Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Does this Crisis echo the Glorious Revolutuon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(01-31-2017, 01:18 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 01:06 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 01:02 AM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not in her district. I did vote for my Democratic congressperson Anna Eshoo.

ps Tulsi is an idiot. A danger to the future

Sounds like a mere generational preference. The "new direction" we need is the same progressive direction we've had. We just need to finally shove the Republicons out of the way.

-- & the neolibtards & the vile progs. We  need real progressive direction. Nancy & her buds ain't offering that. 
You're right about them offering same old same old, however. I don't want that. Are you familiar with the Einsteinian definition of insanity?

In the case of wars of choice , no Eric has no idea wrt the Einsteinian definition of insanity.  That's why he thinks Tulsi is a menace.  Also, Eric is allergic to Xers.

You are holding on to that insanity, Rags. There is no war of choice going on where Tulsi is concerned. There can't be a war of choice where there is no USA war going on. No, insanity is just making up something, and then continuing to believe it's going on in spite of all evidence and truth. That describes the attitude of Tulsi, Marypoza and Rags in regard to Syria.

Most Xer candidates have been bad. That's not my fault. There are some fine Xer politicians, but few if any have stepped up to run, or have any chance. Now, if Seth Meyers would run....

Xers are no worse than Boomers now as voters; maybe better because they are younger. But most Xer politicians are victims of the Reagan Counter-revolution and grew up under its spell. Like Rubio and Cruz. No thanks.

Of course, as far as the presidency is concerned, many Xers face the Saturn Return obstacle now. That would not stop them from holding other offices though, probably. The youngest Boomers have just been freed from the Saturn Return.

1. Saturn return got poof for old xers starting 4 years from now.
2. Dropping bombs/use of drones in foreign countries = wars of choice. Sheesh.
http://www.ibtimes.com/causes-2011-syria...ts-2336198

Causes Of 2011 Syrian Civil War: Timeline Of Five Years Of Airstrikes, Bombings, Key Dates And Events
BY JESS MCHUGH @MCHUGHJESS ON 03/14/16 AT 3:21 PM

On the eve of the fifth anniversary Tuesday of the ongoing violent conflict in Syria, sustainable peace seems far from reach. Despite a partial ceasefire and an announcement Monday from Russia that it would withdraw troops from the region, the future of the war-torn country remains uncertain.

The conflict centers around Syrian President Bashar Assad, who took power in 2000 following his father's death. While citizens were at first hopeful that the young Assad would usher in a more democratic government, he quickly followed in his father's footsteps — leading with an iron fist, cracking down on dissent and protests and imprisoning political dissidents. As anti-government protests grew throughout the nation in the spring of 2011, violent clashes eventually spiraled into war, with pro- and anti-government factions increasingly split along sectarian lines.

Here's a look back at what started the Syrian civil war and how it has progressed over five bloody years.

June 2000: Bashar Assad succeeds his father, becoming president of Syria.

2001: Arrests of political dissidents continue, with intermittent periods of amnesty, as Assad dispels hopes that he will make a break from his father's style of rule.

May 2004: The U.S. imposes sanctions on Syria for supporting terrorism and failing to stop Islamic militants from entering Iraq.

May 2007: Top dissidents, including Kamal Labwani and Michel Kilo, are jailed.

March 15, 2011: Protesters in the southern city of Daraa demand the release of political prisoners, triggering a series of nationwide demonstrations.

May 2011: The Syrian government, led by Assad, deploys soldiers and tanks to Homs, Daraa and areas of Damascus to quash the anti-government protests.

August 2011: Leaders throughout the world, including U.S. President Barack Obama, call on Assad to step down, as violence grows throughout the region.

August 2011: Defected Syrian military officials form the Free Syrian Army, one of the main rebel groups opposing Assad.

November 2011: The Arab League votes to suspend Syria and issues sanctions on the country.

December 2011: A double suicide bomb in Damascus kills 44 people while at least 200 are massacred by security forces in the Idlib province.

