Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(09-28-2018, 11:06 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-28-2018, 11:17 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-28-2018, 07:56 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]Intellectually hollow as our President is, he seems to act as if the only mind that matters is his own. That's not quite the complete story, as other minds might simply be irrelevant to him.

There is also a word for that: psychopathy (or narcissism at least).

In this respect, Trump is an embodiment of Thomistic Western civilization, which also behaved as if other cultures (e.g. the Chinese culture) didn't matter, even if these cultures were in some ways more sophisticated than the West.

Quote:It may be that he thinks that minds other than his are irrelevant, which gives him an impoverished view of the richness possible in those who recognize that there are far greater and more productive minds than their own. A truly great man can recognize that he is not Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Vermeer, or Bach. I encounter pretensions to superiority based upon class, power, or wealth and am unimpressed. I encounter intellectual greatness manifesting itself in delightful achievements, and I am humbled.

I don't think disliking Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Vermeer and Bach means that there is something wrong with the person. Many people, like me, prefer rock music.

Recognizing greatness in the arts, music or other achievements, whether it's rock or Bach, old or new, is being able to see the highest potentials in yourself; something to aspire to. Trump doesn't seem to have much capacity to look toward the greatness in others and aspire to something greater for himself. He doesn't seem to be interested in learning beyond his prejudices and desires. He is content to praise himself as he is, and boast and do positive thinking.
What do you have in common with Bach other than admiration the music he created a long time ago?
(09-28-2018, 11:31 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-28-2018, 07:56 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]Intellectually hollow as our President is, he seems to act as if the only mind that matters is his own. That's not quite the complete story, as other minds might simply be irrelevant to him.

In this respect, Trump is an embodiment of Thomistic Western civilization, which also behaved as if other cultures (e.g. the Chinese culture) didn't matter, even if these cultures were in some ways more sophisticated than the West.

Quote:It may be that he thinks that minds other than his are irrelevant, which gives him an impoverished view of the richness possible in those who recognize that there are far greater and more productive minds than their own. A truly great man can recognize that he is not Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Vermeer, or Bach. I encounter pretensions to superiority based upon class, power, or wealth and am unimpressed. I encounter intellectual greatness manifesting itself in delightful achievements, and I am humbled.

I don't think disliking Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Vermeer and Bach means that there is something wrong with the person. Many people, like me, prefer rock music.

Recognizing greatness in the arts, music or other achievements, whether it's rock or Bach, old or new, is being able to see the highest potentials in yourself; something to aspire to. Trump doesn't seem to have much capacity to look toward the greatness in others and aspire to something greater for himself. He doesn't seem to be interested in learning beyond his prejudices and desires. He is content to praise himself as he is, and boast and do positive thinking.
What do you have in common with Bach other than admiration  the music he created a long time ago?

Well, the point is not what I have in common with him now that I have actually realized, but that he inspires me and others toward aspiring to greater things, and to see beyond ourselves as we are. So I learned to play his music, and have played it in concerts and for churches. I have written some music like his, though far inferior to his, but who knows in the future. I have written my webpage about how his music is a portrait of the universe. And he inspired other composers whose music I also like, and inspire me also; including rock and new age music. His music may have been created a long time ago, but it is as vital and significant today as it was in his time. That's the real mark of "classic," Mr. Classic.
(09-27-2018, 03:40 PM)David Horn Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2018, 08:35 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]Trump is a dotard, but for some reason the MSM call him "childish" :/ This is an insult to children. Children are typically naively idealistic, but what they want is good. Trump is a heartless cynic, who wants only money, power and sex. This makes him a sort of living dead:

He is also a disgusting, palaeolithic embodiment of toxic masculinity. He sees himself as a warrior, but the only sword he can use is the pork sword.

Finally, Trump is an American version of Stalin - a brutal strongman who pretends to represent the working class. It's no coincidence that both make heavy use of the national identity concept.

The one side note that needs to be added: Trump sounded like this in the 1970s, 80s, 90s and ever since.  He's more like Bubble Boy -- never in the real word, only the one of his own creation.

Paul Craig Roberts is very much a product of the bi-partisan political consensus of another era and hardly a libertarian.  I like reading him since he provides some rather interesting insights without descending into the lunacy that pervades the establishment mentality of both major parties.  In his latest article on the Donald he provides two hypothesis into what his administration is doing.

