Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are getting old.
(10-10-2016, 06:15 PM)Mikebert Wrote:
(10-10-2016, 03:05 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: I'm not convinced that the differentiation between Civics and Adaptives occurs before the Crisis War.  I thought my kids, born in 2008, 2010, and 2012, seemed like adaptives because they were shy with strangers, but that may be true for all kids of that age.

If I understand John's concept correctly the imprinting happens at the time of the crisis was, so this belief would be consistent with his crisis war concept.

A point on which his theory and yours agree, no?
(10-10-2016, 10:45 PM)taramarie Wrote: Odin does but many have said I do not show any xer traits and given that i also am a foreign millie who was raised by a boomer who was ahead of her time in raising me and the fact i do not relate to xers it would be a stretch to say i have xer edginess.

Uh, in a post written by Tara in a thread far far away, in response to Eric , well not so long ago we have :

Back-peddle alert

That, my dear Tara is pretty close to some X'er snark. Cool   You see, past is prologue.  When you're an old lass, you'll probably be handing some Nomad grand kiddies some brewskies and joints. Grandpa was raised by a Lost and a Missionary.

PS

Another conservative minded Boomer would be awesome!
---Value Added Cool
(10-10-2016, 11:55 PM)taramarie Wrote: I actually have been watching too much tyt newsfeed and the xer rubbed off onto me. That is what he says. What is a brewskie? I am asthmatic so i do not smoke and i do not condone smoking either. I also do not intend on breeding.

1.  Brewskie is beer
2. As for joints, yeah, I see your point.  I've always preferred my weed in eaten form.  Allergies make smoking stuff a no-go here as well.
3. Breeding.  Yeah, that takes future Nomads on your part out of the equation.
---Value Added Cool
(10-10-2016, 07:07 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-10-2016, 06:51 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: mmmm....    Now this thread has a Prince of Cats moment.   Male Boomers at each others' throats. Cool

LMAO! Big Grin

Hey, it's our thread!

Also, could  someone help a newbie out and tell me how old Rag and X_4 are?
(10-11-2016, 12:29 AM)taramarie Wrote: I believe they are close age-wise to each other. Rags was born 63 ....i think. He will correct me if i am wrong. But he is an early xer and i believe x_4 is an early xer too. I take it you are a late boom like my mother?

Close, it's 1962 as in "Ragnarök_62"
XY_4 , you're correct, he's a 1963'er.
---Value Added Cool
(10-10-2016, 06:37 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Yup.  I love to deposit tobacco related debris by those "Tobacco Free Campus" signs at local schools. Big Grin  I deliberately gather cigarette butts, dip cans, and cigarette wrappers, and cigar butts and toss them beside those stupid signs. Cool

This is childish behavior and not something to be proud of.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(10-10-2016, 10:45 PM)taramarie Wrote: Odin does but many have said I do not show any xer traits and given that i also am a foreign millie who was raised by a boomer who was ahead of her time in raising me and the fact i do not relate to xers it would be a stretch to say i have xer edginess.

Eric isn't wrong at the "angry" part for me, my short temper and tendency to be self-righteous are probably my biggest personality flaws.
(10-11-2016, 07:12 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-11-2016, 07:05 AM)Odin Wrote:

Eric isn't wrong at the "angry" part for me, my short temper and tendency to be self-righteous are probably my biggest personality flaws.

Yeah you are probably right but then again some people are fucking annoying. That is why I prefer my cats. Feed me, cuddle me then leave me the fuck alone. Cats are simple creatures. Sleepy  But I was addressing the xer traits. I mean, I do not see many at all in you but in comparison to me by how you were raised compared to how I was raised is quite different. Under different laws too and I was raised under tighter protective laws for children by comparison. So all that has to be taken into consideration. By the time I came into this world the xer way of raising kids just was not done nor acceptable. I felt none of it.

Yeah, I was raised as a "latch-key kid" in a rural area, my parents often worked late so on many days I came home from school alone and had to take responsibility to do my homework. Or if my mom worked an evening shift (she was the manager of a bar) she would go to work at 6pm and not be home until after 2am.
(10-11-2016, 12:29 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-11-2016, 12:20 AM)Warren Dew Wrote: Also, could  someone help a newbie out and tell me how old Rag and X_4 are?
I believe they are close age-wise to each other. Rags was born 63 ....i think. He will correct me if i am wrong. But he is an early xer and i believe x_4 is an early xer too. I take it you are a late boom like my mother?
Thanks.  I was born in 1960, so late boom by S&H and the generally accepted definition, although I think John's theory has the cutoff in 1959.  I definitely seem to have more boom characteristics - arrogant, no sense of humor, all that stuff.
(10-11-2016, 07:01 AM)Odin Wrote: This is childish behavior and not something to be proud of.

