Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory
the best songs ever: the lost years - Printable Version

+- Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory (http://generational-theory.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Fourth Turning Forums (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Entertainment and Media (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: the best songs ever: the lost years (/thread-200.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 07-26-2016

Rooster? Ha! Spent half the video introducing the band.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 07-26-2016

I'm getting to Bob Dylan on the best songs ever thread. And I wondered if there were any after 1966 that I would pick. There must be some, but I know there is one. But his singing is not all that great in his later years.

Make You Feel My Love, 1997

Another version sung by Peter Head with lyrics listed
https://youtu.be/AdRGMabR_t8

Adele had a hit version in the first 4T years too. I'm not an Adele fan though.

Not a fan of Billy Joel either, but here goes
https://youtu.be/vEQGKY92KI4

It may be that the definitive version has yet to be recorded. I heard a friend play and sing it.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - MillsT_98 - 07-29-2016

The entire genre of grunge—it's actually pretty amazing. It's oddly melodic, although dark. I really like a lot of songs that sound grungy, especially ones that sound very musical. The Smashing Pumpkins, Temple of the Dog, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Stone Temple Pilots have a lot of great songs in their collection. I'll post some more songs by each of the artists (There's a limit on how many videos I can post so I'll post them as links):

The Smashing Pumpkins - Cherub Rock
Temple of the Dog - Say Hello 2 Heaven
Pearl Jam - Black
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
Nirvana - Come As You Are
Alice in Chains - Would?
Stone Temple Pilots - Plush

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - gabrielle - 07-30-2016

Pearl Jam's first studio album, Ten, was released in the summer of 1991, and became a huge success the following year.  Pearl Jam was second only to Nirvana those days.

Here is a couple of clips of them playing a festival in the Netherlands in 1992, performing two of their hits from this album.  

I saw them play Lollapalooza in 1992.  They toured with Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, Soundgarden and other great bands, what a show!  Lollapalooza was amazing--you didn't have to travel hundreds of miles to see the greatest bands of your time in one festival--the festival came to your town.

Lead singer Eddie Vedder was always doing physical stunts: besides stage diving and crowd surfing, which was very much a part of the grunge scene those days, he would climb stage structures to great heights and swing on them like Tarzan, worrying his band mates when they were still mourning the death of the singer of their former band, Mother Love Bone.  I remember watching him climbing above the crowd seated under the pavilion all the way to the back and waving at us out in the lawn while his band jammed.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - MillsT_98 - 07-30-2016

(07-30-2016, 12:14 AM)gabrielle Wrote: Pearl Jam's first studio album, Ten, was released in the summer of 1991, and became a huge success the following year.  Pearl Jam was second only to Nirvana those days.

Here is a couple of clips of them playing a festival in the Netherlands in 1992, performing two of their hits from this album.  

I saw them play Lollapalooza in 1992.  They toured with Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, Soundgarden and other great bands, what a show!  Lollapalooza was amazing--you didn't have to travel hundreds of miles to see the greatest bands of your time in one festival--the festival came to your town.

Lead singer Eddie Vedder was always doing physical stunts: besides stage diving and crowd surfing, which was very much a part of the grunge scene those days, he would climb stage structures to great heights and swing on them like Tarzan, worrying his band mates when they were still mourning the death of the singer of their former band, Mother Love Bone.  I remember watching him climbing above the crowd seated under the pavilion all the way to the back and waving at us out in the lawn while his band jammed.

Black and Jeremy are two of my favorite songs. I even posted Black in my last post.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 07-30-2016

The real genius of this era

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - MillsT_98 - 08-04-2016

(08-04-2016, 03:25 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 11:37 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(07-23-2016, 01:20 AM)gabrielle Wrote: Primus sucks!

From the 1991 release Sailing the Seas of Cheese.  There must be something about the mentality of the times that a band this weird could become as popular as they were.  Their 1993 album debuted in the top 10, they headlined Lollapalooza.  Would Primus have become popular today?

Fun crowd--

Tom Waits on this one as Tommy the Cat.

Hailing from Chico(ville) Primus have an odd combo of North Sacto Valley cowboy hayseed and college town eclecticism. They have quite the cult following here in Nor Cal including even here in the big bad City.

If you didn't already hit it, I'll post another Chico(ville) band later ... now I've got you guessing who! Wink

Much delayed ... as promised. Straight outta Chicoville:

What is this Chicoville you speak of? I've never heard the city of Chico, California be called that, if that's what you're talking about.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - gabrielle - 08-04-2016

A couple of songs from Lenny Kravitz's album Mama Said, released in spring of 1991.  (A break from the grunge--but I will be getting back to that, unfortunately for Eric  Wink .)

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 08-04-2016

Now that's more like it Gab. Real music, especially that first one, but I liked both. He was such a cute funky kid too. Lenny Kravitz-- a familiar name I don't know much about. Long successful career. Reading about him it seems like he brings forward the 2T tradition and develops it, just like the 2T artists built on what went before and expanded it. That's the way to do it. Grunge is "unfortunate," not just for me. I'm sure I speak for many. Off the deep end.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - gabrielle - 08-05-2016

(08-04-2016, 11:18 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Now that's more like it Gab. Real music, especially that first one, but I liked both. He was such a cute funky kid too. Lenny Kravitz-- a familiar name I don't know much about. Long successful career. Reading about him it seems like he brings forward the 2T tradition and develops it, just like the 2T artists built on what went before and expanded it. That's the way to do it. Grunge is "unfortunate," not just for me. I'm sure I speak for many. Off the deep end.

