Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: What Republicans do
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(03-15-2017, 08:56 AM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2017, 07:17 AM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2017, 05:52 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]But really, how is it working out for you?  Tongue

I think you know the answer to that question. Tongue

Didn't want to rub it in, but I mean, you shouldn't throw those kind of stones...

"Going to school" alone is not the panacea it once was.

And that's before we get into the fact that there are just some people that the academic environment doesn't work for.  Thankfully my kid found a passion in tile setting and we've got him set up with an apprenticeship.  Unlike some people on this board who will remain nameless instead of paying to be taught, he gets paid to be taught.  Of course he also will get all the shit jobs for about five years but at the end he can go and work for any construction firm, or start his own.

I think he wants to do the latter.
(03-14-2017, 05:48 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Being willing to move to a city for work and get retraining and/or higher education

How is that working out for you so far?  Tongue

I really never got the "blue collar=unskilled" meme.  Some of them?  Sure.  But for plenty of others, those manual trades (formal or not) take at least as much skill as the average BA/BS holding office plankton or barista.

I'd guess that many kids from blue-collar households whose parents want their smart kids to go to school to have an opportunity at a white-collar career find that the white-collar world isn't what it looks like from the outside -- and then decide to rejoin the world of the skilled trades. The pay is better, and the chance of career advancement based upon proficiency is higher where there are no low glass ceilings.

A college degree for a shop steward is not a waste.  Having a college degree and working as a barista? There had better be something going along with the job. If one lives a spartan-enough life one might get to do some travel to see the world because the throw-away jobs are easy to get.

Were I to give advice to a young adult on what to do with the prospect of cr@ppy jobs with low pay -- recognize the employer and location as no less expendable as the employer sees you. Don't buy more than you can keep in your suitcase unless it is old furniture that you bought cheaply at Goodwill or Salvation Army and can donate as someone else;s bargain while you buy much the same at a Goodwill or Salvation Army in the next city.  Collect memories while young; those are precious and they will stick, unlike the schlock that you can buy easily.  Make a commitment only when you see signs that you might want to stick around.

The truth is that few people have the maturity to manage anything before age 30. So you don't mature economically until you are 30 or so. Unless you have a congenital heart defect or other life-shortening defect (like a cancer gene) you will have plenty of time to enjoy the questionable delights of 'Affluenza'.
Conservatives suddenly love big government — when it comes to punishing blue cities for passing progressive local laws

All the people on the Right who say that they are libertarian and the Left is authoritarian are either dupes or liars.
(03-23-2017, 06:56 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]Conservatives suddenly love big government — when it comes to punishing blue cities for passing progressive local laws

All the people on the Right who say that they are libertarian and the Left is authoritarian are either dupes or liars.

LOL Salon Rolleyes

They are taking out of context a speech by a governor to a think tank group.  Believe it or not State Laws already usually pre-empt city ordinances.
(03-23-2017, 06:56 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]Conservatives suddenly love big government — when it comes to punishing blue cities for passing progressive local laws

Salon as a news source is a joke and a bad one at that.

First order of business is to get the feds out of everyone's business.  Once the feds are pumping money into state governments to buy their compliance then it should be simpler to get the state governments down to size.
Keep on spinning, guys. Rolleyes
(03-24-2017, 06:59 AM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]Keep on spinning, guys. Rolleyes

It isn't spin, State laws already preempt local ordinances--ask any lawyer or judge (psst even the Dim-ocrat ones will agree on that). Salon is fake news just like CNN and MSDNC.
(03-24-2017, 12:40 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: [ -> ]

It isn't spin, State laws already preempt local ordinances--ask any lawyer or judge (psst even the Dim-ocrat ones will agree on that). Salon is fake news just like CNN and MSDNC.