January 2012: The bombardment of Homs and other cities continues, as the Al-Nusra front, a rebel group created in mid-2011 with help from Al Qaeda and the anti-Assad militant group known as the Islamic State, officially declares its existence and emerges as one of the foremost opposition forces.

April 2012: Former United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan brokers a ceasefire, as reports continue to surface of Assad's forces carrying out massacres and assassinations.

September 2012: The U.S. promises $45 million to provide rebel forces fighting Assad with non-lethal aid.

2016-02-06T195656Z_1_LYNXNPEC150I1_RTROPTP_3_FRANCE-SHOOTING-SYRIA-ASSAD
Syrian President Bashar Assad during an interview in Damascus with the magazine Literarni Noviny in this handout picture from Syria's national news agency, Jan. 8, 2015. Photo: REUTERS/SANA/Handout via Reuters

August-September 2013: Chemical weapons attacks carried out by Assad's government kill dozens in Syria.

March 2013: Rebel forces capture the city of Raqqa, making it the first large city controlled by opposition fighters. Meanwhile, more than 1 million Syrians are declared political refugees by the U.N.

June 2014: The Islamic State group seizes vast swathes of territory in northern Iraq and declares a caliphate.

Syrian War Has Created 2.4M Child Refugees

August 2014: The Islamic State group, also known as ISIS, seizes the northern city of Raqqa.

September 2014: The U.S., along with five Arab nations, begins airstrikes targeting ISIS near Aleppo and Raqqa.

September 2015: Russia begins airstrikes on terrorist targets in Syria. Observers on the ground, including the U.S. military, say that Russian airstrikes are not just attacking ISIS but are targeting rebel groups in an attempt to prop up Assad.

February 2016: The major parties in the conflict recognized by the United Nations announce a partial ceasefire.
(01-31-2017, 01:30 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 01:02 AM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not in her district. I did vote for my Democratic congressperson Anna Eshoo.

Sounds like a mere generational preference. The "new direction" we need is the same progressive direction we've had. We just need to finally shove the Republicons out of the way.

-- & the neolibtards & the vile progs. We  need real progressive direction. Nancy & her buds ain't offering that. 
You're right about them offering same old same old, however. I don't want that. Are you familiar with the Einsteinian definition of insanity?

In the case of wars of choice , no Eric has no idea wrt the Einsteinian definition of insanity.  That's why he thinks Tulsi is a menace.  Also, Eric is allergic to Xers.

You are holding on to that insanity, Rags. There is no war of choice going on where Tulsi is concerned. There can't be a war of choice where there is no USA war going on. No, insanity is just making up something, and then continuing to believe it's going on in spite of all evidence and truth. That describes the attitude of Tulsi, Marypoza and Rags in regard to Syria.

Most Xer candidates have been bad. That's not my fault. There are some fine Xer politicians, but few if any have stepped up to run, or have any chance. Now, if Seth Meyers would run....

Xers are no worse than Boomers now as voters; maybe better because they are younger. But most Xer politicians are victims of the Reagan Counter-revolution and grew up under its spell. Like Rubio and Cruz. No thanks.

Of course, as far as the presidency is concerned, many Xers face the Saturn Return obstacle now. That would not stop them from holding other offices though, probably. The youngest Boomers have just been freed from the Saturn Return.

-- you're right Rags, he has no idea wrt the Einsteinian definition of insanity
(01-31-2017, 01:13 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 01:02 AM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 12:54 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 12:36 AM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 12:23 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]The Transcendentals got thrown out of power AFTER the Civil War AND early Reconstruction. In our 4T the analogous years won't come until the 2030s.

I don't get why Marypoza is so down on Nancy Pelosi. She's a dedicated progressive. Not as perfect as Bernie, but who is? Certainly not that deceived young thing from Hawaii.

-- l want a new direction. She don't. l'll bet you voted 4 her too

ps, Tulsi is a Millie. The wave of the future

I'm not in her district. I did vote for my Democratic congressperson Anna Eshoo.

I don't see that you have given any basis for saying why you don't want what Nancy and her buds offer.

