Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: A Libertarian's view of Trump's SCOTUS pick.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(02-03-2017, 12:24 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Enjoy your moment, Jordan. Cycles shift, and it may not last.

There is a story that there was once a great monarch who charged his wisest man to write him a sentence, to ever be in view, that would be true in all times and circumstances.  It would console him when he was sad, and chasten him when he was proud.  After some consulting amongst themselves, they presented him with a ring on which were inscribed the words, "This too shall pass."
From Randy Borntrager, People for the American Way:

*EMERGENCY SUPREME COURT CAMPAIGN*

Eric,

A New York Times analysis confirmed that Gorsuch is TO THE RIGHT of Justice Antonin Scalia ... it's also worth remembering just how much of an extremist Scalia was, in light of all the comparisons being made between Gorsuch and the late ultraconservative Supreme Court justice.

Scalia was perhaps the Court's most consistent vote against LGBTQ and women's equality, choice, voting rights, workers' rights, the environment, and more. He was in the majority for Citizens United and the other disastrous decisions that have acted as a big "for sale" sign on American democracy. Gorsuch would be just as extreme and then some.

It's no wonder that everyone from the Religious Right and big corporations to white nationalists and the rest of Donald Trump's radical base are absolutely THRILLED about this nominee.

In fact, Trump held an event today with a gushing crowd of right-wing movement who's whos in support of the Gorsuch nomination. NRA president Wayne LaPierre, who sat directly next to Trump, was joined by representatives of a host of extreme right-wing organizations including Grover Norquist of Americans for Tax Reform and leaders from Religious Right groups like Concerned Women for American, National Right to Life, and the Susan B. Anthony List, as well as corporate special interests and others.
(02-03-2017, 01:22 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-03-2017, 12:48 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]From People for the American Way:

If we give an inch, Trump and his allies WILL take a mile.

The Supreme Court fight is the front line of the fight to stop Trump's war on the Constitution.

A lot of people have been asking me about the campaign to keep Trump nominee Neil Gorsuch off of the Supreme Court noting their frustrations (and a little bit of despair) about some of the false narratives that have been circulating about this nominee … and about our chances of stopping him.

It’s time to address some of these concerns and dispel some myths.

Another Scalia is not OK. It would be bad. (Very, very bad.)

Just because he’s often been described as ‘Antonin Scalia with a smile,’ and people generally have nice things to say about his demeanor and his intellect, does not mean in any way that Judge Gorsuch is within the mainstream of legal thought. His judicial philosophy actually places him to the right of Scalia in key areas of the law, and no one should forget that Scalia himself was an extremist -- the original champion of a once-fringe judicial philosophy that made him the most reliable hard-right vote on the Court.

Just look at the most important issues that have gone in front of the Supreme Court in recent decades:

He was on the wrong side in Citizens United and the other decisions that effectively hung a “for sale” sign our democracy,
   He voted to block marriage equality and uphold laws criminalizing same-sex relationships,
   He repeatedly voted to chip away a women’s reproductive rights and voted for the Hobby Lobby ruling that said a corporation had “religious rights” that allowed it to discriminate against its women employees,
   He voted consistently to weaken civil rights, environmental protections, safeguards for public health, workers’ rights, voting rights (including gutting the Voting Rights Act), and so much more.

NPR’s Supreme Court and legal affairs correspondent Nina Totenberg rightly calls Gorsuch “a disciple of Scalia's crusade.”

“Scalia’s seat,” the 60-vote rule, and the “Nuclear Option”

Right off the bat, this is NOT “Scalia’s seat.” It’s The People’s seat.

In an op-ed titled “Make the Republicans Go Nuclear” in today’s New York Times, Senator Jeff Merkley (D-OR) writes, “Senate Republicans are in the middle of pulling off one of the great political heists in American history: the theft of a seat on the United States Supreme Court,” and adds, “This crime is going to do enormous damage to the integrity of the Supreme Court for decades to come. Every 5-4 decision of the court will have a cloud hanging over it.”

He continues:

“Categorical opposition to this nomination is not retribution for the treatment of Judge [Merrick] Garland. It is a refusal to be party to a tactic that will deeply hurt the Supreme Court and, consequently, the rule of law. Yes, the outcome may well be that Senate Republicans strike another blow against our institutions by eliminating the 60-vote rule. But let it be their choice. I am not prepared to be complicit in the undermining of our government.”

