Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(01-28-2017, 04:45 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-28-2017, 04:31 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]No-one is asking to join in on what you prefer not to join.

It's not just Trump; that's true; his base is also stoking both the problems and opinions about them. But Drump is a talented speaker, star and demogogue who is able to stoke that base, and a bit beyond his base to sway other voters too.  I do give him credit for "doing what he said he'd do" to an extent, but because his approach is amateur, much of it won't stick, and much of it is destructive. He has deceptively spoken to real people with real problems too, as well as his base, and swayed them with lies that he is interested in the people. His actions are not what he said he'd do, in that respect. He is doing this stoking of fear and prejudice deliberately, for sure; it was his planned path to power. That's fact as I see it, not demonization. The entire Trump phenomenon is at-least somewhat demonic. That means it has taken possession of people.

You're habitually into religious thought.  You're into astrology, spiritualism and sometimes religion.  (At times, you seem to distinguish between spiritualism and religion, embracing the former, while distancing yourself from the latter.)

But are you for real serious in this demonic possession thing?  Do you think he'll be outlining pentagrams inside circles in salt in the Oval Office?  Is it time to call in exorcists?

Maybe, but I mean possession in a more general sense. People refer to "our own demons." Parts of ourselves get out of control. Playwrite referred to the amygdala, and I like that idea as well. There was a report on this recently. "The reactive mind," L. Ron Hubbard called it. That part of us that takes us over. Buddhists refer to it as the fire in us that needs to be put out; the attachment to cravings. And collectively, the same thing can happen to groups of people, stoked and stimuluted by the hypnotic charms and cries of a demagogue. Trump is definitely in that tradition, whether you go for the Hitler or Mussolini analogy, or less dangerous ones mentioned here like Father Coughlin or Huey Long, or the character in "It Can't Happen Here." They said it couldn't happen here? Well, it just did.

An exorcist might be needed, perhaps; but pentagrams? Those are just symbols of humanity, or of neo-pagan/wiccan natural religion, etc.
(01-28-2017, 04:33 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-28-2017, 04:00 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-28-2017, 02:52 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]All that's true, but now we have a president who seeks to deliberately stoke both the problems and opinions about them. This is an added factor that was not present in the 1850s or 1930s.

He made a bunch of promises that were very popular in the middle of the country.  He seems to be trying to keep them, with the notable exception of draining the swamp.  It seems like many of the promise keeping attempts are generating more outrage than kept promises.

I am not casually dismissing the possibility of a Buchanan / Hover class regeneracy producing catastrophe.   This seems entirely possible.  It doesn't seem inevitable yet, though.  He'll need more than a week to surpass Buchanan and Hover.

Nor does he seem to me to be deliberately stoking problems.  He is attempting to raise his ratings among his base by doing (mostly) what he said he'd do.  That's supposedly democracy in action.

I'm still not ready to join the efforts to demonize the guy.  No great loss, I suspect.  There is no lack of other people willing to step up.

Hear, hear!

Although one of his voters, I'm really not that great a fan of the man, but the present moral panic is bloody ridiculous.

I am panicking; not to my benefit though. Not only about the man, but the divided country and the new "reds" and how they behave.
(01-28-2017, 04:33 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Although one of his (Trump) voters, I'm really not that great a fan of the man, but the present moral panic is bloody ridiculous.

I don't know about that. Populist movements need something really visceral to counter, and Trump is about as perfect a symbol as I ca imagine.  Does that matter?  We'll see.  Marching and waving signs is not organizing.  If that's going on behind the scenes, then Trump's bluster may create a true opposition.  So far, it's mostly theater.
Now that Trump is president, it's time for more humor bashing, not less.

(01-30-2017, 01:21 PM)David Horn Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-28-2017, 04:33 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Although one of his (Trump) voters, I'm really not that great a fan of the man, but the present moral panic is bloody ridiculous.

