Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Millennial Swing toward Trump?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to the USC/LaTimes tracking poll Millennials have a swung strongly towards Trump in the past week, the poll is different from some others for reasons mentioned here and it is more favorable towards Trump than the other polls, still the swing is notable.
Conceptually, cutting off immigration to create labor shortages helps the youngest workers relative to everyone else.
(09-19-2016, 09:43 AM)Dan Wrote: [ -> ]According to the USC/LaTimes tracking poll Millennials have a swung strongly towards Trump in the past week, the poll is different from some others for reasons mentioned here and it is more favorable towards Trump than the other polls, still the swing is notable.

That is not true. That poll is too inaccurate.
(09-23-2016, 07:11 AM)Anthony Wrote: [ -> ]Conceptually, cutting off immigration to create labor shortages helps the youngest workers relative to everyone else.

And the youngest workers are actually smart enough to realize that?  Cool!
(09-26-2016, 12:27 AM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-23-2016, 07:11 AM)Anthony Wrote: [ -> ]Conceptually, cutting off immigration to create labor shortages helps the youngest workers relative to everyone else.

People tend to be focused on their own self interest as a consequence I would be surprised if they didn't.  Millies just have a much steeper learning curve than Generation X.
(09-26-2016, 12:43 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]

People tend to be focused on their own self interest as a consequence I would be surprised if they didn't.  Millies just have a much steeper learning curve than Generation X.

All the available data, of which there is tragically little, has the Millies that are re-affiliating migrating to Johnson and Stein, or just opting out entirely.  Since most were originally counted in the Hillary camp, the shift looks pro-Trump.  I don't think it's necessarily anti-Hillary, nor is it pro-Trump.  It's a universal "screw you" to the major parties.  Hillary's wooing of Republicans probably had more than a little to do with her losses.  Trump held little appeal from the start.  They see one candidate that has nothing to offer and another that's strictly transactional.  Neither appeals.
(09-26-2016, 06:20 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes the swing turns ugly. As in ... a young lawyer going around the bend:

(Nazi Punk) "Gonna go down to the strip mall and shoot me some messicans!" (/Nazi Punk)

See my signature line for my feelings about Nazi Punks.

This one ?
The Millennials becoming attuned to Donald Trump's economic elitism and ethnic/religious bigotry? Not likely.

See again after the polling results following Monday's debates emerge.
So maybe the Millies are turning to The Donald. But still, for it to have a decisive impact, they would have to decide to actually vote. Actually voting isn't exactly something that's at the top of young folks' lists of things to do. Unless they're idealists and/or if they have a real dog in a real fight (i.e. - holding a 1-A draft card in the late 1960's.)
(09-26-2016, 06:20 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes the swing turns ugly. As in ... a young lawyer going around the bend:

(Nazi Punk) "Gonna go down to the strip mall and shoot me some messicans!" (/Nazi Punk)

See my signature line for my feelings about Nazi Punks.

I wonder how they'd feel about Trump saying he could walk down 5th Ave and shoot somebody and he wouldn't lose any voters? I assume it'd be OK with the Nazi punks if it was messicans he was shooting. Seems a good bet he wouldn't lose their vote.

Ah, that's why he isn't losing Nevada yet. Lots of young "legal" Mexican workers there who can work the card tables instead of the illegals....
(09-26-2016, 12:43 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]

You should run for president and give Trump a run for his money, Galen. "My generation is so smart. Everyone says my generation is the smartest. I'm so smart because I'm a Gen Xer. We did well in English. It's just in our genes. We just have the best brains."