Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory
They finally like Gen X !!! - Printable Version

+- Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory (http://generational-theory.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Fourth Turning Forums (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Generations (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+---- Forum: Generation X (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+---- Thread: They finally like Gen X !!! (/thread-45.html)

They finally like Gen X !!! - Danilynn - 05-09-2016

Found an interesting article today.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bofa-employers-gen-xers-twice-195221822.html

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - Galen - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 07:46 PM)Danilynn Wrote: Found an interesting article today.

Probably because the Xers are tend to be competent and don't need much supervision.  The lack of an entitlement mentality is simply a bonus from the employer's point of view.

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - pbrower2a - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 08:13 PM)Galen Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 07:46 PM)Danilynn Wrote: Found an interesting article today.

Probably because the Xers are tend to be competent and don't need much supervision.  The lack of an entitlement mentality is simply a bonus from the employer's point of view.

I have found Generation X much more competent and creative than the media stereotypes. In the 1980s they were more likely to trust employers than any other generation, perhaps even believing the trickle-down rubbish.

But eventually they started griping about their exploitative employers (X wages took a tumble in real terms), if not to the employers that they fear, then to their Millennial kids. Such may explain why Millennials are least trusting of corporate power.

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - Kinser79 - 05-10-2016

I don't own a business but I do manage one, and fortunately my boss gives me the liberty to run the store the way I see fit. Of course it helps that my store is also the most profitable store, has the highest turnover in food and the employees are pleased cause we manage to get the highest tips too. (In that way I miss being hourly.)

By and large if given the choice to hire someone who is a Millie or an Xer I always choose the Xer. Why? Because with few exceptions they come in, they do their job, they don't complain too much, aren't covered in tattoos (a lot of our customers are older people and they look down on that sort of thing) and leave their bullshit drama at the door. In short I hire them because they have aged to the point that I don't have to worry too much about childish nonsense.

When it comes to donut finishers and bakers my crew is entirely Xer except for our weekend lady who is a Silent (but she's worked for Dunkin since God was a boy) because I don't have to actually design managers specials for them, they understand that the point is to use up whatever filling or frosting has been discontinued first, and then whatever other ring donuts we still have batter for or JBODs for but have been discontinued first, then a standard list of fillings that change each day. In short this means I don't have to micromanage the finishing/baking and they can be trusted particularly on overnights to round off the production quota to the nearest dozen. As for my Silent, I let her do as she pleases since she doesn't listen to me anyway.

When I've had Millies doing this job they literally have to stood over and directly managed during the day, and on overnights I would receive about half a dozen calls before the bagels would have been baked. Worse it seemed to me like they required praise for actually doing their job. If possible I try to limit them to the window and to the front counter.

As for boomers? I'm don't hire them. Of course it isn't like they're beating down the door for me to anyway--those with jobs already have decent jobs or jobs wherein they have locked in retirement packages (we don't offer that) and those who don't are largely already on retirement. I would hire them for front counter or the window though--not for finishing/baking though (well maybe a male boomer...that job requires upper body strength) unless they are only looking for a part time day position. I simply don't trust Boomers to work unsupervised based on my experiences with them when I was much younger.

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - disasterzone - 07-19-2016

In my experience, older generations assume every Millennial likes to be hovered over. I personally get very irritated and want to be left alone but they think just because I'm in this arbitrary generation I want it.  I don't like being watched and having people look for every little mistake.... Dodgy

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - Kinser79 - 07-24-2016

(07-19-2016, 10:32 AM)disasterzone Wrote: In my experience, older generations assume every Millennial likes to be hovered over. I personally get very irritated and want to be left alone but they think just because I'm in this arbitrary generation I want it.  I don't like being watched and having people look for every little mistake.... Dodgy

If you read my post I said the ones I've encountered are like that.  The ones I've hired have mostly been, how do I put this kindly--fucking incompetent.  That being said these same Millies are largely the bottom of the barrel as the smart ones typically leave the area either for school or for work elsewhere and I get stuck with the dregs.  Such is the nature of living in God's Waiting Room.

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - Odin - 07-24-2016

(07-19-2016, 10:32 AM)disasterzone Wrote: In my experience, older generations assume every Millennial likes to be hovered over. I personally get very irritated and want to be left alone but they think just because I'm in this arbitrary generation I want it.  I don't like being watched and having people look for every little mistake.... Dodgy

Supervisors hovering over me is a good way to get me angry in the "Minnesota Nice Passive-Aggressive" way. Big Grin  Angel

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - Warren Dew - 09-08-2016

If you don't like being hovered over, don't make the mistakes.  Simple as that.

