Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Printable Version

+- Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory (http://generational-theory.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Fourth Turning Forums (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Current Events (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-34.html)
+---- Forum: General Political Discussion (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-15.html)
+---- Thread: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! (/thread-158.html)

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Classic-Xer - 02-25-2017

(02-25-2017, 12:41 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: 7. With all of that said, no government agency / religious zealots have no right what so ever to dictate what I put in my body. Can you agree to this? You have a business, right? Should government decide who you hire? Should government decide how you conduct your life? As for myself, should government decide what I do with my body? Should government decide how I conduct my life? Should religious organizations decide how I conduct my life? Here's my take. You should conduct your business in a manner that maximizes your profits and wellbeing. You owe nothing to snowflakes. You owe nothing to political correctness. If some snowflake tells you how to run your business, I'm with you. You have a right to ignore said snowflakes. Now for myself, I also demand the right to use any substance for any reason I think useful. Government has no right to interfere with my rights... or yours.
I don't care about what you put in your body. I don't care if the substance that you put in it is legal or illegal either. I view pot as a gateway drug because that's what is was with me. I (we) started out with harmless smoking pot. I (we) ended up getting involved in heavier and more addictive stuff later on. It's funny how burying a friend who was hooked on heavier stuff at an early age changes ones view of things like legalizing harmless/petty pot smoking.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Bob Butler 54 - 02-25-2017

(02-25-2017, 12:41 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: 5. Pot use was all over the place in the 1970's/1980's. I've also partaken in using other drugs. Like I said, I was in the "stoner" group. I've done it all. I've used booze, weed, speed, downers, etc. I can see regulation of stuff like speed/opiates/downers. Pot has a side effect profile that's a lot less harmful than booze. That's a scientific fact.

7. With all of that said, no government agency / religious zealots have no right what so ever to dictate what I put in my body. Can you agree to this? You have a business, right? Should government decide who you hire? Should government decide how you conduct your life? As for myself, should government decide what I do with my body? Should government decide how I conduct my life? Should religious organizations decide how I conduct my life? Here's my take. You should conduct your business in a manner that maximizes your profits and wellbeing. You owe nothing to snowflakes. You owe nothing to political correctness. If some snowflake tells you how to run your business, I'm with you. You have a right to ignore said snowflakes. Now for myself, I also demand the right to use any substance for any reason I think useful. Government has no right to interfere with my rights... or yours.

Hmm...  My instinct is to come at it from a different level in terms of theory of government.  I don't disagree with you in many ways, but the style of your argument seems to require comment.

At a top level, the will of the majority is checked by the rights of the individual.  Thus, when the government is doing something unpleasant, it is often tempting to argue one has a right, that thus the government has no power to breach that right.  In this case, you are proposing that the People have a right to decide what substances belong in said individual's body.

Where did this right come from?  Is it listed in the Bill of Rights?  Did nine old men on the Supreme Court invent this right out of thin air?  No.  The right simply doesn't exist save by the mighty power of wishful thinking.  Because you want control of your body doesn't mean there is any sort of legal right.

The states are sovereign.  Legislators can dictate the supposed will of the People.  The federal government is not sovereign.  In theory the federals only have powers specifically enumerated in the Constitution.  In practice, if a drug crosses a state line, they will invoke the commerce clause.  They will usurp power that was never intended to be given to the federal government.  That, however, is a battle lost.

I can see two plausible excuses for government intervention regulating recreational drugs.  The state has a responsibility to protect its citizens.  If a drug is dangerous enough to have a deadly or debilitating effect on the person using the drug, the state will presume authority to act.  Also, if a drug makes someone apt to harm others, or if a drug makes criminal acts likely, again the state will presume authority to act.  I see this as quite reasonable for the states, but don't see it as clearly enumerated in the Constitution.

I don't have a problem with the prescription system.  If a drug is potentially dangerous but has offsetting benefits, a trained professional ought to be overseeing the process of using the drug.

