Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory
The Coronavirus - Printable Version

+- Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory (http://generational-theory.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Fourth Turning Forums (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Current Events (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-34.html)
+---- Forum: General Political Discussion (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-15.html)
+---- Thread: The Coronavirus (/thread-6002.html)

RE: The Coronavirus - David Horn - 08-31-2021

(08-30-2021, 08:45 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(08-30-2021, 08:12 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: What we've got here is, failure to communicate. That's the essence of the covid crisis today. And those who are going to the hospital and dying of covid now, are "getting it."

Almost all of these new patients, over 100,000 new patients a day now in the USA, are unvaccinated. Chuck Todd on Meet the Press posted statistics that the 40 or so counties with the most covid infections voted for Trump by a 40% margin. The surge is concentrated in the southeast area of the country. Some Republicans seem to have decided that the best way to beat Biden and re-elect Trump is to stay unvaccinated and not wear masks. That way the covid crisis will grow, and Biden as the president gets the blame as his approval rating goes down. Biden is entirely blameless of course; this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated; the second-worst surge of the crisis.

Such Republicans seem to have decided that to go unvaccinated and unmasked and to protest mandates and masks is good political strategy. The pandemic gets worse then, and so Biden is blamed for what THEY themselves did. Many Americans can't discern the difference, because Americans of the USA are so willfully ignorant, as George Carlin called them. But this little bit of politicking may cost the deniers their lives. It is already costing the lives of many of their comrades. I guess they feel it's worth it. Nothing would be finer than to get their narcissist bully conman hero back in office. Maybe they just think if Trump is president, their taxes will go down again, and fewer immigrants will cross the border. Well, maybe there's no taxes in heaven, and God can paint the streets with gold anyway. It seems like the approach of the Muslim suicide bomber to me. Maybe they think they are martyrs for the cause.

Well, the Democrats spent a year telling minorities that evil whitey was trying  to kill them all and warning them against vaccination. It's mainly minorities who are getting sick now days. I think I've had three variations of COVID now. The first one sucked big time. The second one wasn't nearly as bad as the original. The third one was a piece of cake. I guess there's something to be said about getting sick and developing natural immunity. Here's your problem, the Democrats overly  politicized COVID, let a bunch of sick illegals enter the country  and now they're seeing the results of their own stupidity. Guess what, COVID is here to stay. Welcome to the 4T.

No, the message that the government can't be trusted with their health came to the Black community through direct experience.  How did the message that vaccines are bad come to the GOP faithful?  And why would you go through COVID at all, if the alternative was two jabs and a few weeks?  At the moment, GOPpers are the primary source of raging infection in places like Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Arizona, Missouri, and South Dakota.

Now to the mythical invasion of COVID from <insert the nation or region of choice>.  Yes, the virus did arrive from elsewhere: the UK (both Alpha and Delta).  The messengers were not illegals, but business travelers -- first time under Trump certainly and the second time under Trump most likely.  Perhaps we should seal the borders and let no one in?  Oh yeah, Trump was going to do that and didn't.  Who did do it: the Aussies and Kiwis.

RE: The Coronavirus - Classic-Xer - 09-01-2021

(08-30-2021, 08:52 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: NO, no such talk form Democrats occurred. Democrats told minorities to get the vaccine, along with everyone else. Many Republicans told people not to get them. It sounds like you refused. I guess you played your martyr role and survived. Congratulations. Now you will still have to pay higher taxes if Biden gets his way and you make more than $400,000 a year. Meanwhile Republicans continue to politicize covid in hopes the people will blame Biden for it.

Your only reply is to spread silly false slogans about Democrats letting sick illegals into the country. Covid came over here first from China and then from Europe. It most likely spread from the USA to Mexico, not vice versa. The USA is the sickest covid country in the world. We are the source for most of the covid in the world, and Republicans are the source of the continuing pandemic, because of people like you who refuse to get vaccinated.

YOU and people like you are the problem, not illegal immigrants.
The Democrats and their self induced border crisis are most likely directly responsible for the spread of the Delta variant throughout the country. I don't think it's a coincidence the recent surge in illegal immigration along the southern border and the recent spread of the Delta variant occurred within the same time period. BTW, I've already been vaccinated the old fashioned way and my natural immunity has already proven to be equal or greater than your man made immunity at this point. You're about do for a booster right. You better get one, I don't want to end up on a cold slab before the gloves come off.

