Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the best songs ever: the lost years
(06-17-2016, 02:59 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 02:44 AM)Galen Wrote: I have posted this one before but not where we encountered because you see it was almost never played on the radio.  I am curious to see what you think of it.  This movie was very popular among Xers but I don't think a Millie will relate to it very well.

No i don't relate to it and the sound is unusual to me. I do not understand the meaning of it. I can only imagine it is about senseless killing and madness around these war vets. Shrug. Not my thing but i totally respect that many xers like it.

You don't understand and I am not surprised.  Consider yourself fortunate.

The GIs stared into the abyss during the Second World War and for many of those who survived there was something to look forward to as history records.  For Generation X that was never true even though many of us stared into the abyss at all to young of an age and knew that it was only a dress rehearsal for what was to come.  No matter what we did there would be no victory and survival was only temporary at best.  No matter what we did in the end there would be no victory.  In fact the moment you though that you had escape you would discover how screwed you really were.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(06-17-2016, 03:28 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 03:22 AM)Galen Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 02:59 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 02:44 AM)Galen Wrote: I have posted this one before but not where we encountered because you see it was almost never played on the radio.  I am curious to see what you think of it.  This movie was very popular among Xers but I don't think a Millie will relate to it very well.

No i don't relate to it and the sound is unusual to me. I do not understand the meaning of it. I can only imagine it is about senseless killing and madness around these war vets. Shrug. Not my thing but i totally respect that many xers like it.

You don't understand and I am not surprised.  Consider yourself fortunate.

The GIs stared into the abyss during the Second World War and for many of those who survived there was something to look forward to as history records.  For Generation X that was never true even though many of us stared into the abyss at all to young of an age and knew that it was only a dress rehearsal for what was to come.  No matter what we did there would be no victory and survival was only temporary at best.  No matter what in the end there would be no victory.

Yeah i think we take out of songs what we put in them. This proves I am no xer at all pretty much. I did not see that in this song. Just the literal image as i cannot relate at all to that despair as I always try to solve issues and with it look for a bright side to a problem.

Art often is a reflection of what is already there.  This movie is very much a reflection of the the time and the people who it was targeted for.  One of the reasons that Eric the Obtuse hates third turning music is because it is a reflections of the consequences of their actions.  Something most of them can't face and so they pretend it doesn't exist.  That was never an option for me and most of my contemporaries.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(06-17-2016, 03:44 AM)taramarie Wrote: To make Eric's eardrums bleed. I know he will hate this one.

But i post because i like this song. I encountered it on Rockband.  Big Grin

I can see why.

Xers tended, and often still do, oscillate between the light and dark side of their experience.  This is from the lighter side.

(06-17-2016, 03:51 AM)taramarie Wrote: Yes and no because quite often i have created something and people interpret in a way which made me look twice at my work Because even i had no intended it to have a meaning that someone else got out of it. Which always fascinates meas it tells me something about that person. Not sure as to why he hates that music. Maybe he just has certain tastes. Who knows. I also like him like my happier upbeat music...but that was the era i grew up in and it is nostalgic for me. However i have grown to like music that would make his hair fall out too! For me i am a mix of both. Happier music helps me to relax and remember good times and the other helps me to understand the current misery i am going through with my mother's debt and the recession hitting NZ hard as well as the earthquake disaster that is ongoing here.

He knows why he doesn't like it but he can't face the reason for its existence.  It would require more exposure to reality than he can ever deal with.

(06-17-2016, 04:00 AM)taramarie Wrote:

Yikes.  I had almost forgotten about that.

Even the Moody Blues went a bit dark during that time.  They could never manage Blue Oyster Cult levels because they just didn't have it in them.

(06-17-2016, 04:07 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 03:55 AM)Galen Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 03:51 AM)taramarie Wrote: Yes and no because quite often i have created something and people interpret in a way which made me look twice at my work Because even i had no intended it to have a meaning that someone else got out of it. Which always fascinates meas it tells me something about that person. Not sure as to why he hates that music. Maybe he just has certain tastes. Who knows. I also like him like my happier upbeat music...but that was the era i grew up in and it is nostalgic for me. However i have grown to like music that would make his hair fall out too! For me i am a mix of both. Happier music helps me to relax and remember good times and the other helps me to understand the current misery i am going through with my mother's debt and the recession hitting NZ hard as well as the earthquake disaster that is ongoing here.

He knows why he doesn't like it but he can't face the reason for its existence.  It would require more exposure to reality than he can ever deal with.
Well I tried to explain to him why it is necessary for it to sound the way that it sounds but he either did not understand or just puts his taste before everything else. He wanted to make it more "beautiful and melodic." I said that would take away the point to the songs. Smdh. It amazes me that he too is an artist like myself but does not understand this. He truly is an idealist. I mean I may not understand the meaning to something an xer would understand like earlier...but at least i understand the sound, image and feel to the song is portraying a message that wants to be heard and understood (as well as what we individually can interpret to mean).

Remember the demographic they were trying to appeal to at the time.  Happy sixties optimism just wasn't going to work with people dealing with the consequences of what he sees as idealism.  Eric the Obtuse is a tyrant who doesn't have the stones to admit what he is.  People and art are simply objects to be molded to his desires.  As a former Buddhist monk I know is fond of saying, "Desire is the root of all evil."

Perhaps this will give you a bit better feel of the zeitgeist of the time without the rather dark imagery of Blue Oyster Cult.  These guys were somewhat off the wall for the time.

