the same.

Eric the (Green) is not merely an echo but rather still acts as if its 1968.  If he were living in Oregon he would have moved to Eugene which is where all the hippies went, this process started about 1985.  In the present Eugene seems to be populated by militant vegans.  A friend of mine was working at HP when one of them complained to her about eating a hamburger during a meeting.  In typical Xer fashion she started eating hamburgers at this vegan.  Militant vegans are the only people on Earth it is possible to eat a hamburger at.

Here is one thing you need to know about politics: Seventy percent of the population doesn't really matter because they are just picking the lesser of evils.  The remaining thirty percent are the ones that do matter because they are busy lining up the rest who do about as much thinking as a herd of cattle.  This is the crowd that tends to embody the worst of any population because they are doing even less thinking than the herd is.

Bob is looking back on the Awakening as a good time because for most of the Boomers it was.  They were simply too blitzed out or self-absorbed to notice much of anything.  The rest of us really didn't enjoy the experience.

You are trafficking in stereotypes again.

1. People can be priced into a vegan diet. It is safer and less expensive, and probably healthier. I'm from a farm family, and at my age going vegetarian would be almost as much a denial of the family culture as getting involved in an interracial marriage.

2. People are not voting for the 'lesser evil'; a very bad nominee like George McGovern got 37.52% of the popular vote in 1972. 36.54% of the electorate voted for Alf Landon against the FDR steamroller in 1936. I'm not saying that either was a really bad politician; it's just that everything went wrong with them as campaigners.  Do you really want to say that people who voted for Landon or McGovern were parts of the herd?

You are likely to find demographics (college-educated people in 1936 for Landon, blacks in 1972 for McGovern) who 'voted wrong'.

3. The Boom  Awakening may have been the optimal time for me to be a teenager. Even my authoritarian parents had to lighten up a bit.

I have encountered plenty of militant vegans myself in the People's Republic of Portland and they behave in much the same way out of the same sense of outraged moral superiority.  There just seem to be more of them in Eugene.  Ironically, one group that often goes vegetarian and does not generally behave this way are the Seventh-Day Adventists.

Given the rather limited choices, in reality they are voting for the lesser of evils.  Clearly there is some disagreement on what lesser evil might actually be.  In the end the herd tends to either vote for one of the major parties and refuse in general to consider any other possibility.  When I ask people about that they invariably tell me that they don't want to vote for someone who can't possibly win.  Sounds like herd behavior to me.

As I said before, it may have been good for you but it tended to suck for anybody else.  The usual self-absorbed behavior I have come to expect from Boomers in general.

The militant Vegan wackos are of all generations, and most Vegans actually hate the wackos.

I have yet to meet anything other than a militant Vegan.  They seem to have the same self-righteous attitude the bicyclists have around here.

That's probably because the non-militant Vegans quietly eat their tofu and don't bother anyone. By the way, Weird Al Yankovic is a Vegan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Weird_Al%22_Yankovic.
Quote:Yankovic changed his diet to become a vegan in 1992 after a former girlfriend gave him the book Diet for a New America and he felt "it made ... a very compelling argument for a strict vegetarian diet".[45][46] When asked how he can "rationalize" performing at events such as the Great American Rib Cook-Off when he is a vegan, he replied, "The same way I can rationalize playing at a college even though I'm not a student anymore."[47]
I like that attitude.
(09-07-2016, 02:46 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2016, 01:48 PM)Mikebert Wrote: [ -> ]Are you familiar the view that the US is like the UK, with what effectively is a virtual constitution?

https://nomocracyinpolitics.com/2013/12/...l-history/

The original concept of constitutional change by Amendment was proven false in the aftermath of the Civil War when Amendments were passed and then blatantly ignored without consequence for 70 years. After this abrogration of the Constitution it made less sense to use amendments to make fundamental changes and we moved to the British method.

Our problem is we are trying to straddle the fence. We either need to decide to get on the written Constitution side of the fence or the older, traditionally British virtual side. Now one interesting thing. If we go for the British side then we better darn well brush up on the Magna Carta.

No.  Our founding document would be the Declaration of Independence.
(09-13-2016, 11:17 AM)The Wonkette Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2016, 12:17 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-06-2016, 03:18 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2016, 07:47 PM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2016, 05:21 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]You are trafficking in stereotypes again.

1. People can be priced into a vegan diet. It is safer and less expensive, and probably healthier. I'm from a farm family, and at my age going vegetarian would be almost as much a denial of the family culture as getting involved in an interracial marriage.