You are correct that Trump has been saying pretty much the same things for decades and even into his 2016 campaign.  It was also pretty clear to me that he was trying to carry out his campaign promises ear;y in his adminstration.  Frankly, something that I am not used to seeing elected officials, particularly the President, actually do.  It also seems to me that the permanent bureaucracy is doing everything it can to maintain the status quo.

First, Roberts believes that the current actions of the administration will break Pax Americana.  In this it would appear that he is correct.  Given the number of thing going on, excessive public and private debt is but one, that look like late stage empire this outcome is probably inevitable even without Trump.

Second, he also believes that Trump is unaware of this going on.  This presumes that Trump is an idiot and in my experience idiots do not maintain business empires lasting the better part of half a century.  Maintaining any amount of wealth requires considerable foresight and idiots just can't manage that.  Also, he has had to have dealt with recalcitrant employees through the years in his own businesses and in the private sector it is much easier to get rid of such people.  If he is that bad a judge of people he would have went under years ago since he would have systematically surrounded himself with yes men and sank himself that way.  This did not happen.

In playing devils advocate Roberts came up with a second hypothesis which I find more persuasive.  It is that Trump is pulling the destruct switch in order to create a less dysfunctional situation.  If this is true than I am impressed because this is a very Xer thing to do and Boomers seem to only be capable of the destruction part.  Much of what Trump is doing now is preserving his long term goals while getting his opponents to destroy themselves.

I and some Xers did something very similar to the LPO twice from the nineties to the early twenty first century.   The Boomers never knew what hit them because they never understood that I wasn't playing the same game they were.  The short story is that the Boomers who held all the cards couldn't or wouldn't get anything useful done.  I reasoned that if the LPO could not or would not achieve its stated goals then its destruction would be no loss and the rest of the Xers agreed with me that we were in the no-win scenario.  That was when they turned me loose.  The second time was even worse for them because an even more ruthless Xer came along who was even better at this game.  I do respect competence.  As a result the LPO is now doing much better.

I know what getting people to destroy themselves looks like because of the many times I have done it myself.  Given how the Dims seem to be currently going insane it looks like Trump has found their psychological weak spot and is going for the kill.  Just not in the usual way.
(09-28-2018, 11:31 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]

What do you have in common with Bach other than admiration  the music he created a long time ago?

Least important: that I am about half German or German-Swiss in ancestry. I have heard some excellent performances of the cantatas of J S Bach -- from Japan. These largely-vocal works involve people whose languages could hardly be more dissimilar in phonology. There must be something universal in Bach for his appeal to people of high intelligence. being able to get something thoroughly foreign and not at the lowest common denominator of appeal. I also love the music of Gustav Mahler, who was never accepted as a German despite a German culture (he was a Czech Jew, which is about as culturally as German as one can get!). In the blood? So far as I know I have no Jewish ancestry, which surprises me in view of my recognition of the Ashkenazim as cultural brethren. I also love Puccini, whose vocal expressions are as strong as those in Bach's vocal cantatas. I do not have Italian ancestry, either. Bach as a relative? Only in spirit. My German ancestors are from the wrong parts of the German-speaking world... Switzerland, Baden-Wurttemberg, Alsace (now in France), and the Rheinland. I love Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, and Bruckner, too, but my ancestors did not come from Austria, so I doubt that I am in any way related to them.

The well-recognized composer to which I am most closely related is Charles Ives. Interesting, but nowhere near Bach. I do genealogy, but I don't look deeply into German relatives. I don't want to find any Holocaust perpetrators.

No connection: I am nowhere near his level of competence in any musical activity as a creator or performer. Should you ask musicians what they think of Bach, they will be in awe. He could write incredibly simple music well suited to musical expression to fit their personalities.  I have gone more for breadth of compositional style than depth of individual performance of specific works, but if there is one set of works that I would love to hear different individual performances it is his Suites for solo cello. Vastly different as Casals and Rostropovich could be in their performances of these masterworks, they are both right. That says much about Casals and Rostropovich. That also says much about  J  S Bach. Bach in his time was as much a virtuoso performer on harpsichord, violin, cello, and organ as he was splendid as a composer.

