Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
the best songs ever
One more, I think, from 1965 Wink

(well, it turns out there's more below)

The son of Jerry Lewis is also very talented, and got together some of his musician friends and a great production team and made this great song, and it was #1 for me and a monster #1 hit on the charts early in the year. Really a jewel!

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Back into 1964, one of the great breakthrough years; the beginning of the 2T. Enormous youthful creative energy powered by the British invasion, plus Motown, surf sound, girl pop, still-strong older 1T pop, emerging folk-rock and folk, even a huge jazz/broadway hit, and more; a convergence year of pop cultures. Let's start with one from the end of the year that has become one of the most-played and loved standards in history; #1 for weeks and weeks and weeks in late 1964- early 1965; only a runner up on my list, but I can't ignore it. Phil Spector (with a little help from Sonny & Cher too) gets a lot of the credit, and he's not a very nice guy, but he helped make pop music beautiful in these years with his expert arrangements, musical and voice teams, and production. To a large extent, we've lost that, I think; just as "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27ve_L..._Feelin%27

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
My second-favorite Motown and Supremes song, I loved it immediately because of their closely-preceeding monster hit that made me a fan. It broke through the Beatles' hit "I Feel Fine" to hit #1 on the national chart, though it never came close in San Francisco.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I already posted the cover of Bringing It All Back Home, which is my favorite Bob Dylan album. Apparently it was released in early 1965, so, back to 1965! The siamese cat apparently mentioned in the lyrics of "Like a Rolling Stone," and pictured on the album cover of Bringing It All Back Home, was named "Rolling Stone."

My favorite song from the album is Mr. Tambourine Man; apparently the Byrds breakthrough single was released almost immediately afterward. The Byrds' version was another of the big hits in early 1965 and became a big favorite, launching the "folk-rock" genre I like so much along with Dylan's album. I didn't hear the original Mr. Tambourine Man until about late 1966 or early 1967 on that "Mustard Seed" radio program I mentioned earlier. Not long afterward I bought it on Dylan's Greatest Hits album.

The first version of the original was written in Feb 1964 though, apparently revised in the Summer, and finally recorded in mid-January 1965, according to this lengthy, interesting wikipedia article about the album and its background.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bringing_It_All_Back_Home

The original Mr. Tambourine Man quickly became one of my all time favorite songs; it declined somewhat later on, but is still in the top 50 of my list, and is still my favorite Dylan song. Of course there's lots to say about a Dylan song like this. The article covers it well though.

Pete Seeger introduces Bob at the 1964 Newport Folk festival, Thursday, July 23, 1964 - Sunday, July 26, 1964
https://youtu.be/OeP4FFr88SQ
from the wiki album article:
Written sometime in February 1964, "Mr. Tambourine Man" was originally recorded for Another Side of Bob Dylan; a rough performance with several mistakes, the recording was rejected, but a polished version has often been attributed to Dylan's early use of LSD, although eyewitness accounts of both the song's composition and of Dylan's first use of LSD suggest that "Mr. Tambourine Man" was actually written weeks before. Instead, Dylan said the song was inspired by a large tambourine owned by Bruce Langhorne. "On one session, Tom Wilson had asked [Bruce] to play tambourine," Dylan recalled in 1985. "And he had this gigantic tambourine … It was as big as a wagonwheel. He was playing, and this vision of him playing this tambourine just stuck in my mind." Langhorne confirmed that he "used to play this giant Turkish tambourine. It was about [four inches] deep, and it was very light and it had a sheepskin head and it had jingle bells around the edge—just one layer of bells all the way around … I bought it 'cause I liked the sound … I used to play it all the time." In addition to inspiring the title, Langhorne also played the electric guitar countermelody in the song, the only musician to play on the song besides Dylan. A surrealist work heavily influenced by Arthur Rimbaud (most notably for the "magic swirlin' ship" evoked in the lyrics), Heylin hailed it as a leap "beyond the boundaries of folk song once and for all, with one of [Dylan's] most inventive and original melodies." Riley describes "Mr. Tambourine Man" as "Dylan's pied-piper anthem of creative living and open-mindedness … a lot of these lines are evocative without holding up to logic, even though they ring worldly." Salon.com critic Bill Wyman calls it "rock's most feeling paean to psychedelia, all the more compelling in that it's done acoustically." Almost simultaneously with Dylan's release, the newly formed Byrds recorded and released an electrified, abbreviated treatment of the song which would be the band's breakthrough hit, and would be a powerful force in launching the folk rock genre.

