Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Legacy of the 2010s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In just a little over nine months from now we will close the books on another decade. What will the legacy of the 2010s be? Its highs, its lows, its would've, could've and should'ves? This could be the decade that disproves at least some of the authors' theory. They identified a roughly 80-year saecular cycle, which would have made this decade coincide with the 1930s. Yet the 2010s were a far cry from the near universal misery of the earlier time. At its beginning we may have still felt the effects of the downturn of the closing years of the 00 decade, but nothing even closely resembling a second great depression occurred. Being a Chicago area person, one of the highlights has to be that of the Cubs winning the world series for the first time in over a century. Your thoughts here.
Politics: we wasted a good President and got a horrid one.

Culture: we might not quite have the equivalent of 1939, the greatest year of American cinema, this year -- but the cinematic output is very good. I see no equivalent of Big Band music, the greatest popular music ever unless one considers Haydn and Mozart 'popular' in their time.

Eighty years ago, the world was much more dangerous -- and obviously so. Japan was in a bloody war with China; Mussolini had incorporated Ethiopia and Albania into the Italian Empire; Hitler had annexed Austria and dismembered Czechoslovakia to add much of it into the Demonic Reich, and his regime already showed its enmity toward Jews in the Kristallnacht. The Nationalists were destroying such traces of liberal modernity in Spain as had survived the Spanish Civil War until then. Fascistic movements had blamed the Jews for the economic hardships of many nations, and anyone not a fool recognized the Soviet Union as a dehumanizing nightmare.

Maybe this Crisis Era is not so dangerous as the last one. Maybe the last one was the most dangerous Crisis possible.
Obama was no good.

And TV made more good stuff than cinema.
Obama was a piece of shit who prolonged the Depression like FDR did. He only got reelected because Mitt Romney was simply too weird for the electorate. We're just now starting to come out of it because Bernanke inflated the economy and there is no guarantee that it is actual prosperity and not a bubble. That said the private sector spent the decade deleveraging so that's good.

As for cinema output I don't know what you're watching PBR but Hollyweird has been horrid. Unless of course you like comic book movies and Disney ruining Star Wars. Television however has been somewhat better lately what with Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones, though the later two are based on series of graphic novels and novels respectively.

Also your understanding of history, is as ever flawed. The Nationalists were destroying communism in Spain before communism destroyed Spain.
(05-14-2019, 08:32 PM)Hintergrund Wrote: [ -> ]Obama was no good.

In Howe-Strauss terminology he was pre-seasonal. He is a mature Reactive, the sort who acts with little cynicism and knows enough to not make the settling of scores a focus of his leadership.  He is the sort of leader one usually gets after the Crisis or near its end. Donald Trump is everything that can be wrong with an Idealist with none of the virtues.

Quote:And TV made more good stuff than cinema.

That depends on what television and cinema one watches.
(05-15-2019, 01:15 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-14-2019, 08:32 PM)Hintergrund Wrote: [ -> ]And TV made more good stuff than cinema.

That depends on what television and cinema one watches.

Haven't seen many good movies in the last years. TV had Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and many other good shows.
(03-27-2019, 06:38 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: [ -> ]In just a little over nine months from now we will close the books on another decade. What will the legacy of the 2010s be? Its highs, its lows, its would've, could've and should'ves? This could be the decade that disproves at least some of the authors' theory. They identified a roughly 80-year saecular cycle, which would have made this decade coincide with the 1930s. Yet the 2010s were a far cry from the near universal misery of the earlier time. At its beginning we may have still felt the effects of the downturn of the closing years of the 00 decade, but nothing even closely resembling a second great depression occurred....

The majority of people still work for low wages and have to pay high prices. The effects of the Bush recession live on, despite Obama's actions that have made it more tolerable than the great depression. The rich get all the breaks, and the culture war drags on. The effects of the great recession and mushrooming climate change continue, and reinforce one another. Last time we had the Dust Bowl; this time there's severe droughts, storms and floods. Our 4T is literally a winter season, which will continue for decades unless things shift rapidly in the next 10 years. That could happen. 

