Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: I’m a millennial?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(08-19-2020, 01:52 PM)jleagans Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2020, 10:05 AM)David Horn Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2020, 06:25 PM)jleagans Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2020, 06:55 PM)RadianMay Wrote: [ -> ]Also, we in general have no consciousness at all of 9/11. I think it's just something that's out of our mind rather than something we register as a seismic shift. So, I can't really directly comment on the effects that 9/11 has or has had on our generation.

I would argue that a lot of the generational impacts aren't really about that, but more about how parenting strategies change.  American parents and the zeitgeist overall took a darker turn after 9/11 that led to overparenting/lawnmower parenting creating the sheltered gen Z.  I would point to the rapidly rising mental health rates for anxiety and depression in college as evidence.

There's a lot to this.  My son and DIL have 2004 triplets, and they parented in full overparenting mode for years ... until they stopped.  Assuming that Zoomer sticks, the trips are definitely in that group.  But the packed-in-bubblewrap style of parenting is already falling out of favor (at a time it may actually be needed most), though parents are still protective in the historical sense.  In any case, our three are definitely Artists in temperament.  How the COVID stresses affect that is still TBD.

My brother is raising kids right now and I think they are more chillled out as your son seems to have been, but covid is having a lot of automatic overprotection. Kids being raised for a year (minimum) with limited social interaction is only adding to the overprotection.

I can't argue with that.  This pandemic is creating a new normal that's anything but.
Pages: 1 2