Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Are Civic Generations seen as weak before the 4T ends?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Or are they typically seen as weak or as lesser than even after the 4T ends?
(12-20-2019, 09:50 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]If they saw us as weak they wouldn't be so threatened by us supposedly killing off certain businesses. I actually find the reason for the question given as more interesting than the question itself.

It doesn't take strength to kill off a business just apathy. If they didn't find us weak they wouldn't be saying it every chance they got.
Weak? In view of a Crisis that may determine whether their world survives or perishes, even they recognize how dangerous a Crisis is and what is at stake. They are obliged to live with the consequences should they survive it.

Question: how old are they as the Crisis approaches its peak of danger? On Pearl Harbor Day, 1941, the oldest f the GI Generation were 40... and they had already made some marks in politics and culture. The Big Band Era in music (the greatest era in popular music unless one considers Mozart and Haydn 'popular' in their time) was already well under way. GI's had become key players as actors, directors, and screenwriters in movies. They were already designing things. The GI's had some idea of how the world would look in the Bright New Age of 1960, according to the New York World's Fair of 1939 and 1940... if the sort of apocalyptic war happening in China (and by September 1939) Poland didn't come to America.

It is hard to define yet what will be the peak of danger to America in this Crisis. But this is a Crisis.

The Millennial Generation is about the same age as the GI Generation was in 1938. The Millennial Generation has yet to show its mettle, but neither had the GI Generation in 1938. I count on the Millennial Generation to reshape American politics in ways that will astonish people... and that will seem inevitable after the fact. Oh, the paradox!
(12-20-2019, 10:50 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2019, 09:51 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2019, 09:50 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]If they saw us as weak they wouldn't be so threatened by us supposedly killing off certain businesses. I actually find the reason for the question given as more interesting than the question itself.

It doesn't take strength to kill off a business just apathy. If they didn't find us weak they wouldn't be saying it every chance they got.

It takes numbers to kill off businesses which is strength. Regarding them saying we are weak, are you saying you literally believe them that they are telling the truth? You know how bullying works, right? Look a little deeper if you are capable of that. Go seek some help.

Bullies target the people they see as easy targets or weak. They bully you to have an easy target and to be a sadist.
(12-21-2019, 08:18 AM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2019, 06:29 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2019, 10:50 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2019, 09:51 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: [ -> ]

It takes numbers to kill off businesses which is strength. Regarding them saying we are weak, are you saying you literally believe them that they are telling the truth? You know how bullying works, right? Look a little deeper if you are capable of that. Go seek some help.

Bullies target the people they see as easy targets or weak. They bully you to have an easy target and to be a sadist.
Incorrect, but believe what you wish if it suits you.

Then why do people bully?
People bully because of their nature -- they are sadists who get delight by imposing suffering on others. Think of the "droogs" of Alex De Large in A Clockwork Orange: they are his partners in crime when Alex is a psychopathic thug, but once he is reduced to a weak and defenseless character, those "droogs" turn against him for no apparent reason -- except that those "droogs" are horrible people. It is easy to see the writer whose wife Alex has raped or the drunk that Alex beat up for no particular reason taking revenge... the "droogs" do what they do out of their character.
(12-21-2019, 05:47 PM)taramarie Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2019, 01:14 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]People bully because of their nature -- they are sadists who get delight by imposing suffering on others. Think of the "droogs" of Alex De Large in A Clockwork Orange: they are his partners in crime when Alex is a psychopathic thug, but once he is reduced to a weak and defenseless character, those "droogs" turn against him for no apparent reason -- except that those "droogs" are horrible people. It is easy to see the writer whose wife Alex has raped or the drunk that Alex beat up for no particular reason taking revenge... the "droogs" do what they do out of their character.

That and because they need to bring people down below them to feel better about themselves and the reason for that is they are attacking people because it reflects what is on the inside of them. They are in emotional pain and so they need to make people feel the same pain too. Misery loves company.

I don't think they're in emotional pain. I think they're simply on an ego trip and have a superiority complex.
People can express their superior distinctions, if legitimate, in ways that do no harm.

I am awed, but I am in no way degraded or humiliated.
(12-20-2019, 09:08 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: [ -> ]Or are they typically seen as weak or as lesser than even after the 4T ends?

I have never heard of civic generations seen as weak. More often they are pillars of support for their leaders, and builders within the dominant paradigms. That I don't see as weakness, but lack of vision.

I'm not accusing millennials per se of anything and don't wish to judge, knock or categorize them too much at this point. There's a lot of variety among millennials. We need millennials in this time to steer our country and our world back on a sustainable and just path. The positive side of civics is the ability to perceive justice and collective security, and to serve the interests of civic entities. They can pool their collective energy effectively. Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.
I look at Donald Trump as the antithesis of the JFK quip "Ask not"... with him it ends "ask what your country can do to you!"
"Millennials are weak" is chiefly an Xer meme. Did the Lost see GIs as weak too? And was there an "OK missionary" backlash against conservative Missionaries who didn't support the New Deal?
(12-23-2019, 03:53 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]"Millennials are weak" is chiefly an Xer meme. Did the Lost see GIs as weak too? And was there an "OK missionary" backlash against conservative Missionaries who didn't support the New Deal?

Will this continue after the 4T though? It's getting tiring.
(12-23-2019, 04:31 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2019, 03:53 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]"Millennials are weak" is chiefly an Xer meme. Did the Lost see GIs as weak too? And was there an "OK missionary" backlash against conservative Missionaries who didn't support the New Deal?

Will this continue after the 4T though? It's getting tiring.

Xer influence will be diminishing during the 1T, but the attack on Millennials from younger Artists and eventually Prophets will start. They will probably see Millennials as soulless robots.
(12-21-2019, 01:14 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]Think of the "droogs" of Alex De Large in A Clockwork Orange: they are his partners in crime when Alex is a psychopathic thug, but once he is reduced to a weak and defenseless character, those "droogs" turn against him for no apparent reason -- except that those "droogs" are horrible people.

In other words, they target him when he has become weak, just as Aspie Millenial said.
(12-23-2019, 03:53 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]Did the Lost see GIs as weak too?

I don't know about "weak", but they seem to have seen GIs as generally unskilled and incapable.  They shut up about that after WWII, though they may have continued to think it.
(12-23-2019, 04:42 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]Xer influence will be diminishing during the 1T, but the attack on Millennials from younger Artists and eventually Prophets will start. They will probably see Millennials as soulless robots.

I don't think Adaptives criticize Civics in the latter's hearing.  Prophets will attack Civics, but as you suggest, their attacks will be along different lines.
(12-23-2019, 02:09 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2019, 04:42 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: [ -> ]Xer influence will be diminishing during the 1T, but the attack on Millennials from younger Artists and eventually Prophets will start. They will probably see Millennials as soulless robots.

I don't think Adaptives criticize Civics in the latter's hearing.  Prophets will attack Civics, but as you suggest, their attacks will be along different lines.

I agree with the above.