Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: A Libertarian's view of Trump's SCOTUS pick.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(02-06-2017, 03:16 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:If you don't complain about Democrats if they don't filibuster Gorsuch, as Bernie wants them to do, then don't complain about Hillary or Warren. Democrats without backbone all, in that case, equally.

Eric, Eric, Eric,
I don't complain about Democrats for not standing up to Republicans, I complain about them for being Democrats.   Tongue

You're not Marypoza; yes I know.
(02-06-2017, 03:51 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:If you don't complain about Democrats if they don't filibuster Gorsuch, as Bernie wants them to do, then don't complain about Hillary or Warren. Democrats without backbone all, in that case, equally.

Eric, Eric, Eric,
I don't complain about Democrats for not standing up to Republicans, I complain about them for being Democrats.   Tongue

-- leave me outta this
(02-06-2017, 03:58 PM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]

Eric, Eric, Eric,

-- leave me outta this

OK. I thought you were in it already. I guess not. Sorry Smile

I know, you're not even a "guy" Wink
(02-06-2017, 04:01 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-06-2017, 03:58 PM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]

Eric, Eric, Eric,

-- leave me outta this

OK. I thought you were in it already. I guess not. Sorry Smile

I know, you're not even a "guy" Wink

-- not this time, l had to go back thru the posts to see what y'all were argueing about

& nope l'm not a guy Smile
Mary,

Out of curiosity, you're in Ohio, right?  Do you mind if I ask where?
(02-06-2017, 04:26 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Mary,

Cincinnati, why?
(02-06-2017, 04:42 PM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]

Cincinnati, why?

I'm in Columbus.  Was curious.
(02-06-2017, 05:04 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]

Cincinnati, why?

-- ah well hey there neighbor! Smile
(02-07-2017, 03:20 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2017, 10:35 AM)David Horn Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2017, 02:05 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2017, 01:30 AM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-02-2017, 06:06 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC, he'd be the first Xer on the court. Hopefully he'd be more inclined towards rationalism.

Also toward limited government and indiviidual liberty.  All good things.  Hopefully we get more Xers on the court soon.

Eric the Obtuse always has oppose individual liberty but he loves more government.  More Xers on the court should cause his head to explode.

General question: if you destroy all the hated institutions, who or what stands between you and the much more powerful private interests you so thoroughly trust?  Private power operates in its own best interest, and has never claimed otherwise.

Are you up for that?

He is, 'cuz his Linux start up is gonna rule the world. It's gonna wipe out all the MDCs (Mega Death Corporations). You just watch! The Bitcoin, off the grid, super Liberaltarian army of many with no leader will rise up and knock down The 'Stablishment!

They will try; meanwhile they have clever sloganeers, like Reagan, Trump and our own Galen and Warren Dew who deceive us into thinking that libertarian economics is "individual liberty." They are enslaving us with slogans of freedom. Freedom is Slavery. War is Peace. They don't bother with David's question.
(02-07-2017, 05:00 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2017, 02:05 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2017, 01:30 AM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]Also toward limited government and indiviidual liberty.  All good things.  Hopefully we get more Xers on the court soon.

Eric the Obtuse always has oppose individual liberty but he loves more government.  More Xers on the court should cause his head to explode.

General question: if you destroy all the hated institutions, who or what stands between you and the much more powerful private interests you so thoroughly trust?  Private power operates in its own best interest, and has never claimed otherwise.

Are you up for that?

He is, 'cuz his Linux start up is gonna rule the world. It's gonna wipe out all the MDCs (Mega Death Corporations). You just watch! The Bitcoin, off the grid, super Liberaltarian army of many with no leader will rise up and knock down The 'Stablishment!

They will try; meanwhile they have clever sloganeers, like Reagan, Trump and our own Galen and Warren Dew who deceive us into thinking that libertarian economics is "individual liberty." They are enslaving us with slogans of freedom. Freedom is Slavery. War is Peace. They don't bother with David's question.