I’ll add one more thing to Senator Merkley’s great points -- and this is important: right now, Republicans do not have the votes to execute the Nuclear Option. At least four Republican senators have stated on the record that they are opposed to changing the Senate rules.

We’re marching. We’re protesting. Americans are in the streets! But if not for this very fight, then for what?

This president is at war with our Constitution and with fundamental American values. His bigoted attacks on Muslims, immigrants, women, and others, as well as his nomination of a cabinet full of billionaire extremists who represent the Radical Right and corporate special interests, have awoken an unprecedented grassroots movement -- far bigger than the Tea Party ever was.

All of this action is important! Exercising our free speech rights … showing the president, his allies in Congress, and the entire world that the right-wing Trump agenda is not the American Way and the People will rise against it… This truly is what democracy looks like.

But if this amazing energy is not harnessed and channeled into winning important fights in defense of our constitutional rights, the rule of law, and our foundational democratic institutions, then what is it all for?

This Supreme Court fight is the definitive “where the rubber meets the road” moment for the Resistance movement. Because if we roll over in this fight, then the Trump administration and its right-wing congressional majorities will surely roll over us. Trump will be emboldened and his policies -- and nominees -- will continue to get even more brazen and more extreme.

Think we won’t be able to make Senate Democrats stand strong? Think again.

Senate offices reportedly have been receiving 1.5 million calls a day this week from Americans concerned about various Trump nominees, his executive orders, and more. Senators are paying attention.

We already have an unprecedented eight senators who have announced their intentions to vote against this Supreme Court nominee. And that’s not out of retribution for the treatment of Merrick Garland -- that’s because they’ve looked at Neil Gorsuch’s record (he was one of the most right-wing potential nominees on Trump’s list of unacceptable candidates) and concluded that his confirmation would be bad for the American people.

Our goal remains shoring up every single Democratic senator and swaying a small handful of Republicans to defect from Mitch McConnell’s ranks. We CAN do it. We just need to be relentless. If not now, when?

It’s a time for the People to lead our leaders. That’s the fight we’re stepping up to lead, with your help and your committed support, and we can’t thank you enough for your part in it.

We’re depending on the generous donations of our members and supporters to carry out -- and win -- this absolutely necessary fight. Please pitch in what you can right now>>

THANK YOU for everything you do.

Sincerely,

Michael Keegan, President

One of the problems you Lefties have is you don't seem to know how to choose your battles. So you fight many simultaneously and win almost none. While a good portion of the Left are having a conniption fit about Gorsuch, Trump is busy decimating our National Security architecture plus numerous other highly destructive acts which are so heinous, even a good many Centrists and Rightists abhor them.

If we are to be Left, or even moderate, we must choose to stop Gorsuch now. Anyone not in this fight, is backing Trump and his racism and destruction of all the peoples' interests. Democrats must grow a spine, or go home!
(02-03-2017, 01:14 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-03-2017, 12:24 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Enjoy your moment, Jordan. Cycles shift, and it may not last.

There is a story that there was once a great monarch who charged his wisest man to write him a sentence, to ever be in view, that would be true in all times and circumstances.  It would console him when he was sad, and chasten him when he was proud.  After some consulting amongst themselves, they presented him with a ring on which were inscribed the words, "This too shall pass."

Yes indeed, but what happens is what flows through the people to happen. We will decide whether what passes is the right-wing corporate takeover by Drump, or the American republic and the livability of the world. What will pass away? It's our choice. You have made yours, SomeGuy. I have made mine. 4Ts are times of decision, baby!
Which side are you on, boys?

There are NO neutrals now. We stop Gorsuch, or we submit to the right-wing racist corporate takeover. There's no "other battle;" it's all one battle. The line is drawn, the curse is cast.
I'll bite, Eric.  What are YOU doing to "stop Gorsuch"?
The Democrats must stop Gorsuch, and any further nominees Drump appoints. No right-wingers allowed; never; not one inch. Nuclear option? Go ahead, make my day!

I'm sending emails to red state senators and signing petitions, Jordan. Maybe I'll wear a pink hat to the next march.
(02-03-2017, 02:24 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]The Democrats must stop Gorsuch, and any further nominees Drump appoints. No right-wingers allowed; never; not one inch. Nuclear option? Go ahead, make my day!

Let's see how that works out.

