Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Why are so many Millennials tattooed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I had a conversation with my friend about tattoos and why they are so popular with Millennials that went something like this. It started with me explaining:

"You see, they were a Pacific islander custom which Europeans encountered in the Age of Discovery. This is why tattoos are associated with sailors. They then became a custom among Europeans of the lower orders, and were for a long time in the West associated with lack of respectability and the criminal underclass.

Then, in the aftermath of the Sixties at the end of the twentieth century, young people sought to break free of cultural norms. Getting tattooed and/or pierced was a rebellious act of individualism practiced by a minority of youth. By the turn of the century it was a fad. And now, it has become a conventional rite of youth passage. Which is why you see almost every young adult with at least some tattoos."

To which she replied, "Have you even talked with anyone who has tattoos and asked them why they have them?" I had to admit that I really had not. "It's because they feel like it's the only way in which they can truly express themselves," she continued.

"You mean that their personal bodies is the only space over which they have any control?" I'm thinking how the young generation must feel powerless in a world politically and culturally dominated by their elders.

"Yes."

So that's two different perspectives on the frequently tattooed Millennial generation. What do you think?
(07-11-2018, 07:01 PM)sbarrera Wrote: [ -> ]So I had a conversation with my friend about tattoos and why they are so popular with Millennials that went something like this. It started with me explaining:

"You see, they were a Pacific islander custom which Europeans encountered in the Age of Discovery. This is why tattoos are associated with sailors. They then became a custom among Europeans of the lower orders, and were for a long time in the West associated with lack of respectability and the criminal underclass.

Then, in the aftermath of the Sixties at the end of the twentieth century, young people sought to break free of cultural norms. Getting tattooed and/or pierced was a rebellious act of individualism practiced by a minority of youth. By the turn of the century it was a fad. And now, it has become a conventional rite of youth passage. Which is why you see almost every young adult with at least some tattoos."

To which she replied, "Have you even talked with anyone who has tattoos and asked them why they have them?" I had to admit that I really had not. "It's because they feel like it's the only way in which they can truly express themselves," she continued.

"You mean that their personal bodies is the only space over which they have any control?" I'm thinking how the young generation must feel powerless in a world politically and culturally dominated by their elders.

"Yes."

So that's two different perspectives on the frequently tattooed Millennial generation. What do you think?

They copycat Xer's.  Tattoos, backwards ball caps, and piercings are Xer things.
(07-11-2018, 11:25 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-11-2018, 07:01 PM)sbarrera Wrote: [ -> ]So I had a conversation with my friend about tattoos and why they are so popular with Millennials that went something like this. It started with me explaining:

"Yes."

They copycat Xer's.  Tattoos, backwards ball caps, and piercings are Xer things.

But I really think a higher percentage of Millennials are tattooed than Xers (based on personal observation, I have no data). So it has been mainstreamed.
Two words: Prole drift.
(07-16-2018, 11:30 PM)Hintergrund Wrote: [ -> ]Two words: Prole drift.

[Speaking of recycled X'er stuff]

https://news.yahoo.com/maroon-5-super-bo...33185.html
https://news.yahoo.com/adam-levine-super...25572.html

Close enough. Big Grin    All Maroon 5 needs to do is ditch their recycled music and just play covers for  Mötley Crüe, Anthrax, Type O Negative, Black and Blue, etc. So... they have the right looks, they just need the right jams and they're all set to go. Cool
Do-it-yourself advertising. Affiliations?
(02-04-2019, 10:44 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]As an actual millennial who has been hired a few times for tattoo designs by fellow millennials I can say the purpose is to tell a meaningful story about their life and their loved ones.

Love and meaningful stories matter to ALL generations.

So why have millennials mainstreamed tattoos? It's usually Nomadic generations' job to be fascinated by the forbidden. But maybe it's Xers who mainstreamed it, while millennials were the first to come of age in a culture that doesn't view a person with a tattoo as a criminal.
I'd rather have a photo album. It might well outlast the one who takes the photos -- and the items whose images are taken.
(02-05-2019, 06:41 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2019, 09:09 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2019, 10:44 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]As an actual millennial who has been hired a few times for tattoo designs by fellow millennials I can say the purpose is to tell a meaningful story about their life and their loved ones.

So why have millennials mainstreamed tattoos? It's usually Nomadic generations' job to be fascinated by the forbidden. But maybe it's Xers who mainstreamed it, while millennials were the first to come of age in a culture that doesn't view a person with a tattoo as a criminal.

Well of course all generations have them for that reason. We are not so special with this in any way. Why exclude us as if we are different? We feel it is ridiculous to be superficial about a person who chooses to express themselves. Remember we were taught to be inclusive.

OK, then.  So what's up with the donning of backwards ballcaps?  Those are an Xer innovation. Btw. I don't mind the tats, Maroon 5 could be truly awesome if they covered some of my favorite Xer bands Cool  They have the glam, just need the right sound for a 1980's redux!

Do this Maroon 5! Just do it!  <- Registered trade mark of genX.

Yehaawwwww!  Now that would be an awesome Stupor bowl half time show. Cool
(02-05-2019, 11:15 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]Btw when i say that from what i have experienced around those my age and younger it is more of having something in common which binds you together. For example when we created the SVA here we had matching shirts with the logo on it. It is an outward form of being part of something bigger than yourself but is a part of you also. It is the same thing with the hats. Does not mean it always happens, but it can. I dont see it as any different yet again to any other generation but perhaps i am mistaken.

That's what I said. Backwards ball hats are the same as GenX which is a different generation. And... yes the generations are different:

Boomers = screech owls.
Xer's  = honey badgers
Millies = bees. Tongue
(02-05-2019, 06:41 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2019, 09:09 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]

Well of course all generations have them for that reason. We are not so special with this in any way. Why exclude us as if we are different? We feel it is ridiculous to be superficial about a person who chooses to express themselves. Remember we were taught to be inclusive.

Because there are more tattoed individuals among Millies than among any other generation?

I wonder what happens to tattoos when the Awakening kicks in?
Also, tattoos have changed. Among gangsters, they still may have the old purpose. But young women who get tattoos of Disney characters?