Tara Wrote:I have to agree with you there. I do not get that kid of attitude of "sticking it to the man." Going against the law etc. If it says tobacco free do the respectable thing and smoke elsewhere. Some of us are asthmatic and should not be set off because of behaviour like that. I also cannot stand the smell of it. It is just inconsiderate but we are seeing an unsettling amount of inconsiderate behaviour lately. I hope this is not going to become the standard way of living

I was raised and encouraged to question authority! Tongue   Besides the stupid sign said tobacco, not smoking.
Snus and chaw do not affect asthma.  And also, the stupid sign is outside of all places.  That sign is nothing but a patronizing piece of shit that deserves to be dissed.   Here's a childhood song that explains it.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
---Value Added Cool
(10-11-2016, 05:14 PM)taramarie Wrote: It bloody well interferes with my asthma.

So folks who smoke downtown also do this?

You are in your 50s and doing this? Rather sad.

Yes. Once a rebel, always a rebel.  It's the principle of the matter.  People should never, ever be patronized with stupid signs like that. I was raised to stand up for whatever principles I deem important. I don't think you'll ever understand that.  After all, there's a lot of stuff "the man" does that are wrong.  'Nam was wrong, Watergate was wrong, the war on drugs is wrong, all of our wars of choice are wrong. People should never accept arrogant,stupid,selfish stuff "the man" does, ever!
---Value Added Cool
(10-11-2016, 05:34 PM)taramarie Wrote: Those are noble things to question HOWEVER there is a difference between an intelligent conversation regarding the policies that work and do not work and how to properly fix those errors and a childish 50 something picking up cigarettes and dumping them in front of a sign. One is what intelligent adults engage in. The other is childish unproductive games.

OK fine, call me a Peter Pan or whatnot.  Now... I'd rather be a Peter Pan than some sheeple or lemming.  Sheeple and lemmings are those who choose not to think for themselves.  They are also the ones who choose to accept whatever tullprat the MSM spews. They are the ones who end up getting duped by scam phone calls. They are the ones who think "sugar is sugar" when Big Corn Syrup ads appear. They are the ones who believe in stock tips from the interwebs. And so it goes. Finally, I think this is the end of this conversation since I don't think you'll ever dig where I'm coming from.
---Value Added Cool
(10-11-2016, 10:22 AM)Warren Dew Wrote: Thanks.  I was born in 1960, so late boom by S&H and the generally accepted definition, although I think John's theory has the cutoff in 1959.  I definitely seem to have more boom characteristics - arrogant, no sense of humor, all that stuff.

Wait, Boomers are supposed to have no sense of humor? I know a lot of funny Boomers.
(10-11-2016, 02:50 PM)taramarie Wrote: The law stated that she could not go out to look for work till I was 16 due to the fact it would be considered irresponsible and illegal to leave me without supervision. My mother mentioned this to me when I was 13 and she said if caught doing so she could be charged for it or even thrown in jail.

I know I've said it before, but this is just freaking ridiculous and honestly have a hard time believing it to be true. Are you sure that is actually the law and not something your crazy mom made up? Because it just seems THAT unbelievable to me.
(10-11-2016, 05:11 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Snus and chaw do not affect asthma.

But it does give you oral cancer... Rolleyes
(10-12-2016, 07:02 AM)Odin Wrote:
(10-11-2016, 05:11 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Snus and chaw do not affect asthma.

