Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: What Republicans do
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Republicans just love throwing people in jail. It's what they do.

What Republicans do, and what Someguy and Kinser think is "intelligent"

from Letamericavote.org

There’s a lot happening in Washington, DC right now. It is nearly impossible to keep track of everything extremists are pushing through and I wanted to make sure you didn’t miss this:

"House Republicans Just Voted to Eliminate the Only Federal Agency that Makes Sure Voting Machines Can't be Hacked."
-- The Nation, 2/7/2017

These extremists insist on placing more and more restrictions on voting rights in America. They claim it's to protect voting.

If their concerns about voter fraud are genuine, they shouldn’t be eliminating the only Federal Agency that protects voting machines from hacking.

Add your name to mine → Tell members of Congress we can’t make it easier to hack elections.

The Election Assistance Commission has great importance. It is the only federal agency that makes sure voting machines are hack-proof. It helps states conduct elections and improves election administration.

So really, these extremists insist on restricting access to the voting booth -- for everyone but hackers.

This could be up for a vote on the floor of the House soon. Before it does, let members of Congress know that you are AGAINST the elimination of the Election Assistance Commission.

Thanks.

Jason
(02-27-2017, 12:43 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2017, 12:00 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]
Black aura Wrote:Best Answer:  Black is a color of protection. It is a color which can shield an individual from outside energies. When seen in the aura, it can reflect that the person is protecting himself or herself. It can also indicate that person has secrets. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as it is not taken to extremes. Black can also indicate that a new understanding of burdens and sacrifices is going to manifest.

Black can also indicate imbalances. Physical imbalances often show up as black or darkened areas in the aura around the physical body. the location provides clues to this. In the outer edges of the aura, black can indicate holes in the auric field. I have seen this in the auras of those who were victims of child abuse and those who are or were strong substance abusers ( alcohol, drugs, tobacco etc.).
Hahahahahaha.  Rags loves tobacco. Big Grin

Even I have a cache of fireworks. In case I feel the need to go Black.

Oscar  <-  Yes, that's my favorite Sesame Street character. Cool

1. Can you manufacture your own fireworks.  Note, knowledge of chemistry helps.
2. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, what's your other aura color?  Inquiring minds want to know.
XYMOX 84 has some company. A conservative who has had it with his Party.

The Party of Galen, Kinser, Bronsin, Warren Dew, Classic Xer..... has gone crazy!
(03-11-2017, 06:48 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]XYMOX 84 has some company. A conservative who has had it with his Party.

The Party of Galen, Kinser, Bronsin, Warren Dew, Classic Xer..... has gone crazy!

Not really my political party but still better than the Dims are ever going to be.
[Image: 17156057_10210959934067272_8837029628698...e=59659DD4]
Amazon launched a fake radio station to promote ‘The Man in the High Castle.’ Angry Trump supporters thought it was real.

When someone says "Nazis are bad" and your first instinct is to scream "No I'm not!" it might be time for some soul searching.
I found neither of those quotes objectionable.  The "civilization" one was clumsily worded, but if you're talking about modern industrial, post-Enlightenment civilization it is completely correct.
I ran into this Reddit post that I thought was relevant:

Quote:I spent the latter half of my childhood in Crawford County, Iowa - part of his district, and even handed out signage for him at the behest of a friend's family who had taken me in for a little while. That was probably his first reelection campaign, but I don't really remember.

This was all a while ago, and I haven't lived there since around that time, but it needs to be said that the Iowa that I am familiar with has a massive racism problem. This problem, at least at the time I was living there, was primarily directed at Mexican immigrants that flooded the area in the mid to late 90's to work at the many meat packing plants in the area.

Many of the "good people" I know from there are warm and generous with each other but still casually drop racial slurs and fail to see the problem with it, and refer to anyone who isn't white as if they might as well be a different species entirely.

I've just started John Darnielle's new book Universal Harvester, which is set in late 90's Iowa, and it sort of gave me an epiphany. The place isn't just rural and insular, but a lot of rural Iowa small talk and culture is based upon tracing genealogies back to each little parcel of land. The Iowans I know love nothing more than to talk about who used to do what, where they are now, who sold their farm to who. The idea of new genealogies mixing with the old; people they can't trace and places they can't find on a map - this is antithetical to the way some of them tether themselves to their world.