(06-17-2016, 04:22 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 04:14 AM)Galen Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 04:07 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 03:55 AM)Galen Wrote:

Well I tried to explain to him why it is necessary for it to sound the way that it sounds but he either did not understand or just puts his taste before everything else. He wanted to make it more "beautiful and melodic." I said that would take away the point to the songs. Smdh. It amazes me that he too is an artist like myself but does not understand this. He truly is an idealist. I mean I may not understand the meaning to something an xer would understand like earlier...but at least i understand the sound, image and feel to the song is portraying a message that wants to be heard and understood (as well as what we individually can interpret to mean).

Remember the demographic they were trying to appeal to at the time.  Happy sixties optimism just wasn't going to work with people dealing with the consequences of what he sees as idealism.  Eric the Obtuse is a tyrant who doesn't have the stones to admit what he is.  People and art are simply objects to be molded to his desires.  As a former Buddhist monk I know is fond of saying, "Desire is the root of all evil."
Well I dunno tbh i think he may just be stubborn and think his way is the right way in all things including music. I hate to think of him as a tyrant. I would not go that far but that is just me. But lets just enjoy the music as he will see this and will turn a good thread into a squabble fest.

You got that right.

(06-17-2016, 04:29 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 04:18 AM)Galen Wrote: Perhaps this will give you a bit better feel of the zeitgeist of the time without the rather dark imagery of Blue Oyster Cult.  These guys were somewhat off the wall for the time.

God it must suck to be an xer. I can't even imagine tbh what it is like to have that mentality. Surely often it is how we interpret our lives and what we think and put to action helps to make or break us. But yes of course outer forces give us a knock around too. I swallowed that tough pill too but mind to goal and don't let it break you i keep telling myself. Things will get better eventually. I just have to work towards it. That is my outlook anyway.

Xers can often see and deal with things others can't but it does have its price.

Here is an interesting example of what MTV started with.  Despite its rather happy tone it will offend the sensibilities of Eric the Obtuse.

I generally like Talking Heads, as I said before. I think they are genuinely innovative. But they probably have not done any songs I would pick for the title "best ever." The same applies to Devo, as I also said before. On the contrary Clueless; I like "Whip it"

"I said that would take away the point to the songs. Smdh. It amazes me that he too is an artist like myself but does not understand this. He truly is an idealist. I mean I may not understand the meaning to something an xer would understand like earlier...but at least i understand the sound, image and feel to the song is portraying a message that wants to be heard and understood" Nonsense. Art does not have to be ugly and sound like fingernails on a blackboard in order to "portray a message." I could care less about a message portrayed that hurts my ears and sensibilities. Bob Dylan knew how to do it right; even Justin Bieber knows how to do it right.

I wanted to give taramarie credit when I said I don't believe she really would choose songs by Disturbed as the best ever. I wanted to believe better. I believe her now; she obviously meant it sincerely, as did the Ragged one. And I liked her unicorn song choice. So, people make both good and bad choices, in anyone's opinion; mine or hers.

I take no credit for any songs I choose. All credit goes to the artists and composers. I enjoy them and the worlds they create. They are great; they are worth sharing. I am just the DJ.

Galen is just politically wrong. That colors everything he says about me. In my view, the lack of and betrayal of idealism is what went wrong, generally-speaking; not the consequences of it. But in music, I am interested ONLY in quality, and that is synonymous with beauty, melody, harmony, counterpoint, rhythm, imagination, sound, ambience and atmosphere, lyrics, vocal styling, inspiration; all the things that make music great. Whether the words or "message" is idealistic or cynical is almost beside the point. You know what my #1 rock song is, for example. I'll get to it pretty soon.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-17-2016, 04:45 AM)taramarie Wrote: 1992

This song took on a whole new meaning during the massive earthquakes...

I forgot about this one but I always did like Annie Lennox.  A truly wonderful voice.

Here are my two favorite Christmas songs.

Many Xers really do have a penchant for satire and I really do enjoy it.

Here is Annie Lennox probably at her best.  It was unusual how well this went over at the time.

(06-17-2016, 05:09 AM)taramarie Wrote:

i have this album

I think my brother was listening to this.  He was into heavy metal, not normally my taste but it makes perfect sense to me why this was so popular.

This is normally outside what I tended to listen to but I liked it.  This is the one person that could out weird Ozzy Osbourne

(06-17-2016, 04:39 AM)Eric the Obtuse Wrote: Galen is just politically wrong. That colors everything he says about me. In my view, the lack of and betrayal of idealism is what went wrong, generally-speaking; not the consequences of it. But in music, I am interested ONLY in quality, and that is synonymous with beauty, melody, harmony, counterpoint, rhythm, imagination, sound, ambience and atmosphere, lyrics, vocal styling, inspiration; all the things that make music great. Whether the words or "message" is idealistic or cynical is almost beside the point. You know what my #1 rock song is, for example. I'll get to it pretty soon.

I have run into many pieces of music that are well executed but don't really do anything for me.  They must connect with something in the psyche otherwise it is just noise.  I rather liked this long before I ever encountered you  but it did connect with something that I was never before able to put into words.  Those ideas sum you up nicely.  A pity you can't understand it.

Taramarie those were some good choices.  I have to get some sleep so I will leave you with this something that I listened to quite a bit.  I am curious to if you can figure out why.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,386 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever Eric the Green 642 396,760 06-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green