Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: The Next 10 Years: A Deep Sense of Foreboding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Anyone who takes a few steps back to view both our domestic situation as well as the international situation should be greatly alarmed. Domestically, the supports for national unity are at their weakest in my lifetime - now past a half century. The so called "Alt-Right" have steered or have been steered into a pathos that is surprising in a nation that so prides itself in being different and separate from Europe. The "Alt-Right" are now no different from the various European Extreme Right movements, which, to be blunt, are no different from the "pan" movements of the early to middle 20th Century. It is one of the most shocking things of my life experience thus far to be witnessing this. I write this as one who, a mere ten years ago, railed against both the liberals as well as the Establishment conservatives. I hereby apologize for whatever role that might have had in terms of catalyzing some dire unintended consequences.

Meanwhile, internationally, the long standing post-WW2 order, whatever were its faults, has now vanished. Sure there are still some false front buildings akin to a poorly constructed Spaghetti Western set, such as the UN, the EU, and various other attempts at international order. But these are no longer respected, most especially by the Shang Hai Cooperation Org countries and various client and affiliated rogue states thereof. NATO still seems vital, in affront to this trend. Long may it last. It would be a crime to allow it to disintegrate, only to have to be reconstructed in some fashion, hastily, during a future darkest hour, under threat of being defeated by Evil.

Then, there is the matter of Russian interference in our election. This knits together the two aforementioned venues of crisis. Moscow are no longer trying to hide their intentions. Moscow have lined up behind the 21st Century Quisling, hoping to neutralize the one great power truly capable of stopping the SCO advance. In their wildest dreams, the US would even go beyond neutrality, and become a member of the Axis of Evil.

Suffice it to say, as we approach one of the greatest decision points ever encountered in US history, I feel a deep sense of foreboding. No matter what the outcome on Tuesday, I believe forces have already been unleashed, both domestically and internationally, that can only lead us further into the abyss. It's too late to turn back now. God Bless us all.
(11-04-2016, 09:27 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone who takes a few steps back to view both our domestic situation as well as the international situation should be greatly alarmed. Domestically, the supports for national unity are at their weakest in my lifetime - now past a half century. The so called "Alt-Right" have steered or have been steered into a pathos that is surprising in a nation that so prides itself in being different and separate from Europe. The "Alt-Right" are now no different from the various European Extreme Right movements, which, to be blunt, are no different from the "pan" movements of the early to middle 20th Century. It is one of the most shocking things of my life experience thus far to be witnessing this. I write this as one who, a mere ten years ago, railed against both the liberals as well as the Establishment conservatives. I hereby apologize for whatever role that might have had in terms of catalyzing some dire unintended consequences.

Meanwhile, internationally, the long standing post-WW2 order, whatever were its faults, has now vanished. Sure there are still some false front buildings akin to a poorly constructed Spaghetti Western set, such as the UN, the EU, and various other attempts at international order. But these are no longer respected, most especially by the Shang Hai Cooperation Org countries and various client and affiliated rogue states thereof. NATO still seems vital, in affront to this trend. Long may it last. It would be a crime to allow it to disintegrate, only to have to be reconstructed in some fashion, hastily, during a future darkest hour, under threat of being defeated by Evil.

Then, there is the matter of Russian interference in our election. This knits together the two aforementioned venues of crisis. Moscow are no longer trying to hide their intentions. Moscow have lined up behind the 21st Century Quisling, hoping to neutralize the one great power truly capable of stopping the SCO advance. In their wildest dreams, the US would even go beyond neutrality, and become a member of the Axis of Evil.

Suffice it to say, as we approach one of the greatest decision points ever encountered in US history, I feel a deep sense of foreboding. No matter what the outcome on Tuesday, I believe forces have already been unleashed, both domestically and internationally, that can only lead us further into the abyss. It's too late to turn back now. God Bless us all.

NATO vital?  You must be kidding.

