Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(11-05-2016, 02:24 AM)taramarie Wrote: While I can see that Americans are aware of propaganda in their media I do have to wonder how much of an influence it has on the people if that is all they are pretty much fed. How do you part away the truth from the bias twist? Yes I have heard both parties, Republicans to a certain degree and certainly Dems despise him. I also think it is no coincidence as to why he has risen to power for various reasons. I can see why they would be against him but at the same time I do not see why they do not mention what she has done also. I was speaking to others on them doing a comparison of both candidates as to understand why some consider Trump a dictator and also Hillary a dictator. The answer was FASCINATING. Hang a bit I will find that comparison and post it here.

I said Republican establishment for a reason because they tend to share the same worldview as the Democrat establishment.  In a very real sense what the members of both parties think really doesn't matter to the elites.  As this is a fourth turning it seems likely that this is about to change.  In order to understand what is happening in this election I would recommend that you read the Scott Adams blog.  I pointed you to a good starting point and I suggest that you continue on from there, in the order that they were posted.  Unless you understand the persuasion game, this election will never make sense to you.  Come to think of it, you will get insight into New Zealand elections as well which is not a bad thing.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(11-05-2016, 02:57 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 02:46 AM)Galen Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 02:24 AM)taramarie Wrote: While I can see that Americans are aware of propaganda in their media I do have to wonder how much of an influence it has on the people if that is all they are pretty much fed. How do you part away the truth from the bias twist? Yes I have heard both parties, Republicans to a certain degree and certainly Dems despise him. I also think it is no coincidence as to why he has risen to power for various reasons. I can see why they would be against him but at the same time I do not see why they do not mention what she has done also. I was speaking to others on them doing a comparison of both candidates as to understand why some consider Trump a dictator and also Hillary a dictator. The answer was FASCINATING. Hang a bit I will find that comparison and post it here.

I said Republican establishment for a reason because they tend to share the same worldview as the Democrat establishment.  In a very real sense what the members of both parties think really doesn't matter to the elites.  As this is a fourth turning it seems likely that this is about to change.  In order to understand what is happening in this election I would recommend that you read the [URL="http://blog.dilbert.com/post/150328786191/deplorable-pneumonia"Scott Adams blog[/URL].  I pointed you to a good starting point and I suggest that you continue on from there, in the order that they were posted.  Unless you understand the persuasion game, this election will never make sense to you.  Come to think of it, you will get insight into New Zealand elections as well which is not a bad thing.
Really? I am very surprised as it does not seem that way to me. Seems like they are trying to warp people's minds for mass control + election tipping in their favour = profit and control in favour for their ideology.

Yes, that is true. I considered that.

You have a point.  I should have said that the interests of their members don't matter to the elites of both major parties.  Its nice to know that you are paying attention.  So few do.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(11-05-2016, 03:08 AM)taramarie Wrote: Ah yes that makes a difference.

Yes I am learning. The fact that America is so different when it comes to politics and media is fascinating to me and I love to learn. I am detail orientated and love to know the ins and outs of whatever holds my attention. In this case it is American politics and the media. This will as you say also help me to apply the same type of analysis to how it is here. I learn something new every day about what goes on over there and I have also been given a few supposed non biased news outlets that have been agreed on by several people. Do not know if it is true but I shall soon see.

All news sources are biased.  Knowing the bias of the source is useful in figuring out what the truth actually is.  It is also a good idea to look at source material whenever possible.

(11-05-2016, 03:17 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 03:13 AM)Galen Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 03:08 AM)taramarie Wrote: Ah yes that makes a difference.

Yes I am learning. The fact that America is so different when it comes to politics and media is fascinating to me and I love to learn. I am detail orientated and love to know the ins and outs of whatever holds my attention. In this case it is American politics and the media. This will as you say also help me to apply the same type of analysis to how it is here. I learn something new every day about what goes on over there and I have also been given a few supposed non biased news outlets that have been agreed on by several people. Do not know if it is true but I shall soon see.