Three hundred years later, Bach's music is still powerful. It is incredibly versatile, as well; I have heard convincing jazz performances of Bach works. It is not that I have a personal connection to the music; the music connects to me. Some cultural efforts are ephemera that people outgrow, and some are worthy through the ages. Even as a ruin the Parthenon is still magnificent. The pyramids and the Sphinx still awe us. Much of the cultural effort from the 1920s, a decade for which few people showed any attachment once it was over, is rightly forgotten. Is it the mathematical precision of his composition that gets me? Maybe. Likewise Mahler.
(09-29-2018, 05:48 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2018, 08:35 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]... Trump is an American version of Stalin - a brutal strongman who pretends to represent the working class. It's no coincidence that both make heavy use of the national identity concept.

The one side note that needs to be added: Trump sounded like this in the 1970s, 80s, 90s and ever since.  He's more like Bubble Boy -- never in the real word, only the one of his own creation.

You are correct that Trump has been saying pretty much the same things for decades and even into his 2016 campaign.  It was also pretty clear to me that he was trying to carry out his campaign promises early in his administration.  Frankly, something that I am not used to seeing elected officials, particularly the President, actually do.  It also seems to me that the permanent bureaucracy is doing everything it can to maintain the status quo.

First, Paul Craig Roberts believes that the current actions of the administration will break Pax Americana.  In this it would appear that he is correct.  Given the number of thing going on, excessive public and private debt is but one, that look like late stage empire this outcome is probably inevitable even without Trump.

Second, he also believes that Trump is unaware of this going on.  This presumes that Trump is an idiot and in my experience idiots do not maintain business empires lasting the better part of half a century.  Maintaining any amount of wealth requires considerable foresight and idiots just can't manage that.  Also, he has had to have dealt with recalcitrant employees through the years in his own businesses and in the private sector it is much easier to get rid of such people.  If he is that bad a judge of people he would have went under years ago since he would have systematically surrounded himself with yes men and sank himself that way.  This did not happen.

Actually, Trump is a poor businessman who succeeds by ignoring the rules and, frankly, the law as well. At that, he's still managed to bankrupt himself more than once, saving himself through nefarious business activities, money laundering being the most obvious. So your premise fails. Trump is not clever. He's cunning, but so is a wolf. I doubt we would elect the head of a wolfpack to the office he holds, so why Trump?
(09-27-2018, 08:35 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]Trump is a dotard, but for some reason the MSM call him "childish" :/ This is an insult to children. Children are typically naively idealistic, but what they want is good. Trump is a heartless cynic, who wants only money, power and sex. This makes him a sort of living dead:

He is also a disgusting, palaeolithic embodiment of toxic masculinity. He sees himself as a warrior, but the only sword he can use is the pork sword.

Finally, Trump is an American version of Stalin - a brutal strongman who pretends to represent the working class. It's no coincidence that both make heavy use of the national identity concept.

Paul Craig Roberts is very much a product of the bi-partisan political consensus of another era and hardly a libertarian.  I like reading him since he provides some rather interesting insights without descending into the lunacy that pervades the establishment mentality of both major parties.  In his latest article on the Donald he provides two hypothesis into what his administration is doing.

You are correct that Trump has been saying pretty much the same things for decades and even into his 2016 campaign.  It was also pretty clear to me that he was trying to carry out his campaign promises early in his administration.  Frankly, something that I am not used to seeing elected officials, particularly the President, actually do.  It also seems to me that the permanent bureaucracy is doing everything it can to maintain the status quo.

First, Roberts believes that the current actions of the administration will break Pax Americana.  In this it would appear that he is correct.  Given the number of thing going on, excessive public and private debt is but one, that look like late stage empire this outcome is probably inevitable even without Trump.

In playing devils advocate Roberts came up with a second hypothesis which I find more persuasive.  It is that Trump is pulling the destruct switch in order to create a less dysfunctional situation.  If this is true than I am impressed because this is a very Xer thing to do and Boomers seem to only be capable of the destruction part.  Much of what Trump is doing now is preserving his long term goals while getting his opponents to destroy themselves.

I and some Xers did something very similar to the LPO twice from the nineties to the early twenty first century.   The Boomers never knew what hit them because they never understood that I wasn't playing the same game they were.  The short story is that the Boomers who held all the cards couldn't or wouldn't get anything useful done.  I reasoned that if the LPO could not or would not achieve its stated goals then its destruction would be no loss and the rest of the Xers agreed with me that we were in the no-win scenario.  That was when they turned me loose.  The second time was even worse for them because an even more ruthless Xer came along who was even better at this game.  I do respect competence.  As a result the LPO is now doing much better.