Speaking of nationalist movements, Putin seems to have created one in Russia that has gotten out of his hands:

https://www.stratfor.com/analysis/russia...w-s-making

Don't blame yourself, though.  These movements are direct reactions to neoliberal elitism.
Things will get crazier now that the Silents are rapidly dying out and losing their influence over public life. Their patience and pluralism is being replaced by the preachy and moralistic Boomers. The next ten years will be peak times for the Boomers, this will be their time to really prove themselves before they start to exit out of the picture in about 10 years when we enter the High.

On the flip side, we also have the Millennials starting to enter the picture. By 2020, the Millies are really going to start to have some power over public life. As the 2020s progress, things are going to change drastically. The current system will be replaced by something new and one that favors the Millennials and the Homies and the next Prophets to an extent. The legalization of marijuana is a foreshadow of things to come. I also think marijuana will be a major next industry in the 1T.
(11-05-2016, 09:17 AM)FLBones Wrote: [ -> ]Things will get crazier now that the Silents are rapidly dying out and losing their influence over public life. Their patience and pluralism is being replaced by the preachy and moralistic Boomers. The next ten years will be peak times for the Boomers, this will be their time to really prove themselves before they start to exit out of the picture in about 10 years when we enter the High.

On the flip side, we also have the Millennials starting to enter the picture. By 2020, the Millies are really going to start to have some power over public life. As the 2020s progress, things are going to change drastically. The current system will be replaced by something new and one that favors the Millennials and the Homies and the next Prophets to an extent. The legalization of marijuana is a foreshadow of things to come. I also think marijuana will be a major next industry in the 1T.

So you believe Generation X has/will have no influence at all?  If the 1925-1942 born among us are the "Silent" Generation, we must be the "Invisible" one.
(11-06-2016, 11:58 AM)gabrielle Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-05-2016, 09:17 AM)FLBones Wrote: [ -> ]Things will get crazier now that the Silents are rapidly dying out and losing their influence over public life. Their patience and pluralism is being replaced by the preachy and moralistic Boomers. The next ten years will be peak times for the Boomers, this will be their time to really prove themselves before they start to exit out of the picture in about 10 years when we enter the High.

So you believe Generation X has/will have no influence at all?  If the 1925-1942 born among us are the "Silent" Generation, we must be the "Invisible" one.

Not bad.  Generation X would probably best be described as the Ignored Generation.

As a substitute school teacher some years ago, I noticed the creativity of Generation X.  I go into Mexican restaurants and often find an interesting mural (most likely by someone who sees himself as another Diego Rivera, a Lost creator)... and I can only imagine what sort of mural could be made in  for some purpose other than creating ambience in a restaurant. Howe and Strauss underestimated the creative talent of Reactive generations, thus ignoring the likes of Prokofiev, Copland, Poulenc, Rivera, Chagall, Miro, Elot, Tolkien, O'Keefe, Beckmann, Erte, etc.

Know well that like the Lost, the early 'bad boys' of Generation X will either mellow out, destroy themselves, or go into oblivion. Of obvious importance will be the X administrators and entrepreneurs whose economic activity will (1) initiate on a small scale what later generations do on a bigger scale, and (2) create the material foundation for any successful struggle in a Crisis war.

Generation X must ditch the alienation that at best achieves nothing and at turns success into failure by turning the resources of a prosperous society to an evil cause. Fascists and Stalinist enforcers largely contemporaries of the American Lost generation came close to destroying our civilization. That includes David Curtis Stevenson, a charismatic Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan who has remarkable parallels to Adolf Hitler.
(11-07-2016, 12:14 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]

As a substitute school teacher some years ago, I noticed the creativity of Generation X.  I go into Mexican restaurants and often find an interesting mural (most likely by someone who sees himself as another Diego Rivera, a Lost creator)... and I can only imagine what sort of mural could be made in  for some purpose other than creating ambience in a restaurant. Howe and Strauss underestimated the creative talent of Reactive generations, thus ignoring the likes of Prokofiev, Copland, Poulenc, Rivera, Chagall, Miro, Elot, Tolkien, O'Keefe, Beckmann, Erte, etc.

Know well that like the Lost, the early 'bad boys' of Generation X will either mellow out, destroy themselves, or go into oblivion. Of obvious importance will be the X administrators and entrepreneurs whose economic activity will (1) initiate on a small scale what later generations do on a bigger scale, and (2) create the material foundation for any successful struggle in a Crisis war.

