Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Big bust of MS-13 in Long Island
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In view of a spammer clogging up this site with new threads, I am going to try to show how to make a relevant thread. Organized crime isn't what most people think of as business, but it does seem to generate money and grab wealth -- if by hurting its customers or people dependent upon those customers.  That spammer managed to create even more threads than I did -- but mine, you can trust are not spam. So much for the preliminaries. You know what I think of MS-13... I am a liberal on many things, but definitely not crime, and especially on organized crime. 

MS-13 arrests deal blow to gang leadership on Long Island

The violent MS-13 street gang, announcing charges against nearly 100 of the group’s members and associates on Long Island.

Suffolk County District Attorney Timothy Sini revealed a sweeping indictment that he said “decimated” the gang’s leadership and drug suppliers on Long Island. He described the case as the largest of its kind against MS-13 in New York, where the gang has been blamed for dozens of killings since 2016.

The two-year investigation by state and federal authorities thwarted more than a half-dozen murder plots, Sini said, and also provided authorities insights into the gang’s structure and recruiting patterns. The investigation was bolstered by an expansive wire tap in which the authorities monitored calls from more than 200 phone numbers.

Gang members on Long Island conspired with colleagues from as far away as Europe and Oklahoma, collecting cash from drug sales and sending that money to the organization’s leaders in El Salvador, according to the 77-count indictment handed up Monday.

The gang feuded against rivals and would even kill its own members who showed signs of disloyalty or failed to perform “required tasks” such as paying dues or trafficking drugs and weapons, the indictment says.

“MS-13 is a ruthless, savage gang,” Sini said at a news conference, pointing to a machete recovered by law enforcement, the gang’s signature weapon. “They will attempt to recalibrate and send individuals to take up leadership roles in Suffolk County. That’s why we have to stay vigilant.”

Authorities said they seized more than 10 kilograms of cocaine, hundreds of fentanyl pills, drug ledgers, long guns and other firearms, and more than $200,000 cash. Those taken into custody included the leaders of nine so-called “cliques” — factions of MS-13.

“What you’re hearing from us today is that we’re more committed than every to eradicate this gang,” Sini said. ”Is the battle over? Absolutely not.”

MS-13, also known as Mara Salvatrucha, is considered one of the top transnational organized crime threats in the United States. Violence committed by the gang, including the 2016 slayings of two teenage girls, helped spark an aggressive effort by the FBI and the U.S. Justice Department to dismantle the gang,

https://apnews.com/e0782db530284c057a8c06a511aaf56f
No one is tougher on crime than I am - but "organized crime" is a dog whistle for "ethnic crime."
(01-19-2020, 05:18 PM)Anthony Wrote: [ -> ]No one is tougher on crime than I am - but "organized crime" is a dog whistle for "ethnic crime."

I have known of crime syndicates in lily-white, non-ethnic parts of Appalachia and the Ozarks.
(01-19-2020, 05:18 PM)Anthony Wrote: [ -> ]No one is tougher on crime than I am - but "organized crime" is a dog whistle for "ethnic crime."

If you think so, it's likely that even pbrower is tougher on crime than you are.
(01-19-2020, 10:18 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]

If you think so, it's likely that even pbrower is tougher on crime than you are.

1. Most Italian-Americans hate the Mafia, a disgrace to the vast majority of Italian-Americans who do honest work (including the ownership of small businesses). Italian-Americans are the people that the Sicilian and Neapolitan Mafias are most likely to bleed.   

2. More Italian-Americans fit benign stereotypes out of Moonstruck (any cinematic treatment largely of one ethnic group will have stereotypes) than out of Goodfellas. Which group of Italian-Americans could seduce me? So I might listen to more opera...  Italian-American adults know the signals of the Mafia, including its sartorial style, as shown when Henry Hill's grandmother says of the dolled-up delinquent: "You look like a mobster". A hint: if a man, do not wear a suit with pinstripes unless you look Nordic.

3. It is clear that the reputation of MS-13 offends every segment of every Hispanic 'national' group. You saw the article... criminal subcultures are for losers. In the rural area in which I live, the Hispanics of Mexican and Central-American origin have good cause to do well in school. Of course a rural area has few distractions, winters are nasty so a kid might as well go to school for a lack of alternatives, and the roles for ill-educated people are mostly farm labor. The local cops know about MS-13 and would be swift to react to it.

MS-13 largely brutalizes Hispanic populations, does robberies, deals drugs, and pimps girls. Who would want them around? So
they hurt their own... what sort of excuse is that?
Yes, I am tough on crime. I am for stringent law enforcement, and I once made my case for LGBT rights on the observation that whatever makes LGBT life more acceptable to more people makes life safer for us all. I have been gay-bashed, and it is not my fault that I didn't seem masculine enough to someone who threatened me with a beating. It is that tormentor's sick belief that he could beat me on the assumption that I am gay that is so wrong. It would be very wrong if I were gay.

We are better off if the police shed any reputation for inexcusable brutality. OK, self-defense and the defense of others are both often more brutal than the crime that it stops. Sure, pull a gun on a cop and expect to die, especially because cops now have the advantage over armed criminals due to bullet-proof vests. (Criminals convicted of killing police were once a large proportion of people executed for first-degree and capital murder; criminals are more likely to die in an attempted shootout with the police so that they never face lawful execution. I'll take the survival of the cop anytime. The perception that the police are inexcusably brutal makes people more likely to escalate violence, which is the opposite of what we want to see when we call upon the police in a potentially-dangerous situation. Black Lives Matters is not about making criminals more likely to avoid arrest and prosecution.

Drugs? I hate them.

Do the crime, and do the time... whether one robs banks at gunpoint or does illegal pump-and-dump stock frauds.