Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Trump Trainwreck - Ongoing diary of betrayal and evil
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(11-28-2016, 02:46 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2016, 11:20 AM)Bronsin Wrote: [ -> ]You know you're on the right side when the opposition is burning flags and mourning Castro.

Pretty much how I feel about it.  I bet Castro had a pretty large body count.

Small by the standards of Commie regimes upon achieving power, probably on the level of Agosto Pinochet and much less than the Argentine military dictatorship. Much less than the Duvalier regime in Haiti (before I even discuss famine) or the Trujillo regime of the Dominican Republic. Less, probably, than the drug wars in Colombia and Mexico for which fault American addicts have much blood on their hands.

I would have fled Cuba -- that is certain. The regimentation, the numbing propaganda, the absence of democracy, and the endless shortages of consumer goods would have caused me to do something drastic to escape Cuba. Castro was colorful, which is more than one can say of most other post-WWII Commies; that made it possible for people outside Cuba to trivialize how nasty he was.

I wonder if I will flee Trump.
(11-28-2016, 08:11 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2016, 08:05 AM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2016, 11:20 AM)Bronsin Wrote: [ -> ]You know you're on the right side when the opposition is burning flags and mourning Castro.

Capitalism has a pretty large body count.

The Fascists, kings and other communist leaders also had a large body count.  Just to compare and contrast, who doesn't have a large body count?  The Eskimos live in a very resource poor environment.  They have never had the surplus resources and population for warfare and genocide.  There are other cultures in similar situations that haven't large body counts.

But to compare and contrast, would anyone care to suggest a few recent cultures or government styles that don't tend to run up body counts?

Bland liberalism, social democracy, and humane liberalism are much safer than absolute monarchy, Communism, fascism, Nazism, Ba'athism, mad despotism (as with Idi Amin), and military dictatorship.

The American body count results from the political power of a military machine, and generally reflects the flaws of our political practice. We still have checks and balances (and will until we end up with a single-party regime that subverts or abolishes those checks and balances); we simply no longer have a representative democracy.
(11-28-2016, 06:52 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2016, 09:34 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]

Marxism-Leninism, including Castroism, is in part a moral appeal -- that mass suffering for the indulgence of a few is unconscionable. That it comes with a police state, numbing propaganda, pervasive regimentation, material scarcity, and the absence of political choice discredits Marxism-Leninism, including Castro's variety. But should Donald Trump and his supporters 'give' us a police state, numbing propaganda, pervasive regimentation, material scarcity, and the absence of political choice in the name of "national greatness", then maybe there will be American exile communities elsewhere in the world in which people celebrate the death of someone who murdered American democracy.

Yes, I hope for the best, but this largely depends upon Donald Trump operating with a moral compass that he never showed during the 2016 election. Expecting a politician to become more humane and decent in office than he was in a campaign is like expecting a tiger to go vegetarian.

For the record, I'm not mourning Castro.

In my exchanges with Kinser during his Marxist phase, I repeated often my feeling that the followers of Marx replace one group of ruling elites with no check on their power with another.  Castro would be no exception.  At least, I envision Castro as the typical communist leader riding in fancy cars, not going hungry, and having access to good medical care, while his people are treated less well.

Trump?  He rides in fancy cars and planes, doesn't go hungry and has good access to medical care too.  How proactively will he take health care away from the poor?  How active will he be in further increasing the division of wealth?  While I'm dubious that another round of borrow and spend trickle down will have a different long term result than Bush 43's, I don't think Trump will produce an economy as bad as Cuba's under Castro.  Pushing Trump = Castro is a bit much for me, but I'm not expecting a vegetarian tiger either.

For the same reason that I did not mourn Pinochet, I'm not mourning Castro.

All economic elites live far better than the masses. Just look at the Pope's residence (OK, there was a time when the Papacy was selected from the noblest families of Italy for political reasons). I don't see much difference between the Soviet nomenklatura and the American executive elite.

Castro was surely less indulgent than Nicolae Ceausescu, whose vulgarity offended as much as did his excess.

