Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: Why One Baby Buster Voted For Donald Trump
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(01-24-2017, 12:49 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2017, 08:56 PM)Mikebert Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2017, 02:51 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2017, 11:37 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]This country needs a real labor movement. Not a stealth PAC for politicians, not a crypto-Marxist front group ... but a real grass roots group that is actually run by real workers and whose mission is good paying jobs, reasonable Ts and Cs between workers and corporations, etc ... all the good motherhood and apple pie stuff.

The Tea Party, which is composed of real workers, has been trying to turn the Republican party into this, but with admittedly mixed success.

The Tea Party as a labor movement? Where did you get this idea?  They are a libertarian-type conservative movement. Their principal opposition was to deficit-spending to fund liberal projects.   My understanding is that they were mainly composed of older, retired workers or self-employed individuals, as opposed to working-class wage earners.

I hope you straightened out poor Warren on that one, mike. what's the chance of that? Wink
What did he straighten him out on, who he views/accepts as a being a worker and who he doesn't view/accept as being workers? Mike doesn't straighten anything out, Mike toils and tries to disrupt things as usual. I know Mike, I've played many challenging games of wit with old Mikey over the years.
(01-23-2017, 09:01 PM)Mikebert Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2017, 05:02 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2017, 04:41 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2017, 09:49 AM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2017, 12:40 PM)David Horn Wrote: [ -> ]@ Labor: Andrew Pudzer - who believes that minimum wage is unnecessary, and workers should be happy with the self-gratification of a job well done.  Not him, of course.

In a decent country somebody like this would have people with torches and pitchforks at his door.

I have a long list of those worthy of something better.  Tar and feathering and then riding out on a rail.

1. The Waltons.
2. All Hedge Fund managers.
3. Any CEO who does "financial engineering', outsourcing, hires H1B's and does a train your replacement program.
4. Any CEO who runs a skimming operation:  Banks, finance companies, title loans, etc.
5. Any economist who advocates skimming operations like Rogoff. Digital money is just plain stupid since it can be hacked , skimmed by Apple, Microsoft, etc., and denies privacy.
6. TBTF grifters.
What's your problem with the Walton's? Your problem with  rest is understandable.

I think he is referring to the Walmart Waltons, not the fictional TV family (which was my initial take).
I found that out. I didn't understand the problem he would have had with the TV Walton's other than them being rednecks.
(01-23-2017, 08:56 PM)Mikebert Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2017, 02:51 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2017, 11:37 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]This country needs a real labor movement. Not a stealth PAC for politicians, not a crypto-Marxist front group ... but a real grass roots group that is actually run by real workers and whose mission is good paying jobs, reasonable Ts and Cs between workers and corporations, etc ... all the good motherhood and apple pie stuff.

The Tea Party, which is composed of real workers, has been trying to turn the Republican party into this, but with admittedly mixed success.

The Tea Party as a labor movement? Where did you get this idea?  They are a libertarian-type conservative movement. Their principal opposition was to deficit-spending to fund liberal projects.   My understanding is that they were mainly composed of older, retired workers or self-employed individuals, as opposed to working-class wage earners.

The Tea Party has always been composed primarily of workers - people who earn their income through work.  That excludes people who are primarily investors and people who are primarily on welfare.

The term "labor" movement typically refers to organized labor - that is, people in the middle of the wage scale that organize to make gains at the cost of lower income and higher income workers.  Tea Party policies are broader than that.
The labor movement does not make gains at the cost of lower income workers or most higher income workers. They are organized to get their fair share of the income that they work for. Labor union decline has resulted in the obscene concentration of income for the wealthy CEOs and investors.

The Tea Party includes workers, who are more-likely to be small business owners or middle managers, but they are far better off than, let's say, Wall Street Occupiers. They are older, and are the same folks who have supported Reagan and Bush and some even go back to Joe McCarthy. Many of them are retired.

The Tea Party are a group that feels they are entitled to their tax breaks, and don't want to go back to paying more taxes to help poor people of color. They are just wrong, and they are ruining our country. Paying taxes helps themselves and all of us. They (and you Warren, with due respect) are deceived by trickle-down economics ideology. The feel entitled to have their ideology in power, and feel any government action is "over-reach."

This ideology is killing us. We can't depend on free enterprise to create a prosperous and just society. The bosses don't want that. They want more for themselves and less for everyone else, and they don't want a population capable of critical thinking. That's against their interests! That's why they are putting up that lady lunatic for Education secretary who wants to shut it all down.
Pages: 1 2 3