But it does give you oral cancer... Rolleyes

The risk is minor.   Tongue  I'm more likely to meet my end in a car wreck.  So... the best thing to do  for myself is to limit the amount of driving I do.  That means buying stuff on Amazon.  I also know exactly what's in my snus since I make it myself so I can avoid all of those stupid taxes.
---Value Added Cool
(10-11-2016, 02:27 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-11-2016, 10:22 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(10-11-2016, 12:29 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-11-2016, 12:20 AM)Warren Dew Wrote: Also, could  someone help a newbie out and tell me how old Rag and X_4 are?
I believe they are close age-wise to each other. Rags was born 63 ....i think. He will correct me if i am wrong. But he is an early xer and i believe x_4 is an early xer too. I take it you are a late boom like my mother?
Thanks.  I was born in 1960, so late boom by S&H and the generally accepted definition, although I think John's theory has the cutoff in 1959.  I definitely seem to have more boom characteristics - arrogant, no sense of humor, all that stuff.
Arrogant...yeah I have been that as a theme for them to the tune of my way or the highway (sometimes) and all should follow my example (more often than not). That is why it is so blatantly obvious for them in general. They are loud about it. No sense of humour though? I have seen way too many boomers with a fantastic sense of humour. My own mother included. One of my former early boomer teachers who took me in the design foundation course always a mischievous smile on his face. Always joking around. No, I do not see why you mentioned that. All generations have a sense of humour. But what can be analyzed is how the sense of humour changes characteristics over time.

I guess I was mostly thinking of use of humor in argument.  Xers often use humor to defuse the tension  associated with disagreement.  I don't think Boomers do that as much.
(10-08-2016, 03:58 PM)Mikebert Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 04:57 PM)FLBones Wrote: The youngest of the Millies are in the 6th grade now and within 6 years, they'll all be in rising adulthood. After this, the eldest Millennials will be nearing their 40s and start to bring about their civic traits now that they have more control over society. A war is likely to occur in the early 2020s but the economy will boom.

It seems you accept 2003 as the last millennial birth year.
yes, 2003-2005. somewhere around there. we won't for sure yet until another ten years at least. Everyone born in the 2010s will be artists. the next set of prophets will probably begin to be born in about 8-11 years from now.
(10-12-2016, 02:19 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-12-2016, 10:26 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(10-11-2016, 02:27 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-11-2016, 10:22 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(10-11-2016, 12:29 AM)taramarie Wrote: I believe they are close age-wise to each other. Rags was born 63 ....i think. He will correct me if i am wrong. But he is an early xer and i believe x_4 is an early xer too. I take it you are a late boom like my mother?
Arrogant...yeah I have been that as a theme for them to the tune of my way or the highway (sometimes) and all should follow my example (more often than not). That is why it is so blatantly obvious for them in general. They are loud about it. No sense of humour though? I have seen way too many boomers with a fantastic sense of humour. My own mother included. One of my former early boomer teachers who took me in the design foundation course always a mischievous smile on his face. Always joking around. No, I do not see why you mentioned that. All generations have a sense of humour. But what can be analyzed is how the sense of humour changes characteristics over time.

I guess I was mostly thinking of use of humor in argument.  Xers often use humor to defuse the tension  associated with disagreement.  I don't think Boomers do that as much.
Ah I see. Yes THAT would be definitely true. My ex who is an xer used it all the freaking time and it drove me bonkers as to me it seemed he was being insincere and as i have no xer relatives in my family here in NZ i had not really encountered it before especially to that degree and i did not know how to deal with it. It seemed like i could not have a sincere relationship with him and there was massive disconnect. No, boomers that i have encountered say what they want and they mean it. Which I prefer tbh. At least you know what is going on with them. I can connect with them far more than with that childish use of humour when you are trying to have a serious conversation. Unless you get the silent treatment that is....

There is a right place for humour and a wrong time too. When having a serious conversation that needs to be cleared up there and then time to be an adult. When it is a more light hearted conversation go for it. Just me though. It was like I was dating a child. I could never have a serious conversation with him and I craved it for a deeper relationship..

I'm not making any comment about your situation with your ex, but I think in some ways Gen Xers have learnt to use humor as a defense mechanism in difficult situations as a result of growing up in the less child-friendly 2T and coming of age in the every-man-for-himself 3T.

Reminds me of the account I read yesterday of a Trump victim who was a young model in the early 90s.  At a club in New York, she did not notice the older man who sat down next to her on a couch until she felt his hand sliding up her skirt to touch her between her legs.  She jumped up to look at him, recognizing him as Donald Trump.  Instead of slapping him in the face, or speaking out publicly against the wealthy celebrity, she later met with her girlfriends and laughed about what a pathetic old pervert he was.  

Sometimes laughter is the refuge of the powerless.