Donald Trump obviously has no mystique of leading a guerilla revolution against a nasty dictator (even if many of his supporters think of Obama as such he most certainly isn't).  It is unlikely that Donald Trump will ever proclaim that he is involved in a totalitarian movement like Fascism, Apartheid, or Ku Kluxism as Castro proclaimed himself a Marxist-Leninist. His ideology will be the stated opposite of Castro's Marxist ideology -- as far as I can tell, a return to the capitalist order that Karl Marx gives as a stereotype.  Like Castro, Trump is a demagogue. Both have readily used violent rhetoric. Both scapegoat, if about very different groups of people.

If Cuba has endured a loss of entrepreneurs, then the America of Donald Trump could have a huge loss of educated, imaginative, creative people. If he starts telling Disney to start praising entrepreneurs and to vilify unions and environmentalists, then Disney can pack up its creative talent and go somewhere in which it endures no such interference, and maintain offices in America solely for marketing. Australia could use the business. So could many other countries. 

Much of the wealth in America is intellectual property. But records can be cut anywhere. Text can be created anywhere. Film, including animation, can be done anywhere. Should someone like Carly Simon find the heat on for letting You're So Vain be used against a political candidate she considered inordinately vain, then she can resurrect her recording career in England. Bollywood is now bigger than Hollywood. And don't fool yourself: the climates of California from San Francisco to San Diego can be found elsewhere.

When Hitler overthrew the Weimar Republic, a country with great cultural productivity, he chased out the creative people that he disliked. There was no greater gift ever to American culture than creative people who fled Hitler. American film studios got to create the successors of Metropolis and M. Nazi cinema became rubbish. America got many musicians who had played in the Berlin Philharmonic but could no longer do so because they were Jewish. They could go to New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia. We got some excellent professors.  The influence could be subtle. The camera technique used in all American sitcoms was introduced in I Love Lucy was introduced by a cameraman who had introduced some amazing techniques in Metropolis.
(11-27-2016, 05:44 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2016, 03:55 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed, at just the time when there was talk about the need for someone other than the police to be social workers in poor communities, the people of Galen's persuasion are back in power and able to cut off social services and education even more. What the right-wing wants is for the poor and people of color to suffer, apparently. They want them to rise up, and get themselves shot and jailed by racist police. They are not satisfied with 40 years of national decline; they want more and more.

Not really, its just that government is so inefficient.

Yeah, kinda like Medicare and Medicaid that provide healthcare benefits through large provider networks and do it at much lower cost per capita than any insurance provider ... even the mutuals.  Like that.

No one gets to write the history of the Castro era that is alive today.  It's way to complex.  Suffice it say that mourners don't line up for hours to pay their respects to someone they despise, so there's a much larger narrative in play than the one about "Tyrant Castro" we love to tell here in the US.
(11-28-2016, 06:52 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]For the record, I'm not mourning Castro.

In my exchanges with Kinser during his Marxist phase, I repeated often my feeling that the followers of Marx replace one group of ruling elites with no check on their power with another.  Castro would be no exception.  At least, I envision Castro as the typical communist leader riding in fancy cars, not going hungry, and having access to good medical care, while his people are treated less well.

Trump?  He rides in fancy cars and planes, doesn't go hungry and has good access to medical care too.  How proactively will he take health care away from the poor?  How active will he be in further increasing the division of wealth?  While I'm dubious that another round of borrow and spend trickle down will have a different long term result than Bush 43's, I don't think Trump will produce an economy as bad as Cuba's under Castro.  Pushing Trump = Castro is a bit much for me, but I'm not expecting a vegetarian tiger either.

There is no other example of a small weak nation standing up to the world's hegemon -- up close and personal.  Leave this one to the historians with no built-in biases or axes to grind.  I'm sure the final story will be a lot different than any of the current variants.
(11-28-2016, 06:52 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2016, 09:34 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]

[Image: Rest+in+power+fidel+castro+after+638+ass...100964.jpg]

Marxism-Leninism, including Castroism, is in part a moral appeal -- that mass suffering for the indulgence of a few is unconscionable. That it comes with a police state, numbing propaganda, pervasive regimentation, material scarcity, and the absence of political choice discredits Marxism-Leninism, including Castro's variety. But should Donald Trump and his supporters 'give' us a police state, numbing propaganda, pervasive regimentation, material scarcity, and the absence of political choice in the name of "national greatness", then maybe there will be American exile communities elsewhere in the world in which people celebrate the death of someone who murdered American democracy.