(08-31-2021, 02:21 PM)David Horn Wrote: No, the message that the government can't be trusted with their health came to the Black community through direct experience.  How did the message that vaccines are bad come to the GOP faithful?  And why would you go through COVID at all, if the alternative was two jabs and a few weeks?  At the moment, GOPpers are the primary source of raging infection in places like Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Arizona, Missouri, and South Dakota.

Now to the mythical invasion of COVID from <insert the nation or region of choice>.  Yes, the virus did arrive from elsewhere: the UK (both Alpha and Delta).  The messengers were not illegals, but business travelers -- first time under Trump certainly and the second time under Trump most likely.  Perhaps we should seal the borders and let no one in?  Oh yeah, Trump was going to do that and didn't.  Who did do it: the Aussies and Kiwis.
Alpha made its way from the United Kingdom. Delta actually made its way for India. How many vaccinated people were unknowingly infected by the Delta and infected others? I know there was a bunch of vaccinated Democrats who fled Texas who were infected with COVID and infected others in Washington DC not to long ago. The vaccine isn't/wasn't a cure for COVID. You do understand that right. I'm not opposed to the vaccine or opposed to the idea of people getting vaccinated either. However, I don't view it as necessary for everyone at this point.

RE: The Coronavirus - pbrower2a - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 01:15 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 02:21 PM)David Horn Wrote: No, the message that the government can't be trusted with their health came to the Black community through direct experience.  How did the message that vaccines are bad come to the GOP faithful?  And why would you go through COVID at all, if the alternative was two jabs and a few weeks?  At the moment, GOPpers are the primary source of raging infection in places like Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Arizona, Missouri, and South Dakota.

How many vaccinated people were unknowingly infected by the Delta Variant and infected others? I know there was a bunch of vaccinated Democrats who fled Texas who were infected and infected others not to long ago. The vaccine isn't/wasn't a cure for COVID. You do understand that right, I'm not opposed to the vaccine or opposed to the idea of people getting vaccinated. However, I don't view it as necessary for everyone at this point.

The vaccine is more reliable than anything  else other than complete isolation.

RE: The Coronavirus - Eric the Green - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 12:24 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(08-30-2021, 08:52 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: NO, no such talk form Democrats occurred. Democrats told minorities to get the vaccine, along with everyone else. Many Republicans told people not to get them. It sounds like you refused. I guess you played your martyr role and survived. Congratulations. Now you will still have to pay higher taxes if Biden gets his way and you make more than $400,000 a year. Meanwhile Republicans continue to politicize covid in hopes the people will blame Biden for it.

Your only reply is to spread silly false slogans about Democrats letting sick illegals into the country. Covid came over here first from China and then from Europe. It most likely spread from the USA to Mexico, not vice versa. The USA is the sickest covid country in the world. We are the source for most of the covid in the world, and Republicans are the source of the continuing pandemic, because of people like you who refuse to get vaccinated.

The Democrats and their self induced border crisis are most likely directly responsible for the spread of the Delta variant throughout the country. I don't think it's a coincidence the recent surge in illegal immigration along the southern border and the recent spread of the Delta variant occurred within the same time period. BTW, I've already been vaccinated the old fashioned way and my natural immunity has already proven to be equal or greater than your man made immunity at this point. You're about do for a booster right. You better get one, I don't want to end up on a cold slab before the gloves come off.

Your idea that Biden is letting in immigrants is pure fantasy for politics. Probably ALL travel should have been suspended to and from the USA once the Delta variant began. You could say Biden dropped the ball on that one. But Biden has kept the southern border closed, so you and your Party's use of anti-immigrant hysteria for political purposes has no basis. Your herd immunity approach only spreads the virus, and getting it is very-poor protection compared to vaccines. You Classic are still vulnerable to get and spread the disease further. 

The vaccines are the best protection, but are not complete either; boosters will be needed perhaps forever, thanks to you and your Party calling covid a hoax (and you still DO) and saying it would just go away. Right now, we need everyone either fully vaccinated, including boosters when available, or fully restricted from public places, unless tested twice a week and having a medical exemption (which having had covid is NOT).

Even this may not work. Perhaps real life has ended for us, forever. I can't even see how sexual reproduction can continue, when no romance is any more possible. Well, covid is one way to control the human population, for sure. Trump allowing the USA to become the world's covid champion may be a noose around our neck from this day onward. Trump's (fraudulent and unfair) election was the greatest disaster ever to face this country and the world.

