Tin soldiers and Nixon coming, four dead in Ohio
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I've got dreams to remember.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

I like Curtis Mayfield's music, but this one especially because the intro makes me laugh.

Mary Wilson and The Supremes

Stoned love
Stoned love, oh yeah

A love for each other will bring fighting to an end
Forgiving one another, time after time doubt creeps in
But like the sun lights up the sky with a message from above
Oh yeah, I find no other greater symbol of love

Yeah, don't ya hear the wind blowing?
Stoned love, oh yeah
I tell ya I ain't got no other
Stoned love
Oh yeah

And life is so short, put the present time at hand
Oh yeah, and if you're young at heart, rise up and take your stand
And to the man on whose shoulder the world must depend
I pray for peace and love, amen

Oh, can't ya feel it?
Stoned love
I tell ya I ain't got no other
Stoned love
Oh yeah

If the war 'tween our nations passed, oh yeah
Will the love 'tween our brothers and sisters last?
On and on and on and on and

Don't you hear the wind blowing?
Stoned love
Oh yeah
I tell ya I ain't got no other, whoo, whoo
Stoned love
Can't ya, can't ya, can't ya, can't ya, can't ya feel it?
Whoo, whoo, stoned love
Oh yeah stoned, stoned, stoned, stoned

Stoned love
Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Whoo, whoo, stoned love, oh yeah...

Read more: The Supremes - Stoned Love Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-29-2016, 01:36 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: I've got dreams to remember.

repost the video, it doesn't work
(06-29-2016, 11:32 AM)gabrielle Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 01:36 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: I've got dreams to remember.

repost the video, it doesn't work

Thanks. What it says to me is that the owner has disabled the video for use on other websites, so reposting will not change that; but you can click on the underlined portion of the notice here, and it comes up in another window on youtube.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The honors I personally bestow on this one include: best of 1969. Best of the sixties. #3 on my all time rock list. Greatest high experienced listening to a piece of music. Most requested piece on my own radio program. In part, source of my slogan.

Witchi Tai To gimera oranika oranikia hey ney hey ney no wah What a water-spirit feeling springin' round my head, makes me feel glad that I'm not dead.

Jim Pepper took this chant from his native people, allegedly used while smoking peyote. Jim was a well-known jazz artist and joined here for this group Everything is Everything by other excellent performers. The melody swirls around the chant. It has been covered many times by other artists.

Here is an especially charming version and video from the early 1980s:
https://youtu.be/gsHsPtX-1IQ

More on Jim:
https://youtu.be/YGaq0lmUli8

Part 2: "Jim's music keeps all our spirits alive!"
https://youtu.be/gXjhW4RnL2U

I think the bigger hit by Steam "Na NA Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" was partly inspired by this song.
https://youtu.be/jsaTElBljOE

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Speaking of music to get high by, this is #6 on my all-time list, from 1971.

The basis for the album's title "Moments" by Boz Skaggs.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Trippy flip side of Witchi Tai To: Oooh Baby by Everything is Everything.

comment on video:
MrMickeybitzko 5 years ago
It's great to hear this strange hippie erotic soft-rock confection again. Mellow-fuzzy. I like the mild funk topping and the meandering organ bubbles. I think Dicey and Paprika covered this also.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. Ummagumma version, 1969. #13 on my all time list.

Pink Floyd, co-inventors of the spacemusic genre.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The best (my favorite) song by the Rolling Stones, 1969

from Let it Bleed.

#16 on my rock list.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
To be honest, I'd have to admit that this was probably my favorite song of the 70s as I was living them--

Well, there was this one that was actually a good song.

Sung by Kermit the Frog on "The muppet movie"
Oscar nominated in 1979 for "Best score" & "Best song"

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Tommy (1969) was the first rock opera, I believe. A great if strange story of a spiritual journey, of a deaf, dumb and blind boy who became a guru, who was sexually abused, developed alternative senses, became a pinball wizard, got cured by the acid queen, dreamed of being a sensation, got a following, and then some followers deserted him because he imposed his own path to liberation on them. The opera had an instrumental overture, and a unique underture, which means I guess a musical picture of Tommy's inner life. The latter is a favorite of mine. It was also featured as part of "My Generation" on the Live at Leeds album. Like a number of Who and Pete's songs, it has the surf beat that Keith Moon brought into the group.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The song that made me a Who fan! Pinball Wizard

Overpowering in the way it brought to life the scenes in amusement halls and other hangouts! On my rock list, places at #10.