2. People are not voting for the 'lesser evil'; a very bad nominee like George McGovern got 37.52% of the popular vote in 1972. 36.54% of the electorate voted for Alf Landon against the FDR steamroller in 1936. I'm not saying that either was a really bad politician; it's just that everything went wrong with them as campaigners.  Do you really want to say that people who voted for Landon or McGovern were parts of the herd?

You are likely to find demographics (college-educated people in 1936 for Landon, blacks in 1972 for McGovern) who 'voted wrong'.

3. The Boom  Awakening may have been the optimal time for me to be a teenager. Even my authoritarian parents had to lighten up a bit.

I have encountered plenty of militant vegans myself in the People's Republic of Portland and they behave in much the same way out of the same sense of outraged moral superiority.  There just seem to be more of them in Eugene.  Ironically, one group that often goes vegetarian and does not generally behave this way are the Seventh-Day Adventists.

Given the rather limited choices, in reality they are voting for the lesser of evils.  Clearly there is some disagreement on what lesser evil might actually be.  In the end the herd tends to either vote for one of the major parties and refuse in general to consider any other possibility.  When I ask people about that they invariably tell me that they don't want to vote for someone who can't possibly win.  Sounds like herd behavior to me.

As I said before, it may have been good for you but it tended to suck for anybody else.  The usual self-absorbed behavior I have come to expect from Boomers in general.

The militant Vegan wackos are of all generations, and most Vegans actually hate the wackos.

I have yet to meet anything other than a militant Vegan.  They seem to have the same self-righteous attitude the bicyclists have around here.

That's probably because the non-militant Vegans quietly eat their tofu and don't bother anyone. I like that attitude.

Good one.

As in practically all other things it is the in-your-face militant who draw attention to their cause and do it harm.
I went to get a haircut today, and decided to throw the barber a straight line. "Has anyone asked you for a Donald Trump Special?"

"I'd boot him out of my chair."
Donald Trump announces that he is officially quitting.

Well, sorta. He might as well, according to Seth!

(09-14-2016, 07:10 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Donald Trump announces that he is officially quitting.

Well, sorta. He might as well, according to Seth!

The way I figure it, it is not OK in the eyes of Trump or half of his supporters to call whites deplorable.  That is grounds to call Hillary to exit the race.  On the other hand, the Trump people are only insulting and vilifying minorities.  That's entirely different from their perspective...
And here's something that America needs address:

It’s a familiar and heartbreaking narrative. But it’s one you’ve likely only heard about developing countries, not the United States.

Some low-income U.S. teens who are desperate for food are engaging in transactional sex with older, wealthy adults in order to get something to eat, according to a report released Monday by Feeding America, a nonprofit food bank network, and the Urban Institute research group. While these teens have access to food banks and other resources, overwhelming stigma and logistical challenges often keep them from taking advantage of such programs.

These were the extreme cases reflected in the report, titled “Impossible Choices: Teens and Food Insecurity In America,” which details the coping strategies of teens who are food insecure. The findings were released alongside a second study, focusing on solutions to teen hunger.

Based on the data gathered, experts agree that federal programs and nonprofits need to take aggressive action to better protect this vulnerable demographic. The study authors admit that the most extreme situations are far from the norm, but they’re not totally sure how many young people face such circumstances.

“We don’t know how prevalent this is,” Emily Engelhard, managing director of research and evaluation at Feeding America, told The Huffington Post of these cases. “If there are two or three teens that are engaging in this behavior, or if there are 1,000 or more, that’s still too many. It’s really important for us to understand the extremes that teens are going to so that we can try and do a better job of helping them.”

There are nearly 7 million children between the ages of 10 and 17 in America who struggle with hunger. For these two new studies, researchers interviewed about 200 adolescents between the ages of 13 and 18 representing a range of poverty levels across 10 U.S. communities.

Some of those interviewed said they resort to “dating” significantly older men and, in exchange, get meals, material goods or cash.

“It’s really like selling yourself,” a teenage girl in Portland, Oregon, told the researchers. “You’ll do whatever you need to do to get money or eat.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/some...4b722c0f40?

We are not truly a rich country if we have poverty that compels people to become that desperate. Donald Trump's marble floor and gold-plated fixtures do not impress me so much as mass hunger appalls me. Oh -- it is misery that creates wealth? I think we can do better.
President Obama subs for Hillary! facebook video:

Read it (Newsweek)and weep. Donald Trump has plenty of lucrative deals all over the world. The Obama Administration 'failed' to prop up the good buddy of The Donald -- Moammar Qaddafi, who was going to have some lucrative deals set up with him.

If you are wondering why The Donald is kissing up to Vladimir Putin -- he has big plans for Russian real estate

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/09/23/donal...98081.html

Ask yourself whether you want a real-estate shyster involved in foreign policy.
(09-12-2016, 11:40 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Donald Trump said Friday night that he would shoot Iranian vessels "out of the water" if they bother American ships.