(09-08-2016, 05:00 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 04:00 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
If you don't like being hovered over, don't make the mistakes.  Simple as that.
Being human is to make mistakes. It is part of the learning process so your comment is laughably ridiculous. Also you clearly have not lived in a millennial's shoes (ones who had helicopter parents). If you have those kinds of parents it is forced upon you from birth. You just now made a mistake and have now learned from it. Ta daaaa! Isn't generational learning fascinating? Big Grin

It's part of the learning process, I agree.  But the manager also has a legitimate interest in keeping the mistakes from causing too much damage, thus the hovering.  You can't legitimately complain about the hovering if you're making mistakes.

The learning process should mean you learn from your mistake and don't make it any more.  Unless you're a very slow learner, that means that in most jobs, you'll soon be avoiding mistakes, and the hovering will stop.  The bottom line is the same:  if you want the hovering to stop, stop making mistakes.

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - Odin - 09-08-2016

(09-08-2016, 07:02 AM)Warren Dew Wrote: It's part of the learning process, I agree.  But the manager also has a legitimate interest in keeping the mistakes from causing too much damage, thus the hovering.  You can't legitimately complain about the hovering if you're making mistakes.

The learning process should mean you learn from your mistake and don't make it any more.  Unless you're a very slow learner, that means that in most jobs, you'll soon be avoiding mistakes, and the hovering will stop.  The bottom line is the same:  if you want the hovering to stop, stop making mistakes.

People hovering around me causes me to make MORE mistakes.

(09-08-2016, 02:34 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 07:27 AM)Odin Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 07:02 AM)Warren Dew Wrote: It's part of the learning process, I agree.  But the manager also has a legitimate interest in keeping the mistakes from causing too much damage, thus the hovering.  You can't legitimately complain about the hovering if you're making mistakes.

Yep,you get it. It is the same as people watching me when i draw. Hence i try to draw in private. This Warren is so unrealistic it is insane. You learn from one mistake sure but there will always be something to learn and make a mistake from!!!

At a Dunkin' Donuts?  There aren't that many things to do that you can make mistakes on.  People who keep finding new ways to make mistakes on the same old tasks definitely deserve the term incompetent.

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - Einzige - 09-09-2016

I see our resident X'ers have joined the generation they profess to loathe - the Baby Boomers - in their favorite pastime, Millie-bashing.

That's quite alright. We outnumber you - what, two and a half to one? You won't be able to hide behind the voting power of the Silent and Red Boomers forever, amigos. The more difficult you make things for us now, the harder we're going to fuck you in the future. Keep that in mind.

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - Warren Dew - 09-09-2016

(09-08-2016, 04:47 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 03:19 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:

Yep,you get it. It is the same as people watching me when i draw. Hence i try to draw in private. This Warren is so unrealistic it is insane. You learn from one mistake sure but there will always be something to learn and make a mistake from!!!

At a Dunkin' Donuts?  There aren't that many things to do that you can make mistakes on.  People who keep finding new ways to make mistakes on the same old tasks definitely deserve the term incompetent.
Not just at work. Life in general. I mean do I really need to spell this out to someone who is older than I am. You are a boomer from what I read. Seriously, do I really need to explain that life around work will throw things at us that we learn from whether it is interactions from people, learning more about ourselves, our life journey, what we are meant for, learning from people, life mistakes...not just from work i mean sheesh use your head.

Oh, don't worry, I know about all that.  However, the current discussion was specifically in the context of Kinser79 finding employees for his donut shop. In life, continuing to learn should be a goal, even if it means continuing to make mistakes; in a specific job, fixing the mistakes should be the goal, even if that's only fully achievable in some jobs.

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - GenX420 - 11-20-2016

Gen X got a bum rap. I think we are very hard working and conscientious.

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - Kinser79 - 11-21-2016

(09-08-2016, 03:19 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:

Working fast food is not an easy task. Not from the management end or the production end.

Dunkin has perhaps the most streamlined production system imaginable, but some things require a great deal of forethought. Donut production in particular you have to start at a certain time to get your daily quota finished on time, and even then you have to juggle the demands of bought in, and in store produced items. It is not an easy task, furthermore in large part, for overnight finishers--they need to be able to do this with a maximum of two weeks of training and a minimum of supervision.

RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - Saint Stephen - 11-22-2016

(11-20-2016, 12:47 AM)GenX420 Wrote: Gen X got a bum rap. I think we are very hard working and conscientious.

Boomers had to have a place to project their shadow. Isn't that what Xers are here for?