Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory
Request for feedback - Printable Version

+- Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory (http://generational-theory.com/forum)
+-- Forum: About the Forums (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Forum feedback (http://generational-theory.com/forum/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Request for feedback (/thread-9.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Request for feedback - Dan '82 - 05-05-2016

What do you guys think about the forums so far?  Do you have any suggestions for forums that we don’t already have?

RE: Request for feedback - Bob Butler 54 - 05-05-2016

There are a few things I like over the old organization. You've given all generations a place. There is a potential divide between theory related politics and general politics. You have given Astrology a place. We'll have to see how well folks follow your leads. This board seems to have more features than Yuku. I'm good with it.

RE: Request for feedback - Kinser79 - 05-05-2016

I do like that astrology has been given its own forum.  That way if Eric shows up he can have a whole forum to himself.  Maybe we can lock him in there when the adults want to talk. Big Grin

Also we have more emoji on this forum and only one of them is the eye roll emoji.  My only concern right now would be with moderation.  Too much moderation we'll have problems, too little moderation we will have problems.  Personally I would favor absolute free speech excluding calls for criminal acts or out right libel.

We should put together a moderation team of people who wouldn't allow their ideological preferences dictate their moderation decisions.

We need a green circle around a black arrow pointing to the left as a post icon.

RE: Request for feedback - Dan '82 - 05-05-2016

(05-05-2016, 07:11 AM)Kinser79 Wrote: I do like that astrology has been given its own forum.  That way if Eric shows up he can have a whole forum to himself.  Maybe we can lock him in there when the adults want to talk. Big Grin

Also we have more emoji on this forum and only one of them is the eye roll emoji.  My only concern right now would be with moderation.  Too much moderation we'll have problems, too little moderation we will have problems.  Personally I would favor absolute free speech excluding calls for criminal acts or out right libel.

We should put together a moderation team of people who wouldn't allow their ideological preferences dictate their moderation decisions.

I do plan moderating a bit more than the old forum was moderated.  A significant problem at the old forum was thread drift; I plan on splitting threads (something that never happened at the old forum) that way discussions will be easier to follow without any censorship.  I’ll also be less tolerant of personal attacks than the old forum was.  I don’t plan on being that heavy with the moderation (I hate forums that are over moderated).  I do plan on adding other moderators at some point, but the level of moderation required at the old forum was actually pretty low.

(05-05-2016, 07:54 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: We need a green circle around a black arrow pointing to the left as a post icon.

I don’t plan on keeping the MYBB default as the style forever but updating it isn’t my first priority.

RE: Request for feedback - Earl and Mooch - 05-05-2016

Would it be possible to add a "View First Unread" link? Right now it seems like I have to scroll through an entire thread to get to what I haven't seen yet.

(05-05-2016, 11:56 AM)Earl and Mooch Wrote: Would it be possible to add a "View First Unread" link?  Right now it seems like I have to scroll through an entire thread to get to what I haven't seen yet.

The green arrow to the left of the thread topic should do it.

(05-05-2016, 12:20 PM)Dan Wrote:
(05-05-2016, 11:56 AM)Earl and Mooch Wrote: Would it be possible to add a "View First Unread" link?  Right now it seems like I have to scroll through an entire thread to get to what I haven't seen yet.

The green arrow to the left of the thread topic should do it.

See my attachment to see what I mean

RE: Request for feedback - Earl and Mooch - 05-05-2016

It works. Thank you.

The green seems to be a bit bright and saturated. I'd prefer a darker color scheme.

RE: Request for feedback - Bob Butler 54 - 05-08-2016

(05-05-2016, 01:15 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: The green seems to be a bit bright and saturated. I'd prefer a darker color scheme.

Thank you!

RE: Request for feedback - Mikebert - 05-09-2016

I don't think tables are supported.  At least when I pasted one in I got a long series like on T4T about 10 years ago.  You said something about having the ability to actual post articles.  How does that work?  Do I e-mail you a word document like I do with safehaven?  Do I paste in an html version?

RE: Request for feedback - Webmaster - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 08:23 PM)Mikebert Wrote: I don't think tables are supported.  At least when I pasted one in I got a long series like on T4T about 10 years ago. 

I'll see what I can do.

(05-09-2016, 08:23 PM)Mikebert Wrote: You said something about having the ability to actual post articles.  How does that work?  Do I e-mail you a word document like I do with safehaven?  Do I paste in an html version?

Once i get the Wordpress site up I'll grant authority to publish. It shouldn't be too long but getting the board up and running is my first priority, along with saving content from the old forums.

RE: Request for feedback - Eric the Green - 05-09-2016

It looks like this forum is good, much better than Yuku. I wonder if you have talked with Neil Howe about putting a link to this forum where the link to the old forum was on the fourthturning website. It would be good if new people can find us Smile

RE: Request for feedback - pbrower2a - 05-10-2016

Anticipating that we will get some scum and some responses to it, it might be a good idea to set a policy that responses to posts deleted by the Webmaster themselves be deleted.

Thus "great deals for (impotence pills)", which would be banned, which might entice someone to say "Spammer be gone!" will get the response "Spammer be gone!" deleted as well. This will ensure that people don't have their responses to spam, libel, hate speech, or copyright violations remaining on the Forum.

RE: Request for feedback - Kinser79 - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 02:36 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Anticipating that we will get some scum and some responses to it, it might be a good idea to set a policy that responses to posts deleted by the Webmaster themselves be deleted.

Thus "great deals for (impotence pills)", which would be banned, which might entice someone to say "Spammer be gone!" will get the response "Spammer be gone!" deleted as well. This will ensure that people don't have their responses to spam, libel, hate speech, or copyright violations remaining on the Forum.

Or better yet you could just not respond to obvious spam and just report it. On many forums I've managed, doing such a thing is itself considered spam and thus against the rules (unless of course it is in the mudpit where I let everything go within reason). I don't think it is the moderation team's responsibility to ensure that you (or anyone else) behaves, just deal with you when you (or anyone else) doesn't.

RE: Request for feedback - Webmaster - 05-11-2016

(05-09-2016, 08:23 PM)Mikebert Wrote: I don't think tables are supported.  At least when I pasted one in I got a long series like on T4T about 10 years ago.  You said something about having the ability to actual post articles.  How does that work?  Do I e-mail you a word document like I do with safehaven?  Do I paste in an html version?

I got the table Generator installed it's in the left column below the smiles; you fill out the table, click generate code, then cut and paste the code into the post.

RE: Request for feedback - Webmaster - 05-11-2016

(05-10-2016, 08:21 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 02:36 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Anticipating that we will get some scum and some responses to it, it might be a good idea to set a policy that responses to posts deleted by the Webmaster themselves be deleted.

Or better yet you could just not respond to obvious spam and just report it. On many forums I've managed, doing such a thing is itself considered spam and thus against the rules (unless of course it is in the mudpit where I let everything go within reason). I don't think it is the moderation team's responsibility to ensure that you (or anyone else) behaves, just deal with you when you (or anyone else) doesn't.

Yup it's best to report spammers rather than reply to them. They're easy to get rid of once they're reported.

RE: Request for feedback - Bob Butler 54 - 05-16-2016

Does the edit button vanish after a post has been up for a while?  I sometimes read my posts the day after and spot stupid typo and spelling problems.  I did so today, but couldn't find an edit button to correct them.