And you kinser are a fake (insert unreformed ideology here)
Jeremy Scahill exposes the Drump Team for what it is.

kinser voted and campaigned for theocracy! Now THAT's some serious "woo" there!
(03-24-2017, 12:44 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]

And you kinser are a fake (insert unreformed ideology here)

Or am I?  In my forum title I'm inviting everyone to insert whatever ideology they think I hold into that space.
I read the article and, generally speaking, have to agree with Galen and 'Uncle Tom'.
(03-24-2017, 02:03 PM)Snowflake Wrote: [ -> ]I read the article and, generally speaking, have to agree with Galen and 'Uncle Tom'.

Which article was that, Mr. Snowflake?
(03-24-2017, 03:16 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-24-2017, 02:03 PM)Snowflake Wrote: [ -> ]I read the article and, generally speaking, have to agree with Galen and 'Uncle Tom'.

Um, yeah. 

The one that the racist dude posted.
(03-24-2017, 03:56 PM)Snowflake Wrote: [ -> ]

Um, yeah. 

The one about Republican state government not respecting progressive laws passed by cities, I take it. It would seem hard for Salon to "fake" that; it's pretty straightforward regarding the facts.
(03-24-2017, 06:36 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-24-2017, 03:56 PM)Snowflake Wrote: [ -> ]

Um, yeah. 

The one about Republican state government not respecting progressive laws passed by cities, I take it. It would seem hard for Salon to "fake" that; it's pretty straightforward regarding the facts.

Not quite Eric.  It was a Governor saying the states should pass laws to preempt city ordinances.  While that did happen, the editorial spin from Salon is the clearly fake part.  Citing Salon is right up there with citing the National Enquirer except the latter has a much better reputation.

No shit, the article is pointing out the hypocrisy of Republicans, US states being unitary governments that can preempt local laws doesn't make the Republicans any less hypocritical. Indeed, it goes to show even more that Republicans are authoritarians who are willing to crush local opposition who then hypocritically use Libertarian rhetoric.
(03-25-2017, 02:35 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]

No shit, the article is pointing out the hypocrisy of Republicans, US states being unitary governments that can preempt local laws doesn't make the Republicans any less hypocritical. Indeed, it goes to show even more that Republicans are authoritarians who are willing to crush local opposition who then hypocritically use Libertarian rhetoric.

One problem with that theory.  The vast majority of Republicans and Conservatives more generally are not libertarians or even moved by libertarian rhetoric.  That is only one subset of the over all movement. In fact the governor in question is a known social conservative.  Social conservatives are an other subset of the over all movement, btw.  So you've now failed twice.  First for citing Salon as if it were credible and second for bringing up libertarianism against someone who isn't even a libertarian.
(03-25-2017, 02:47 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-25-2017, 02:35 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]

One problem with that theory.  The vast majority of Republicans and Conservatives more generally are not libertarians or even moved by libertarian rhetoric.  That is only one subset of the over all movement. In fact the governor in question is a known social conservative.  Social conservatives are an other subset of the over all movement, btw.  So you've now failed twice.  First for citing Salon as if it were credible and second for bringing up libertarianism against someone who isn't even a libertarian.

Even the social conservatives claim to be for "small government" when it's convenient, they're hypocrites. There are a ton of those types up here on the plains and they are annoying.
I think Odin you'll be hard pressed to find any group of humans lacking in hypocrisy. Generally speaking those with any authority whatsoever have the most of that trait. Which is why being called a hypocrite is perhaps the weakest insult imaginable.
(03-25-2017, 03:08 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: [ -> ]I think Odin you'll be hard pressed to find any group of humans lacking in hypocrisy.  Generally speaking those with any authority whatsoever have the most of that trait.  Which is why being called a hypocrite is perhaps the weakest insult imaginable.

Yeah, like Trump claiming the USA is just as bad as Putin, who kills his political critics.

But I don't know of a USA president who did that, except maybe when Nixon went after the Black Panthers.

I hope Trump will not be emulating his friend Putin in that department. Or maybe Deterte?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14