Meanwhile the refugees from the recession, climate change and the resulting civil wars that broke out in 2011 continue to stir up right-wing fears and prejudice in the USA, Europe and elsewhere, heightening the polarizations and divisions. The USA may be on the verge of a split like the 4T from 2 cycles ago, which resembles the current one even more than the previous one does. The threat of our government falling into chaotic authoritarian destruction is greater from within this time, instead of from without. Our red states may become the new Confederacy.

Culturally we have far less to escape to in this 4T than in the last one; in the last 4T we did have a golden age of film and good pop music. Now TV and movies are dull, and so is the music. Our just-previous 2T was almost as creative as the one previous 120 years ago, and our golden age of pop music occurred then, in the sixties and early 70s, with far more abundant creativity and energy than the big band era produced. And culture in the earlier times was free or cheap, whereas to see the supposedly-good TV shows today you have to pay big bucks.
(05-19-2019, 03:41 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2019, 06:38 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: [ -> ]In just a little over nine months from now we will close the books on another decade. What will the legacy of the 2010s be? Its highs, its lows, its would've, could've and should'ves? This could be the decade that disproves at least some of the authors' theory. They identified a roughly 80-year saecular cycle, which would have made this decade coincide with the 1930s. Yet the 2010s were a far cry from the near universal misery of the earlier time. At its beginning we may have still felt the effects of the downturn of the closing years of the 00 decade, but nothing even closely resembling a second great depression occurred....

The majority of people still work for low wages and have to pay high prices. The effects of the Bush recession live on, despite Obama's actions that have made it more tolerable than the great depression. The rich get all the breaks, and the culture war drags on. The effects of the great recession and mushrooming climate change continue, and reinforce one another. Last time we had the Dust Bowl; this time there's severe droughts, storms and floods. Our 4T is literally a winter season, which will continue for decades unless things shift rapidly in the next 10 years. That could happen. 

Meanwhile the refugees from the recession, climate change and the resulting civil wars that broke out in 2011 continue to stir up right-wing fears and prejudice in the USA, Europe and elsewhere, heightening the polarizations and divisions. The USA may be on the verge of a split like the 4T from 2 cycles ago, which resembles the current one even more than the previous one does. The threat of our government falling into chaotic authoritarian destruction is greater from within this time, instead of from without. Our red states may become the new Confederacy.

Culturally we have far less to escape to in this 4T than in the last one; in the last 4T we did have a golden age of film and good pop music. Now TV and movies are dull, and so is the music. Our just-previous 2T was almost as creative as the one previous 120 years ago, and our golden age of pop music occurred then, in the sixties and early 70s, with far more abundant creativity and energy than the big band era produced. And culture in the earlier times was free or cheap, whereas to see the supposedly-good TV shows today you have to pay big bucks.

Less to escape to if you're into mainstream current music and culture. More to escape to if you're an expert at using the internet to find anything.
(05-19-2019, 03:55 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-19-2019, 03:41 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]

Less to escape to if you're into mainstream current music and culture. More to escape to if you're an expert at using the internet to find anything.

Classical music. Academic lectures. Great literature.  People just have to learn to pick and choose. I am now listening to a performance of Beethoven's Seventh symphony with Wilhelm Furtwangler conducting the Berlin Philharmonic in 1943. That is right -- National-Satanist Germany. Great musical performances can come from the most demonic time and place, the political entity then committing unspeakable horrors.

You will have to spend some money to get a good movie collection, but it is worth the outlay.

...A great fault with our educational system is that we are teaching people to become machines in the service of economic elites so that they can spend their lives working multiple jobs just to meet the demands of landlords and loan-sharks... yes, we have a thoroughly-unjust economic order devoid of any obvious virtues. We should be teaching people how to live to the fullest, and that implies a return to liberal arts as a completion of the preparation for a good life. That might not be so great for the suppliers of cultural pablum for numbed people -- but why should I care about the bilge that vanishes because people can think of better things to do with their time?