Yes, I hope for the best, but this largely depends upon Donald Trump operating with a moral compass that he never showed during the 2016 election. Expecting a politician to become more humane and decent in office than he was in a campaign is like expecting a tiger to go vegetarian.

For the record, I'm not mourning Castro.

Of course Trump will not produce an economy as bad as Castro's, because we start from a much higher base as the leading economy in the world, in the saeculum that began with the American High, the 1T of the most powerful and prosperous nation in the world that had just defeated its rivals. But I wonder if after it's all said and done, whether the Trump economy compared to the Obama economy will have given America a decline that is larger than the Castro economy's supposed decline after the Batista economy. Time may tell.
(11-27-2016, 05:44 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2016, 03:55 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed, at just the time when there was talk about the need for someone other than the police to be social workers in poor communities, the people of Galen's persuasion are back in power and able to cut off social services and education even more. What the right-wing wants is for the poor and people of color to suffer, apparently. They want them to rise up, and get themselves shot and jailed by racist police. They are not satisfied with 40 years of national decline; they want more and more.

Not really, its just that government is so inefficient.

Sure, there are some things with which government is inefficient. As an extreme example, lynch mobs would be far more efficient than courts of law in dispensing punishment to offenders.
(11-28-2016, 02:32 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Of course Trump will not produce an economy as bad as Castro's, because we start from a much higher base as the leading economy in the world, in the saeculum that began with the American High, the 1T of the most powerful and prosperous nation in the world that had just defeated its rivals. But I wonder if after it's all said and done, whether the Trump economy compared to the Obama economy will have given America a decline that is larger than the Castro economy's supposed decline after the Batista economy. Time may tell.

But he could make America far less attractive place in which to live, one in which asset ownership is everything and those who own the assets have effective command on everything.

Trump's ideal is a glitzy, mindless, hard-hearted, grossly-inequitable world... something like the bad alternative future in Back to the Future or the awful alternative to Bedford Falls in It's a Wonderful Life.

Just watch for the brain drain.  In view of his pick for Secretary of Education, if I were a software engineer had a choice between staying in India and working in its high-tech industry and going to the USA where my kids might not have a chance at a quality education, I just might stay in India despite the far lower pay. I'd rather live in a country and culture that values learning... at least for the sake of the children.
(11-28-2016, 08:03 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]Just to confirm there are racists out there,  CNN reports that California mosques are receiving hate letters.

CNN Wrote:The author addressed the letter "to the children of Satan" and called Muslims "a vile and filthy people."

"There's a new sheriff in town," the letter said, "President Donald Trump."

An anonymous group calling itself "Americans for a Better Way" has sent a letter to at least three California mosques, according to the Council for Islamic Relations (CAIR), a Muslim advocacy group.

"He's going to do to you Muslims what Hitler did to the jews [sic]," the letter said. "You muslims [sic] would be wise to pack your bags and get out of Dodge."

Now, Trump isn't as blatant and open in his hate as this guy, but is clear that some of the deplorables are interpreting him as green lighting this sort of stuff.

Sure.  Just as some of Obama's supporters interpreted Obama as giving the green light to assassinating police, even though Obama wasn't "as blatant and open" about it.

Or maybe Trump actually disapproves of those guys just as one hopes Obama disapproves of the assassins.
(11-28-2016, 04:06 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2016, 08:03 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]Just to confirm there are racists out there,  CNN reports that California mosques are receiving hate letters.

CNN Wrote:The author addressed the letter "to the children of Satan" and called Muslims "a vile and filthy people."

An anonymous group calling itself "Americans for a Better Way" has sent a letter to at least three California mosques, according to the Council for Islamic Relations (CAIR), a Muslim advocacy group.

"He's going to do to you Muslims what Hitler did to the jews [sic]," the letter said. "You muslims [sic] would be wise to pack your bags and get out of Dodge."

