Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generations in general, between generations, etc.
Some fun news! This Fall Survivor will feature "Millennials vs. Gen X" as their competing team alliances. The trailer featured a lot of discussions about the two by each other, and why their generation is better and the other less likely to win, etc. So, Strauss and Howe becomes reality TV! 

Too bad Boomers are left out. Some boomers still compete on the regular shows, but they are less common now. I am not so easily reconciled with Boomers being less prominent, or even no longer considered the younger generation! The newer ones are so clueless about so many things. Not that many Boomers today have not also joined the Clueless America Club; they have! Just look at who supports the Tea Party and Donald Trump. But I have some hope for millennials at least in politics, if they learn some civics that is. And of course, a few pop Millennial pop icons as opposed to the grungy Gen X ones.

I still like Survivor and watch it regularly. The original reality TV show of our era, it does focus on real personalities in depth and how they deal with the rigors of the game. I don't like the other reality shows. But, with no money, talent, or real concern with intellectual and moral depth being present in Broadcast TV comedies and dramas today, Survivor is the only thing left to watch except PBS, oldies and game shows. And of course it's a game show too.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Hm, I guess that'll put the S&H theory of Nomads/Xers being more individual oriented and Civics/Millies being more team oriented...
Gen X might have an edge if being less supervised in life gives one an advantage in the Survivor Game. The whole concept is ultra-typical Gen X, and the host Jeff Probst is about the most hyper-archetypal Gen Xer that one could imagine, although it turns out he's a cusper born in Nov.1961.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(05-19-2016, 09:31 PM)Bronco80 Wrote: Hm, I guess that'll put the S&H theory of Nomads/Xers being more individual oriented and Civics/Millies being more team oriented...

My money is on Generation X, they have a gift for survival and tend to be really good at figuring things out.  It comes with the over developed sense of self-preservation so many of us have.  In fact they will probably do better at the endgame where team work is less of an issue.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Generations and Big 5 Personality JasonBlack 9 1,275 12-27-2022, 02:43 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Homophobia in different generations JasonBlack 2 710 07-23-2022, 07:46 PM
  Sub-Generations JasonBlack 3 985 05-07-2022, 11:33 PM
Last Post: galaxy
  The advantage of recessive generations JasonBlack 2 1,055 03-17-2022, 06:35 PM
  What are the Generations of other countries Phantom 0 911 12-28-2021, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Phantom
  Current anomaly: Five generations alive! Hintergrund 90 47,586 12-12-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Why do S&H start Civic generations so early? Blazkovitz 24 12,046 09-04-2021, 09:42 PM
  LPTs for the generations to live up to their archetypal role sbarrera 27 9,669 07-26-2021, 11:13 PM
  Is it typical for adjacent generations to not know each other all that well? nguyenivy 3 1,858 06-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Last Post: AspieMillennial
  Why cultural "generations" are flawed Ghost 14 7,131 06-17-2021, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Ghost