Note that the "countermelody" is one of the greatest things about the song, but you have to hear the recording to hear it, and it's not allowed on you tube.

"Mr. Tambourine Man"

Hey ! Mr Tambourine Man, play a song for me
I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come followin' you.
Though I know that evenin's empire has returned into sand
Vanished from my hand
Left me blindly here to stand but still not sleeping
My weariness amazes me, I'm branded on my feet
I have no one to meet
And the ancient empty street's too dead for dreaming.

Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship
My senses have been stripped, my hands can't feel to grip
My toes too numb to step, wait only for my boot heels
To be wanderin'
I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade
Into my own parade, cast your dancing spell my way
I promise to go under it.

Though you might hear laughin', spinnin' swingin' madly across the sun
It's not aimed at anyone, it's just escapin' on the run
And but for the sky there are no fences facin'
And if you hear vague traces of skippin' reels of rhyme
To your tambourine in time, it's just a ragged clown behind
I wouldn't pay it any mind, it's just a shadow you're
Seein' that he's chasing.

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Bob Dylan himself cited this song as the high point of his inspiration.

From the article:

One of Dylan's most ambitious compositions, "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" is arguably one of Dylan's finest songs. Clinton Heylin wrote that it "opened up a whole new genre of finger-pointing song, not just for Dylan but for the entire panoply of pop", and one critic said it is to capitalism what Darkness at Noon is to communism. A fair number of Dylan's most famous lyrics can be found in this song: "He not busy being born / Is busy dying"; "It's easy to see without looking too far / That not much is really sacred"; "Even the president of the United States / Sometimes must have to stand naked"; "Money doesn't talk, it swears"; "If my thought-dreams could be seen / They'd probably put my head in a guillotine." In the song Dylan is again giving his audience a road map to decode his confounding shift away from politics. Amidst a number of laments about the expectations of his audience ("I got nothing, Ma, to live up to") and the futility of politics ("There is no sense in trying"; "You feel to moan but unlike before / You discover that you'd just be one more / Person crying"), Dylan tells his audience how to take his new direction: "So don't fear if you hear / A foreign sound to your ear / It's alright, Ma, I'm only sighing."

"It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)"
(lyrics as heard in this version)

Darkness at the break of noon
Shadows even the silver spoon
The handmade blade, the child's balloon
Eclipses both the sun and moon
To understand you know too soon
There is no sense in trying.

Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn
Suicide remarks are torn
From the fools gold mouthpiece
The hollow horn plays wasted words
Proved to warn
That he not busy being born
Is busy dying.

Temptation's page flies out the door
You follow, find yourself at war
Watch waterfalls of pity roar
You feel to moan but unlike before
You discover
That you'd just be
One more person crying.

So don't fear if you hear
A foreign sound to you ear
It's alright, Ma, I'm only sighing.

As some warn victory, some downfall
Private reasons great or small
Can be seen in the eyes of those that call
To make all that should be killed to crawl
While others say don't hate nothing at all
Except hatred.

Disillusioned words like bullets bark
As human gods aim for their mark
Made everything from toy guns that spark
To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
It's easy to see without looking too far
That not much
Is really sacred.

While preachers preach of evil fates
Teachers teach that knowledge waits
Can lead to hundred-dollar plates
Goodness hides behind its gates
But even the President of the United States
Sometimes must have
To stand naked.

An' though the rules of the road have been lodged
It's only people's games that you got to dodge
And it's alright, Ma, I can make it.

Advertising signs that con you
Into thinking you're the one
That can do what's never been done
That can win what's never been won
Meantime life outside goes on
All around you.

