Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2T Vs. 3T pop culture
(08-03-2016, 11:48 PM)MillsT_98 Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 11:26 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: There is a lot of sentiment out there that the 3T and 4T music isn't as good, and it would be good if real music was brought back. I would like to see people here demonstrate that the 3T produced some good pop music. Taramarie actually posted at least a few good songs, and some OK "happy" (and sexy) pop. Others posted a few good things. The Santana song I was going to post, was posted. Recently it's been mostly grunge stuff, and I don't hear music in it. But I know there were some good rock groups in the 3T, like REM, Depeche Mode, and early Maroon 5 was OK; and I thought I heard some good songs by The Cure (not posted in the 3T thread yet though), and later, Coldplay and Green Day. I think there's some good stuff that better represents "the best," even though I likely wouldn't think it is; but at least good. I don't know enough about the era and would like to learn more, without having my ears bled. So I hope you can give it a shot. Find the good stuff. It's not a matter of what generation I sympathize with; it's a question of quality.

Just remember, what someone thinks is the best is subjective and is just their opinion. Anyone can post whatever they think is the best music on the best song threads!

Anyone can, indeed. I can also post here that they can do better. That is my opinion. It is not subjective, as I have stated correctly. It is a combination of objective and subjective. Some music is definitely better than other music. Even if I may be wrong about which is better. It is my best perception of the music, not just my "opinion." I really wish people would get beyond this post-modern relativism that anything is as good as anything else. It ain't so.

So I don't need to "remember" what ain't so. People need to "remember" what IS so.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(08-03-2016, 11:35 PM)MillsT_98 Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 08:08 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 06:22 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I see thousands of comments on you tube videos from people young and old, similar to this:

Tami Rolhiser2 weeks ago
I really love this old music as it tells us a story and has so much meaning as today's music has no meaning what so ever and it really sucks as to why I love the 50s 60s and 70s music it was so meaningful back then wish I could have experience those good old days as I don't care for the music today

Lots of young people agree, the music was better then. Of course in 2010-2012 when I would see these comments, almost everyone would also say, "So much better than Justin Bieber" etc. because he was the biggest pop sensation of that time. I like JB, of course, and some other more-recent music.

People say the same thing about 90s music. That it was better then than now. It is nostalgia talking.

I have witnessed many Millennials be nostalgic about everything to do with 90s culture. I am like that to an extent. Today more than ever seems to be a time to reflect on the past, and that includes being nostalgic about past culture.

What are you nostalgic about?

Something more than grungy noise I would hope. Post some good stuff to be nostalgic about, please, on the proper thread. I know it's not just about music; the 90s was a better time in many ways.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(08-04-2016, 12:29 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 08:08 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 06:22 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I see thousands of comments on you tube videos from people young and old, similar to this:

Tami Rolhiser2 weeks ago
I really love this old music as it tells us a story and has so much meaning as today's music has no meaning what so ever and it really sucks as to why I love the 50s 60s and 70s music it was so meaningful back then wish I could have experience those good old days as I don't care for the music today

Lots of young people agree, the music was better then. Of course in 2010-2012 when I would see these comments, almost everyone would also say, "So much better than Justin Bieber" etc. because he was the biggest pop sensation of that time. I like JB, of course, and some other more-recent music.

People say the same thing about 90s music. That it was better then than now. It is nostalgia talking.

I have witnessed many Millennials be nostalgic about everything to do with 90s culture. I am like that to an extent. Today more than ever seems to be a time to reflect on the past, and that includes being nostalgic about past culture.

That is interesting that you are nostalgic for the 90s culture as you were only a wee one in the late 90s. I was born in the mid 80s and am not nostalgic for it as i do not remember it.

Yes, I was born in the late 90s, but 90s culture is very interesting and I witnessed some of it in the early 2000s. I've been immersed in the same culture so-called "90s kids" have grown up in. Because of  also become nostalgic about a time before I was born though. You probably weren't nostalgic about the 90s like I was because you were older. That would be the equivalent of me being nostalgic about 2010-12.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again."
—Thomas Paine, Common Sense (1776)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
(08-04-2016, 01:47 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(08-04-2016, 01:43 AM)MillsT_98 Wrote:
(08-04-2016, 12:29 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 08:08 PM)taramarie Wrote: People say the same thing about 90s music. That it was better then than now. It is nostalgia talking.

That is interesting that you are nostalgic for the 90s culture as you were only a wee one in the late 90s. I was born in the mid 80s and am not nostalgic for it as i do not remember it.

Yes, I was born in the late 90s, but 90s culture is very interesting and I witnessed some of it in the early 2000s. I've been immersed in the same culture so-called "90s kids" have grown up in. Because of  also become nostalgic about a time before I was born though. You probably weren't nostalgic about the 90s like I was because you were older. That would be the equivalent of me being nostalgic about 2010-12.

You are very wrong about that. I barely remember the 80s. It did not impact me at all. But the 90s I am very nostalgic for. It was most of my childhood. 5 to 15.

I thought you meant the 90s, not the 80s. I'm fond of the 2000s because it was most of my childhood as well. 1 to 11.

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
(08-04-2016, 01:54 AM)taramarie Wrote: I would remember the whole 90s better than you would because i was actually there. It made me who I am From barney, captain planet, to pokemon, digimon, spice girls, boy bands, beast wars, power rangers, pogs, knuckle bones, scrunchies, slap bracelets, to furbies, tamagitchies, the lion king and all the toys as well as TMNT toy mania, Jurassic park and JP trading cards.....me not nostalgic for the 90s when it was a huge chunk of my early to teen childhood??? hahahahaha! I am 90s to the core lil buddy! You merely got the arse end of it. Sorry about that. You missed out of a treasure of a decade.

