Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: The Partisan Divide on Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(04-19-2020, 02:15 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-19-2020, 10:20 AM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]Whoa hey what is your problem? Why do you incite violence in speech? Logic and reason is not shown in those words you just said so practice what you preach and stick to logic and reason without throwing in violence. Violent speech is weak in logic and reason. Keep it up, i will report you.
Are you going to report me for exercising my right to free speech?

When one exercises a right, one is still held responsible for violations of the rights of others.

(04-19-2020, 02:15 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]Violence is a reality.

The right to be free of violence is one such case. Inciting violence is one of the things first responders and moderators should properly respond to.
(04-19-2020, 12:36 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]Because neither racism nor free-floating anger has any rational justification, the violence that comes from their combination offers no exculpation. The mass shootings, whatever their cause, ordinarily result in prosecutions for murder or attempted murder. You project in Eric what may be true about you. 

I do not see Eric as an angry or mean-spirited person. He isn't spouting off bigotry. Contempt for Donald Trump? Tens of millions have that in America alone, and his image overseas isn't flattering. Do bad things and exposure becomes infamy. People who admire contemptible behavior are contemptible... Hillary Clinton was right in her assessment of Trump supporters who have treated a 200-year heritage of democracy in contempt as deplorable. 

Your language in this paragraph is stochastic terrorism. Get help! I suggest that you take a time-out from posting here. I would not be surprised that the FNI, BATF, Secret Service, and Minnesota state police have programs to detect language like yours. Yes, this is a rough time. It is lonely, boring, and frustrating. Welcome to the club. I chafe under the distress in a bad living arrangement that gives me no obvious or easy escape even in good times.  I don't want to go into the detail but for all practical purposes my sole contact with the rest of Humanity other than my brother and his girlfriend  is electronic. There's a bad electrical circuit that has cut off the Internet and cable TV for me much of the time. 

The near-lockdown of life during this Crisis (and it really is one) tests anyone with any mental problems, including those that most people can cover at the least with some diversion. Get help! Mental illness is real. I know that others depend upon you as employees and as family members. Do not betray them by doing something stupid. The shame comes from failure to address problems that you have because that failure can bring great tragedy to innocent people. There's much that I find contemptible about our economic system and the power structure that intertwines with it. Maybe I have more awareness of the lessons of history -- that self-righteous blood-letting promotes even more blood-letting. 

Please -- quit posting until you can calm down. Go for a hike in the woods. Go fishing. Try your hand at painting or music. This is a near-lockdown, and not a complete lockdown as in a prison.
What's true about me? I would or could kick your ass one way or another if necessary. I don't need government assistance or support to accomplish that task. I think Red America has been pretty nice and more tolerant than Blue America has been so far. As I've mentioned before, we aren't really pissed yet. Your side is way more pissed at this point. I won't be walking in the woods for months. I'm waiting for the governor to lift restrictions on public parks and public landings so I'm able to launch a boat along with lots of others and go fishing.
(04-19-2020, 02:33 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-19-2020, 10:20 AM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]Whoa hey what is your problem? Why do you incite violence in speech? Logic and reason is not shown in those words you just said so practice what you preach and stick to logic and reason without throwing in violence. Violent speech is weak in logic and reason. Keep it up, i will report you.

When one exercises a right, one is still held responsible for violations of the rights of others.

The right to be free of violence is one such case.  Inciting violence is one of the things first responders and moderators should properly respond to.
Don't preach to me about inciting violence, I didn't incite the violence that we watched as it occurred in black areas not so long ago. Al Sharpton and Black Lives Matter were guilty of doing that not me. You don't think that you're directly associated with them these days.
(04-19-2020, 02:48 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]Don't preach to me...

Why not? Do you think that freedom of speech only applies to you? Besides, you so need to be preached at.
(04-19-2020, 02:36 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-19-2020, 12:36 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]Because neither racism nor free-floating anger has any rational justification, the violence that comes from their combination offers no exculpation. The mass shootings, whatever their cause, ordinarily result in prosecutions for murder or attempted murder. You project in Eric what may be true about you. 

I do not see Eric as an angry or mean-spirited person. He isn't spouting off bigotry. Contempt for Donald Trump? Tens of millions have that in America alone, and his image overseas isn't flattering. Do bad things and exposure becomes infamy. People who admire contemptible behavior are contemptible... Hillary Clinton was right in her assessment of Trump supporters who have treated a 200-year heritage of democracy in contempt as deplorable. 