Other than perhaps clinging to Tulsi's horrendous delusions. Imagine someone who is blind to the fact that a tyrant has killed 400,000 of his people, and blames it on the rebels against him instead, and even the USA which has done almost nothing. I have no respect for holocaust deniers like Tulsi. I have respect for people rising up against tyrants for freedom and justice. That's progress to me; maybe not to you and Tulsi?

-- while you & Rags were tete-a-teteing, l was googling tulsi holocaust denial & came up with zip. You got a link to that?

We haven't been dropping bombs and drones in Syria (Assad's territory). Sheesh.

I am not in favor of bombing and droning people. Drones kill innocent people. Yes I know the USA is bombing the IS of Iraq and Syria; that's OK the IS is beyond despicable and a threat.

I don't know what you mean by "Saturn return got poof for old xers starting 4 years from now." The Saturn Return can stop peoples' ambitions close to age 59. However, my research shows that candidates who run for president as nominees between about age 56 and 59 lose, and those who run at about age 55 (like Nixon in 1968, LBJ in 1964 and Dubya in 2000) either lose or have a disasterous term in office, especially around the time of the Saturn Return (say 2 years before and after) that usually breaks or kills them either then, or a bit later while still in office.

http://philosopherswheel.com/presidentialelections.html
(01-31-2017, 01:45 AM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 12:54 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 12:36 AM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]-- l want a new direction. She don't. l'll bet you voted 4 her too

ps, Tulsi is a Millie. The wave of the future

I'm not in her district. I did vote for my Democratic congressperson Anna Eshoo.

I don't see that you have given any basis for saying why you don't want what Nancy and her buds offer.

Other than perhaps clinging to Tulsi's horrendous delusions. Imagine someone who is blind to the fact that a tyrant has killed 400,000 of his people, and blames it on the rebels against him instead, and even the USA which has done almost nothing. I have no respect for holocaust deniers like Tulsi. I have respect for people rising up against tyrants for freedom and justice. That's progress to me; maybe not to you and Tulsi?

-- while you & Rags were tete-a-teteing, l was googling tulsi holocaust denial & came up with zip. You got a link to that?

There need be no link. She is denying the holocaust in Syria.
(01-31-2017, 01:41 AM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]

-- you're right Rags, he has no idea wrt the Einsteinian definition of insanity

Continuing to believe something that isn't happening, in the face of all evidence; I would say that's Tulsi, you and Rags in regard to Syria. Someone has to tell the truth on things. That's me in this case. No, I won't stop telling the truth about this. It offends me when people deny that young people rise up for freedom and then get murdered for doing it. I like young people rising up for freedom against monstrous tyrants. I think that's idealistic and courageous. I think Einstein would like it too. He suffered under tyranny and knew what it was like. You guys don't.

Rags, you think the USA is dropping bombs and drones in the Syrian territories held by Assad? On the basis of what credible source?

And I don't mean bombing eastern Syria held by the IS; yes the USA is doing that. And no, I don't think I'm opposed to that; the IS is a menace and a tyranny too.

Meanwhile Putinic Russia has been bombing the territories held by the Free Syrian Army to prop up their ally, the despicable Assad.

As far as I remember, Tulsi went to Aleppo, and said the USA destroyed the city. That is a fantasy; Assad and the Russians destroyed it. She says it was held by terrorists. No, it was held by the Free Syrians.
Insanity: reading Eric's posts, but not paying any attention to what he writes, over and over again Tongue
(01-31-2017, 02:14 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Insanity: reading Eric's posts, but not paying any attention to what he writes, over and over again Tongue

Not really.  Eric produces reams of posts, like uh 3500+. Tongue   No human can pay attention to all of that stuff.
(01-31-2017, 01:53 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 01:45 AM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 12:54 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not in her district. I did vote for my Democratic congressperson Anna Eshoo.

There need be no link. She is denying the holocaust in Syria.

