Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
the best songs ever
1976:

Aw, I missed posting a good one from 1978

Can't really go past 1975 without giving a nod to this (though I've heard it so many times over the years)

I could never hear the appeal of those two pieces. Bohemian Rhapsody is very popular. I could never figure it. Myself, I think their other famous songs were better; though not my favorites either. Pink Floyd hit their peak in the late 60s.

Blondie seems appealing tho. Not familiar with her music. I actually debated whether to include Wherewolves of London in my little 1978 list. He was involved in a favorite song of mine back in 1966. So, you get a thumbs up for those two. Smile
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The Who put out an album in 1975, so naturally I will choose at least two songs from that. But before I get to them, here's an entirely different one that makes my list:

The hauntingly beautiful and ironically romantic piece I'm Not in Love by 10cc

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Mystical, psychedelic R&B. Like the above song too. Maybe a feature of the 2T. How Long Has This Been Going On?

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Electronic wizardry by The Who. In a Hand or a Face, Round and round. Doesn't matter to me that he knocks the wizardry that I use!

The song echoes an earlier Who song called "Circles"

"Isn't it funny" though, that the circle is the basis of astrology, and is the leading esoteric symbol! Round and round!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-18-2016, 04:02 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I could never hear the appeal of those two pieces. Bohemian Rhapsody is very popular. I could never figure it. Myself, I think their other famous songs were better; though not my favorites either. Pink Floyd hit their peak in the late 60s.

Blondie seems appealing tho. Not familiar with her music. I actually debated whether to include Wherewolves of London in my little 1978 list. He was involved in a favorite song of mine back in 1966. So, you get a thumbs up for those two. Smile

I like Syd Barrett Pink Floyd as much as later Floyd.
Who By Numbers was created at a time when Pete and the guys were going through some rough times. In his usual tendency for hyperbole, he spoke of the album as a suicide note. But though, as he said, that the direction of the album was negative, he also maintained correctly that the music was nevertheless of high quality. This one (However Much I Booze) is certainly first rate, and would certainly demonstrate that you can express problems and even cynicism with high artistry, beauty and psychological insight. Pete was great at that; that's for sure.

Pete had a tendency to drop some "dirty words" in his songs on occasion. Since Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction at the Super Bowl, USA broadcast media has been required to censor those words. I didn't even know until I read the comments on this video that this song had a dirty word. I would have to have re-recorded it, bleeping out the word in order to play it on my old radio show. Of course "Who Are You" was a hit before this obsession with "obscenity" took hold in the Dubya years of the culture wars, and they got away with singing "who the fuck are you?" Now I suppose it has to be censored every time it's played.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Slip Kid; "no easy way to be free"

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
1974 was the year after the peak of rock (1963-1973) ended; a let down by comparison. Those few songs from 1974 on my top 400-plus list were actually recorded earlier. Except, there is this one; not a BIG favorite, but at least it made my list at #306. Steely Dan were a good and popular 70s group, sometimes compared to The Eagles; but different too.

Now that we are about to get to the really good stuff, interest is switching back to the bad era. Well, people like what they grew up with. I am lucky to have grown up with the best. I just have good timing. That would figure, with me being a prophet and all. Yes, I know, that's just my opinion.

I know that the Rolling Stones put out Exile on Main Street that year, which was a good album. I didn't get to know it too well. I was already starting to switch my interest back to classical music and J.S.Bach organ music in 1974, as well as being pretty-much absorbed by The Who.

gabrielle mentioned Stevie Wonder; Songs in the Key of Life was a good album released in 1976.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-19-2016, 03:15 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: 1974 was the year after the peak of rock (1963-1973) ended; a let down by comparison. Those few songs from 1974 on my top 400-plus list were actually recorded earlier. Except, there is this one; not a BIG favorite, but at least it made my list at #306. Steely Dan were a good and popular 70s group, sometimes compared to The Eagles; but different too.

Now that we are about to get to the really good stuff, interest is switching back to the bad era. Well, people like what they grew up with. I am lucky to have grown up with the best. I just have good timing. That would figure, with me being a prophet and all. Yes, I know, that's just my opinion.