Your language in this paragraph is stochastic terrorism. Get help! I suggest that you take a time-out from posting here. I would not be surprised that the FNI, BATF, Secret Service, and Minnesota state police have programs to detect language like yours. Yes, this is a rough time. It is lonely, boring, and frustrating. Welcome to the club. I chafe under the distress in a bad living arrangement that gives me no obvious or easy escape even in good times.  I don't want to go into the detail but for all practical purposes my sole contact with the rest of Humanity other than my brother and his girlfriend  is electronic. There's a bad electrical circuit that has cut off the Internet and cable TV for me much of the time. 

The near-lockdown of life during this Crisis (and it really is one) tests anyone with any mental problems, including those that most people can cover at the least with some diversion. Get help! Mental illness is real. I know that others depend upon you as employees and as family members. Do not betray them by doing something stupid. The shame comes from failure to address problems that you have because that failure can bring great tragedy to innocent people. There's much that I find contemptible about our economic system and the power structure that intertwines with it. Maybe I have more awareness of the lessons of history -- that self-righteous blood-letting promotes even more blood-letting. 

Please -- quit posting until you can calm down. Go for a hike in the woods. Go fishing. Try your hand at painting or music. This is a near-lockdown, and not a complete lockdown as in a prison.

What's true about me? I would or could kick your ass one way or another if necessary. I don't need government assistance or support to accomplish that task. I think Red America has been pretty nice and more tolerant than Blue America has been so far. As I've mentioned before, we aren't really pissed yet. Your side is way more pissed at this point. I won't be walking in the woods for months. I'm waiting for the governor to lift restrictions on public parks and public landings so I'm able to launch a boat along with lots of others and go fishing.

Come to my county and literally kick my derriere, and the sheriff will bust you. Your out-of-state plates will be a dead give-away. I am on good terms with the (Republican) county sheriff. This said I am for law and order as essential for human rights and civil liberties. Non-violence, which includes backing off when necessary, is the right response to hot-headed provocation. Even the website of the Communist Party of the USA has an article:

SLUG A NAZI? DON'T!  

My side is obviously peeved with Donald Trump for numerous offenses against human decencies and even fundamental principles of Constitutional government. I need go no further. There was a large anti-Democrat rally in Lansing, and after the fact our Democratic governor addressed the irresponsible behavior of protesters without discussing the content and motivations. Yes, this is a tough time, but do you know what is really tough to deal with? COVID-19, whether one gets it or a loved one gets it. I certainly hope that nobody gets sick and dies after attending that rally as happened after some megachurch in Louisiana held a mass service (no, not a Mass. The Catholic Church has told people to stay home and stay safe).  

I expect restrictions to be eased as behaviors are proved safe. Walking in the woods, golf, fishing, and going boating may be deeds that get permitted early -- before going to a movie theater, concert hall, museum, bar, or restaurant. I expect the fish fries at a nearby Knights of Columbus to be slow to return. If the stay-at-home orders don't stop those, then the Catholic Church will.
(04-19-2020, 02:48 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-19-2020, 02:33 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]

The right to be free of violence is one such case.  Inciting violence is one of the things first responders and moderators should properly respond to.
Don't preach to me about inciting violence, I didn't incite the violence that we watched as it occurred in black areas not so long ago. Al Sharpton and Black Lives Matter were guilty of doing that not me. You don't think that you're directly associated with them these days.

You have to admit, Classic, that you talk about how those of us who don't agree with your "american" views will face what you imply is violence. And it's the right-wing that threatens violence the most these days. And some of us understand how blacks who have been repressed for years and shot by police for no reason and get away with it get violent. I don't mind your violent warnings, but it might be something for you to look at. I understand you get mad at me and others; I get mad at times too. Our national divide is very frustrating, and there might be violence in the country; we all know that. It's good to stay positive and be ourselves, if we can.
(04-19-2020, 05:34 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]You have to admit, Classic, that you talk about how those of us who don't agree with your "american" views will face what you imply is violence. And it's the right-wing that threatens violence the most these days. And some of us understand how blacks who have been repressed for years and shot by police for no reason and get away with it get violent. I don't mind your violent warnings, but it might be something for you to look at. I understand you get mad at me and others; I get mad at times too. Our national divide is very frustrating, and there might be violence in the country; we all know that. It's good to stay positive and be ourselves, if we can.

