Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: What Republicans do
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said he doesn’t want to work with Democrats on health care legislation.

“I don’t want that to happen,” Ryan said in an interview with CBS News’ Norah O’Donnell that will air Thursday morning. “You know why? I want a patient-centered system. I don’t want government running health care. The government shouldn’t tell you what you must do with your life, with your health care. We should give people choices.”

Ryan’s comments are not simply a departure from standard bipartisan bromides. They also fly in the face of comments from President Donald Trump in recent days indicating that he would be open to working with Democrats in the wake of the humiliating withdrawal of GOP health care legislation last week before a vote in the House of Representatives.

“I know that we’re all going to make a deal on health care, that’s such an easy one,” Trump told a group of senators on Tuesday night. The Trump administration also has floated the idea of working with Democrats on an infrastructure bill.

Democrats aren’t leaping at the opportunity to help a president with historically low approval ratings, FBI and congressional investigations into his associates’ connections to Russia, and a seemingly thin understanding of policies he’s looking to negotiate.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) told Politico on Tuesday that Trump “moved so far over to the right that it’s virtually impossible to work with him.”

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus said they’d be open to negotiating with Trump, but not unless House Democratic leaders go along. Responding to a report that lobbyists were targeting Congressional Black Caucus members to win votes on tax reform and infrastructure, Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.) said, “Who in the world is going to announce, ‘Oh we’re going to try to siphon off 14-15 Democrats. I mean that is preschool politics.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/paul...231?my&

Just think of how efficient American democracy would be if the Republicans could completely ignore Democrats. Why, it would be as efficient as Russian politics.

Of course it wouldn't be democratic, either.
MONTGOMERY, AL (WBRC) -

Alabama's 53rd governor, Robert Julian Bentley, has resigned from office amidst allegations he covered up an affair with an aide and has plead guilty to misdemeanor charges in relation to those allegations.

Bentley was booked into the Montgomery County jail after 4 p.m. on two charges: Failing to File a Major Contribution Report and Knowingly Converting Campaign Contributions to Personal Use.

When he appeared in a courtroom just before 5 p.m., the plea agreement was revealed. The former governor will be required to pay $2,000 in fines plus court costs, reimburse his campaign fund more than $8,000 one week from today (April 17), and must surrender all campaign funds to the state of Alabama, an amount said to be just less than $37,000.

In addition, he must serve 100 hours of volunteer service as a doctor, will never again be able to run for office in the state, and will waive his state retirement benefits.

Bentley pleaded guilty to the two charges and the judge sentenced him to two 30 day sentences which would run concurrently before suspending the sentence. This means Bentley will serve no time in jail.

Bentley spoke to media at the Old House Chamber in Montgomery a little after 5 p.m. Monday. He read a prepared statement where he apologized to the people of the state and said it was time for him to step down and look for other ways to serve the people of the state.

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/35112124/be...sdemeanors
[Image: 17861666_10211263860905253_3353832135774...e=5998D88C]
Pretty good rebuttal to the idea that the 2 major parties are not different.
http://politicsthatwork.com/voting-record/
http://www.cbpp.org/research/the-ryan-bu...priorities

Yeah, thanks Ryan.  You're a jackass.
(05-22-2017, 08:12 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.cbpp.org/research/the-ryan-bu...priorities

Yeah, thanks Ryan.  You're a jackass.

"BUT, BUT, CHARITY!!!"

-the fuckwads

Angry
That sort of economy is a wonderful reason -- to emigrate. If profit for someone else is the sole reason for anyone's existence -- we all know how that went.

It's too bad that that attitude toward humanity did not die when Lee surrendered at Appomattox.
Although both parties have some good guys, this graph makes clear which Party holds the title of most corrupt. And Trump's record hasn't been compiled yet.

[Image: 18582124_10211595210988798_6570559000571...e=599E4F81]
(05-23-2017, 01:01 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]That sort of economy is a wonderful reason -- to emigrate. If profit for someone else is the sole reason for anyone's existence -- we all know how that went.

It's too bad that that attitude toward humanity did not die when Lee surrendered at Appomattox.

Yes, pretty much.  Toll booth economies, truly suck.
(05-23-2017, 04:59 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Although both parties have some good guys, this graph makes clear which Party holds the title of most corrupt. And Trump's record hasn't been compiled yet.

