Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory
Millenials blame parents for their laughable fragility - Printable Version

+- Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory (http://generational-theory.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Fourth Turning Forums (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Generations (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+---- Forum: The Millennial Generation (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+---- Thread: Millenials blame parents for their laughable fragility (/thread-83.html)

Millenials blame parents for their laughable fragility - Kinser79 - 05-14-2016

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/435355/millennials-political-correctness-fragility-parenting

Pulled this off the old forum before the shut down as someone made a thread there about it.  Normally I don't care for National Review but the article is interesting.

RE: Millenials blame parents for their laughable fragility - Mikebert - 05-15-2016

(05-14-2016, 07:20 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/435355/millennials-political-correctness-fragility-parenting

Pulled this off the old forum before the shut down as someone made a thread there about it.  Normally I don't care for National Review but the article is interesting.

I don't take articles like that seriously.  They are the same old "what's the matter with kids nowadays" stuff that older generations have always said about younger ones.  There was a lot of this 20-25 years ago about the GenXers.  They were the slackers who would never amount to anything and "super predators" who got locked up in record numbers.  What is different today is that stupid stuff that would stay on campus in the past now gets national attention, encouraging those engaged in it to keep on doing it. 

Really, is any of the stuff on campus today any more clownish than the Republican primary campaign this year?  Sure the campus SJWs are engaged in clownish behavior and display mighty thin skins, but they are kids.  What is Donald Trump's excuse?

One answer to this is: Trump's antics gained him billions of dollars worth of free advertising allowing him to handily defeat his opponents.  Well, the SJWs are likewise getting lots of attention.  And in the world of social media attention can be monetized.

RE: Millenials blame parents for their laughable fragility - Odin - 05-15-2016

(05-15-2016, 06:21 AM)Mikebert Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 07:20 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/435355/millennials-political-correctness-fragility-parenting

I don't take articles like that seriously.  They are the same old "what's the matter with kids nowadays" stuff that older generations have always said about younger ones.  There was a lot of this 20-25 years ago about the GenXers.  They were the slackers who would never amount to anything and "super predators" who got locked up in record numbers.  What is different today is that stupid stuff that would stay on campus in the past now gets national attention, encouraging those engaged in it to keep on doing it. 

Really, is any of the stuff on campus today any more clownish than the Republican primary campaign this year?  Sure the campus SJWs are engaged in clownish behavior and display mighty thin skins, but they are kids.  What is Donald Trump's excuse?

One answer to this is: Trump's antics gained him billions of dollars worth of free advertising allowing him to handily defeat his opponents.  Well, the SJWs are likewise getting lots of attention.  And in the world of social media attention can be monetized.

Also the prevalence of the more over-the-top and overly enthusiastic "SJWs" has been greatly exaggerated and sensationalized in order to delegitimize social justice activism, it is the modern equivalent of accusing all labor activists of being agents of the USSR.

RE: Millenials blame parents for their laughable fragility - Kinser79 - 05-15-2016

(05-15-2016, 06:21 AM)Mikebert Wrote: I don't take articles like that seriously.  They are the same old "what's the matter with kids nowadays" stuff that older generations have always said about younger ones.

Obviously you didn't read the article. The Article itself more or less laid the blame for the current antics of the college crowd at the feet of their parents rather than the kids themselves.

Quote:  There was a lot of this 20-25 years ago about the GenXers.  They were the slackers who would never amount to anything and "super predators" who got locked up in record numbers.  What is different today is that stupid stuff that would stay on campus in the past now gets national attention, encouraging those engaged in it to keep on doing it. 

Ah but the stupid stuff that supposedly stays on campus doesn't. There is a whole ideology surrounding this.

Quote:Really, is any of the stuff on campus today any more clownish than the Republican primary campaign this year?  Sure the campus SJWs are engaged in clownish behavior and display mighty thin skins, but they are kids.  What is Donald Trump's excuse?

I've yet to see Daddy actually display a thin skin. The usual suspects are just mad because he won't take their bait and then turns around and hooks them with it.

Quote:One answer to this is: Trump's antics gained him billions of dollars worth of free advertising allowing him to handily defeat his opponents.  Well, the SJWs are likewise getting lots of attention.  And in the world of social media attention can be monetized.

On the one hand I agree that the only answer to outrage culture is to be outrageous. (Goes and pays Milo his nickle.) On the other I've noticed a distinct pattern, Daddy says something outrageous, the commentariat says "this is the end of Trump!!@$$oneWE!" and his poll numbers go up. With the SJW they behave outrageous and people in the commintariat scoff at "Kids these days" and everyone else seems to think "Maybe Milo/Crowder/etc have a point."

As for the monitization that certainly does explain the cancer that is buzzfeed and the aids that is gawker.

RE: Millenials blame parents for their laughable fragility - Odin - 05-18-2016

(05-18-2016, 01:17 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: The fragility meme is outdated.

The oldest Millies have been facing harsh reality now for years, most especially vets. Also, more and more of the homeless I see are Millies.

There are now fonts of street knowledge, hard knocks, what have you, amongst Millies.

The Fragility meme and the "whiny entitled" meme is for the most part propaganda used to demonize Millennials for not accepting our lot in the corporate order and rationalizing it into a good thing like so many Xers did.

RE: Millenials blame parents for their laughable fragility - Kinser79 - 05-19-2016

(05-18-2016, 01:17 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: The fragility meme is outdated.

The oldest Millies have been facing harsh reality now for years, most especially vets. Also, more and more of the homeless I see are Millies.

There are now fonts of street knowledge, hard knocks, what have you, amongst Millies.

Vets have never had it easy except perhaps for the GIs. Just one of the many reasons I've started to think that maybe Heinlein was on to something in Starship Troopers.

RE: Millenials blame parents for their laughable fragility - Mikebert - 06-12-2016

(05-19-2016, 08:13 PM)Kinser Wrote: Vets have never had it easy except perhaps for the GIs. 

How do you know they had it easy?  Maybe they simply weren't spoiled like the younger gens.  Or maybe, just maybe, the New Dealers you disparage so much got a few things right.

RE: Millenials blame parents for their laughable fragility - pbrower2a - 06-12-2016

(06-12-2016, 04:49 PM)Mikebert Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 08:13 PM)Kinser Wrote: Vets have never had it easy except perhaps for the GIs. 

How do you know they had it easy?  Maybe they simply weren't spoiled like the younger gens.  Or maybe, just maybe, the New Dealers you disparage so much got a few things right.

I knew dozens of GIs, and I would not describe them as pampered through adolescence unless they were born into rich families. If they had life easy at any time, they made it easy for themselves.