The only nitpick might be that Classic is a violence obsessed liar who can't speak coherently without going off the deep end of reality.  He thus represents nobody.  The 'Americans' who are with him are a figment of his imagination.  If the middle of the country were in fact populated by a bunch of classics???
It seems some gun nuts have joined the protests against some of the governors stay at home precautions against the Coronavirus, with a few pro Trump stuff thrown in. Some of Trump's tweets are pro protestor anti governor and precaution as well. Like it or not, the Trump base is turning the Coronavirus into a partisan issue. Some Republican governors are jumping in on the save the people side. Congress is staying mostly sane.

I think the precaution folks will come out on top on this one, but not without protestors putting themselves at risk.
(04-19-2020, 04:16 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]

Why not?  Do you think that freedom of speech only applies to you?  Besides, you so need to be preached at.

I've requested cites on many occasions, and none have been offered. 

QED.
(04-20-2020, 10:42 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]It seems some gun nuts have joined the protests against some of the governors stay at home precautions against the Coronavirus, with a few pro Trump stuff thrown in.  Some of Trump's tweets are pro protestor anti governor and precaution as well.  Like it or not, the Trump base is turning the Coronavirus into a partisan issue.  Some Republican governors are jumping in on the save the people side.  Congress is staying mostly sane.  

I think the precaution folks will come out on top on this one, but not without protestors putting themselves at risk.

Have to disagree with that.  If Congress took a bipartisan stand against this nonsense, it would stop instantly.  Trump is a coward, emboldened by the spineless GOP Senate.  Notice how he gets to choose who does what and who takes the credit (him) or the blame (everyone else).  He's a 12-year old bully in a man suit.
(04-19-2020, 05:34 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]You have to admit, Classic, that you talk about how those of us who don't agree with your "american" views will face what you imply is violence. And it's the right-wing that threatens violence the most these days. And some of us understand how blacks who have been repressed for years and shot by police for no reason and get away with it get violent. I don't mind your violent warnings, but it might be something for you to look at. I understand you get mad at me and others; I get mad at times too. Our national divide is very frustrating, and there might be violence in the country; we all know that. It's good to stay positive and be ourselves, if we can.
Yes, I spend the bulk of my time talking about liberals to liberals these days.
(04-19-2020, 04:16 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]

Why not?  Do you think that freedom of speech only applies to you?  Besides, you so need to be preached at.
No. I think freedom of speech applies to you guys too. I don't need to be preached at by liberals. The liberals seem to think I do but I don't need to be preached to at this point of my life.
(04-19-2020, 06:16 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]
Are you going to report me for exercising my right to free speech? I dunno, do you think it's okay for our liberal media to continue churning up racism, racial tensions  and promoting racist views and associating half the population with racism and calling them racists or fascists every time they get their feelings hurt or don't get their way? Violence is a reality.

One more vicious post from you and consequences will follow. You have rights but not free from consequences buddy. Others have rights too and violent behaviour on this forum is not to be tolerated. You will be reported till karma bites you in the ass. Grow up. You are older than i am. Behave like it.
I'm in hot water for doing what? Inciting violence as you and others say?  Here's a reality. I think so little of Eric and the liberal cause that I wouldn't lift a finger to save him or it from they're own demise. Karma biting them in the ass as you say. Yes. I'm older than you and tougher than you and a lot meaner than you at times too.
(04-19-2020, 07:14 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]

The only nitpick might be that Classic is a violence obsessed liar who can't speak coherently without going off the deep end of reality.  He thus represents nobody.  The 'Americans' who are with him are a figment of his imagination.  If the middle of the country were in fact populated by a bunch of classics???

He is representative of people who are obsessed with violence, who accept the lies of the President while failing to test them for factual basis. There are such people, and as the state shutdown (in his case Minnesota) makes him increasingly angry and frustrated... his anger that lies below the surface of conformity can break the surface. Demagogues of the authoritarian right have exploited his frustration before and do so in America. In America such was frequently a group that loved the letter "K".

... I understand that he is in the HVAC business, one which will thrive just in retrofitting ventilation systems to purify air of viruses and bacteria. I would rather that he profit from that than end up behind bars.
(04-20-2020, 01:01 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-19-2020, 06:16 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]
Are you going to report me for exercising my right to free speech? I dunno, do you think it's okay for our liberal media to continue churning up racism, racial tensions  and promoting racist views and associating half the population with racism and calling them racists or fascists every time they get their feelings hurt or don't get their way? Violence is a reality.