Although one must recognize that Ford and the elder Bush weren't too bad. Nixon was simply dirty politics.

But do take a look at the 8-0-0-0 for Obama.
(05-23-2017, 04:59 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Although both parties have some good guys, this graph makes clear which Party holds the title of most corrupt. And Trump's record hasn't been compiled yet.

Do you think Trump could stay in office long enough to catch Nixon?

Sadly, the brainwashed idiots will simply see this as proof of "liberal media bias" and "the swamp". Look how much they are desperately pushing the "Dems are pedophiles and murderers" BS with Pizzagate and the Seth Rich idiocy.
(05-24-2017, 12:33 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]

Do you think Trump could stay in office long enough to catch Nixon?

He may already be there, but we just don't know it yet. Big Grin
One of the hallmarks of a relatively clean Republican administration, one like that of George H W Bush, will be that that Administration will have no recourse but to prosecute the malfeasance of the Trump administration. Or think about a tough-on-crime Democrat... like Obama!
(05-24-2017, 12:32 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]One of the hallmarks of a relatively clean Republican administration, one like that of George H W Bush, will be that that Administration will have no recourse but to prosecute the malfeasance of the Trump administration. Or think about a tough-on-crime Democrat... like Obama!

That's an entirely reasonable statement from the time of Bush 41 and prior.  I suspect there are still some relatively clean Republicans out there.  Thing is, things have gone quite a bit more partisan since Bush 41.  I haven't got a sound feeling that a relatively clean Republican can get high enough up their power structure to become president.
And a high enough horoscope score! Carly Fiorina barely beats Trump's score, but I'm not sure how clean she is, or whether she'll ever be in a position to run successfully. And even if clean, she's just as reactionary, and very militarist.

Kasich, clean and ethical as he seems to be, was just not "in the stars" to ever win. Nor in favor with the Party as it is today.
[Image: 18057862_1806721659338804_87950593630854...e=599B885F]
(05-25-2017, 03:37 PM)Eric the Obtuse Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 18057862_1806721659338804_87950593630854...e=599B885F]

As I have explained in the past the Social Security Trust Fund consists of non-negotiable Treasury bonds which are now called "special issues" treasury debt.  In other words the trust fund is one big IOU and the money has already been spent.  This is just one aspect of what Gary North calls the Great Default which means the promises will not be kept.

As I recall Hillary did vote in favor of the current series of wars as a senator and wanted to restart the Cold War during her campaign for president.  It isn't just Republican but also a large number of Dims that are in favor of war.
(05-26-2017, 02:58 PM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]As I have explained in the past the Social Security Trust Fund consists of non-negotiable Treasury bonds which are now called "special issues" treasury debt.  In other words the trust fund is one big IOU and the money has already been spent.  This is just one aspect of what Gary North calls the Great Default which means the promises will not be kept.

The SS Trust Fund is actually an accounting tool that tracks the advanced payments made by future retirees, but it still carries the full faith and credit of all US debt.  The only way that changes: the GOP fiscal zealots manage to stop an increase in the debt ceiling.  Otherwise, no.

Remember, we've carried a lot higher debt relative to the size of our economy in the past, but was temporary.  Note:  all the debt from WWII is still on the books.

[Image: Federal_Debt_Held_by_the_Public_1790-2013.png]
(05-26-2017, 02:58 PM)Galen Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-25-2017, 03:37 PM)Eric the Obtuse Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 18057862_1806721659338804_87950593630854...e=599B885F]

As I have explained in the past the Social Security Trust Fund consists of non-negotiable Treasury bonds which are now called "special issues" treasury debt.  In other words the trust fund is one big IOU and the money has already been spent.  This is just one aspect of what Gary North calls the Great Default which means the promises will not be kept.

Which means, if not kept, that the above image was correct.

Quote:As I recall Hillary did vote in favor of the current series of wars as a senator and wanted to restart the Cold War during her campaign for president.  It isn't just Republican but also a large number of Dims that are in favor of war.

She was more hawkish than Obama, but as a diplomat she would have been able to keep the new Cold War from getting hot, and fwiw promised to do that. In case you haven't noticed, even our new oil baron Sec. of State has said that relations with Russia are at a low point, even despite the alleged collusion with Trump during the campaign and transition.

The most warlike neo-con senators currently seem to be McCain and his buddy Graham, both Republicans. I'm not sure any current Democrats rise to that level of war proponents.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14