Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: How does the Fourth Turning produce unity in the end when 4T people are terrible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't understand this. As the 4T goes on more and more, I come more to the conclusion that the majority is terrible and that people are getting worse and worse. It makes me want to be a hermit, not unite or conform with people. When you see a 4T, you're looking at the evil of humanity and how terrible people can be. The only solution is to withdraw away from the world because people are getting worse.
(05-05-2019, 07:04 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand this. As the 4T goes on more and more, I come more to the conclusion that the majority is terrible and that people are getting worse and worse. It makes me want to be a hermit, not unite or conform with people. When you see a 4T, you're looking at the evil of humanity and how terrible people can be. The only solution is to withdraw away from the world because people are getting worse.

The majority is not terrible. Flawed? Of course. Hypocritical? Almost everyone falls short of his stated ideals, and the few non-hypocrites that I have met are simply proud of their own wickedness, and that attitude is not good for freedom or even survival.

The trick of great leadership is to get self-interest to match human goodness. Trump obviously fails at that.
(05-05-2019, 07:04 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand this. As the 4T goes on more and more, I come more to the conclusion that the majority is terrible and that people are getting worse and worse. It makes me want to be a hermit, not unite or conform with people. When you see a 4T, you're looking at the evil of humanity and how terrible people can be. The only solution is to withdraw away from the world because people are getting worse.

The supposed unity that arises in 4Ts only appears in hindsight.  Last time FDR was refered to "That Man" by many (indeed was after for years too).  I expect the same will be true of Trump.

As for people being terrible...humanity itself is terrible.  I too have little desire to unite or conform with people.  And if I didn't have a husband already I would be a hermit.  I once claimed that was my life's ambition--to be a hermit.  Unfortunately hermit-ing doesn't pay well and I also like electricity, and having the internet so I can argue with the retards from time to time (and get weather reports and such) so I need to do things that pay...which unfortunately means that I often have to interact with the dregs of society (which is just about everyone).
(05-11-2019, 05:29 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]

These times can bring out the worst in people, but can give rise to a rebellion against that and causes people to desire the ideal even more. To end the wars and have peace. Also it can make people feel what you feel right now. Its the 4T mood.

That is the point. We must rebel against evil. We face both the conservative Devil that we know, and the radical Devil that we don't know. Both have similar talent at degrading and destroying people.

My theory: Life expectation has grown; many powerful Silents are still around; hence, the old world simply doesn't die, and the new one can't be born. - I made a thread for them.
(05-14-2019, 09:01 PM)Hintergrund Wrote: [ -> ]

My theory: Life expectation has grown; many powerful Silents are still around; hence, the old world simply doesn't die, and the new one can't be born. - I made a thread for them.

From the new beliefs that are growing all the time it seems like the new world that will be created in this failed 4T will be worse than the old one. If anything the 4T has taught me that humans are evil and that it's better to not have children and not have many friends.
The good thing is: All those bad beliefs can fail.