I tend to see marijuana as a reasonably benign recreational drug, quite similar to alcohol in the scale of its effect.  That booze is allowed and weed is not is much more a matter of cultural prejudice than any real danger.  Sure, there ought to be laws for stuff like driving under the influence of a mind altering substance, but that ought to apply regardless of the nature of the substance.

I agree with attempts to regulate stuff like stuff like speed/opiates/downers, but that line ought to be drawn by the will of the people, by ordinary legislation.  It shouldn't be written into the Bill of Rights.  I'm also dubious about prohibitions.  If people want the stuff they will generally have a way to get it.  The legitimate legal authority of a legislator to ban a substance generally does not result in the substance being banned.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Eric the Green - 02-25-2017

(02-25-2017, 06:43 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 12:41 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: 7. With all of that said, no government agency / religious zealots have no right what so ever to dictate what I put in my body. Can you agree to this? You have a business, right? Should government decide who you hire? Should government decide how you conduct your life? As for myself, should government decide what I do with my body? Should government decide how I conduct my life? Should religious organizations decide how I conduct my life? Here's my take. You should conduct your business in a manner that maximizes your profits and wellbeing. You owe nothing to snowflakes. You owe nothing to political correctness. If some snowflake tells you how to run your business, I'm with you. You have a right to ignore said snowflakes. Now for myself, I also demand the right to use any substance for any reason I think useful. Government has no right to interfere with my rights... or yours.
I don't care about what you put in your body. I don't care if the substance that you put in it is legal or illegal either. I view pot as a gateway drug because that's what is was with me. I (we) started out with harmless smoking pot. I (we) ended up getting involved in heavier and more addictive stuff later on. It's funny how burying a friend who was hooked on heavier stuff at an early age changes ones view of things like legalizing harmless/petty pot smoking.

Marijuana can be a "gateway" if people decide that it is. Someone might say, I like this "drug" OK, let's try another one.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Eric the Green - 02-25-2017

Laws against discrimination in hiring based on race, color or creed were passed after the civil rights movement. Later sexual orientation was added in some places, I think. As I see it, that's correct, and politically correct. There are many laws that affect how people conduct their business. Republicans are dismantling those laws. Sometimes it's good to delete them, but often they require conduct that ethical business people do anyway. Like not pollute, put out harmful products, treat workers badly, or secretly speculate with other peoples' money in ways that put it at risk. Such bad business practices are as rotten as any other crime.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - pbrower2a - 02-25-2017

(02-25-2017, 02:21 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 06:43 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:

Marijuana can be a "gateway" if people decide that it is. Someone might say, I like this "drug" OK, let's try another one.

The real gateway drugs are alcohol and cancerweed.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Bob Butler 54 - 02-25-2017

OK.  Reportedly, Trump is skipping the White House Correspondent's Dinner.  I guess the guy who wants to make the greatest collection of nukes in the world more potent is afraid of being made fun of?

What could possibly go wrong?

(02-25-2017, 08:47 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: OK.  Reportedly, Trump is skipping the White House Correspondent's Dinner.  I guess the guy who wants to make the greatest collection of nukes in the world more potent is afraid of being made fun of?

I don't think Seth Meyers will be invited this time.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Bob Butler 54 - 02-27-2017

(02-25-2017, 09:48 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: If aliens invade, what do we do if they say "take me to your leader"?

I have long thought that an alien species capable of getting to Earth, with enough xeno language skills to have learned "take me to your leader", would have scouted out the planet well enough to have figured out quite a lot of what is going on.

I wonder...  If they have really been watching us since the heyday of the 1950s UFO fads...   "Take me to your minority whip?"   Smile

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Marypoza - 02-27-2017

(02-25-2017, 09:48 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Trump sees more invisible people than the kid in The Sixth Sense!

If aliens invade, what do we do if they say "take me to your leader"?