I know that the Rolling Stones put out Exile on Main Street that year, which was a good album. I didn't get to know it too well. I was already starting to switch my interest back to classical music and J.S.Bach organ music in 1974, as well as being pretty-much absorbed by The Who.

gabrielle mentioned Stevie Wonder; Songs in the Key of Life was a good album released in 1976.
Exile on Main Street was in 72.  I will later post my favorite(s) from that one.
(06-19-2016, 08:53 AM)gabrielle Wrote: Exile on Main Street was in 72.  I will later post my favorite(s) from that one.

So it was. I got the distinct impression otherwise. But I guess 1974 is just a rather poor year, in which its best songs were recorded earlier. Not much there. A preview of things to come. Nixon resigned. The first half of the Awakening was over; it's task accomplished. The dreary 2nd half began. In many ways, the second half of the awakening was a counter-awakening, or even a sleepening. Not entirely so, but to some extent. The Reagan "new wave." But I'm glad you know the album better than I.

Picking up one I forgot from 1977:
https://youtu.be/Wa6cbwz5LEI?t=43m13s

It doesn't have its own video; just the album. German space music or Kozmik Rock developed in the 1970s, and was influential on the new age, ambient and space music genres, but also on all electronic music in general, including today's electronic dance music, found even within pop from Britney Spears to Justin Bieber, but also in its own genre further developed in the 1990s rave scene and in the "panoramic music for panoramic people" genre explored in the 2000s on such labels as the French Ultimae Records. Cosmic Rock was influenced in turn by late 60s psychedelic rock, such as by The Beatles and Pink Floyd. The most prominent musical group of this genre in the 1970s named themselves Tangerine Dream after a Beatles lyric on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967).

One original member of this group was Klaus Schulze, who went on his own to create what many (including I) consider the best of this electronica genre, and the foundation of all that followed. Another member of this genre was Kraftwerk, which gabrielle posted earlier. In 1977, Schulze released two of his best works, this one entitled Moogtique from Body Love vol 2, and Crystal Lake from his album "Mirage." The greatest and most foundational piece in this genre I have posted before on the old forum; it's #1 on my new age/ambient list, again released in 1974 but actually recorded in 1972; also by "KS". So I will get to it soon again here. I myself only discovered it in 1980, on the radio program "Music From the Hearts of Space" Schulze was also influenced by the music of Richard Wagner.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
How could I forget this one?

1977:

I like Heart, but the one I would choose is most-likely this one: Magic Man
It has a brilliant melody. I think it was a big hit from 1977.

It is a mainstay from my old Bewitched Music program

I don't see it on my top 400 list, having discovered it later. But I bought the album, and it is probably an oversight not to have included it at least on my runners up list, if not higher.

Comment on the video: Christine Lavoie 6 months ago
Simply one of the best songs ever.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-20-2016, 02:12 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: I like Heart, but the one I would choose is most-likely this one: Magic Man
It has a brilliant melody. I think it was a big hit from 1977.

It is a mainstay from my old Bewitched Music program

I don't see it on my top 400 list, having discovered it later. But I bought the album, and it is probably an oversight not to have included it at least on my runners up list, if not higher.

Comment on the video: Christine Lavoie 6 months ago
Simply one of the best songs ever.

I like both songs pretty much equally.  Magic Man has a great melody, Barracuda has driving rhythm and power, a feminist anthem.
For many Gen Xers, rhythm, power and words (often angry) are enough. For some boomers like me, that isn't enough.

This song has all of those things and much more. It is desperation, anger, bravado and frustration that turns into bliss, with some help from intoxication. Dr. Jimmy and Mr. Jim is the climax of a story of a British teenager on a spiritual journey of growing up. The rock opera Quadrophenia is like a summation of the previous 10 years, and artistically the summit and finale of core-awakening rock music. That's why I say nothing since has approached it, and that Pray by Justin Bieber is the best song in all the years since 1973. But Quadrophenia is better, as are at least 30 or 40 others from the era, and this song is on the soundtrack of my life. Sometimes, the live versions are better, in some respects. #2 on my top 400 list.

Quadrophenia was also recently given to us in a classical version, arranged by Pete's current life partner, and broadcast on PBS.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
the best live version

Trailer/interview for Classic Quadrophenia
https://youtu.be/uKZ4ZyTbqio

Classic Quadrophenia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCBAeyD8...7sCFCR4OSL

Documentary
https://youtu.be/PYFI60wYh-M

Best rock album ever Smile

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,383 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 340 267,456 08-22-2021, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green