-- but not the Holocaust. Which is what you implied. I have fun going back & forth with you, which is why l don't get pissed @ you like some others here do, but that was really low Eric  Angry

Otoh, Tulsi's been taking alot of heat for that trip, so she must of done something right. My homeboy Dennis was with her too, so l know it was all good  Smile
(01-31-2017, 02:42 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 02:14 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Insanity: reading Eric's posts, but not paying any attention to what he writes, over and over again Tongue

Not really.  Eric produces reams of posts, like uh 3500+. Tongue   No human can pay attention to all of that stuff.

-- not the Eric definition of insanity, the Einsteinian definition of insanity
Marypoza,

Quote:but l don't want Bernie to stay home & STFU

Nancy, otoh- past time to retire bitch

I meant NEW adaptives, children.  Bernie, Pelosi, Reid (now retired), McCain, and others are just dinosaurs at this point.  The fact that they're still clinging on is a bit ridiculous.

Quote:-- both Bernie & Uncle Joe are considering 2020 runs.....

To become President at what, the age of 80, give or take?  I doubt that very seriously.

Quote:-- l wouldn't be surprised if the Millies took over as early as 2024, esp if this Crisis is similar to the Civil War. The Transcendentals all got thrown out of power. The Millies could very well ahem, drain the swamp, throwing out both Boomers & Xers, as well as any remaining Silents. Except for Bernie, that is.

As voters or office-holders?  If the latter, that's ridiculous.  We still have old Silents in positions of authority and you think within 8 years we're going to have politicians no older than 42?  Huh
(01-31-2017, 03:01 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Marypoza,

Quote:but l don't want Bernie to stay home & STFU

Nancy, otoh- past time to retire bitch

I meant NEW adaptives, children.  Bernie, Pelosi, Reid (now retired), McCain, and others are just dinosaurs at this point.  The fact that they're still clinging on is a bit ridiculous.

-- your last sentence sez it all: they should go home & STFU. Actually l can think of some Boomers ( starting with the Donald & $hillary) & Xers (Ryan) who need to go home & STFU too

But ya know, it got me thinking, does the Grey Champion have to be a prez? Bernie going toe to toe with the Donald (who should really STFU) got me thinking, mebbe he could be our Grey Champ?

ME Wrote:
Quote:-- both Bernie & Uncle Joe are considering 2020 runs.....
SomeGuy Wrote:To become President at what, the age of 80, give or take?  I doubt that very seriously.

-- I'm just sayin what l heard. I forget where l heard Uncle Joe say he was considering it, but Bernie did not rule it when asked about it on his CNN Town Hall. 3 yrs is a long way off, things can change. Bernie in particular would probably step aside if enough Berniecrats step up to the plate
me Wrote:
Quote:-- l wouldn't be surprised if the Millies took over as early as 2024, esp if this Crisis is similar to the Civil War. The Transcendentals all got thrown out of power. The Millies could very well ahem, drain the swamp, throwing out both Boomers & Xers, as well as any remaining Silents. Except for Bernie, that is.
SomeGuy Wrote:As voters or office-holders?  If the latter, that's ridiculous.  We still have old Silents in positions of authority and you think within 8 years we're going to have politicians no older than 42?  Huh

--as both. You think these pols just pop up whole cloth? Millies need to run in munincipal & state elections, & maybe the House if they aren't already. As the 2020s progress they move into the Senate, & eventually the WH. Speaking of which, John Kennedy-a Civic- moved into the WH @ age 42, so it could happen. It depends how bad this Crisis turns out to be. They are already the largest voting bloc, & will get bigger when the last cohort (my 16 yr old nieces, et al) turn 18. Meanwhile, the Silents & 1st wave Boomers are dying off. So yeah, l can see the Millies throwing out the dinosaurs (your term, not mine) thruout the 2020s
Unfortunately Boomers still have about ten years to go before they lose their grip on society.
(01-31-2017, 04:25 PM)FLBones Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately Boomers still have about ten years to go before they lose their grip on society.

-- yes.. & no
No if they mishandle the coming Crisis like the Transcendentals mishandled their Crisis & the younger generations throw them out.
(01-25-2017, 03:57 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-24-2017, 10:06 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]Provided the US comes out of the crisis intact, X, specifically people like Classic and Galen as represented by people like Cruz, are likely to do exactly the same thing that the Lost did - ensuring that the collective consensus that emerges from the regeneracy contains provisions safeguarding some degree of indiviidual rights, and providing a generation of caretaker leadership during the first turning.