You lose yourself, you reappear
You suddenly find you got nothing to fear
Alone you stand without nobody near
When a trembling distant voice, unclear
Startles your sleeping ears to hear
That somebody thinks
They really found you.

A question in your eyes is lit
Yet you know there is no answer fit to satisfy
Insure you not to quit
To keep it in your mind and not forget
That it is not he or she or them or it
That you belong to.

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to.

For them that must bow down to authority
That they do not respect in any degree
Who despise their jobs, their destiny
Speak jealously of them that are free
Cultivate their flowers to be
Nothing more than something
They invest in.

While some on principles baptized
To strict party platforms ties
Social clubs in drag disguise
Outsiders they can freely criticize
Tell nothing except who to idolize
And then say God Bless him.

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.

But I mean no harm nor put fault
On anyone living in a vault
But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Old lady judges, watch people in pairs
Limited in sex, they dare
To tell fake morals, insult and stare
While money doesn't talk, it swears
Obscenity, who really cares
Propaganda, all is phony.

While them that defend what they cannot see
With a killer's pride, security
It blows the minds most bitterly
For them that think death's honesty
Won't fall upon them naturally
Life sometimes
Must get lonely.

My eyes collide head-on with stuffed graveyards
False goals, I scuff
At pettiness which plays so rough
Walk upside-down inside handcuffs
Kick my legs to crash it off
Say all right, I've had enough
What else can you show me ?

And if my thought-dreams could been seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Bob Dylan's first hit single was a rock n roll song, track one of the album. The lyrics are a tour de force, but I didn't like the music. But my friend had the single, and I borrowed it and turned it over. And on the back is a glorious (and arguably his most poetic) song about a freewheeling, artistic lady who has no hangups at all; track 2 on the album. And I played it over and over because it was hauntingly and mystically beautiful. Post productions cover version:

Bob live:
https://youtu.be/5Ca7xMkWZuc

Maybe if you belong to spotify or google play you can find the recording, which you have to hear to get the full experience.

I could only wish that she belonged to me. Or was me. I don't know if she really belonged to Dylan; he was so disillusioned with other ladies in his songs! The title of his movie "Don't Look Back" comes from this song.

She's got everything she needs
She's an artist, she don't look back
She's got everything she needs
She's an artist, she don't look back
She can take the dark out of nighttime
And paint the daytime black.

You will start out standing
Proud to steal her anything she sees
You will start out standing
Proud to steal her anything she sees
But you will wind up peeking through her keyhole
Down upon your knees.

She never stumbles
She's got no place to fall
She never stumbles
She's got no place to fall
She's nobody's child
The Law can't touch her at all.

She wears an Egyptian ring
That sparkles before she speaks
She wears an Egyptian ring
That sparkles before she speaks
She's a hypnotist collector
You are a walking antique.

Bow down to her on Sunday
Salute her when her birthday comes
Bow down to her on Sunday
Salute her when her birthday comes
For Halloween buy her a trumpet
And for Christmas, give her a drum.

https://play.google.com/music/preview/Tx...=kp-lyrics

A similar song was created by The Doors in 1966-67:
Twentieth Century Fox

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The movie is from 1965, but the broadway song is from 1959. So which date do I attribute it to? Oh dear, can Julie answer that one for me? Rodgers and Hammerstein, Do Re Mi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do-Re-Mi