"Iran, when they circle our beautiful destroyers with their little boats and they make gestures at our people that they shouldn't be allowed to make, they will be shot out of the water," the GOP presidential candidate said at a campaign rally in Pensacola, Florida.

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-tr...ips-2016-9

Do you know what is paradoxical? The US and Iranian Navy have been cooperating in the suppression of piracy off the coastline of Somalia.

Even worse -- the laws of war do not establish obscene gestures as causes for military responses.
Some people admire the gold-plated faucets. Some people (I among them) consider those hideous. As far as I am concerned, stainless steel is pretty enough for that purpose.

Elect Donald Trump and you get a pay-to-play government. The more you pay, the more you get to bleed the Treasury. That's one way to get bloated budget deficits and government dysfunctional by any standard other than cronyism. This man will put international cronies over the American people.
Trevor Noah takes it to The Donald

Hey Trumpsters, you're not deplorable, you're hardworking Americans!

From Everytown:

Yesterday at a rally in Florida, Donald Trump hinted -- again -- at the possibility of violence against Hillary Clinton:

"I think that [Hillary Clinton's] bodyguards should drop all weapons. They should disarm. Immediately...Let's see what happens to her. Take their guns away, okay? It'll be very dangerous." [1]

It's shocking and disgusting. It's also the kind of rhetoric that gun extremists have been fueling for decades -- and now the NRA's candidate for president, Donald Trump, is giving these veiled threats of violence a national platform.

America needs a president who cares about reducing gun violence -- not someone who makes comments that are cruel jokes at best, or violent threats at worst. That's why we won't be silent.
I keep wondering how low he can go. Then he goes lower.

Political violence is simply un-American. The courts recognize it as a crime and do everything possible to quash any discussion of the political motivation of a terrorist. We don't get to know why Ted Kaczynski or Timothy McVeigh did their politically-charged bombings. They are seen as simply killers.

It just makes me sick to think that someone in the political mainstream can go this low. If elected, Donald Trump turns the policital mainstream into a sewer.
Comparing Donald Trump's behavior to that of a male chimpanzee would be an unconscionable insult -- unless the person making the comparison is one of the most renowned experts on chimpanzee behavior:

Donald Trump’s antics remind famed anthropologist Jane Goodall of the primates she spent decades studying in the wild.
“In many ways the performances of Donald Trump remind me of male chimpanzees and their dominance rituals,” Goodall told The Atlantic. “In order to impress rivals, males seeking to rise in the dominance hierarchy perform spectacular displays: stamping, slapping the ground, dragging branches, throwing rocks.”
Goodall added, “the more vigorous and imaginative the display, the faster the individual is likely to rise in the hierarchy, and the longer he is likely to maintain that position.”
To date, we’ve not seen Trump drag branches or throw rocks, although anything is possible. Instead of physical displays, the Republican presidential nominee has stuck to verbal ones ― bragging about his penis, launching personal attacks and resorting to racist and sexist insults.

Trump is set to debate his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, on Sept. 26. When it happens, Goodall told The Atlantic she’ll be thinking of “Mike,” a chimpanzee she studied that displayed dominance by kicking kerosene cans, creating a racket that sent would-be challengers fleeing. 
Unsurprisingly, Trump has already boasted that he will come out on top, telling The New York Times “I know how to handle Hillary.”
Whether his strategy includes childish tidbits has yet to be seen. Tony Schwartz, co-author of Trump’s book The Art of the Deal, however, bets it will. 
“Trump has severe attention problems and simply cannot take in complex information — he will be unable to practice for these debates,” Schwartz told the Times. “Trump will bring nothing but his bluster to the debates. He’ll use sixth-grade language, he will repeat himself many times, he won’t complete sentences, and he won’t say anything of substance.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trum...ction=&
I saw this on facebook:

[Image: 14317489_10209259704642599_9084086468109...e=5884A573]

And I thought, "he's both!"
(09-16-2016, 03:32 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2016, 02:39 PM)playwrite Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Trumpsters, you're not deplorable, you're hardworking Americans!

Big Grin
Tongue

Hey, "Sorry!" That's a BIG Justin Bieber song! It gets over a billion views, and it can't be played here?

Big Grin
Tongue

(don't worry, I won't post it.....)

I dedicate this post to Rags, who also sometimes can't resist posting the wrong things in the wrong place.

Hey, I'm just getting my, uh "KIX!"
CNN reporter Jeremy Diamond rants about how The Donald mistreats the press.  Donald Trump's surreal Friday, from press row