Man I'm jealous of you for actually remembering the 90s! I wasn't even 2 at the turn of the new millennium! I wish I could remember the 90s like you could!

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
I might actually be the youngest person on the forum so it's weird that I don't remember much of the experiences other people had!

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
(08-03-2016, 01:53 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I feel two ways about people liking such stuff as grunge, heavy metal, core punk, rap and shallow pop. On the one hand, as John Lennon said, whatever gets you through the night, it's all right. Whatever people enjoy is OK with me. I don't disrespect people for liking the music I don't, or vice-versa.

On the other hand, I say people ought to know better. That stuff is obvious trash (in my opinion). It is the worse stuff I have ever heard from any time in history, and I know a lot of times in history. That's why I think some of you guys can't really be serious, and why I even might say that that stuff is noise for boise. Of course, we all have our boys sides, and we never really fully grow up and throw out that part of us, so why is that an insult, Tara? "Shake it off," Tara. Stop preaching, and chill out, Miss angry, volatile Scorpio/Pluto young lady Millennial! It really is tiring. And this is not going to be the start of an endless squabble. I've said my piece, and I'm NOT going to change my mind due to insults from you, Tara. Grow up and stop being a boi.

I have an ideal: that we the people need to be more sensitive, gentle, feminine, discerning, interested in beauty, imaginative, open to mystical experience in the arts; and NOT just insist that our music has to be only macho and aggressive or else it's somehow inauthentic. Rubbish, and you ought to know better. The right balance is what I like.

To me, grunge embodied that balance.  The music was aggressive, robust, and there was a madness to it.  Yes, it was sloppy, but the sloppiness added to the emotional power.  Pounding music, guys (with long, flowing romantic hair) screaming, thrashing, throwing themselves into a teeming crowd to be tossed back up again.  Yet, as Mills pointed out on the other thread, the music was often melodic and sensitive, if tinged with cynicism, and they sang songs about Mother Earth, the downtrodden homeless, women trapped in abusive relationships, their own mental labyrinths.  This was masculine virility with intellect, and soul--and directed toward the feminine.  Not in a "oh baby I want to f*ck you" sort of way, like the hard rock bands of the two previous decades, but more towards the mystical feminine--the thoughtful, the sensitive, the vulnerable.  The early 90s seemed to me like a blast of Byronic Romanticism.

From wikipedia:
Quote: Historian and critic Lord Macaulay described the Byronic Hero character as "a man proud, moody, cynical, with defiance on his brow, and misery in his heart, a scorner of his kind, implacable in revenge, yet capable of deep and strong affection".

Sounds a bit like Kurt Cobain to me.  Well, maybe without the "implacable in revenge" part.  Substitute that for perverse sense of humor and self-destructive heroine addiction.  And ratty cardigan sweaters. Smile
I quite disagree, and will leave it at that Smile

Of course again, if you go by what the song is "about" (i.e. the words rather than the music; Byron wrote words too, not music), you may have a point, but a point that is irrelevant to me, because to me the music and sound counts more.

In the 60s, Marshall MacLuhan famously said, "the medium is the message." I pretty much agree. The music, not the words, are what counts the most.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
A big choir from Toronto sings songs from all 3 turnings, from The Beatles to Justin Bieber. Published on Aug 5, 2016
Turn off your mind and float downstream... 50 years of knowing, being, believing... Happy birthday to one of the greatest albums of all time.

comment:
fab4 2 days ago
Tomorrow Never Knows is my favorite Beatles song. Watching and listening to this gave me chills and tears. I love the age differences throughout the crowd. Loved this.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The generation gap does not always apply. It's too much money for me, but then, I missed Woodstock and Monterey too.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/03/de...oldchella/

When the lineup was announced, music fans could hardly believe their eyes.

The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan? Paul McCartney and Neil Young? Pink Floyd mastermind Roger Waters and The Who? All at one festival? Were they serious?

But even though the event is booked for a Southern California desert, the lineup is no mirage.

As Jerry Anderson, a 48-year-old San Jose native who now lives in Oakland, put it, “I don’t think they could put together a more epic lineup. Everyone on the bill is legendary.”

That’s why Anderson and scores of other Bay Area fans are traveling hundreds of miles and, in many cases, spending thousands of dollars to take in the Desert Trip music festival in Southern California’s Coachella Valley.

For them, it’s not just a music festival, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime rock ’n’ roll pilgrimage.

Pat Ireland, 49, says he’s “so pumped” to be bringing his two sons — Johnny, 17, and Maddox, 13. He sees it as a chance to bond over music that bridges the generation gap.

“I’ll pass by their rooms (at home) and my son is listening to Neil Young and I’m like, ‘Wow, that’s pretty cool,’” says the Brentwood resident. “They are smart kids.”

Johnny Ireland adds that grooving on The Stones or Pink Floyd is not a case of accommodating dad’s geezer music tastes.

“I feel like there is more passion (in classic rock),” he says. “I feel like there is more dedication that they put into their music. Most of the music now is just the same thing over and over again. Some of it is OK. But some of the older music just took a lot more work.”............

Yes, I agree, Johnny.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-04-2016, 01:20 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: “I feel like there is more passion (in classic rock),” he says. “I feel like there is more dedication that they put into their music. Most of the music now is just the same thing over and over again. Some of it is OK. But some of the older music just took a lot more work.”............

Yes, I agree, Johnny.

I agree also. "Most of the music now is just the same thing over and over again"....

[Image: img169.gif]
     [Image: img169.gif] Tongue
---Value Added Cool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pop Stars By Decade gabrielle 1 1,931 01-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green