40 years to the day after they performed it at Woodstock, a flash mob in downtown San Francisco, apparently out of nowhere, enjoys the uplifting feeling and energy of this great song.

comment on video: Rebecca Hawke 4 years ago
This is one of the best songs ever written...by far!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The Tommy finale, and the main theme at the end. Pin Ball Camp was quite a scene in the movie!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I'm not quite through with 1969 yet, but it's time to mention the genre that we now call classic rock, and which began as progressive rock and soon was then known in the radio biz as album-oriented rock (AOR). You had to go to FM radio or buy the album to hear it. 1969-1971 for sure, and maybe a few years after 1971, was the early peak of this genre, with such albums as Tommy/Who's Next/Quadrophenia, the Led Zeppelin albums, Let it Bleed, The Moody Blues series of albums, Disreali Gears, Crosby, Stills & Nash & Neil Young, early Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead at their best, and many more. Meanwhile mainstream, top 40 or Billboard top 100 pop music was already declining from its mid-sixties peak, often dominated in the 1970s by bubble gum and later by disco, although there were some good pop and rock hits there too. But from my point of view, there wasn't much difference in mainstream pop between the 1970s and 1980s, and New Wave was even a bit of a relief from the disco era, with many different interesting styles old and new throughout the late 2T and into the early 3T. Meanwhile in album-oriented rock you had some of the best music ever in the early 70s era, and it's a great treat to be able to use this technology to bring it together in one place, even for an extremely small audience as here. At least I can enjoy the confluence.

After this peak came the era of the somewhat overproduced classic art rock of Electric Light Orchestra, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson, Yes and Genesis, Between, and so on; and then the relative mediocrity of Kiss, Queen, Rush, Aerosmith, and so on, and from there, AOR often devolved to levels even well below mainstream pop: heavy metal (like Ratt/Poison), grunge and hard-core punk. But AOR and pop in general was still a vast field that included fine groups like R.E.M. and Heart; and in the 3T, electronica, techno, new age and ambient, which was far superior to the more well-known heavy hard-core rock styles. Perhaps you can say that, to some extent, the original empetus for all that followed it was this peak of AOR and classic rock in the early 70s.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Next in my best songs picks, I choose Jefferson Airplane and the original Jefferson Starship with two songs by the late, great Paul Kantner. These would probably repel the anti-boomer right-wingers here, but what I like about these two songs are the melodies, rhythm, instrumentation, collective energy, uplifting feeling and exquisite vocals by Paul and Grace Slick. But it was also one of the first "supergroups" that included Crosby and Nash and others. The original version of Let's Go Together in 1970 referred to "wherever I go, I see you people" meaning his fellow left-wing hippies. 
https://youtu.be/53WPcHogkRk?t=8m16s
"Whatever you do, I want to do." The message of these two songs was, however, to do more than "stand around" but to make the dreams real, to get together to do something great for the world and keep the hopes of the love-ins alive. "Wave Goodbye to Amerika, say hello to The Garden."

Jefferson Starship went on to greater success, but not greater artistic achievement, than Jefferson Airplane, with lots of personnel changes from the original. Blows Against the Empire was one of the first concept albums. Here's a description from the video:

Review by William Ruhlmann [-] Allmusic

Paul Kantner's debut solo album actually was credited to Paul Kantner/Jefferson Starship, the first use of the Starship billing, predating the formation of the group with that name by four years. Kantner used it, extrapolating on the name of his current band, Jefferson Airplane, to refer to Blows's science fiction concept: A bunch of left-wing hippies closely resembling his San Francisco Bay Area compatriots hijack a government-built starship and head off to re-start the human race on another planet. Kantner had presaged this post-apocalyptic colonization idea on Wooden Ships on the last Airplane album, Volunteers, and here he expanded it out to album length with the help of members of The Airplane, the Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and Crosby, Stills and Nash, plus assorted others, a shifting supergroup informally known as PERRO, The Planet Earth Rock And Roll Orchestra. (Kantner later would borrow that name for a subsequent solo album.) Blows actually was a little loose as concept albums go, seeming as concerned with the arrival of Kantner and Grace Slick's baby as with the departure of the starship. Kantner employed often dense instrumentation and complex arrangements, but there were enough hooks and harmonies to keep things interesting. Blows eventually went gold, and it was even nominated for a science fiction award usually reserved for novels.

Also released was a version that referred to Poo instead of "you people," to give it an appeal beyond hippie core boomers.

Let's Go Together was a follow up to "We Can Be Together," the revolutionary apologia and musical incendiary opening song from Volunteers (of America) by Jefferson Airplane (1969), which they performed at many rock festival be-ins, and included the now-censored slogan "up against the wall, motherfucker." It has similar melodic/rhythmic construction and cool harmonies to the follow up.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Right after We Can Be Together on the Volunteers album was my second-favorite Jefferson Airplane song (and my fave from the album), which is an arrangement of a traditional Christian gospel tune by guitarist Jorma Kaukonen. Anti-hippies don't like it, but for me it captures the feeling of the love-ins and hippie communes better than almost anything. "Can't you hear, my land's a-callin' Oh Good Shepherd, feed my sheep."

Another great song from Volunteers, not playable on the radio, written and sung by Grace Slick: Eskimo Blue Day
https://youtu.be/d7epbdQ4YYI
all about how Nature can't be disturbed by human follies.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,383 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 340 267,457 08-22-2021, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green