Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: the best songs ever: the lost years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
(07-12-2016, 02:07 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Are you going to post Green Day later?

No.  I have some good o'le Ratt for you.  You're a special snowflake you know. Big Grin

Ready to rumble for election 2016.   Cool
(07-20-2016, 07:25 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-12-2016, 02:07 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Are you going to post Green Day later?

No.  I have some good o'le Ratt for you.  You're a special snowflake you know. Big Grin

Ready to rumble for election 2016.   Cool

I wouldn't have expected him to post Green Day. I never thought he would actually like 3T bands.
No thanks for any Ratt (actually I listened a bit). I didn't post Green Day; I wondering if you guys will. But yes, I liked them, and some other POST-punk or POP-punk bands, as opposed to hard core punk, grunge, metal. etc. I couldn't abide Loveless for long, but perhaps because the song was from the 2T, the Slowdive song was pretty good once you actually dived in; it took a while for the "water" to warm up.

The best 3T songs, and always music that was still music, were in the new age and/or singer-songwriter genres. New Age was not all great stuff either, but some real gems were made. Canada was, and still remains, a good source. Loreena McKennitt in the early 1990s made an album called The Visit, featuring these two goodies. The first is another example bewitched music, as several of hers were. And neo-pagan. All Souls Night

And scenic, but sad and wistful Arthurian romantic poetry, set to wonderful melody, sound and voice, makes for what many critics call her best performance. The Lady of Shalott. And sounding a bit like Melanie.

(07-20-2016, 11:11 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]No thanks for any Ratt. I didn't post Green Day; I wondering if you guys will. But yes, I liked them, and some other POST-punk or POP-punk bands, as opposed to hard core punk, grunge, metal. etc. I couldn't abide Loveless for long, but perhaps because the song was from the 2T, the Slowdive song was pretty good once you actually dived in; it took a while for the "water" to warm up.

The best 3T songs, and always music that was still music, were in the new age and/or singer-songwriter genres. New Age was not all great stuff either, but some real gems were made. Canada was, and still remains, a good source. Loreena McKennitt in the early 1990s made an album called The Visit, featuring these two goodies. The first is another example bewitched music, as several of hers were. And neo-pagan. All Souls Night

And scenic, but sad and wistful Arthurian romantic poetry, set to wonderful melody, sound and voice, makes for what many critics call her best performance. The Lady of Shalott. And sounding a bit like Melanie.

Here is some Green Day for you, Eric. I think Basket Case is one of their classics, and it's from their album Dookie, released in 1994.

(07-20-2016, 01:29 AM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, Metallica's self titled album (the "Black album") was released in 1991, and was highly acclaimed.  I wasn't really into Metallica back then, but I recognize their importance.  

Likewise for Green Day, while I acknowledge that they were a popular and influential band, they never really interested me that much.  Not saying there's anything bad about either band, just not among my personal favorites.  I'd probably prefer Metallica, between the two.
[quote defaultattr='']
Eric the Green [/qote] No thanks for any Ratt (actually I listened a bit).

[/quote]

I know.  I did it 'cause I'm ornery. Big Grin  Dunno, but maybe that's in my stars...

Quote:I didn't post Green Day; I wondering if you guys will. But yes, I liked them, and some other POST-punk or POP-punk bands, as opposed to hard core punk, grunge, metal. etc. I couldn't abide Loveless for long, but perhaps because the song was from the 2T, the Slowdive song was pretty good once you actually dived in; it took a while for the "water" to warm up.

Well, sometimes the bracing chill of a mountain stream dip works wonders.  I've done that.

Quote:. The first is another example bewitched music, as several of hers were. And neo-pagan. All Souls Night

The one I left, not bad.  It has fires.

Wicca stuff. Coming up.

Anyhow Wicca is awesome stuff. Cool
More 1991:  From Massive Attack's debut album, Blue Lines.

(07-20-2016, 11:56 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2016, 11:48 PM)gabrielle Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2016, 01:29 AM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, Metallica's self titled album (the "Black album") was released in 1991, and was highly acclaimed.  I wasn't really into Metallica back then, but I recognize their importance.  

Likewise for Green Day, while I acknowledge that they were a popular and influential band, they never really interested me that much.  Not saying there's anything bad about either band, just not among my personal favorites.  I'd probably prefer Metallica, between the two.

Same. I would pick Metallica over Green Day too. I cannot stand Green Day. I am new to Metallica. Getting more and more into metal as I get older.Yes I will always love the music Eric says I would get punched over by some insecure xers but i have an ear for other genres also. I am getting to be quite fond of Metallica and am eager to hear some other goodies from them.

Huh?  Oh you mean the 90s/2000s pop music.  I will go back and have a listen eventually and let you know if there's anything that strikes me.  Though I must warn you I do not care for Britney Spears anymore than Justin Bieber.  Probably even less, actually.
I like that Green Day song, although it's one of their rougher ones. Metal guitar is usually too brutal and the voice too mean to ever qualify as bewitched, as I define it; even if it claims to be wiccan. But Green Day songs are melodic, and the singer's adolescent voice is charming to me for some reason.
Let's continue on the Wicca thingie.  It reminded me of an full album.

A Windham Hill master from the 80s.

Kinda the polar opposite of metal. Calming, reflective, masterful.
Gish, the 1991 debut album by the Chigago band Smashing Pumpkins.  Brilliant stuff.  Certainly my favorite Smashing Pumpkins album.

Praised for its "galloping riffs" and "trippy feedback hazes," this would become the highest selling independently released album ever, until Offspring's Smash in 1994.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gish

Primus sucks!

From the 1991 release Sailing the Seas of Cheese.  There must be something about the mentality of the times that a band this weird could become as popular as they were.  Their 1993 album debuted in the top 10, they headlined Lollapalooza.  Would Primus have become popular today?

Fun crowd--

Tom Waits on this one as Tommy the Cat.

Temple of the Dog was a side project involving members of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, as a tribute to the late Andrew Wood, lead singer of Mother Love Bone.  This song and video might be a bit corny, but I still like it and it gives me the nostalgic feels.  This album was released in the spring of 1991, months ahead of either band's breakthrough hit albums, and later became a hit itself.

"Well I don't mind stealing bread
From the mouths of decadence
But I can't feed on the powerless
When my cup's already overfilled

Yeah
But it's on the table
The fire's cooking
And they're farming babies
The slaves are all working

Blood is on the table
The mouths are all choking
But I'm goin' hungry"
7 Times Uncle Tupelo Predicted This Political Mess We’re In

I have to say, there were many 3T songs predicting the social/political mess we're in today.
Songs from the 3T, songs from the 2T; it doesn't matter, Donald Trump uses them all, and without permission, and really ironic!! Talk about giving us what WE want in terms of lyrics about Drumpf! The artists have a new song for you and the other politicians, Donald!

(07-26-2016, 12:38 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Songs from the 3T, songs from the 2T; it doesn't matter, Donald Trump uses them all, and without permission, and really ironic!! Talk about giving us what WE want in terms of lyrics about Drumpf! The artists have a new song for you and the other politicians, Donald!

Flood from They Might Be Giants was a cool album, actually.  I neglected to mention it when covering 1990.  Here are another couple of songs:

Oh, that time period,  OK.

May Eric's ears bleed some more, man.
No, they won't. Thanks for the warning.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18