Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory
the best songs ever: the lost years - Printable Version

+- Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory (http://generational-theory.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Fourth Turning Forums (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Entertainment and Media (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: the best songs ever: the lost years (/thread-200.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - gabrielle - 06-28-2016

Late 80s industrial music!  For when you want to feel angsty and existential while you dance.

(06-28-2016, 01:08 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(06-25-2016, 01:57 AM)gabrielle Wrote: Faith No More when Chuck Mosley was their front man.  The band went through a few lead singers in their early days, including, briefly, Courtney Love.  Fun song!  Not anything deep or heavy, lol.
Yes, that one was fun. Well, caring a lot is pretty deep, although they didn't act like they cared. But that was cool. Nice colorful video. I didn't like their other songs I sampled though.

I think they were probably being cheeky.
Quote:Eric the Green

Is this the R.E.M. album with the end of the world as we know it song? I usually like that group.

Does R.E.M. "stand" for Rapid Ear Movement?

Not sure why the band picked the name, but it might stand for rapid eye movement.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 06-28-2016

Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins and Wrapped Around My Finger by Police are tunes I recognize from the late 2T year, 1983. I like those, although not my choices for best ever.

Quote:Not sure why the band picked the name, but it might stand for rapid eye movement.

Sure, that's the obvious meaning yes.

(06-28-2016, 10:05 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 03:44 AM)taramarie Wrote: To make Eric's eardrums bleed. I know he will hate this one.

But i post because i like this song. I encountered it on Rockband.  Big Grin

Irony - FNM hailed from Eric's backyard, right here in the good old Bay Area! One of the more unique outfits to rise up from here.

More FNM coming from me to this thread soon, sadly for Eric.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - gabrielle - 06-29-2016

Continuing to 1989:

The Cure's "Disintegration" was, and probably still is, one of my favorite albums of all time.  Must be played loud!  (I think it actually said that on the cover somewhere--am I right, anyone????)

(06-29-2016, 12:23 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-28-2016, 11:53 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 03:44 AM)taramarie Wrote: To make Eric's eardrums bleed. I know he will hate this one.

Irony - FNM hailed from Eric's backyard, right here in the good old Bay Area! One of the more unique outfits to rise up from here.

More FNM coming from me to this thread soon, sadly for Eric.
Look forward to it. What are your thoughts on 30 seconds to Mars?

I'm not very familiar with their stuff, actually.  My knowledge of late 3T and 4T pop music is not as strong, though there are a few things I like here and there that I will later mention.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 06-29-2016

Remember I liked one of their songs, iirc. But no, you're right; this "song" is more decadent stuff from the worst pop era in history Smile For the most part.

The Cure have some good songs, I think. Those 3 don't resonate with me, although my ears aren't bleeding.

Shake your rump-ah!  Tongue

(06-29-2016, 12:46 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Remember I liked one of their songs, iirc. But no, you're right; this "song" is more decadent stuff from the worst pop era in history Smile For the most part.

The Cure have some good songs, I think. Those 3 don't resonate with me, although my ears aren't bleeding.

Merriam-Webster:

decadent
adjective  dec·a·dent \ˈde-kə-dənt also di-ˈkā-\
Popularity: Top 10% of words
Simple Definition of decadent
  • : having low morals and a great love of pleasure, money, fame, etc.
  • : attractive to people of low morals who are only interested in pleasure
  • : extremely pleasing
Extremely pleasing...yep!   Smile  And what is so immoral about it, anyway?  

Actually, this is not my favorite FNM song, though I like it.  "Epic" was their first big mainstream radio hit, from their 1989 album, The Real Thing.  By this time, the Gen Jones band had replaced their singer Chuck Mosley with the 21 year old, Core Gen X Mike Patton--who would remain the band's lead singer until today.  My favorite Faith No More album would later be released in 1992: Angel Dust--more on that later.

But still, since I'm covering 1989 right now, I will share a song I like from The Real Thing (though Eric probably won't like it, as it is a lot of noise--thrilling, exciting noise!  And about vampires!)

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 06-29-2016

By that definition, decadent means low morals, but I don't mean that. But it was just humorous exaggeration on my part. Well, not entirely exaggerated....

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Ragnarök_62 - 06-29-2016

My first 45.

See that black disk.  That is a 45.  It's made of vinyl and we used to play those on thingies called "record players". Big Grin

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Ragnarök_62 - 06-29-2016

This is one of the more mellow songs I like.

And here's one for the red/blue hissy fit.

(06-29-2016, 03:37 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 01:03 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: By that definition, decadent means low morals, but I don't mean that. But it was just humorous exaggeration on my part. Well, not entirely exaggerated....

If you don't mean it, don't say it. She got you this time. It just makes you look silly and it is not humorous. It is questionable and worthy of posting the definition to reveal the bull. Biased would be the magical word. Not decadence. But the word biased would be to describe you, not the music.

It's all good.  We're just playing around here.

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - gabrielle - 06-30-2016

(06-29-2016, 08:46 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Mid 3T. I got to see them at one of the WOMADs ... we had one at the Golden Gate Park Polo Field ... early precursor to Outer Lands. The sponsor of the festival Peter Gabriel also played a set. Good times:

BTW - those 'shrooms on that album cover? Hmmmmmmm ...... Cool

Yep, I remember that one, and this one:

And this one:  

90s club favorites!

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - gabrielle - 07-02-2016

More 1989:  Fugazi put out a kick ass compilation album this year, simply called "13 Songs."  

Back when it was cool for men to be feminists.

Couple more good ones from the same album:

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - gabrielle - 07-06-2016

This was a huge hit this year, a song originally written by Prince, as most everyone knows.  

I also remember liking this song from the same album.  Not an original song, of course; it is an old folk tune.  Also, she lifts (er, samples) a drum roll from a James Brown song.  But combined with her eerie, haunting voice it gives the song kind of a primal sound, and I like the jig at the end.

"Ritual de lo Habital" by Janes Addiction came out this year. 

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Ragnarök_62 - 07-06-2016

(07-06-2016, 03:50 PM)gabrielle Wrote: "Ritual de lo Habital" by Janes Addiction came out this year. 

Damn, they're prescient.

https://www.thestreet.com/video/13243564/wall-street-is-stealing-your-money-says-uninvested-author-monks.html

RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - Eric the Green - 07-06-2016

(06-29-2016, 06:37 PM)gabrielle Wrote: It's all good.  We're just playing around here.

Right. And it did make my ears bleed, as you predicted.

But You're so Vain? That's early 1973 (recorded in 1972). So Rags got his threads mixed up. Talk about over played; they really did a number on that one. But I liked it, so it was OK with me. And my friend got tired too-- of me reminding him that he always thought that the words in songs were about him, and that I was imitating him. And I remember that eclipse too.