Definitely a retro sound on these two tracks, yes.  Glad you enjoyed something I like.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 08-05-2016

I noticed they called it "retro" in the wikipedia article on him. But if "retro" means that an artist is still interested in what makes real music, and "current" means just noise, then it's not really "retro," is it? I don't think so. He didn't sound like he was merely copying what others had done, either.

But yes I'm glad I enjoyed something you like. I hope I hear more. But whatever you enjoy, have fun.

I say, in my perspective, the more that musicians can bring the 2T forward, and develop it in new ways, or have been doing so, the better they are doing. The more they just reject and throw it over out of resentment against boomers or whoever, and express their rage in lousy sound, the worse they are doing.

That was true in the 2T as well; older traditions were developed and added to by the best 2T artists who created the Awakening music, like what I am posting on the best songs ever thread right now. They might have been falsely called "retro" too, when they resurrected old folk ballads, emulated older black R&B music, used symphonic and organ sounds or made use of big band jazz artists. There was plenty of pop that deserves to be forgotten created in the 2T period too, which did nothing but appeal to current appetites in order to be commercially successful.

Kravitz seems like a competent, sensitive and visionary artist, and a funky one. His visions expressed for peace and love in the world bring forward the visions of the Awakening, which is still what we need to make real in our world today.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - gabrielle - 08-05-2016

I wasn't aware that "retro" was considered an insult. I thought it just meant something with a style reminiscent of an earlier time. I wasn't saying he was derivative or unoriginal.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 08-06-2016

OK I read you

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - gabrielle - 08-06-2016

Acid House.

An early track from 1987, by Chicago DJ artists Phuture:

From Wikipedia:

Quote:Acid house is a subgenre of house music developed around the mid-1980s by DJs from Chicago. The style was defined primarily by the deep basslines and "squelching" sounds of the Roland TB-303 electronic synthesizer-sequencer.[1] Acid house spread to the United Kingdom and continental Europe, where it was played by DJs in the acid house and later rave scenes. By the late 1980s, acid house had moved into the British mainstream, where it had some influence on pop and dance styles.

Acid house brought house music to a worldwide audience...

And by the early 90s it was becoming mainstream in the US, too, to become the dance sound of the 90s.  Here are a couple of tracks from 1991

Since Eric has taken to quoting youtube comments (though reading most of them will cause you to lose brain cells):

From someone called "soulboy1965":

Quote:I'm 51 but was clubbing when I was 14, hitting the Northern Soul scene, then the gay scene where 4x4 beats were compulsory and straight guys didn't dance at all - then along came the magic pill and broke down barriers all over.  Long live House!

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 08-06-2016

Now you're on the right track Wink

That's good, I didn't know about those 3 artists. Of course, in this field there are thousands of them. A whole electronic universe.

When I first heard the rave sound in about 1991 or so, it was very primitive; not much more than beats. It quickly seemed to acquire more variety and innovative sounds. But I didn't know it went back to Chicago in 1987. I know it well as it influenced the ambient electronica sounds from the early 90s into the 2000s and today. In the two you have above, especially The KLF, it was blended with funk and soul. Nowadays of course EDM (electronic dance music) influences a lot of pop music. It origins also go back to that track by Klaus Schulze "Totem" (1972-73) that I posted on the best songs ever thread, and other cosmic rock European sounds, and in turn back to 60s psychedelia.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - gabrielle - 08-08-2016

(08-06-2016, 12:15 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Now you're on the right track Wink

Well, I'm not a caboose to be steered around.  Rolleyes  But again, glad you enjoyed something I posted.  You'll probably not like what I'm posting next.  Too bad, because I think it's about time for some bad ass girl rock.

"I know the Sugar Plum Fairy, her name is Mary..."

Kat Bjelland of Babes in Toyland is one of the mad geniuses (genii?) of the 90s.  A talented punk songwriter with a howling hell voice, with her drummer Lori Barbero and bassist Michelle Lyon (later replaced by Maureen Hermann, and most recently, a young Millie named Clara Salyer).  

From Fontanelle, released in 1992, this was probably the closest thing they had to a mainstream hit.  It was featured on MTV's Beavis and Butthead.  Smile 

From their first album, Spanking Machine, of 1989.

Live video in 1991, a song from the EP To Mother

Another from Fontanelle, live audio from 1993

From the 1993 EP Painkillers

Quote:90 damn days on the slave ship
Count 'em fallin' off 2, 3, 4 hun'ed at a time
Blood in the wood and it's mine
I'm chokin' on spit feelin' pain
Like my brain bein' chained
Still gotta give it what I got
But it's hot in the day, cold in the night
But I thrive to survive, I pray to god to stay alive
My attitude boils inside
And that ain't it (you think I'll ever quit)
Still I pray to get my hands 'round
The neck of the man with the whip

Wasn't really into rap, but I liked Public Enemy and this song.  From the 1991 album Apocalypse 91...the Enemy Strikes Back.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 08-08-2016

(08-08-2016, 12:15 AM)gabrielle Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 12:15 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Now you're on the right track Wink

Well, I'm not a caboose to be steered around.
You had steered yourself

Quote:  Rolleyes  But again, glad you enjoyed something I posted.  You'll probably not like what I'm posting next.

Not too much

I hope you have some more electronica to post. A lot to explore there.