Generation X must ditch the alienation that at best achieves nothing and at turns success into failure by turning the resources of a prosperous society to an evil cause. Fascists and Stalinist enforcers largely contemporaries of the American Lost generation came close to destroying our civilization. That includes David Curtis Stevenson, a charismatic Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan who has remarkable parallels to Adolf Hitler.
They are very creative. Here in NZ too. I have memories of the lone xer in my class grabbing a table that we had pushed over to the group table and sitting by himself away from everyone to work on an individual project. We wondered if he was ok or mad at us. They are so inventive because of that individualism and not wanting to follow the group. It is their strength. Xer teachers i have had lament at the death of individual creativity with us millie artists.

Yes, there are evil ones among us nomad generations.  The Lost had Klan leader David Curtis Stevenson, true, but it also had Earl Warren, the Chief Justice whose court pronounced segregation illegal and made other landmark decisions protecting the rights of citizens. 

I think the alienation, the lone wolf mentality, serves us well in some ways.  It makes us flexible and inventive.  Nomads are a transitional generation, more than others, I think--bridging the old order and the new.  That is our purpose, during a 4T.  Yes, the prophets are the dreamers of the new world, the civics the heroes who sacrifice themselves for the cause, but it is the nomads who are making the decisions on the ground--the ones brainstorming to create actionable plans for the new world that must be created.  It is a difficult task.

It would be nice if we got a little credit, is all I'm saying I guess.
(11-07-2016, 01:52 AM)gabrielle Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, there are evil ones among us nomad generations.  The Lost had Klan leader David Curtis Stevenson, true, but it also had Earl Warren, the Chief Justice whose court pronounced segregation illegal and made other landmark decisions protecting the rights of citizens. 

I think the alienation, the lone wolf mentality, serves us well in some ways.  It makes us flexible and inventive.  Nomads are a transitional generation, more than others, I think--bridging the old order and the new.  That is our purpose, during a 4T.  Yes, the prophets are the dreamers of the new world, the civics the heroes who sacrifice themselves for the cause, but it is the nomads who are making the decisions on the ground--the ones brainstorming to create actionable plans for the new world that must be created.  It is a difficult task.

It would be nice if we got a little credit, is all I'm saying I guess.

I have mentioned several times here that I believe the nomads are the true heroes for they plan out how to rationally create a new world. I believe us civics to not be the real heroes. We are as i have said many times....cannon foddar. Maybe you did not see my posts.
Given the vitriol on both sides, and the blatant nonsense and threats which the political right believes and promotes about Hillary and other liberals, I think foreboding about the next 10 years is warranted.
(11-07-2016, 11:55 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]

I have ditched my alienation and walk through the mountain pass along side the up and coming Civics. Into the Valley of Death we will stride, onward, onward ... there is a higher mission. Our own lives are not that important.

So, was your turn from the darkness to the light as drastic as Glenn Beck's?   Big Grin

"Obama made me a better man"
Beck hasn't quite turned far enough. He doesn't support Hillary Clinton. I'm sure he's still hanging on to the Reagan mythology.
I have nothing but foreboding for the Presidency of Donald Trump. Demagogues never make good on their promises even with a stooge legislature behind them.
#RIPAMERICA
(11-07-2016, 05:10 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Given the vitriol on both sides, and the blatant nonsense and threats which the political right believes and promotes about Hillary and other liberals, I think foreboding about the next 10 years is warranted.

And my goodness, even more warranted now.
(11-06-2016, 11:12 PM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]Not bad.  Generation X would probably best be described as the Ignored Generation.

And millennials are a failure so far.
(11-09-2016, 04:04 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-06-2016, 11:12 PM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]Not bad.  Generation X would probably best be described as the Ignored Generation.

From the graphs I saw most sided with Clinton. He won thanks to xer and boomer majority.
Thing is, dionysian prophets only know how to destroy. That is their purpose. They are TERRIBLE leaders due to their divisive nature.

That remains to be seen.
(11-09-2016, 05:11 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]

That remains to be seen.

That's why I said so far. But they failed tonight; that we disagree on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4