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Bob Dylan and the Beatles met late in August 1964, and influenced each other. The Beatles went in the folk-rock direction in 1965, and late in 1964 the Something New album came out, which gave an indication of this direction. So did their eagerly-awaited first hit since their movie A Hard Day's Night, "I Feel Fine," which came out in December. On this version of Things We Said Today, from Something New, the guitar parts are not as sharp as on the original.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The Beatles did a lot of R&B covers in their earlier years. I thought this one was very strong and sharp, although I understand why people like "Twist and Shout" more. But "Slow Down" and give this one a try. We thought it would be a hit single, but it wasn't. Taken from Something New, along with its lively flip side with Ringo singing, "Matchbox." "Slow Down" follows the traditional R&B chord progression of 1 1 4 1 5 4 1, as do a lot of old rock n roll songs; even Dylan's Rainy Day Women does. This version is by a tribute band. Original is "not allowed" on you tube. It's a good facsimile though. It's a pretty basic song; not too hard to duplicate.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The best example of the Motown Sound, this song made me a fan of The Supremes and The Sound in Fall 1964. It took a few weeks for me to fully realize that I liked The Supremes. It didn't take the people long though, because the previous hit Where Did Our Love Go, their first #1 hit, had prepared the way that Summer, but I wasn't quite on board. Baby Love soared to the top of the charts immediately, and for a while remained the most beloved Supremes song. And not that long ago, it was voted all time #10 at our local SF oldies station, well above other Supremes songs, and behind only Smokey's gender-oriented pair of wonderful hits among the Motown sounds. Until it apparently disappeared, a video of "Baby Love" was the most viewed by far among Supremes songs, and again behind only My Girl and a couple of other classic sixties Motown songs.

lyric video
https://youtu.be/3t5ZhoF1WBE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Love

"Baby Love" was my all time #1 song from 1965 until 1967. I now rank it #15 on my all-time 400 list.

Recently, a lyric from this song was appropriated by Justin Bieber and his co-writer "The Dream" for his mega hit "Baby" in 2010.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Another song from the Fall of 1964 competed with Baby Love for #1, and on one station they were even almost tied. I was routing for the Supremes, of course, but this British invasion group started a trend which I celebrate on my web page: bewitched music. I got to like it better, and post it here now.

Here's what I wrote on my page:

"Bewitched Music entered rock'n'roll in the mid-1960s, just as the pagan and occult revival began in our culture. A SF Bay Area DJ of the time, "Morgan," noticed around Halloween 1964 that songs of a darker, ghostlier style had become popular. This was when a whole group of performers with mysterious-sounding names came on the scene simultaneously: The Zombies, The Searchers, The You Know Who Group, The Who, and The Guess Who. Then in 1965 came Them, and also the Yardbirds, the pioneering predecessor to Led Zeppelin, many of whose members were themselves occultists. The psychedelic years, 1966-67, produced many great examples of bewitched tunes, and I had already noticed the similarities among them. In 1966 I used Lee Mallory's "That's the Way it's gonna Be" as the basis for a spooky, home-made Halloween tape which I played for approaching trick-or-treaters. Since then, many other fine and rather obvious examples of Bewitched Music have appeared in rock."

This song was at the fount of this trend in rock music. It's called "She's Not There" by the Zombies.

https://youtu.be/CKBRc8zNQ30

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27s_Not_There

I don't think I need to post all the lyrics, but for years I mis-heard this line. You know, they're British and all...
"The way she acts and the color of her hair"

video comment:

This is one of those songs that just takes root in your brain and never goes away. I remember when it was a hit in 1964, and 51 years later, I sometimes find that I am singing it to myself as I walk down the street -- and I still know the lyrics. Oh yes, it is firmly implanted in my brain. I assume at some point, I will be lying in a nursing home, not quite sure who I am, unable to recognize visitors, but in some quiet moment, I will be singing this song to myself, and I will still be word perfect on the lyrics. It's a great song, but beware of it.

My comment: That's because it's bewitched! As I wrote on my webpage, "bewitched music casts a spell on you as you listen"

more typical comments on the video (the second one): (lol!)

LeoSlikk 3 months ago
This song is better than 99.5% of music these days.

Jason Desjardins 1 month ago
Hell yeah and I was born in 1997

idcaf 2 weeks ago
I was born in the wrong century!! CURSE YOU 21st century!!!

Jeff Zekas 2 weeks ago
Heard this song last night at LaVelle Vineyards, played by a local band... very cool... memories....

