Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
the best songs ever
More awesome stuff from 1979.  I was of course 17 Big Grin

---Value Added Cool
(06-16-2016, 01:00 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: 1977 was the best year for pop music in the later 1970s. Another top album was Hotel California by the Eagles. Lots of people love that title song, but New Kid in Town is my pick for the best song of 1977.

I don't quite dislike the Eagles as much as the Dude does, but they are a little boring.  They don't stir a "fire in my breast!"  Big Grin
1978 (probably more to come, later):

I certainly agree that 1979 (or thereabouts) was the highway to hell. Let's see, the hostage crisis which led to the Reagan takeover. One year before Lennon (the catcher in the rye) was killed, along with our youth. Prop 13 was just passed, and anti-tax mania was spreading. Jonestown was turning alternative religion into murderous cultism in peoples' minds. And music was getting worse. Truly, we were on the highway to hell in 1979. Quite a horrible year, overall.

But Foreigner is OK.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-16-2016, 08:27 AM)gabrielle Wrote: I don't quite dislike the Eagles as much as the Dude does, but they are a little boring.  They don't stir a "fire in my breast!"  Big Grin

Get your own fucking cab! Wink lol

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Eric The Green Wrote:I certainly agree that 1979 (or thereabouts) was the highway to hell. Let's see, the hostage crisis which led to the Reagan takeover. One year before Lennon (the catcher in the rye) was killed, along with our youth. Prop 13 was just passed, and anti-tax mania was spreading. Jonestown was turning alternative religion into murderous cultism in peoples' minds. And music was getting worse. Truly, we were on the highway to hell in 1979. Quite a horrible year, overall.

But Foreigner is OK.
1. You forgot that 1979 was awesome since it was the year of Disco Destruction get together.

2. There's BC  - before crap [disco]   FM radio and KSTP skipping in from the Twin Citys Minnesota.  AM radio was crap since it was mostly country and western.  Blechhhh!!!!  Now, with Youtube, I can make DVD's of all the old awesome stuff since my tapes from the 1970's wore out long ago.

And of course all of the awesome stuff that came along in AD - After Disco.
---Value Added Cool
(06-16-2016, 01:06 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(06-16-2016, 08:27 AM)gabrielle Wrote: I don't quite dislike the Eagles as much as the Dude does, but they are a little boring.  They don't stir a "fire in my breast!"  Big Grin

Get your own fucking cab! Wink  lol

I love that movie...
Gabba Gabba Hey!  (more 1978)

1978 Big Grin

1976 wasn't one of the best years of the 2T. It was dominated by disco, which is generally beyond my consideration for my best song picks. But two well-known and award-winning ballads are my choices for best songs of 1976. They are performed by two singers who were long voted as the two favorite female singers by the people. First is Evergreen, a movie theme sung and co-written by Barbra Streisand.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The other best song is also a movie theme, performed in her magic voice by Diana Ross. Do You Know Where You're Going To.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I see that Gabrielle has gotten her own "fucking cab." No Eagles. That's good; I am not qualified to choose best songs from 1985 to 2009. I really don't know those years well enough, and from what I do know off hand, including what you guys have posted here since 1997, there aren't any pop or rock songs that I would choose as "best songs ever" from those years. OK songs? Maybe. But not best. Since our tastes are so different, that won't likely change on this forum. But I leave those years up to you, as I said. I do know one that I think I will post, though. But that is by an artist that is basically from the 2T.

By the way, I'm not going to be choosing any more Eagles songs as my picks. I also found before that I liked some songs by The Cure; from more recent times though I think.

As I go back in time, generally speaking, I am also going toward the best. Apparently, the earlier you go in our music history, at least back to Bach, the better it gets. With large ups and downs in between, of course. Our progress in technology and social equality has not translated into better culture; probably the reverse.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-17-2016, 04:11 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: I see that Gabrielle has gotten her own "fucking cab." No Eagles. That's good; I am not qualified to choose best songs from 1985 to 2009. I really don't know those years well enough, and from what I do know off hand, including what you guys have posted here since 1997, there aren't any pop or rock songs that I would choose as "best songs ever" from those years. OK songs? Maybe. But not best. Since our tastes are so different, that won't likely change on this forum. But I leave those years up to you, as I said. I do know one that I think I will post, though. But that is by an artist that is basically from the 2T.

By the way, I'm not going to be choosing any more Eagles songs as my picks. I also found before that I liked some songs by The Cure; from more recent times though I think.

As I go back in time, generally speaking, I am also going toward the best. Apparently, the earlier you go in our music history, at least back to Bach, the better it gets. With large ups and downs in between, of course. Our progress in technology and social equality has not translated into better culture; probably the reverse.

I don't hate the Eagles, I was just posting a funny video.  They're not one of my personal favorites, but they're OK.  Even if you had posted something I despised I wouldn't give a shit.  Anyone can post anything they want here (as long as it isn't hate speech or personal attacks, anyway).  I will continue to post songs I like from the 70s, 60s and earlier on this thread--you can't stop me!   Smile 

Yes, Bach is some of the finest music there is, but I don't think you can really compare classical with pop music--apples and oranges.  It would be like comparing Bach to the folk music of his time.
(06-17-2016, 01:36 PM)gabrielle Wrote: Yes, Bach is some of the finest music there is, but I don't think you can really compare classical with pop music--apples and oranges.  It would be like comparing Bach to the folk music of his time.

But classical will be included here in the "best songs ever" which is really the best music ever; it's all music. For me, there's considerable overlap. The best rock in my opinion has classical music qualities of some kind or other, and the best classical-- rocks! It all goes into the same ears, heart, body and mind.

Historically, classical and folk music overlap as well.

But we haven't gotten back to the best classical songs ever; off hand I'm not aware of any since 1942 that would qualify.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
1977: From the album "Exodus"

or

Got Moxy ? Big Grin 

---Value Added Cool

1977:

...not to be confused with:

...from 1980
(06-16-2016, 03:33 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
Eric The Green Wrote:I certainly agree that 1979 (or thereabouts) was the highway to hell. Let's see, the hostage crisis which led to the Reagan takeover. One year before Lennon (the catcher in the rye) was killed, along with our youth. Prop 13 was just passed, and anti-tax mania was spreading. Jonestown was turning alternative religion into murderous cultism in peoples' minds. And music was getting worse. Truly, we were on the highway to hell in 1979. Quite a horrible year, overall.

But Foreigner is OK.
1. You forgot that 1979 was awesome since it was the year of Disco Destruction get together.

2. There's BC  - before crap [disco]   FM radio and KSTP skipping in from the Twin Citys Minnesota.  AM radio was crap since it was mostly country and western.  Blechhhh!!!!  Now, with Youtube, I can make DVD's of all the old awesome stuff since my tapes from the 1970's wore out long ago.

And of course all of the awesome stuff that came along in AD - After Disco.

I like this one ^

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,383 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 340 267,462 08-22-2021, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green