Now, Trump isn't as blatant and open in his hate as this guy, but is clear that some of the deplorables are interpreting him as green lighting this sort of stuff.

Sure.  Just as some of Obama's supporters interpreted Obama as giving the green light to assassinating police, even though Obama wasn't "as blatant and open" about it.

Or maybe Trump actually disapproves of those guys just as one hopes Obama disapproves of the assassins.

Obama doesn't associate with the Nation of Islam and related Black Sepratist bigots. Trump has a anti-Semitic White Nationalist as his "chief strategist".
(11-28-2016, 04:13 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]

Obama doesn't associate with the Nation of Islam and related Black Sepratist bigots. Trump has a anti-Semitic White Nationalist as his "chief strategist".

Valerie Jarrett is way worse than Bannon.  And Obama had Rev. Jeremiah Wright as his pastor for years.
(11-28-2016, 05:15 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]

Obama doesn't associate with the Nation of Islam and related Black Separatist bigots. Trump has a anti-Semitic White Nationalist as his "chief strategist".

Valerie Jarrett is way worse than Bannon.  And Obama had Rev. Jeremiah Wright as his pastor for years.

Valerie Jarrett worse than Bannon? wikipedia has nothing on this. Is this another fake news rumor? Worse in what way?

Hardly anyone could be worse than Bannon. And Jeremiah Wright was not appointed as an advisor or cabinet official.

Quote:Sure. Just as some of Obama's supporters interpreted Obama as giving the green light to assassinating police, even though Obama wasn't "as blatant and open" about it.

So because Obama rightly questions the unjustified murder and civil rights violations of young unarmed black men by racist police, that means he advocates shooting police, but is not as blatant about it? You are really reaching today, pal. Obama went to their funeral and spoke highly of police.

You may have to face the fact that you have voted for a white supremacist who is taking away our civil rights.
What the people voted for in 2016; more of this!

Many Heartland Americans have been drinking this kool-aid for 35 years and counting!
Trump is the new Reagan. Bill Maher tells the absolute truth about Saint Ronnie:

Take the great bullshit artist off his ugly pedestal!

Thom Hartman takes him down even further:
https://youtu.be/-b1ePD_Hi_w
(11-28-2016, 07:05 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2016, 06:22 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Trump is the new Reagan. Bill Maher tells the absolute truth about Saint Ronnie:

Take the great bullshit artist off his ugly pedestal!

Thom Hartman takes him down even further:
https://youtu.be/-b1ePD_Hi_w

I know many Blue Boomers and even the odd Blue Xer really hate Reagan.

But you are not going to win hearts and minds this way.

It is defamation of Reagan to liken him to Trump.

In fact I would go as far to say that likening Trump to Reagan makes it seem like The Left are crying wolf about Trump. The logic here would be, well, if Trump is like Reagan, and Lefties are decrying that fact, then ol' Trump is A-OK.

I know that the values-locked, stuck in the 2T and 3T Blue Boomers and certain Xer mini-mes thereof don't get this distinction, but it is very important. You will never win over Reagan Democrats and / or progeny of them with this sort of rhetoric.

That's OK. It is really important to bust the Reagan myth. Totally. He is the source of our national decline. I know Trump takes certain things to new levels. But Reagan is the sourcepoint of most of his policies.
(11-28-2016, 05:15 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]

That you think those two are black seperatists shows how brainwashed you are by right-wing BS.
(11-28-2016, 10:48 AM)David Horn Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2016, 06:52 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]For the record, I'm not mourning Castro.

There is no other example of a small weak nation standing up to the world's hegemon -- up close and personal.  Leave this one to the historians with no built-in biases or axes to grind.  I'm sure the final story will be a lot different than any of the current variants.

Finland vs. the Soviet Union during World War II... impressive territory, but a small population.

"Oh, so many Russians? Where will we bury them all?"

...The Finns are estimated to have had a 30-1 kill-to-loss rate.
(11-29-2016, 08:01 AM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2016, 05:15 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]

That you think those two are black seperatists shows how brainwashed you are by right-wing BS.

I only pointed out that Jarrett - and Wright - are more extreme than Bannon.  It's you that is drawing the wrong conclusion based on your side's propaganda.