Quote:I'm sending emails to red state senators and signing petitions, Jordan. Maybe I'll wear a pink hat to the next march.

YEAH! THAT'LL TEACH 'EM!!  Rolleyes
(02-03-2017, 02:26 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-03-2017, 02:24 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]The Democrats must stop Gorsuch, and any further nominees Drump appoints. No right-wingers allowed; never; not one inch. Nuclear option? Go ahead, make my day!

Quote:I'm sending emails to red state senators and signing petitions, Jordan. Maybe I'll wear a pink hat to the next march.

I'm SURE it will, especially if the hat has pussy ears!
Quote:I'm SURE it will, especially if the hat has pussy ears!

I don't know if it will be enough, Eric.  After all, this is apparently war.  Better to go with the full pussy outfit.
(02-03-2017, 02:45 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I'm SURE it will, especially if the hat has pussy ears!

I don't know if it will be enough, Eric.  After all, this is apparently war.  Better to go with the full pussy outfit.

And I'd better carry a pitchfork with cat claws or something too. No guns for me, though. No violence for me.
(02-03-2017, 12:07 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-02-2017, 06:06 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-02-2017, 01:55 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]I have no issue with Gorsuch.

This was the first thing Trump did right.

I give credit where it is due.

IIRC, he'd be the first Xer on the court. Hopefully he'd be more inclined towards rationalism.

The last thing you can call Xers or nomads in general is "rational"

Coming from the guy that believes in astrology?  Big Grin
(02-03-2017, 02:26 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]

This man says Generation X is irrational and then decides to do the most ineffective thing possible. Big Grin
Galen is waging war on all American values in the name of "liberty"
(02-03-2017, 12:48 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]From People for the American Way:

The Supreme Court fight is the front line of the fight to stop Trump's war on the Constitution.

Appointing a strict constructionist and orginialist to the Supreme Court is some how waging war on the Constitution.  As if I needed more proof that the left has no sense of irony or humor. Smile
(02-03-2017, 04:38 PM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]

Appointing a strict constructionist and orginialist to the Supreme Court is some how waging war on the Constitution.  As if I needed more proof that the left has no sense of irony or humor. Smile

Saying this man is waging war on the arbitrary preferences of liberals doesn't have the same cachet.  Wink
The Trump and Republican and Galen definition of "liberty" and "originalism" is granting powerful rich people and corporations as well as fascists and racists complete "liberty" to pollute our water, force workers into deadly conditions, give us unsafe products, slow down or deny access to the internet, wage wars on presidential whims, make health care dependent on wealth alone, close up public schools, ruin our climate, take away voting rights, take away women's rights, allow right-wing terrorists to commit crimes, deny entrance to America because of religion, discriminate against gays in the name of "religious freedom," deny the rights of refugees, turn our elections over to Russia, allow spying of Americans, allow criminals and insane people access to machine guns, oh yeah, real "liberty," "the real original constitution..."

This country has chosen insanity over reason and injustice. The people will have to make a new decision, or the nation will cease to be America, and even cease to exist. It's time to decide. Choose Galen's way of banana republic and fascism, or choose liberals' way of freedom and justice for all. Your choice; our choice.
(02-03-2017, 01:36 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Which side are you on, boys?

There are NO neutrals now. We stop Gorsuch, or we submit to the right-wing racist corporate takeover. There's no "other battle;" it's all one battle. The line is drawn, the curse is cast.

A bit hyperbolic are we?  There's always a 3rd way like I garden as a hobby.  Grow in, turn on, opt out Big Grin

[Image: Cannabis_sativa2.jpg]
(02-03-2017, 05:53 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-03-2017, 01:36 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Which side are you on, boys?

A bit hyperbolic are we?  There's always a 3rd way like I garden as a hobby.  Grow in, turn on, opt out Big Grin

[Image: Cannabis_sativa2.jpg]

You got some nice buds there Rags do they give you munchies? Big Grin
(02-03-2017, 01:22 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]One of the problems you Lefties have is you don't seem to know how to choose your battles. So you fight many simultaneously and win almost none. While a good portion of the Left are having a conniption fit about Gorsuch, Trump is busy decimating our National Security architecture plus numerous other highly destructive acts which are so heinous, even a good many Centrists and Rightists abhor them.

People for the American Way, the group Eric quoted, would probably consider decimation of the national security architecture an additional benefit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5