Back when I was younger, I used to wonder where various personal liberty safeguards - like restrictions on use of IRS information, and allergies to requirements for universal ID - came from.  They certainly didn't come from the politically active factions during the Consciousness Revolution.

As I watch how X develops, it becomes clearer and clearer that those safeguards came from the Lost.  Reactives do their good deeds anonymously, without feeling a need to claim credit.  While this cycle's safeguards will be different, I feel confident that they will be there.

Classic and Galen, let me pass along thanks from my as yet unborn Idealist grandchildren.

The Lost is also where the Presidential term limits came from.  They did that as soon as FDR was planted in the ground and the war was over to start the amendment process.  Hell, knowing them as I do they probably started planning it before the body was cold.

You are right about the Boomers and Silent generations.  They never really did lose their faith in government, the god most of them truly worship.

It has been interesting watch Generation X become more like the Lost that I knew so long ago.  One thing Nomad generations understand is how badly things can go wrong and we plan for it.  The Boomers never did figure out that we often know what their next move is before they do.

Deranged right-wing spite for FDR is where the term limits come from.
Tulsi Gabbard isn't a progressive, Mary, she's a conserva-Dem on a lot of issues. Rolleyes
(01-31-2017, 04:49 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]Tulsi Gabbard isn't a progressive, Mary, she's a conserva-Dem on a lot of issues. Rolleyes

She's also hot.  Major crossover appeal.  Tongue
Quote:-- your last sentence sez it all: they should go home & STFU. Actually l can think of some Boomers ( starting with the Donald & $hillary) & Xers (Ryan) who need to go home & STFU too

Even Bernie?  Wink

Quote:But ya know, it got me thinking, does the Grey Champion have to be a prez? Bernie going toe to toe with the Donald (who should really STFU) got me thinking, mebbe he could be our Grey Champ?

The myth of the Grey Champion was very much based on someone not a president.  So, you can cling to it if you want.  Me, I've thought of Bernie as a pussy since that rally in Seattle where he let two random women push him away from the microphone.  Plus caving to Hillary at every conceivable opportunity.

YMMV, of course.

Quote:-- I'm just sayin what l heard. I forget where l heard Uncle Joe say he was considering it, but Bernie did not rule it when asked about it on his CNN Town Hall. 3 yrs is a long way off, things can change. Bernie in particular would probably step aside if enough Berniecrats step up to the plate

Yeah, I don't buy it.  And if that's what you are pinning your hopes on...   Confused

Quote:--as both. You think these pols just pop up whole cloth? Millies need to run in munincipal & state elections, & maybe the House if they aren't already. As the 2020s progress they move into the Senate, & eventually the WH. Speaking of which, John Kennedy-a Civic- moved into the WH @ age 42, so it could happen. It depends how bad this Crisis turns out to be. They are already the largest voting bloc, & will get bigger when the last cohort (my 16 yr old nieces, et al) turn 18. Meanwhile, the Silents & 1st wave Boomers are dying off. So yeah, l can see the Millies throwing out the dinosaurs (your term, not mine) thruout the 2020s

Emphasis mine.  They don't pop up fully formed like flies from shit, there is a whole career progression that is generally needed.  So, there are not enough of them (us) there now to "throw the bums out" completely by 2024.  Boomers will gradually phase out over the course of the 2020s, and Millies will become more prominent, but Xers in particular are going to be there for a while.

Sorry.
(01-31-2017, 05:16 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 04:49 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]Tulsi Gabbard isn't a progressive, Mary, she's a conserva-Dem on a lot of issues. Rolleyes

She's also hot.  Major crossover appeal.  Tongue

Oh, I wouldn't mind her as a candidate, It just drives me nuts that so many "Bernie-Bro" types adore her simply because she backed Sanders without looking at her actual policy positions, it shows how much they are a personality cult.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10