Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Colin Kaepernick & The National Anthem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(08-31-2016, 12:07 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-31-2016, 11:58 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]And the main problem is that LBJ thought we could have lots and lots of both guns and butter. Inflation began to grow as a result. Carter was very conservative, insisting that the Democrats must stay within budget constraints, according to the PBS doc on Carter. Less spending had been the trend since 1967-68, and especially since the war wound down in 1973. The energy crisis then occurred, pushing inflation upward, and that was the main source of the Carter malaise in the late 70s. Reagan just took supply side to ridiculous extremes, and it only worked for the wealthy. Our growing inequality dates mostly from Reagan's time.

Nixon taking the US off the gold standard is another neglected factor. The economic theories that prompted that move didn't predict or prevent stagflation. Coming off the gold standard was likely the right move, but it turned the 1970s into an economic mess. Carter doesn't get enough credit for doing the right but unpopular thing.

Except Carter was initially popular for being fiscally restrained, according to the doc. I guess maybe going off the gold standard would make the economic system more subject to ups and downs. However, I doubt that the standard used makes much difference; whatever is used just an arbitrary, symbolic standard. Also, we already had silver certificates for dollar bills, and in the mid-sixties they were replaced with Federal Reserve Notes. This indicates to me that our dependence on debt dates from then, when LBJ declared simultaneous war on poverty and war in Vietnam.
(08-29-2016, 12:11 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Go Colin! I like a player who stands up (or refuses to stand up) for a good cause. Black lives matter! And the real question is, why are sports fans required to listen to that lousy song before every game? Do we really have to stand and sing to the religion of nationalism every damn time?

Traded? If he can't do that in the Bay Area, where can he? This is supposed to be a region that questions authority and supports liberal causes. When two Olympians from San Jose State gave the black salute in 1968, they were criticized. Now I can walk on my old campus and see statues to them.

But who could have possibly objected to this?

[Image: American-Flag.png]

THE FLAG OF A DEMOCRACY FOREVER
OF A POLICE STATE NEVER!
BLACK LIVES MATTER
Pages: 1 2 3