RE: The Coronavirus - David Horn - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 01:15 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:

Alpha made its way from  the United Kingdom. Delta actually made its way for India.  How many vaccinated people were unknowingly infected by the Delta and infected others? I know there was a bunch of vaccinated Democrats who fled Texas who were infected with COVID  and infected others in Washington DC not to long ago. The vaccine isn't/wasn't a cure for COVID. You do understand that right.  I'm not opposed to the vaccine or opposed to the idea of people getting vaccinated either. However, I don't view it as necessary for everyone at this point.

Yes, Delta originated in India, but the suspected disease vector in the US arrived from the UK.  Of course, Trump and Modi are buddies, so direct importation is possible.  On vaccines in general: they have two related purposes.  First, they make the individual less susceptible to becoming sick and, second, they immunize the community.  Goal two requires widespread vaccination, and saying it's a personal choice is getting more absurd by the day.  Would you say that about polio or smallpox?

Eric the Green
(09-01-2021, 12:24 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:

Your idea that Biden is letting in immigrants is pure fantasy for politics. Probably ALL travel should have been suspended to and from the USA once the Delta variant began. You could say Biden dropped the ball on that one. But Biden has kept the southern border closed, so you and your Party's use of anti-immigrant hysteria for political purposes has no basis. Your herd immunity approach only spreads the virus, and getting it is very-poor protection compared to vaccines. You Classic are still vulnerable to get and spread the disease further. 

The vaccines are the best protection, but are not complete either; boosters will be needed perhaps forever, thanks to you and your Party calling covid a hoax (and you still DO) and saying it would just go away. Right now, we need everyone either fully vaccinated, including boosters when available, or fully restricted from public places, unless tested twice a week and having a medical exemption (which having had covid is NOT).

Even this may not work. Perhaps real life has ended for us, forever. I can't even see how sexual reproduction can continue, when no romance is any more possible. Well, covid is one way to control the human population, for sure. Trump allowing the USA to become the world's covid champion may be a noose around our neck from this day onward. Trump's (fraudulent and unfair) election was the greatest disaster ever to face this country and the world.

What are they doing with all the illegal immigrants who are requesting asylum these days? What are they doing about all the illegal immigrants who aren't turning themselves in to authorities at the border these days? Are they refusing entry and sending them back to Mexico or are they taking them in and processing their requests and then releasing them on their own recognizance like they we doing while Obama was in office? I take it you haven't seen all the pictures of them that we have seen lately?

The Biden Administration, partisan blue hacks like you and the others and the Democratic party are equally responsible for the current wave of Covid infections across the country. Right now, you have a remnant group of GOP who are going along with the Democrats, playing the same game as the Democrats and providing political cover for Biden's blunders. So, where would you and the others be without the Trump vaccines today? How many of you would be alive today? As far as me (naturally vaccinated), I'm as vulnerable and as likely to spread it to others as you (unnaturally vaccinated) are today. I figure I had the Delta variant back in mid July. So, I'm pretty much immune to it right now and the next few months. I figure, I had the Delta variant back in mid July. So unlike you and the others, I'm pretty much immune to it right now. The real experts say natural immunity tends to last for several months. So, why does the Democratic tribe seem to be getting dumber (becoming more clueless) as the American tribe is becoming better educated and more informed these days.

(09-01-2021, 12:23 PM)David Horn Wrote: Yes, Delta originated in India, but the suspected disease vector in the US arrived from the UK.  Of course, Trump and Modi are buddies, so direct importation is possible.  On vaccines in general: they have two related purposes.  First, they make the individual less susceptible to becoming sick and, second, they immunize the community.  Goal two requires widespread vaccination, and saying it's a personal choice is getting more absurd by the day.  Would you say that about polio or smallpox?
I wouldn't say anything about polio or small pox because they're irrelevant and unrelated to COVID. Eric's right, the Democratic party has a major issue with communications these days. Do you have any idea of how many COVID variants are currently active within the US these days? Does Bumbling Fauci have any idea either? Delta is the new craze but is it really Delta or is it Brazil or other known variants getting American's sick these days. I assume that Delta is the most common of the variants right now.

(09-01-2021, 02:06 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: What are they doing with all the illegal immigrants who are requesting asylum these days? What are they doing about all the illegal immigrants who aren't turning themselves in to authorities at the border these days? Are they refusing entry and sending them back to Mexico or are they taking them in and processing their requests and then releasing them on their own recognizance like they we doing while Obama was in office? I take it you haven't seen all the pictures of them that we have seen lately?