-- that's bcuz David's question requires them to think
(02-07-2017, 09:10 PM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2017, 02:05 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]Eric the Obtuse always has oppose individual liberty but he loves more government.  More Xers on the court should cause his head to explode.

Are you up for that?

It's because David will ignore the answer.

If you're interested, I'm happy to answer it for you.
(02-08-2017, 02:54 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2017, 10:35 AM)David Horn Wrote: [ -> ]General question: if you destroy all the hated institutions, who or what stands between you and the much more powerful private interests you so thoroughly trust?  Private power operates in its own best interest, and has never claimed otherwise.

Are you up for that?

-- ok go 4 it
(02-06-2017, 05:04 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]

Cincinnati, why?

I thought you were in NoVa (Northern Virginia), in my neck of the woods.
Quote:I thought you were in NoVa (Northern Virginia), in my neck of the woods.

Nope.  My family is from California, I was born in Fairfax County Hospital, VA (my dad was working in Tyson's Corner), and from there I moved to:

Colorado Springs, CO
Leiderdorp, the Netherlands,
Oxford, UK
Paris, FR
Cobham, UK
Pleasanton, CA
Tustin Ranch, CA
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Boston, MA
Henderson, NV
Fort Myers, FL

at which point I turned 19 and left for the Army, where I was stationed in:

Fort Benning, GA
Fort Lewis, WA
Vilseck, DE
Fort Bragg, NC
Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan
Fort Bragg, NC

Then I got out, stayed in Chicago, IL briefly with my parents, drove my car across the SW to visit family in CA and drop it off with my brother in San Francisco, where I left it to go to NYC.  While in NYC the first time I lived in the UWS, Brooklyn, and the Bronx (after I had dropped out of college and gone to work as an exterminator).  The exterminator job let me transfer to Indianapolis to live with my parents, left there after about 18 months, went back to NYC to finish college, went to work on a dairy farm in Galax, VA, left that to stay with my parents in Manchester, NH, at which point I went to two coding bootcamps, one in Toronto, one in NYC, after which I bounced between NYC and Manchester (friends and parents) before getting a job in Columbus.  Which I do not intend to stay in for too much longer.

So your confusion is understandable.  I kinda get around.  Rolleyes
(02-09-2017, 12:30 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I thought you were in NoVa (Northern Virginia), in my neck of the woods.

Nope.  My family is from California, I was born in Fairfax County Hospital, VA (my dad was working in Tyson's Corner), and from there I moved to:

Colorado Springs, CO
Leiderdorp, the Netherlands,
Oxford, UK
Paris, FR
Cobham, UK
Pleasanton, CA
Tustin Ranch, CA
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Boston, MA
Henderson, NV
Fort Myers, FL

at which point I turned 19 and left for the Army, where I was stationed in:

Fort Benning, GA
Fort Lewis, WA
Vilseck, DE
Fort Bragg, NC
Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan
Fort Bragg, NC

Then I got out, stayed in Chicago, IL briefly with my parents, drove my car across the SW to visit family in CA and drop it off with my brother in San Francisco, where I left it to go to NYC.  While in NYC the first time I left in the UWS, Brooklyn, and the Bronx (after I had dropped out of college and gone to work as an exterminator).  The exterminator job let me transfer to Indianapolis to live with my parents, left there after about 18 months, went back to NYC to finish college, went to work on a dairy farm in Galax, VA, left that to stay with my parents in Manchester, NH, at which point I went to two coding bootcamps, one in Toronto, one in NYC, after which I bounced between NYC and Manchester (friends and parents) before getting a job in Columbus.  Which I do not intend to stay in for too much longer.

So your confusion is understandable.  I kinda get around.  Rolleyes

-- where do you plan on going after Cols?
Quote:where do you plan on going after Cols?

Depends where I get a job.  My parents are planning to move to wherever they can get my brother in San Francisco a job.  This was originally supposed to be Texas, but they've had to widen their search a bit and so it remains to be seen where they end up.  I'd like to live near them and my brother (the other one is is Manchester, UK, and is unlikely to come back since his daughter from his marriage lives near there) eventually, but I am waiting on the second round interview with Loon and may be moving out West (though spending most of my time in South America) if that works out.