All news sources are biased.  Knowing the bias of the source is useful in figuring out what the truth actually is.  It is also a good idea to look at source material whenever possible.
Wouldn't source material also be biased to a certain degree? How do Americans tell fact from fiction?
Can be but that is why you check with several sources.  Try to think like an intelligence analyst would, its not easy but it is a skill I developed when I was very young.  A surprising number of Xers do this on an instinctive level, they don' realize they are doing it.  Find out where I got my account name from and apply the five questions.  You will often understand a person better than they understand themselves.  Only princeofcats ever figured out why I chose the name Galen for my user name.

(11-05-2016, 04:42 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 04:21 AM)Galen Wrote: Can be but that is why you check with several sources.  Try to think like an intelligence analyst would, its not easy but it is a skill I developed when I was very young.  A surprising number of Xers do this on an instinctive level, they don' realize they are doing it.  Find out where I got my account name from and apply the five questions.  You will often understand a person better than they understand themselves.  Only princeofcats ever figured out why I chose the name Galen for my user name.
Five questions? As for your name no I do not know where it originated from. As a child I never had to worry about biased news sources here in my country and until quite recently I have only now started thinking about it only because of America.

Every time I post an article you see an important clue about the name I chose.  You are just so used seeing it that you ignore it.  This is one answer that you must discover for yourself.  Once you know where the name Galen comes from the five questions will be self evident.  Bias is often revealed in the trivial and ubiquitous items around us.  The ability to discern them must be learned which means the answer can not simply be given.  Learning to do this is yet another of the most annoying aspects of being a member of Generation X but having some of the Lost around made learning this vital skill a little easier to me.

Truth is, I am surprised no one has figured it out.  Princeofcats had even less to work with when he figured it out.

(11-05-2016, 05:11 AM)taramarie Wrote: The origin of the word means "calm" in Greek.

I can only guess that these people must have a connection to the origin of the meaning of that word. I know nothing of these two people to be honest. But both sound like the seek truth. But I can observe in you that you seek to also give the truth out calmly. Sorry if I did not hit the mark. I know nothing of these two individuals in your signature.

Keep looking, important as those individuals are you are looking in the wrong place.  You will eventually figure it out.  I am curious as to who figures it out which is why I would prefer answers as a private message.  In fact your next answer should be a private message.

(11-05-2016, 05:38 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 05:35 AM)Galen Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 05:11 AM)taramarie Wrote: The origin of the word means "calm" in Greek.

I can only guess that these people must have a connection to the origin of the meaning of that word. I know nothing of these two people to be honest. But both sound like the seek truth. But I can observe in you that you seek to also give the truth out calmly. Sorry if I did not hit the mark. I know nothing of these two individuals in your signature.

Keep looking, important as those individuals are you are looking in the wrong place.  You will eventually figure it out.  I am curious as to who figures it out which is why I would prefer answers as a private message.  In fact your next answer should be a private message.
But why be so cryptic?

There things that must be discovered for yourself.  As a Buddhist monk once told me:  Enlightenment is a path, not a destination.  There is more to a message on this board than words.

(11-05-2016, 05:52 AM)taramarie Wrote: [quote pid='11481' dateline='1478342739']
There things that must be discovered for yourself.  As a Buddhist monk once told me:  Enlightenment is a path, not a destination.  There is more to a message on this board than words.
Yeah I prefer the straight forward way myself and provide that for others so they know I am being honest with them, no secrets as the world is full of that and lies. I find openness lacking in this world. I know people are protecting themselves but still....it is needed. Oh well. My sig holds no secrets anyway as I like to be easy to read.
[/quote]

Its not that I am keeping secrets from you but rather there are things that you don't see.  The answer is truly right before your eyes and has been for a long time.  In fact you have been looking at it since shortly after this new message board was established.   Perhaps you should look outside the message frame.

(11-05-2016, 06:09 AM)taramarie Wrote: Or that the messages hold a hint towards something else. Truly I have nothing here. I am actually not used to working this way. I think they raised my generation into robots tbh. Some teachers have done this cryptic method with us and were met with silence.

One of the true tragedies for the Millies is that their elders spoonfed them the answers because they didn't want them observing and  thinking.  No matter what you post there are still things in your messages that are always the same no matter what message you send.  As a Gnostic would say: when you change your conscious then miracles happen.  Perhaps the question is: Where are you not looking?