The Biden Administration, partisan blue hacks like you and the others and the Democratic party are equally responsible for the current wave of Covid infections across the country. Right now, you have a remnant group of GOP who are going along with the Democrats, playing the same game as the Democrats and providing political cover for Biden's blunders. So, where would you and the others be without the Trump vaccines today? How many of you would be alive today? As far as me (naturally vaccinated), I'm as vulnerable and as likely to spread it to others as you (unnaturally vaccinated) are today. I figure I had the Delta variant back in mid July. So, I'm pretty much immune to it right now and the next few months. I figure, I had the Delta variant back in mid July. So unlike you and the others, I'm pretty much immune to it right now. The real experts say natural immunity tends to last for several months. So, why does the Democratic tribe seem to be getting dumber (becoming more clueless) as the American tribe is becoming better educated and more informed these days?

Vaccination immunity lasts 6-8 months or more. So we have your "natural" method beat. How many times can you survive attacks from the Delta variant?

Immigrants from south of the border are not gaining entry these days, because Biden has continued the Trump policy due to covid. You check it out, instead of just repeating your made-up story.

I already gave credit to Trump for supporting vaccines. That does not mean he escapes culpability for calling it a hoax in order not to create a panic when the pandemic started, and opening up the economy too soon. He has only recently said to his followers to get vaccinated. That's a start; he should say it more often. And YOU should listen to your leader.

Vaccines work. They worked to eliminate many diseases. They were 95% or more effective against covid, according to reliable stats that you ignore. They are less effective against the Delta variant from India, although so far it is the unvaccinated folks like you who have had to get sick from it and spread it. We will need boosters. But had India been vaccinated, Delta would never have happened. That was only 3 months after the first roll-out, though, and India is a big country. I'm not sure you can blame Biden for that. We can blame Angela Merkel and others for not making the patents available to nations like India that can make vaccines. Biden supported this. I would have liked Biden to have restricted travel to and from the USA as soon as the delta variant broke out. But folks like those in your Party would have called that socialism and cried foul.

If you continue to stay unvaccinated, maybe we won't see you here after a while. We didn't see you here for a while; I guess that's because you were sick. But if you get sick and go away, who are we going to argue with and vent our frustrations against and get insulted by? Xenakis is no fun and he sticks to his own thread. The other right-wingers don't come around too much anymore. I even forget their names.

(08-31-2021, 05:07 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: In education I expect the norm for people not mentally retarded to get at the least two years of inexpensive, if highly-structured, formal education beyond K-12. My suggestions for the syllabus:

1. basic philosophy -- so that people can learn how to think
2. economics -- microeconomics (consumer/worker/firm and macroeconomics (the overall economy) 
3. psychology  -- so that people can recognize scams 
4. world history -- rather recently I thought Spain in the 1930's a scary analogue for America
5. comparative religion -- to reduce the potential for religious bigotry
6. music and art appreciation -- nice use of time. These have kept me out of the mental ward. 
7. comparative political systems -- the consequences of the rejection of democracy
8. freshman composition  -- so that one can communicate effectively
9. foreign languages (start earlier -- one Romance, one Germanic, and one Slavic, one of which will have to be at the college level)
10. more literature
11. probability and statistics -- enough said on their importance  

Basically, as complex as our economic life and social realities are, our youth will need the basic liberal arts. Three languages? Learn one Slavic language even if it has a small population of speakers (Hello, taramarie!) exp-ands one's intellectual universe greatly. 

So what if it makes certain parts of the current political spectrum irrelevant? If it is the Trump cult -- great.

I would say we need more than appreciation for music and art. We can teach making art and music too. And that goes for creative writing too. I think basic liberal arts should include meditation training myself, and philosophy that teaches us not only how to think, but how to observe ourselves and perceive connections.

RE: The Coronavirus - pbrower2a - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 06:45 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 05:07 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: In education I expect the norm for people not mentally retarded to get at the least two years of inexpensive, if highly-structured, formal education beyond K-12. My suggestions for the syllabus:

2. economics -- microeconomics (consumer/worker/firm and macroeconomics (the overall economy) 
4. world history -- rather recently I thought Spain in the 1930's a scary analogue for America
6. music and art appreciation -- nice use of time. These have kept me out of the mental ward. 
7. comparative political systems -- the consequences of the rejection of democracy
9. foreign languages (start earlier -- one Romance, one Germanic, and one Slavic, one of which will have to be at the college level)
10. more literature

Basically, as complex as our economic life and social realities are, our youth will need the basic liberal arts. Three languages? Learn one Slavic language even if it has a small population of speakers (Hello, taramarie!) exp-ands one's intellectual universe greatly. 

