Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Assault On Free Speech: Where Does This Fit Into The Saeculum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It seems to me the current situation fits very well into the "First Turning" scenario where homogeneity and groupthink is what the populace wants and needs to move forward.  I find I am personally very uncomfortable with the virtual clampdown on who can speak, who cannot, who should speak, who should not, who it is 'OK' to assault for their speech and who it is not, etc...

I personally do not care about white supremacists or kkk or any of these people where it seems these people are not supposed to speak and are not allowed to speak.  We even have Obama asking "how hard is it to say white supremacy bad" but is that his or anyone's place?  I do not feel like these lopsided viewpoints like a white supremacy or whatever, they have no ability to affect hardly anyone.  It has no real mass power or anything of the kind.  I hear a lot "they need to be silenced because they teach violence" to which I ask when is the last time you (who says that) were at a burnt cross meeting to know what they are teaching?

Right.  Hearsay.  Someone else mentioned "there is evidence" to support the current president is crazy.  To which I say "were you there?"  Did you attend white house meetings?  OR are you simply taking the information of your chosen news source as gospel truth?  There are not many innocent people on that front.  Right now that is just the way it is.

But nonetheless, I do not like when anyone is silenced.  The lines are almost completely blurred right now.  We can no longer tell the difference between SPEECH and ACTION.  I ask people "where is the boundary to what I say compared to what he/she DOES based on what I say?"  Am I responsible for their actions?  Are they responsible for my actions?

Does anyone think this is not a trait of typically 1st Turning scenario where everyone is afraid to cross any boundaries?  Where the FEAR to be like everyone else is too compelling to be anything outside the ordinary?  If so, what does that say about the current location within this saeculum? (<-- btw that sounds more like an Artist situation, they are the ones who REALLY stfu and keep their collective heads down).

Oh and this does include assailants from all sides including the president wanting the FBI to investigate the NYT article and all this nonsense.  No one wants to allow anyone else to speak.  Festering wound.  Strange times and it got strange rather quickly.

This may actually belong in the thread I made about the McCain funeral because there seems to be a lot has shifted since then.  Yes, in just the last few weeks.  Am I seeing it incorrectly?  There's no right/wrong answer here, I enjoy feedback and free speaking.  I'm American. Big Grin
Many people want conformity... but neither side has won yet. So they can't enforce it.