The fault is in economics, but that is a moral issue -- whether a government predicated on the enrichment, indulgence, and power of extant elites
I see the 2010s as an absolute waste of a decade. Not only was I screwed over by the actions of older generations, I'll be screwed over by my own generation because a lot of the ideas they have are ideas I think are moronic and mean spirited that I'll be forced to live under. Then later on I'll be blamed for my generation's actions even though I didn't agree with the whole consensus. This is a big joke. Good thing my bloodline ends with me. I hate this world for forcing me to be born in this era. If I have to suffer through policies I don't like I'll be very mean and unpleasant the entire 1T and 2T to spite the world for forcing me to live under policies I hate. I was forced to be born under a mob I disagree with and forced to be screwed over by the older policies too. I can't help but feel incredible anger towards the universe.
Myself, I see only 9 months of the 21st century as being worthwhile, in 2009. Other than some decent pop music in circa 2012, it's been a wasted century so far. I see it as stillborn on Dec.12, 2000.

Which policies would you like to live under instead of the ones we have, Aspie?
(05-19-2019, 06:54 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2019, 06:38 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: [ -> ]In just a little over nine months from now we will close the books on another decade. What will the legacy of the 2010s be? Its highs, its lows, its would've, could've and should'ves? This could be the decade that disproves at least some of the authors' theory. They identified a roughly 80-year saecular cycle, which would have made this decade coincide with the 1930s. Yet the 2010s were a far cry from the near universal misery of the earlier time. At its beginning we may have still felt the effects of the downturn of the closing years of the 00 decade, but nothing even closely resembling a second great depression occurred. Being a Chicago area person, one of the highlights has to be that of the Cubs winning the world series for the first time in over a century. Your thoughts here.

For me the 2010s were a VERY important time for my local area and the news went global and shocked the world as it seems. That was the time our entire city came crashing down and many tourists and locals had died in the many many large earthquakes. The legacy of the 2010s for my area is that we will always remember that time as it is surrounded by us to this day physically. We still have fallen buildings waiting to be rebuilt, we are still rebuilding an entire city from the ashes. It took out our city's icon, the Christchurch cathedral. Us millennials were mobilized to create the SVA and help in mass our community. It was a devastating, yet empowering time of community building and extreme loss.

[Image: 1424831448389.jpg]

[Image: chch-cathedral-getty-1120.jpg]

[Image: ZEALAND-1298416350030-jumbo.jpg]

[Image: christchurch-earthquake-damage-hayes-pho...hy-900.jpg]

[Image: EQM-093672.jpg]
memorial wall for those who died.

[Image: SVA-moving.jpg]
some members of the group I was in...the SVA made and run by fellow kiwi millennials. We will never forget the 2010s.

[Image: yuIzTBOArJfqX67T5VEVgcL6ACOzOx49E8XaWMrE...4834FQlSi7]

[Image: 1512014819853.jpg]

[Image: Student-Volunteer-Army-SVA-removing-mud-...-Platt.png]
clearing out silt brought up from the earthquakes was part of the job. The 2010s rocked our part of the world, shaped us as a community, tore down an old city, took from us loved ones, and brought life a new rebuild. A new city.

-- & y'all banned assault weapons. I wish we could do that here
(05-19-2019, 08:13 PM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]-- & y'all banned assault weapons. I wish we could do that here

The crime rates in the US are going lower and lower yet somehow I should be punished by getting less freedom than the older generations even though I caused less crime. That makes total sense doesn't it?
(05-19-2019, 09:12 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-19-2019, 08:13 PM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]-- & y'all banned assault weapons. I wish we could do that here

The crime rates in the US are going lower and lower yet somehow I should be punished by getting less freedom than the older generations even though I caused less crime. That makes total sense doesn't it?

You sound terribly depressed. Whatever you do, do not get a firearm. Get a dog instead.