(11-05-2016, 06:26 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 06:21 AM)Galen Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 06:09 AM)taramarie Wrote: Or that the messages hold a hint towards something else. Truly I have nothing here. I am actually not used to working this way. I think they raised my generation into robots tbh. Some teachers have done this cryptic method with us and were met with silence.

One of the true tragedies for the Millies is that their elders spoonfed them the answers because they didn't want them observing and  thinking.  No matter what you post there are still things in your messages that are always the same no matter what message you send.  As a Gnostic would say: when you change your conscious then miracles happen.  Perhaps the question is: Where are you not looking?

Where wasn't I looking? Deeper into the message and outside source. It feels like I am grasping at air here. Very unsettling.

Welcome to my world.  Like most Xers, I had to make sense of an insane world that presented even harder problems.

Perhaps you should cast your gaze wider rather then deeper?

(11-05-2016, 06:33 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 06:21 AM)Galen Wrote:

Were GI's spoonfed answers also? I saw a video where this GI said he wanted his children's generation to be thinkers in contrast to how he was raised. I have the video actually of this.

6:40

Not to the degree the Millies were.  Based on the Lost that was left by my time it appeared that the Missionary Generation was not nearly as insane as the Boomers.  That clip is not entirely wrong but neither the Lost or Missionary Generations were as self centered as the Boomers.  In fact, the Lost that I knew never had the resentment toward the Missionary Generation that so many of us Xers have towards the Boomers.
Both of my GI Grandfathers were truly adept at improvising when needed.  In fact my grandfather on my mother's side would find a book to learn a skill that he didn't already know.  He had skills in auto bodywork, gun smithing and electronics with no formal training and those were only a few of the things he did.  The conformity they are known for came from the fact that so many of them ended up in the military to fight in World War II.

The other one kept a small farm going until the early eighties when he died due to brain cancer.  Truth is I hadn't had much contact with him since about 1972.  Given the increasing capital requirements over the years, that was an impressive achievement.  To this day, the only person I have contact from that side of the family is with is his second wife.  She is truly a decent person and I don't meet many of those.  While the genetics may say otherwise, she was where I would expect a grandmother doing what I would expect one to be doing.

(11-05-2016, 01:31 AM)Galen Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 12:28 AM)taramarie Wrote: Has news in America always been like this? Always biased one way or another I mean.

It has always been biased, including the during the days of Cronkite back when I was very young.  There were only three major TV networks and they all pretty much sounded the same.  The newspapers, while more decentralized in many respects, got most of their national and international stories from UP or AP wire services just as they do now.  This is why the US probably had about as unified of a culture as it ever would through most of the last century.  That consensus started breaking down in the nineties and that trend has accelerated with the recession of 2008 and the lack of a real recovery, particularly in what is known as flyover country.

Every culture has its assumptions. Even the choice of rational thought as an objective is a bias toward rational thought as opposed to superstition, stereotypes, mysticism, ignorance, and solipsism.

Quote:The situation with the advent of the internet is more like that of the nineteenth century and its many regional cultures.  I really don't see the US surviving in its current form due to this and the continuing economic stress due to the government living beyond its means.   In an effort to maintain the status quo it looks as if both wings of the same party, known to most people as Democrats and Republicans, have decided that war is necessary.  This is why much of the rhetoric about Russia sounds so much the like Cold War that I remember and prefer not to live through again.

"The government living beyond its means'? The government's means of existence is its ability to impose taxes. People generally do not oppose taxes that they associate with related improvements in life, as in gasoline taxes that support inexpensive and easy transportation. I live in a dreary hick town, and to escape its limitations I use expressways to get out of it to some small to giant cities where the culture is and where the retailing is more diverse. I would not do so so often if I were obliged to use Blood Alleys in which I might turn a corner and run into farm vehicles.

Quote:To get a feel for the mood and the absurdity of it I would recommend watching Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.  I would also spend some time and get familiar with Russian history because Putin's behavior in response to the US driving NATO right up to their border will make much more sense.

The Russian Empire, the Soviet Union, and now the Russian Federation have alternated between status quo foreign relations and aggression. This is commonplace for geographic empires (including the USA).
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

[Image: 13512245_1171700792922973_48727991907016...e=58D4D903]
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
America was watching, the world was watching, and Donald Trump needed everyone to understand just how dire the straits really were.