I know what getting people to destroy themselves looks like because of the many times I have done it myself.  Given how the Dims [sic!] seem to be currently going insane it looks like Trump has found their psychological weak spot and is going for the kill.  Just not in the usual way.

The Boomers who hold all the cards are those who wield the wealth and institutional power. They follow oil billionaire H. L. Hunt's dictum "he who owns the gold makes the rules". The Lost (like Hunt) were as rapacious as any generation, but they could never get away with what Boomer elites get away with easily. America used to be prone to tax conspicuous consumption heavily and have a tax system that favored small business over monopolized, vertically-integrated firms. That is over.

Have you watched the Kavanaugh hearings? I saw Cory Booker cut him down with language of mathematical precision. I don't see Booker as one to create a Boomer/X divide any more than Obama did. Booker has found the weak spots of Trump.  He will not be alone at that.
Galen speaks from the point of view of the Establishment; the wealth elite which his libertarian philosophy empowers. It is not the perspective of leftys and liberals like me. We'll see what happens. I'd say Bill the Piper, David and pbrower have him pegged pretty well.
(09-29-2018, 09:56 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]The Boomers who hold all the cards are those who wield the wealth and institutional power. They follow oil billionaire H. L. Hunt's dictum "he who owns the gold makes the rules". The Lost (like Hunt) were as rapacious as any generation, but they could never get away with what Boomer elites get away with easily. America used to be prone to tax conspicuous consumption heavily and have a tax system that favored small business over monopolized, vertically-integrated firms. That is over.

Have you watched the Kavanaugh hearings? I saw Cory Booker cut him down with language of mathematical precision. I don't see Booker as one to create a Boomer/X divide any more than Obama did. Booker has found the weak spots of Trump.  He will not be alone at that.

Pretty boy Spartacus, who many X'ers are capable of seeing through the pretty black boy exterior of his and identify the nasty blue traits that people are starting to see, recognize and learning to hate these day. Dude, it's funny you chose him because he is the one I would choose to use or pick a fight with and use to make an example of in a way which divides blue America in two. I want to meet Marty Booker face to face. I'd like to ask Marty Booker if he would prefer good old American justice or ugly old street justice determining his fate. I want him to ask himself if the guy asking him questions about his seems like the guy who gives a shit about his fate and asking himself whether this guy believes in granting preferential treatment to wealthier blacks who live in or represent wealthier blue districts. I'd also want him to ask himself whether this guy seems like the kind of guy who COULD hurt him, damage him, harm him or limit in any way as a man. I what seen the other day was a cheap form of nasty blue street justice. WHO THE FUCK RAISED THEM? WHO TAUGHT THEM THEIR VALUES? WHAT HAPPENS TO BLUES WHOSE VALUES AND CHOICES OR VIEWS AND DECISIONS DON'T MATCH ENOUGH DEMOCRATIC VOTERS THESE DAYS?
(09-29-2018, 09:18 AM)David Horn Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2018, 08:35 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]... Trump is an American version of Stalin - a brutal strongman who pretends to represent the working class. It's no coincidence that both make heavy use of the national identity concept.

First, Paul Craig Roberts believes that the current actions of the administration will break Pax Americana.  In this it would appear that he is correct.  Given the number of thing going on, excessive public and private debt is but one, that look like late stage empire this outcome is probably inevitable even without Trump.

Actually, Trump is a poor businessman who succeeds by ignoring the rules and, frankly, the law as well.  At that, he's still managed to bankrupt himself more than once, saving himself through nefarious business activities, money laundering being the most obvious.  So your premise fails.  Trump is not clever.  He's cunning, but so is a wolf.  I doubt we would elect the head of a wolfpack to the office he holds, so why Trump?
Oh, I think you're down playing Trump as usual. Trump is both clever and cunning. I mean, look at the way he's been playing the liberal media. The guy is a master tactician who is very familiar with the tools of the modern age. He has a large American following who is vocal who aren't afraid to call liberals idiots and fun of them and hurt their precious blue feelings.
(09-29-2018, 06:41 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2018, 09:18 AM)David Horn Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, Trump is a poor businessman who succeeds by ignoring the rules and, frankly, the law as well.  At that, he's still managed to bankrupt himself more than once, saving himself through nefarious business activities, money laundering being the most obvious.  So your premise fails.  Trump is not clever.  He's cunning, but so is a wolf.  I doubt we would elect the head of a wolfpack to the office he holds, so why Trump?
Oh, I think you're down playing Trump as usual. Trump is both clever and cunning. I mean, look at the way he's been playing the liberal media. The guy is a master tactician who is very familiar with the tools of the modern age. He has a large American following who is vocal who aren't afraid to call liberals idiots and fun of them and hurt their precious blue feelings.