I don't know about that. Populist movements need something really visceral to counter, and Trump is about as perfect a symbol as I ca imagine.  Does that matter?  We'll see.  Marching and waving signs is not organizing.  If that's going on behind the scenes, then Trump's bluster may create a true opposition.  So far, it's mostly theater.

Will see how it turns out.
[Image: 16387292_10211591638415673_1692321018605...e=591265D5]
Michael Moore trolls 'so-called President Trump' over his attack on judge

The Independent
Clarisse Loughrey
The Independent February 5, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/news/michael-moore...00501.html

There's been a certain trend of late of attempting to insult hired professionals by placing "so-called" in front of their job title.

A completely meaningless phrase, yet that hasn't deterred Donald Trump from using it to attack the (definitely called, as it is his profession) federal judge who temporarily blocked Trump's executive order banning entry into the United States from seven Muslim-majority countries.

US District Judge James Robart, who was appointed by President George Bush in 2003, issued a temporary restraining order against the Trump administration's restrictions, ruling that the ban would be immediately stopped nationwide.

Unsurprisingly, Trump's reaction was furious, taking to Twitter to declare: "the opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!"

Well, two can play at that game, Trump; with filmmaker Michael Moore responding to the tweet with pretty much the perfect answer. "Thank you, So-Called President Trump! I've been struggling for 2 weeks over what to call you, and your tweet here gave us the answer," he tweeted.

Michael Moore ✔ @MMFlint
Thank you, So-Called President Trump! I've been struggling for 2 weeks over what to call you, and your tweet here gave us the answer. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/stat...1054974976
6:39 PM - 4 Feb 2017

Moore was one of the few famous people to publicly predict that Donald Trump would become President, and recently also took to Twitter to deliver a warning that the US was currently in the middle of a coup, specifically in connection to Steven Bannon's role as senior advisor.

A federal appeals court has denied Donald Trump's request to immediately reinstate his travel ban on seven Muslim-majority countries, instead asking both the state of Washington and the Trump administration to file more arguments at the start of next week.
Baldwin's latest Drump imitation

Oh my goodness, the Jesus freaks in the red states might not like this!

[Image: 16406638_1413083322118051_64110100528507...e=59059B00]
(02-06-2017, 07:56 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Baldwin's latest Drump imitation

And this:

(02-07-2017, 12:11 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Oh my goodness, the Jesus freaks in the red states might not like this!

You're correct there Eric, they would have an issue.  Moi?

I'm tapping my feet for the return of this:

[Image: 1024px-Plantacja.jpg]

Just look at those poor plants. The Federal government says they're illegal weeds. they're innocent like puppies.
[Image: siberianhusky_moore1.jpg] Cool

This is going to be exhausting.
(02-07-2017, 12:26 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2017, 12:11 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Oh my goodness, the Jesus freaks in the red states might not like this!

You're correct there Eric, they would have an issue.  Moi?

I'm tapping my feet for the return of this:

[Image: 1024px-Plantacja.jpg]

Just look at those poor plants. The Federal government says they're illegal weeds. they're innocent like puppies.
[Image: siberianhusky_moore1.jpg] Cool

What are you waiting for? Move to California. We'll protect you. You can Calexit with us, man. Cool

Trump makes his priorities clear.
(02-07-2017, 12:11 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Oh my goodness, the Jesus freaks in the red states might not like this!

I don't think Trump's travel ban affects Jews from Israel. Wink
Lots to catch up on for John. Glad to have him back on the case!

(02-11-2017, 12:24 PM)The Wonkette Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't think Trump's travel ban affects Jews from Israel.  Wink

Well, you know how distorted Trump's perspective on this are.  He'll likely spin some distorted absurd fake news story claiming Christ was Christian.  Wink
From Twitter:
"New word "SCROTUS" - The "So Called Ruler Of The US"
[Image: 16807777_10206509248409410_6036318947048...e=59367090]
Trump just toured the Dakota pipeline. He said things went well!

[Image: 16426139_10209910937344806_2076660888861...e=592F6208]