-- l'd take him to Bernie : D

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Bob Butler 54 - 02-27-2017

(02-27-2017, 12:40 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 08:47 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: OK.  Reportedly, Trump is skipping the White House Correspondent's Dinner.  I guess the guy who wants to make the greatest collection of nukes in the world more potent is afraid of being made fun of?

Will he be the first President to skip since Presidents started to attend?

I believe Ronald Reagan missed one.  He had a decent excuse, though.   John Hinckley shot him.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Eric the Green - 02-27-2017

Trump sees more invisible people than the kid in the Sixth Sense

What if aliens invade and they say "take me to your leader!"

Yes, Bernie would be better.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - pbrower2a - 02-28-2017

(02-27-2017, 07:42 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 09:48 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: If aliens invade, what do we do if they say "take me to your leader"?

I have long thought that an alien species capable of getting to Earth, with enough xeno language skills to have learned "take me to your leader", would have scouted out the planet well enough to have figured out quite a lot of what is going on.

I wonder...  If they have really been watching us since the heyday of the 1950s UFO fads...   "Take me to your minority whip?"   Smile

The Pope has much more credibility to me than does the President. And I am not a Catholic.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - pbrower2a - 02-28-2017

President Donald Trump sat down for an interview with “Fox & Friends” and said that former President Barack Obama and “his people” are behind recent town hall protests.

In recent weeks, activists have planned protests at Republican lawmakers’ events around the country. Protesters have shown up at Democratic lawmakers’ events, too. Last week, demonstrators rallied outside an event featuring Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) after the senator did not hold a town hall meeting when Congress was in recess.

“I think President Obama is behind it because his people are certainly behind it,” Trump said in a preview of the interview. But, he said, “that’s politics, and it will probably continue.”

The president added that he also thought it was possible Obama and “that group” were behind “some of the leaks” coming out of the White House.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-blames-obama-political-protests_us_58b4ed9ee4b0780bac2cb726?

So what, even if it is true? It is the prerogative of an ex-President to try to make America GOOD again. President Obama never wanted and never got dictatorial power.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Bob Butler 54 - 02-28-2017

Extra!  Extra!  Startling news!  Read all about it!  Trump figures out that health care is complicated!

I'm pretty sure this one isn't false news.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Eric the Green - 02-28-2017

(02-28-2017, 09:46 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: So what, even if it is true? It is the prerogative of an ex-President to try to make America GOOD again. President Obama never wanted and never got dictatorial power.

It's interesting that the Republicans accused Obama of dictatorial abuse of power by ordering selective enforcement of immigration laws. The Court backed him up and the Supreme Court was deadlocked 4-4. Now Trump has ordered that the Affordable Care Act mandate not be enforced. What would the Courts say about that?

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Ragnarök_62 - 02-28-2017

(02-28-2017, 01:08 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Here I am, a resister from the Right. If only I had more time to do so, I might be one of the Town Hall demonstrators. I am definitely not one of "Obama's people!"

Trump, go screw yourself!

Angry

[Image: carbonresistor.jpg]

Calm down, man and just keep saying Ohm, Ohm.... Tongue

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Eric the Green - 03-01-2017

Published on Feb 27, 2017
Seth takes a closer look at President Trump's preparations to address Congress for the first time and his "agenda" thus far.

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Eric the Green - 03-01-2017

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Eric the Green - 03-03-2017

Rosie O'Donnell demonstrates why she is The Donald's favorite!

https://www.facebook.com/N2Sreports/videos/1321226524651900/

RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - Marypoza - 03-03-2017

(02-27-2017, 12:40 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 08:47 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: OK.  Reportedly, Trump is skipping the White House Correspondent's Dinner.  I guess the guy who wants to make the greatest collection of nukes in the world more potent is afraid of being made fun of?

Will he be the first President to skip since Presidents started to attend?

--- maybe Alec Baldwin could go in  his place