Daniel Muniz 2 days ago
The Zombies > The Beatles

John Walker 4 months ago
112 Bieber fans got lost (referring to the dislikes on the video)

Hilmi krzB 12 months ago
lol

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
WatchMojo's picks for the top Bob Dylan songs
https://youtu.be/BG8y0rRYjEI

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Two more happy and upbeat British invasion goodies from the Fall of 1964:

Have I The Right by the Honeycombs
Do Wah Diddy Diddy by Manfred Mann

Cockney Red 2 years ago
everyone stamped their feet at the chorus,same as the dave clark five and glad all over.great memories as a kid,fantastic music was everywhere,in everyones house.the tv was never on and there were parties at someones house every weekend.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Roy Orbison was one of the greatest singers ever. This was his last #1 hit, and it was a biggie. But it was also known for its guitar riff and pretty piano sounds, as well as it cool melody and pounding rhythm.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh,_Pretty_Woman

The original Orbison song inspired the title for the 1990 feature film, Pretty Woman starring Richard Gere and Julia Roberts. The film featured the song, licensed from Orbison's publisher Acuff-Rose.

I also liked this imitation song by Bobby Goldsboro a lot: Little Things (Spring 1965)
https://youtu.be/rcJjuKiB0Dk

It was my favorite song by him. The girl singers add a neat touch.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I know you are not at 63 yet but.....

and one more i would like to add. A beautiful song called Leah. I will add after this lot.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Crying is one of my picks, but it goes back to 1961 I believe. I'll listen to the others. Great singer.

wikipedia says: The song was released as a 45-rpm single by Monument Records in July 1961 and reached No. 1 on the United States Cashbox chart for a week on October 7, 1961, and peaking at No. 2 on the rival Billboard Hot 100. Despite not reaching the summit in the latter publication, Billboard ranked the record as the No. 4 song of 1961
Crying was a big hit!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crying_(Roy_Orbison_song)
I might try to find a video with a better speaker balance when we get to 1961.

Leah-- pretty good. vaguely remember.

The flip side of Crying was "Candy Man", also a hit, and the one written by Fred Neil (who did "The Dolphins," my #4 all-time, 1966).
The Crying wikisite also lists "Running Scared" and "Dream Baby, How Long Must I Dream" as his hit records that preceded and followed "Crying" I liked those too. An early favorite was "Only the Lonely."

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(08-06-2016, 12:31 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Crying is one of my picks, but it goes back to 1961 I believe. I'll listen to the others. Great singer.

A couple of them are from 1962 but the rest no. All early 60s and are my choices for his songs. I mean heck i love all of his songs. I have an album of his that has all of his songs. He is so class and creates the most beautiful and sensitive songs.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Considered one of the greatest Motown songs, Dancing in the Street was co-written by Marvin Gaye. DJ Morgan (whom I quoted on the Bewitched page) said "you hear it everywhere." It reached #2 on the US national charts in early Fall 1964. It was meant (according to several interviews with Martha Reeves that I heard) to encourage people who were going through a long hot summer of riots to be peaceful and dance instead. She considered it an honor to have participated in this song. Ironically, The Rolling Stones in 1968 made an answer song called "Street Fighting Man," using a few words from the Motown song, to celebrate the revolutions of that year. But the Mamas and Papas covered the song in 1966 and used it as theme music for love ins in 1967. Mike Jagger of the Rolling Stones later teamed up with David Bowie for a hit cover in 1985. Different folks have used the song for their own purposes, but clearly it's for getting together whether for peace [/i]or[/i] for rebellion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_in_the_Street

Like the other songs from Motown/Gordy that I heard at first, it took some time for me to appreciate this one, but it finally struck me as extraordinarily experiential immersion experience into what the words describe. It is perhaps the most elaborate, sensitive and expertly produced example of the Motown Sound, which is appropriate, considering its idealistic purpose to bring folks together in celebration. Martha Reeves gave the song its distinctive melodic shape with her vocal styling. It's a lot more than the usual song about lost love or romance. It's a landmark in music, and it's right up there on my list along with my favorite two Supremes songs.

Among other things, it's the most recognizable example of the mixolydian mode, because of the lower 7th tone.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I dread to think what a "love in" is.... Confused
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 480 113,968 09-02-2019, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Ragnarök_62
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 75 21,940 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green