“Our convention occurs at a moment of crisis for our nation,” he proclaimed ominously as he officially accepted the Republican nomination for president at the party’s convention in Cleveland last month. It was a grim portrait of America, a once-great nation ravaged by terrorism, “poverty and violence” at home, “war and destruction” overseas.

The solution? Not God. Or patriotism. Or casting aside party loyalty to come together as a nation. No, politicians had rallied under those virtuous banners before, and where had it gotten us? Instead, the newly crowned nominee offered a more messianic promise: that Trump—and only Trump—can get things back on track.

That’s the moment, says Rick Alan Ross, America’s leading cult expert, when he realized Trumpism had striking similarities to the fanatical groups he studies.

Like many moderates in the party, Ross, the executive director of the Cult Education Institute and a lifelong Republican, had watched Trump’s rise with mounting distaste. But Trump’s rhetoric at the RNC—“I alone can fix it”—clicked the pieces into place. “That kind of pronouncement is typical of many cult leaders, who say that ‘my way is the only way, I am the only one,’” Ross says. “That was a very defining moment.”

When I called Ross, I cut right to the chase, asking, “Is Trump a cult leader?” I didn’t get more than a few words in for the next 20 minutes as he dove into the evidence: the nominee’s deep-rooted narcissism, his lack of transparency, many of his supporters’ blind, full-throttled adoration. A week later, he left me two voicemails outlining the warning signs of narcissistic personality disorder in the candidate, and a week after that, followed up with another batch of e-mails expounding on Trump’s similarities to the cults he studies. There was a lot to dig into.
http://www.gq.com/story/the-cult-of-trump

The cult of Trump consists of:
Sign I: His campaign is fueled by charisma.
Sign II: He’s a raging narcissist.
Sign III: What he says is always right. Even when it's not.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Worth posting again and again:

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Let's remember this on Tuesday. This clip from 1947 (nearly seventy years old, and still prescient) remains worth heeding:

Vote wisely. There are people who want to take away your freedom and dignity. At first those con artists threaten only to take away someone else's freedom and dignity.

Be a real patriot. Defend the dignity and freedom of fellow Americans who may have very different skin tone, ethnic origin, or sexual orientation...or, like me, a disability. November 8 will be the easiest and least expensive, and perhaps most decisive, opportunity for you as an American to do the most patriotic deed possible. Nobody needs take a bullet, go down with a ship or plane, or dodge an IED this time.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(11-05-2016, 03:03 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 06:50 AM)Galen Wrote: The other one kept a small farm going until the early eighties when he died due to brain cancer.  Truth is I hadn't had much contact with him since about 1972.  Given the increasing capital requirements over the years, that was an impressive achievement.  To this day, the only person I have contact from that side of the family is with is his second wife.  She is truly a decent person and I don't meet many of those.  While the genetics may say otherwise, she was where I would expect a grandmother doing what I would expect one to be doing.
What does that mean? What do you expect one to do?

I have written of my grandmother and great-grandmother so that defined my expectations.  She defied him while he was alive by keeping in contact with us.  His first wife died of cancer about five years before I was born.

(11-05-2016, 03:17 PM)taramarie Wrote: Why do you think that is? Regarding the difference in attitude that the lost had for the missionaries (majority of course) compared to how  some xers feel about the boomers? Could it be that they messed up the culture and economy, (other generations participated of course), they were along for the ride in the mess up and they never quite got around to fixing it, creating instability that did not favour Xers? Of course boomers being such a massive generation who were the elders taking power and were at the core of this cultural change they were blamed for the mess. In NZ it is a similar story yet ended quite differently. Thankfully ours wanted to fix long standing issues and put them into law to cement them. Majority agreed with the consensus because the people were willing to accept it compared to other years. There was one thing though they could never crack down on and that was drugs.

From what I know of history and comments from GI and Lost that I knew, the Missionary Generation was never quite as insane as the Boomers got.  Unlike the Boomers they did not think that society could arbitrarily be altered.  This was particularly true after the massive failure of Prohibition.  If anything the religious revival associated with them was something to be expected of American culture.  What the Boomers did was a complete departure and their so-called spiritualism was more a cover for their hedonism than anything else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 122,955 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,579 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,617 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,895 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,831 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,240 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,656 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 18,009 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green