One more vicious post from you and consequences will follow. You have rights but not free from consequences buddy. Others have rights too and violent behaviour on this forum is not to be tolerated. You will be reported till karma bites you in the ass. Grow up. You are older than i am. Behave like it.

I'm in hot water for doing what? Inciting violence as you and others say?  Here's a reality. I think so little of Eric and the liberal cause that I wouldn't lift a finger to save him or it from they're own demise. Karma biting them in the ass as you say. Yes. I'm older than you and tougher than you and a lot meaner than you at times too.

Suggesting that people deserve violence against them should get one in hot water. Just think of this: someone in a bar who says "someone out to plug the President right between the eyes" might find that after someone sends a message to the Secret Service he gets a stern warning from the Secret Service. The local gun stores get warnings not to sell guns or ammo to one because such would be bad for their image if something went wrong. This applies just the same when the President is Obama or Trump.

But if it is about any potential for a mass shooting, then perhaps the FBI or the relevant State Troopers start asking some questions and giving some warnings such as "We know what you are thinking, and you had better not carry it out".  

I leave my discussion of bad things happening to Trump to unlikely scenarios (such as a military coup) in which I could never be a participant... or to Divine Retribution.
(04-20-2020, 03:51 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]Suggesting that people deserve violence against them should get one in hot water. Just think of this: someone in a bar who says "someone out to plug the President right between the eyes" might find that after someone sends a message to the Secret Service he gets a stern warning from the Secret Service. The local gun stores get warnings not to sell guns or ammo to one because such would be bad for their image if something went wrong. This applies just the same when the President is Obama or Trump.

But if it is about any potential for a mass shooting, then perhaps the FBI or the relevant State Troopers start asking some questions and giving some warnings such as "We know what you are thinking, and you had better not carry it out".  

I leave my discussion of bad things happening to Trump to unlikely scenarios (such as a military coup) in which I could never be a participant... or to Divine Retribution.
Dude, for all you know, I could be an FBI agent.
(04-20-2020, 03:51 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]Suggesting that people deserve violence against them should get one in hot water. Just think of this: someone in a bar who says "someone out to plug the President right between the eyes" might find that after someone sends a message to the Secret Service he gets a stern warning from the Secret Service. The local gun stores get warnings not to sell guns or ammo to one because such would be bad for their image if something went wrong. This applies just the same when the President is Obama or Trump.

I've heard liberals say stuff like that about Trump in public.
(04-20-2020, 03:40 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-19-2020, 07:14 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]

He is representative of people who are obsessed with violence, who accept the lies of the President while failing to test them for factual basis. There are such people, and as the state shutdown (in his case Minnesota) makes him increasingly angry and frustrated... his anger that lies below the surface of conformity can break the surface. Demagogues of the authoritarian right have exploited his frustration before and do so in America. In America such was frequently a group that loved the letter "K".

... I understand that he is in the HVAC business, one which will thrive just in retrofitting ventilation systems to purify air of viruses and bacteria. I would rather that he profit from that than end up behind bars.

I do think he represents a lot of potentially-violent right-wing wackos out there, mostly, but by no means entirely, in red or purple America, even though he does so in his own peculiar way, and not always off the deep end or identical with the worst of them. We see them coming out in these demonstrations these days. But yeah, if he sticks to business and stays out of trouble, then we won't lose this guy who is so easy and fun to argue with and refute.

I don't know why he brags how much stronger and more violent he is. I don't know what he thinks that means to anybody. He can't punch or shoot anyone through the computer. I don't usually like to talk about other posters like this, but since he did threaten me and others in his silly way...... and not for the first time....
(04-20-2020, 06:45 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]

Dude, if you were an FBI agent you wouldn't be posting here.

There are programs to detect key words suggesting a blow-up. You may have used some of those words.

Why don't you take a time-out from posting and discover something that can enrich your life -- like classical music?

(04-20-2020, 11:59 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-20-2020, 06:45 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]

Dude, if you were an FBI agent you wouldn't be posting here.

There are programs to detect key words suggesting a blow-up. You may have used some of those words.

Why don't you take a time-out from posting and discover something that can enrich your life -- like classical music?

I don't have a problem with posting here despite all the anti-white, anti-conservative, anti-libertarian, anti-Trump, anti-American rhetoric that's been written all over this place, I know that you think your innocent, think your better, think your more intelligent and more loving and all that than evil, fascist, racist, deplorable old me.