It is this blind hatred, sometimes called Trump Derangement Syndrome, that causes his opponents to underestimate him.  I have know doubt Trump is using this to his advantage because he understands something that you do not.  His enemies are going to hate him no matter what so Trump might as well use that hatred to keep his opponents from thinking straight and hopefully get them to alienate their support from those with less extreme feelings.

David you are overlooking one very important fact, even when the odds are against him Trump still manages to find a way to win.  This is not a characteristic of an idiot.
(09-29-2018, 02:01 PM)Eric the Obtuse Wrote: [ -> ]Galen speaks from the point of view of the Establishment; the wealth elite which his libertarian philosophy empowers. It is not the perspective of leftys and liberals like me. We'll see what happens. I'd say Bill the Piper, David and pbrower have him pegged pretty well.

The political establishment in this country is hardly libertarian in nature.  If anything Paul Craig Roberts is a product of a political establishment which favors a much larger government than I do.

Thank you for demonstrating your stupidity yet again.
(09-29-2018, 05:41 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2018, 09:56 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]The Boomers who hold all the cards are those who wield the wealth and institutional power. They follow oil billionaire H. L. Hunt's dictum "he who owns the gold makes the rules". The Lost (like Hunt) were as rapacious as any generation, but they could never get away with what Boomer elites get away with easily. America used to be prone to tax conspicuous consumption heavily and have a tax system that favored small business over monopolized, vertically-integrated firms. That is over.

Pretty boy Spartacus, who many X'ers are capable of seeing through the pretty black boy exterior of his and identify the nasty blue traits that people are starting to see, recognize and learning to hate these day. Dude, it's funny you chose him because he is the one I would choose to use or pick a fight with and use to make an example of in a way which divides blue America in two. I want to meet Marty Booker face to face. I'd like to ask Marty Booker if he would prefer good old American justice or ugly old street justice determining his fate. I want him to ask himself if the guy asking him questions about his seems like the guy who gives a shit about his fate and asking himself whether this guy believes in granting preferential treatment to wealthier blacks who live in or represent wealthier blue districts. I'd also want him to ask himself whether this guy seems like the kind of guy who COULD hurt him, damage him, harm him or limit in any way as a man. I what seen the other day was a cheap form of nasty blue street justice. WHO THE FUCK RAISED THEM? WHO TAUGHT THEM THEIR VALUES? WHAT HAPPENS TO BLUES WHOSE VALUES AND CHOICES OR VIEWS AND DECISIONS DON'T MATCH ENOUGH DEMOCRATIC VOTERS THESE DAYS?

I predict Cory Booker won't win the nomination. He has a low 6-7 score. I once thought it was higher, but me knowing his birthtime revised his score. A low score means only that he would not appeal enough to Americans to be elected president. Many people look to him as another Obama. But Obama's score is 19-2. Booker is a bit over-the-top sometimes.

There is nothing to hate in him though, among those who can see truth and justice. I doubt he could win a physical brawl with the old football Brat, although it might be a close call, but I guess reds like Classic Xer thinks that is some sort of determining factor. I guess he thinks we should set up a brawl to determine who sits in the oval office. Well, I know one guy with an 11-2 or better score who offered one. ha ha!

Again so incoherent that I cannot understand it. Please do not post when drunk or on drugs.
Our new supreme court: 8 bookish nerds and the hulk.
Nothing says I'm not capable of sexual assault like flying into an unhinged rage.
Trump gave his man whiny little bitch lessons.
I can't be a sex criminal; I'm a catholic!