*fingers crossed*
(02-04-2017, 10:35 AM)David Horn Wrote: [ -> ]General question: if you destroy all the hated institutions, who or what stands between you and the much more powerful private interests you so thoroughly trust?  Private power operates in its own best interest, and has never claimed otherwise.

Are you up for that?

Ignore?  No.  Disagree with?  Probably.  But there is a possibility that I'll just miss your answer.  I'm not on the site nearly as much as I was on the old forum.  But give it a try anyway.  Rolleyes
(02-09-2017, 12:51 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:where do you plan on going after Cols?

Depends where I get a job.  My parents are planning to move to wherever they can get my brother in San Francisco a job.  This was originally supposed to be Texas, but they've had to widen their search a bit and so it remains to be seen where they end up.  I'd like to live near them and my brother (the other one is is Manchester, UK, and is unlikely to come back since his daughter from his marriage lives near there) eventually, but I am waiting on the second round interview with Loon and may be moving out West (though spending most of my time in South America) if that works out.

*fingers crossed*

-- good luck to you then
(02-08-2017, 07:51 PM)Marypoza Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2017, 03:20 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]He is, 'cuz his Linux start up is gonna rule the world. It's gonna wipe out all the MDCs (Mega Death Corporations). You just watch! The Bitcoin, off the grid, super Liberaltarian army of many with no leader will rise up and knock down The 'Stablishment!

-- ok go 4 it

Big business is less of a threat than big government because corporations aren't, generally, monopolies.  That means if I don't like a business I'm dealing with, I can quit doing business with them and go to a competitor instead.  The government can come after me with a gun and force me to "do business" with them, a business cannot.

Now, you may point out that big business often has little competition.  But, let's face it, that's often because of collusion with government.  Big pharma can charge ridiculous prices because the government prohibits reimportation, that would force their prices down through competition.  Big agriculture can sell mass produced junk masquerading as food because the government subsidizes them and regulates the market in a way to promote the products with the biggest profit margins at their behest.  Big banking survives because of government bailouts.

Get rid of big government, and we could get more reasonable drug prices, real food, and banks which do a good job instead of banks that are just "too big to fail".
(02-13-2017, 07:48 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: [ -> ]Big pharma can charge ridiculous prices because the government prohibits reimportation, that would force their prices down through competition. 

If government was not involved in drug pricing they couldn't prohibit reimportation.  But if government were not involved in drug pricing this wouldn't work, because the drug prices would have the same high prices in the other countries as here.  For example, if you buy a branded Pfizer drug in Canada you will get the exactly same product as we sell in the US.  The prices would be exactly the same except the Canadian government makes us charge them a lower price than the US government does.  The US government permits us to gouge Americans because you support that by voting Republican (when Republicans designed the Medicare Part D, they stipulated that the government could not bargain for lower prices).

When drugs go off patent and become generic competition does take hold.  But even then prices sometime soar, as was the case recently with this guy who acquired a company and hiked the price enormously.  The problem is as follows.  A lot of drugs (e.g. cancer drugs) are only taken by a relatively small number of people for a limited period of time.  Imagine a drug for a common cancer that 1% of the population will get sometime in their lifetime.  THat would be 3.3 million people.  Assume almost all of there people contract this cancer in a 30 year age range, so than in a given year 110,000 get this disease.  And suppose the standard treatment is 3 months of this generic drug.  That means at any given time about 28000 are getting this drug.  Suppose the dose is 50 mg a day.  This means US sales of the drug are 14 kg per day or about five tons per year.  Say the drug costs $1000/kg to make.  The makes it a $5 million product. Add a 30% margin and you have 1.5 million.  If we could get a third of that market by entering that would be half a million.  And yet we would have to invest maybe 1-2 million of resources to bring it in.  Ain't worth it, so we pass.  And that's why even old, well-established drugs can soar in price.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5