Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory
What was the #1 hit on the day you were born? - Printable Version

+- Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory (http://generational-theory.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Fourth Turning Forums (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Entertainment and Media (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: What was the #1 hit on the day you were born? (/thread-270.html)

What was the #1 hit on the day you were born? - pbrower2a - 07-13-2016

What was the #1 hit on the day you were born (or on some other day?)

My birthday (December 14, 1955):

...I have never been in a coal mine.

It could have been something better than this on the day that Neil Armstrong set foot on the Moon (one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for Mankind):

Don't bother. Gimmick song by a one-hit wonder, and not very good.

It might celebrate something else, like Satan Incarnate blowing his brains out as the Soviet Army closed in on his lair (April 30, 1945):

Much more listenable.

The first one wasn't so great (January 1, 1900):

RE: What was the #1 hit on the day you were born? - Eric the Green - 07-13-2016

None of the songs posted by Brower work here.

RE: What was the #1 hit on the day you were born? - pbrower2a - 07-14-2016

my birth-date -- "Sixteen Tons". Tennessee Ernie Ford.

the day that Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon  -- "In the year 2525"... Zager and Evans. One-hit wonders with one gimmick song. Something well suited for the Memory Hole.

death of Adolf Hitler -- "My Dreams are Getting Better Every Day", Les Brown and his Orchestra, Doris Day and Friends... it is actually quite listenable. Well fitting the end of a Crisis era, as one of the worst nightmares that ever appeared in human form went to Hell that day.

the first date for which a song is available (January 1, 1900) -- "My Tiger Lily", Arthur Collins singing, pianist unknown. A ragtime piece... nice tune, but maudlin lyrics not helped by the primitive recording.  Tastes in popular music  just aren't what they were 116 years ago. Collins (1864-1933) was active from the 1890s to the 1920s, in case you are curious.

On September 24, 1929, a representative day in the 1929 Stock Market Crash,

Makin' Whoopee.

And on the Date that Will Live in Infamy (the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor);

The Chattanooga Choo-Choo (Glen Miller and his Modernaires)

RE: What was the #1 hit on the day you were born? - pbrower2a - 07-15-2016

[video=youtube]http://https://youtu.be/oz0fk3G7upQ[/video]

World War I officially ended on November 11, 1918.

"Tiger Rag", like most Dixieland music, was fun, suggesting that the Roaring Twenties were just around the corner. Tigers roar, allegedly (in truth, tigers do make something more like the howl of a dog than like the roar of a lion, only much deeper).

One of the most memorable standards ever.

It's unfortunate that, as destructive as World War II was, that it resolved nothing permanently.

The Day the Music Died (February 3, 1959) -- Buddy Holly, Freddy Valens, and J. P. Richardson took off on an airplane from Clear Lake, Iowa; the airplane didn't go far, and three of the most promising young stars of pop music died in the crash.  Pop music would never be the same.

The Platters, "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"

RE: What was the #1 hit on the day you were born? - gabrielle - 07-15-2016

(07-14-2016, 07:31 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: On September 24, 1929, a representative day in the 1929 Stock Market Crash,

Makin' Whoopee.

The financial crisis of 2007-2009.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:The active phase of the crisis, which manifested as a liquidity crisis, can be dated from August 9, 2007, when BNP Paribas terminated withdrawals from three hedge funds citing "a complete evaporation of liquidity".

One full saeculum (3T/4T cusp to another)... and 1929 and 2007 are the beginnings of nasty meltdowns with much the same cause. Different culture and technology, and people had no clue.

Good call on the date of the start of the critical meltdown.

Maybe the pop culture of a couple years from now will have similarities to that of the Big Band Era. Probably the best pop music ever, reflecting the omnibus culture of the late 1930s. Pixar and Dreamworks films seem to fit the model -- movies that an entire family can see together without going over the heads of the children or insulting the sensibilities of the sophisticated.

It also works for movies.

On my birth date the #1 movie was Guys and Dolls.

September 1, 1939, when Satan Incarnate transformed Poland into a veritable colony of Hell, starting the most destructive war in inhuman history. (The Women -- and I have never seen it)

Paradoxically, had the fascists seen the success of this movie on or about December 7, 1941, they might have recognized America as the lethal menace that it would have soon become -- even if it was a zany comedy. America may not have been spoiling for a fight, but it was certainly ready. That's how America was in late 1941 -- resolute,  united, easily motivated, and easily organized.