Yes indeed.
(05-19-2019, 08:41 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]I hear NRA stands in the way of that. But also I hear that second amendment screamed out a lot so it is also ingrained into politics and culture. It would be nice if people would not mow down children in your country with certain types of guns, but it is like banging head on wall trying to do anything about it in your country. Here, it happened within a week or two I believe.

In other words, New Zealand surrendered its liberty because black guns are scary.  Americans have a saying about those who will surrender their liberty for security.  They deserve neither.  Add to that NZ is also apparently importing hoards of third world trash I hope you enjoy your soon to be skyrocketing crime rates.
(05-20-2019, 11:44 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]

This is very suitable here in this forum and paints views with EVERYONE here hence we can never see eye to eye. It paints kinsers view UNLESS he can provide proof behind his prophecy of course, otherwise it reminds me of Eric. I will wait and see. I hope he is far more grounded.

Good one. There is absolute truth, at the least with mathematical and physical laws and the all-powerful dialectic.
(05-19-2019, 11:11 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: [ -> ]I see the 2010s as an absolute waste of a decade. Not only was I screwed over by the actions of older generations, I'll be screwed over by my own generation because a lot of the ideas they have are ideas I think are moronic and mean spirited that I'll be forced to live under. Then later on I'll be blamed for my generation's actions even though I didn't agree with the whole consensus. This is a big joke. Good thing my bloodline ends with me. I hate this world for forcing me to be born in this era. If I have to suffer through policies I don't like I'll be very mean and unpleasant the entire 1T and 2T to spite the world for forcing me to live under policies I hate. I was forced to be born under a mob I disagree with and forced to be screwed over by the older policies too. I can't help but feel incredible anger towards the universe.

No-one can force beliefs and ideas upon you. I certainly can't, or anyone on the forum. I think you are entitled to keep your own council and opinions. I think it's wise to be open to new ideas, and to the possibility that you may be mistaken in some of your opinions. In MY opinion, there is much in the millennial generation to admire, including their ability to see the need for collective social and government action. They see more clearly than older generations the severe threat of climate change and pollution and the need for broad action. They see more clearly that wealth and resources are poorly distributed among the people, and that our system favors the fortunate few and keeps the rest shackled. Millennials may have the courage to take action together. They are often resentful of greater wealth and power held by boomers and other older people, and want new leadership. Of course, most of the liberal trend among millennials can be attributed to their greater racial and ethnic diversity.

I notice some millennials may have poor anger and impulse control. They may be too inclined to denial of spiritual realities at times. There is a trend toward repression of sexuality abroad today (but it's good to restrain males who take advantage of women). Civic generations may be collegial and great at networking, but perhaps more conformist in some ways too. Their appreciation of and contribution to culture may be shallow at times, though at other times quite talented. But these are all generalities, and no generation is composed of folks who are all the same. There are always generation members who go in opposite directions to the leading trends among them. So best of luck to you in that capacity.
(05-20-2019, 11:44 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]

This is very suitable here in this forum and paints views with EVERYONE here hence we can never see eye to eye. It paints kinsers view UNLESS he can provide proof behind his prophecy of course, otherwise it reminds me of Eric. I will wait and see. I hope he is far more grounded.

My comment wasn't so much a prediction, as it was a statement of fact.  Immigrants (legal or otherwise) bring their problems with them.  Disarming the population while at the same time importing people from high corruption and high crime countries will inevitably lead to the most criminal and most corrupt being the most armed.

Like I said those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.  It was true when Benjamin Franklin said it, it is still true today.
Tara...I personally don't care about whatever tyranny the people of New Zealand are willing to accept. You guys can turn your country into an Orwellian Nightmare (like the Brits are doing), I simply won't go there.  Here, however, we simply will not tolerate being so disarmed.  It is an American thing and nearly impossible to explain to someone who isn't an American--and quite a few who are (though in their case I think they are being deliberately obtuse).

As for me...I'll keep my AR-15 next to the door thanks.  

Pages: 1 2