I don't agree with them, basically on any level, but it doesn't surprise me that King gets their votes, or that this racism has not gone away in the past 20 years despite immigrant communities being more established. The world keeps getting bigger, more mixed up and more connected, but if given half a chance I know a lot of Iowans who would reset the clock back to 1992 and merrily sip their gas station coffee while talking about their neighbor's uncle who moved in with his girlfriend in the next town over. That's all the world some people want to know.
The bolded part struck me because it reminds me so much of where I grew up in western Minnesota.
(03-13-2017, 07:03 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]I found neither of those quotes objectionable.  The "civilization" one was clumsily worded, but if you're talking about modern industrial, post-Enlightenment civilization it is completely correct.

This is a guy who has a Confederate battle flag on his desk, he knew EXACTLY what he meant.
Is the world getting bigger, figuratively speaking?  If transportation and communication are getting faster/cheaper, and people are moving more, wouldn't it be more apt to say (as most people do) that the world is "getting smaller"?

Also, I know you denied it in the other thread, but the bit about rural Minnesota sounds once again like somebody wanting to get back at his peers from high school by helping tear down their world around them.  Not a classy move.  Wink
(03-13-2017, 07:21 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2017, 07:03 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]I found neither of those quotes objectionable.  The "civilization" one was clumsily worded, but if you're talking about modern industrial, post-Enlightenment civilization it is completely correct.

This is a guy who has a Confederate battle flag on his desk, he knew EXACTLY what he meant.

That's nice.  What about those quotes do you find objectionable, specifically?
(03-13-2017, 07:23 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Is the world getting bigger, figuratively speaking?  If transportation and communication are getting faster/cheaper, and people are moving more, wouldn't it be more apt to say (as most people do) that the world is "getting smaller"?

Also, I know you denied it in the other thread, but the bit about rural Minnesota sounds once again like somebody wanting to get back at his peers from high school by helping tear down their world around them.  Not a classy move.  Wink

No, just recognizing the flaws. I'm the kind of person who can wax nostalgically about the good things about growing up in a rural area without being in denial about the bad things.
(03-13-2017, 07:26 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2017, 07:21 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]

That's nice.  What about those quotes do you find objectionable, specifically?

He didn't say anything about white people contributing specifically to Western Civilization, he just said "civilization". How the FUCK is that not racist?
Quote:He didn't say anything about white people contributing specifically to Western Civilization, he just said "civilization". How the FUCK is that not racist?

I suppose that would depend on how you rate the accomplishments of modernity versus the previous few thousand years.  Since you are a progressive and not some kinda, I dunno, reactionary, seems like it should be about right.
(03-11-2017, 06:54 AM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2017, 06:48 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]XYMOX 84 has some company. A conservative who has had it with his Party.

Not really my political party but still better than the Dims are ever going to be.
I've never considered/viewed the Republican party as being my party either. The Dims, libtards, clueless, idiots or whatever term we choose to call them or describe them don't seem to be able to grasp what it is that unites us. To me, the Democratic party is pretty much worthless.
Quote:King, meanwhile, stood by his remarks.

“I meant exactly what I said,” King said on CNN’s “New Day.”

The eight-term Republican lawmaker said the U.S. and Western European countries “need to get our birth rates up” to avoid being “entirely transformed.”

He tied his argument to illegal immigration, saying that those who come to the country illegally refuse to “assimilate into American culture.”

“I’d like to see an America that’s just so homogenous that we look a lot the same, from that perspective,” King said.

“This is an effort on the left, I think, to break down the American civilization, the American culture, and turn it into something entirely different. I’m a champion for Western civilization and, yes, our English language is a big part of it. It’s a carrier of freedom.”

King’s remarks were praised by white nationalist leaders such as Richard Spencer and featured on racist websites.
“Just in case you were thinking about moving, sanity reigns supreme in Iowa’s 4th congressional district,” tweeted David Duke, a former leader of the Ku Klux Klan.

King is among the most strident immigration hard-liners in Congress and has stirred controversy with racially charged remarks in the past.

During the Republican National Convention last summer, King said on MSNBC that Western civilization had contributed more to society than any other group of people.

“I’d ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you’re talking about? Where did any other sub-group of people contribute more to civilization?” King asked.

When King was asked by MSNBC anchor Chris Hayes whether he was referring to “white people,” he responded that he was talking about “Western civilization itself.”

“It’s rooted in Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the United States of America and every place where the footprint of Christianity settled the world,” King said. “That’s all of Western civilization.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/323708...al-remarks
I wonder if Classic Xer agrees with this view by Steve King of "what it is that unites us"

King seems like a ripe target if there's a Democratic wave in 2018.
IRS strips tax-exempt status from Richard Spencer's white nationalist nonprofit

Whoopsie!  Big Grin

Something tells me the IRS will be one of those agencies judged to be "inefficient and unnecessary" and thus merged with a more useful and productive agency, like the Department of Free Hand Outs to Billionaires...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14