And something for Steve Bannon fans!
Maybe Hillary would be president if she were more confident! (IOW not high enough horoscope score) Bannon has 10-5!
FoX News polls have typically been objective:

[Image: get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fa57.foxnews.com%2Fi...=600&h=265]

It's probably even worse now. Republicans ought to contemplate whether obeying the Great and Infallible Leader is worth losing an election for.
(09-29-2018, 10:13 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]

Again so incoherent that I cannot understand it. Please do not post when drunk or on drugs.
I'm sorry that I'm not a professional writer and my writing isn't always written the best and cleanly written in a way that's crystal clear. You should probably learn to keep your mouth shut about stuff that you don't know about someone so you don't say something stupid that's wrong/false or falsely accuse someone of being something they're not or being in a certain mind frame that they weren't like a habitual drinker or drug user like you just did here.

I'm not Brett Kavanaugh. I'm not as restricted like Brett Kavanaugh. I don't have to sit there listening to bullshit, listening to Democratic lawmakers who don't seem to know the American law system or if they do they don't seem care about it, don't seem to be willing acknowledge it/respect it and value it like they should as American citizens.
(09-30-2018, 10:58 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]FoX News polls have typically been objective:

[Image: get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fa57.foxnews.com%2Fi...=600&h=265]

It's probably even worse now. Republicans ought to contemplate whether obeying the Great and Infallible Leader is worth losing an election for.
I wonder how many of those Democrats could be eliminated or excluded for something they may or may not have said or done sometime during their high school years and early college years. Like I said, living in blue America might end up being viewed as being to scary for the Democrats.
(09-30-2018, 11:55 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2018, 10:13 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm sorry that I'm not a professional writer and my writing isn't always written the best and cleanly written in a way that's crystal clear. You should probably learn to keep your mouth shut about stuff that you don't know about someone so you don't say something stupid that's wrong/false or falsely accuse someone of being something they're not or being in a certain mind frame that they weren't like a habitual drinker or drug user like you just did here.

I think that I am very good about not posting what I do not know without saying that something is on  the fringe of my knowledge. It is my opinion that Kavanaugh is a problem drinker because whole in the confirmation process he said "I still like beer". I know and have known alcoholics, and unless one is in the booze business, is an anti-alcohol crusader, or in an activity related to the treatment or study of alcohol or its effects (including law enforcement)... people who talk about their alcohol consumption in incongruous and inappropriate situations usually is a problem drinker. There are things that one can say at a job interview that will keep you from getting a job, and discussing one's heavy drinking is one of them.

OK, I enjoy a good beer, and I can tell you that the best beer that I have ever had is an import from somewhere in central Europe... having one of those was on a bucket list of things to do before I die or, worse, end up permanently incarcerated in a nursing home. Many of those things are travel destinations that seem to be drifting away... and Las Vegas and Walt Disney World are not on them. Getting luxuries that simply show that one has the means in which to waste money is not on them. New York City and Yellowstone National Park are still on my list. Still, I prefer to attend events in which getting drunk is not a reasonable expectation. Drunkenness often brings out the worst in people, although I can say about myself that one drink dissolves my anxiety that goes with Asperger's syndrome.

Quote:I'm not Brett Kavanaugh. I'm not as restricted like Brett Kavanaugh. I don't have to sit there listening to bullshit, listening to Democratic lawmakers who don't seem to know the American law system or if they do they don't seem care about it, don't seem to be willing acknowledge it/respect it and value it like they should as American citizens.

Most of those Democratic lawmakers are attorneys, and they know the law system -- including the American heritage of jurisprudence -- very well. They wouldn't be on the Senate Judiciary Committee if they were not concerned with the legal system and what sort of process  goes on in the federal courts. You disagree with them on what the law rightly is.

My knowledge of law is limited to a course on business law in college, which is enough to tell me little more than (1) before doing something stupid or even suspect, consult a lawyer who will charge you a hefty fee to dissuade you from doing such, (2) that the legal process is capricious and inscrutable even to attorneys, (3) legal precedents are necessary for preventing legal anarchy that would make business deals very risky, (4) the courts are the wrong place for partisan activity, and (5) that unless one is an attorney, one is extremely ignorant of law. There -- I said it. But it is still clear that Donald Trump has nominated someone grossly unfit to serve as a Justice of the Supreme Court. This man is nominated for holding opinions of the law very different from the legal heritage of America. He is young enough that he could outlast President Trump by a few years if his alcoholic liver or diabetes does not get him first, but he would be a sick joke to a President with a temperament similar to that of Barack Obama. 

