Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don’t Gens/turnings overlay?
What’s Strauss Howe’s argument for gen timelines being slightly different from turnings ?

I actually don’t think they argue that (though their dates prob argue it ) but I keep seeing it .

Artists are the children born in the 4th turning , that should be a direct overlay by its description .
This is also of course reason 1072 why Pew is wrong and dumb .
People born when they were 2 years old or younger when a change of turning occurred are assumed to be not expected to have any realistic memory of the conditions that prevailed during the turning in which they were actually born.

Personally, I would set the interval at more like 5-6 years, using the Catholic "use of reason" theory: Someone born in 1958 or later cannot expected to have any realistic memory of the 1T and everything the 1T entailed.

This is why people who were born from 1958 (when the "baby bust" actually began) onward are not Boomers.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(12-19-2020, 12:11 PM)jleagans Wrote: What’s Strauss Howe’s argument for gen timelines being slightly different from turnings ?

I actually don’t think they argue that (though their dates prob argue it ) but I keep seeing it .

Artists are the children born in the 4th turning , that should be a direct overlay by its description .

Because generations are not numbers. This is history, not math. A person's generation is determined by their lived experiences and memories, and how those shape them as a person. The years are simply estimates. The last Millennials, for example, are the last people who are old enough to remember the 2008 economic crisis, and/or the last people to finish high school before the year of online learning (not the three months of it in early 2020, the full year in 2020-2021). So that makes 2002 the best-fitting year for the last Millennial cohort, but there are always edge cases to every generational divide. There are undoubtedly Millennials born in 2004 and Homelanders born in 1999. History, not math.
2001, a very artistic hero and/or a very heroic artist
The most important years in our development are the years we don't remember, mainly 0-5. Our bias towards memories blinds us to this reality, but human development research is pretty unequivocal on this topic.