So what if it makes certain parts of the current political spectrum irrelevant? If it is the Trump cult -- great.

I would say we need more than appreciation for music and art. We can teach making art and music too. And that goes for creative writing too. I think basic liberal arts should include meditation training myself, and philosophy that teaches us not only how to think, but how to observe ourselves and perceive connections.

The connection between the learning of music and achievement in mathematics and science is powerful. We could use an early start for kids. That should begin in early years.

(09-01-2021, 07:18 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 06:45 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

10. more literature

The connection between the learning of music and achievement in mathematics and science is powerful. We could use an early start for kids. That should begin in early years.

Yes indeed, and for me higher achievement in music would be the greater payoff.

RE: The Coronavirus - pbrower2a - 09-09-2021

9/2-9/8: <This Week>
Cases: 41,397,587 (+1,062,137 | ΔW Change: ↓10.01% | Σ Increase: ↑2.63%)
Deaths: 671,183 (+9,895 | ΔW Change: ↓14.86% | Σ Increase: ↑1.50%)

Back to the urban comparisons. At 671,183 deaths I can now add some other North American cities as considerations. COVID-19 deaths in the US alone have surpassed Kingston, Jamaica. I wonder what Bob Marley would have been treating COVID-19 had he lived long enough.

We are about to surpass Boston. the 24th-largest city of the United States as of the 2020 Census. I've been there; that was one of the best days of my life.

Potentially offensive.

[Image: 40f8be3b0986dc1d6ca9ab10817a228311816b95...=600&h=371]

[Image: be3f950f8f74a0f83ab0225020e62923073baff8...=600&h=402]

RE: The Coronavirus - Eric the Green - 09-09-2021

(08-09-2021, 12:01 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: 10 worst states in the Delta surge. All 10 voted for Trump in 2020, 9 are deep red states. Here are the new daily infections per 100,000 people as of Aug.6 and this Forbes report, and the percent of people vaccinated, in these states.
1. FL 132.2 less than 50%
2. LA 96.6 37.2%
3. OK 79.4 40%
4. AR 69.5 41.8%
5. MS 68.1 34.8%
6. AL 56.6 34.6%
7. MO 48.5 41.8%
8. AK 48.5 45.8%
9. SC 44.7 40.9%
10. TN 40.5 39.4%

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg....it%3Dscale]

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2021/08/06/travel-alert-states-high-risk-covid-19-delta-variant

Hard to believe, but Facebook thinks this post, which I put in a comment to an anti-vaxxer, is "hate".

Aren't we all right to hate the SARS-2 virus?

Deleted by the author for belonging in a different thread.

Vaccinations by ethnic group in Santa Clara County Sept.9
African Am. 68.46%
Native Am. 74.06%
Asian 100%+
Hispanic 69.62%
Multi-race 56.88%
Pacific Is. 100%+
White 69.61%
(other + unknown about 125,000, not included in total population, so might add to % of other groups)

By Generation:
Gen Z teens 72.56%
young millennial 87.60%
older millennial 99.83%
younger Xers 85.57%
core Xers through young Boomers 88.09%
core Boomers 87.17%
silent and war-baby 83.49%

Residents 12 and over, 1 dose: 1,502,252, 87.6%
2 doses: 1,412,356, 82.3%

https://covid19.sccgov.org/dashboard-vaccinations
see demographics 12+, right click on graphs

Covid new cases by country (new deaths) Sept.9:
USA 160,748 (1929) (Republican and anti-vax resistance)
UK 38013 (167) mandates lifted by Johnson and Tories
Brazil 30891 (747) incompetent neo-liberal trumpist leader Bolsonaro)
Iran 26821 (505) poor leadership
India 24148 (264) incompetent leader Modi
Turkey 23846 (257) incompetent tyrant Erdogen
Philippines 22820 (61) incompetent tyrant Duterte
Malaysia 19307 (323) close to India
Russia 18380 (794) incompetent tyrant Putin
Thailand 16031 (220) close to India
Mexico 15876 (879) close to USA
Germany 14228 (52)
Vietnam 12420 (272)
Japan 12398 (89)
Cuba 7747 (89) poor tyranny