Don't fool yourself -- once we are in a 1T we are going to have Presidents with temperaments similar to that of John Adams, Grover Cleveland, and Dwight Eisenhower, whether they be liberal or conservative. That goes with being a mature Reactive/Nomad of the type that America has typically ended up between Idealist/Prophet types and Civic types. They are as straight-laced as they can be, and they do not stir up trouble. Obama is that type, and however liberal he may be on human rights, he is an arch-conservative on jurisprudence. He did not look to the Supreme Court to rescue or promote his politics. Trump wants someone to bring his philosophy to the legal process, and he has chosen someone who believes that he can promote the Trump agenda after Trump. Add to that the bonus that he is a problem drinker.

We need clear (and I don't mean in the sense of the word as in use in $cientology) thinkers on every bench. Judgeship of any kind is all thought, so to a layman the job looks like a sinecure. The activity is so cerebral that it must be done with the clearest mind (one certainly not in an alcoholic haze) possible. Law is intricate and arcane, and unless the political leadership is corrupt, despotic, or dictatorial law is how we decide the most important disparities in life -- life and death in capital cases, freedom and imprisonment in non-capital criminal cases, and who owns what or can expect what in property disputes. Bret Kavanaugh falls far short for his alcoholism and his extreme partisanship both wholly unsuited for the Supreme Court.

Is this out of concern for the conservative bias that I expect from Donald Trump? I expect nothing other than reactionary jurists to get his nomination. Yes, it is my opinion that Donald Trump is the worst President that we could have for reasons other than his ideology. I have seen the consequences of demagogues in power in other countries in history, and I could not expect better in America just because this is America. I dread ethnic and religious animus for what it can do. At the extreme there is Nazi Germany, where people were murdered for the religion of their grandparents. Less extreme is the degrading order of Apartheid in South Africa. Ethnic and religious animus are thefts from human dignity, and even a small theft (filching a Jackson from the till at the store so that you can have lunch) is a vile deed.

Trump can choose someone else, someone amenable to his philosophy, and more subtle in expressing it.
(10-01-2018, 07:44 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]I think that I am very good about not posting what I do not know without saying that something is on  the fringe of my knowledge. It is my opinion that Kavanaugh is a problem drinker because whole in the confirmation process he said "I still like beer". I know and have known alcoholics, and unless one is in the booze business, is an anti-alcohol crusader, or in an activity related to the treatment or study of alcohol or its effects (including law enforcement)... people who talk about their alcohol consumption in incongruous and inappropriate situations usually is a problem drinker. There are things that one can say at a job interview that will keep you from getting a job, and discussing one's heavy drinking is one of them.

OK, I enjoy a good beer, and I can tell you that the best beer that I have ever had is an import from somewhere in central Europe... having one of those was on a bucket list of things to do before I die or, worse, end up permanently incarcerated in a nursing home. Many of those things are travel destinations that seem to be drifting away... and Las Vegas and Walt Disney World are not on them. Getting luxuries that simply show that one has the means in which to waste money is not on them. New York City and Yellowstone National Park are still on my list. Still, I prefer to attend events in which getting drunk is not a reasonable expectation. Drunkenness often brings out the worst in people, although I can say about myself that one drink dissolves my anxiety that goes with Asperger's syndrome.  

He claimed he still likes beer and you've claimed that you enjoy a good beer too. What's wrong with what was said by either one of you in America today? Are you a problem drinker just by saying/admitting that to me in public? So, it's all about drinking now. Liberals are clever and manipulative little beasts but unfortunately we are just as clever and a lot more cunning. We'll have to see how this pans out for the liberals now that the FBI's involved and free to check out/ investigate the validity of Dr Fords claims and accusations. You see, this is now a serious national matter which will require further investigation into the allegations and the character and the history of Dr. Ford as well.
Our new supreme court: 8 bookish nerds and the hulk.
Nothing says I'm not capable of sexual assault like flying into an unhinged rage.
Trump gave his man whiny little bitch lessons.
I can't be a sex criminal; I'm a catholic!

And something for Steve Bannon fans!
Maybe Hillary would be president if she were more confident! (IOW not high enough horoscope score) Bannon has 10-5!

https://youtu.be/egVlN-kBjZg