Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
the best songs ever
Quote:Kind of Blue has been regarded by many critics as jazz's greatest record, Davis's masterpiece, and one of the best albums of all time. Its influence on music, including jazz, rock, and classical genres, has led writers to also deem it one of the most influential albums ever recorded. Kind of Blue was one of fifty recordings chosen in 2002 by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry, and in 2003, it was ranked number 12 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kind_of_Blue

An Unforgettable classic

released 1952
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I still have my Kind of Blue LP that I bought in 1960 (I also have the CD purchased, of course, many years later.

Pax.

Dave Krein '42
I like portions of Coltrane, and agree with his stature; but I was dissappointed with Kind of Blue by Davis; I listened all the way through, and I note but cannot myself credit or agree with its plaudits. But, since we are back in 1959 with jazz, I will offer Dave Brubeck "Take Five." As I mentioned, The Doors seemingly used it at the start of the 2nd guitar/organ part of the instrumental portion of Light My Fire.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

My piano teacher taught me this one when I was about 9. I loved it. (1951 Broadway, 1956 film; melody first composed c.1949)
Getting to Know You, from The King and I, by Rodgers and Hammerstein

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getting_to...You_(song)

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-09-2016, 11:24 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I like portions of Coltrane, and agree with his stature; but I was dissappointed with Kind of Blue by Davis; I listened all the way through, and I note but cannot myself credit or agree with its plaudits. But, since we are back in 1959 with jazz, I will offer Dave Brubeck "Take Five." As I mentioned, The Doors seemingly used it at the start of the 2nd guitar/organ part of the instrumental portion of Light My Fire.

Coltrane played some of the sax on Kind of Blue.
(09-09-2016, 10:17 PM)davidkrein Wrote: I still have my Kind of Blue LP that I bought in 1960 (I also have the CD purchased, of course, many years later.

Pax.

Dave Krein '42

That's cool!  I have a fellow retail worker to thank, years ago, for first turning me on to all these jazz greats.  One of those stupid, brute-like retail workers, as pbrower considers us to be--this one, though, was also a musician.  I wonder what happened to him?
I can't agree with Kind of Blue. But i will post Thelonious Monk's magnum opus when we get there. You didn't like Take Five? Much better than Kind of Blue.

Which may be soon, as I don't know as much about this era. I hope pbrower can help fill us in.

Meanwhile, this academy award winner and big 1950 #1 hit by the greatest singer ever (who was also a great jazz pianist).

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-11-2016, 11:46 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I can't agree with Kind of Blue. But i will post Thelonious Monk's magnum opus when we get there. You didn't like Take Five? Much better than Kind of Blue.

Which may be soon, as I don't know as much about this era. I hope pbrower can help fill us in.

Meanwhile, this academy award winner and big 1950 #1 hit by the greatest singer ever (who was also a great jazz pianist).

I like "Take Five."  It is one of the most popular jazz tunes from that era.  

And Nat King Cole was a great singer, of course.  One of my mother's favorites, I believe.  I think pretty much everyone liked him back in the fifties, and he is fondly remembered today.
1949 and 1948 must have been some of the weakest years in pop music history, and I can't find any classical, jazz or show tune goodies from those two years either. Very tame, conventional and un-imaginative-- the 1st turning at its worst. At least as far as I can tell. There were probably some good jazz pieces, but I'll jump back to 1947/1944 for Round Midnight by Thelonious Monk. This was probably included in the 1966 concert gabrielle posted; I didn't listen to that all the way through yet, and I don't know which songs are called what on that video. I see that he opens with "Lulu's Back In Town," which is from the first 2T year, 1964, but the original is by Fats Waller in 1935. Maybe to be posted when I get there.

" " 'Round Midnight" is the most-recorded jazz standard composed by a jazz musician" says the video uploader. I doubt it would be a favorite of mine, but at least it's something "cool" from the late forties. Monk was clearly a leading jazz artist of this time, and into the sixties.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
While I wait for anyone else to post an unlikely "best song ever" from 1947-49, I'll jump back again to a signature piece by composer Alan Hovhannes.

Winton Marsalis on trumpet, with organ. Prayer of St. Gregory, 1946

From St. John the Divine NY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc6SVi3esr8

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I had an old 78 of this one, the Overture to "Carousel" by Rodgers and Hammerstein. It stands well as a great classical piece by Richard Rodgers, the Carousel Waltz (1945).

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-15-2016, 09:10 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: While I wait for anyone else to post an unlikely "best song ever" from 1947-49, I'll jump back again to a signature piece by composer Alan Hovhannes.

Challenge accepted!   Big Grin

snicker snicker!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Is this one from 1945, or 1848? You decide. It's a splendid orchestration of an American hymn.

From Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copland. Also the theme music for CBS Reports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Gifts

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-16-2016, 09:16 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: snicker snicker!

That song is beloved of 6 year olds down the ages, that counts for something, right?
(09-16-2016, 09:53 AM)gabrielle Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 09:16 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: snicker snicker!

That song is beloved of 6 year olds down the ages, that counts for something, right?

Not in my book. When I was 6 years old, my favorite songs were Beethoven's 6th Symphony and Mozart's Marriage of Figaro Overture. I expect no less of any 6-year-old. I am pretty literal in my interpretation (and opinion) of what are the best songs (music) ever. I of course thought of that one, but it doesn't qualify in my estimation; not by a long shot. For much the same reason as White Christmas and God Bless America don't qualify. Pretty conventional and pedestrian music. Fine for the masses, but not a cut above. Popularity does not always equal quality. But, the thread is open to all opinions, and since you think it qualifies, you posted it! So, there it is!

And yes, to anticipate you, I did give at-least honorable mention to a few songs that the kids like me liked from 1958. Not exactly childrens' songs; they had an extra edge to them, and I liked them and I still do.

Another thing: about "Christmas music." With the likely exception of Justin Bieber's marvellous reggae-fusion song " Mistletoe " (co-written by Nasri Atwah of Magic! and "Rude" fame, who also co-wrote "Pray"), I don't know a modern Christmas song I like. I get so tired of hearing them too. 20th century Christmas songs epitomize the commercialization of crass American culture, and the materialism of holidays, especially Christmas. It's because of the secularizing of society too; holy songs are not written for holidays anymore. It might offend non-believers. Holy songs don't help sell the merchandise. Pedestrian songs work better. Even though I'm not a traditional Christian, Christian art (and music at least since the Renaissance) is better and greater the further back you go. Baroque Christmas carols are the best. It was closer to the time when the religion really inspired and transported people into expectations of a better world. Kinda like.... below???

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
From Carousel, 1945, "If I Loved You"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Loved_You

The sixties version I knew was by Chad and Jeremy.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-16-2016, 10:51 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: From Carousel, 1945, "If I Loved You"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Loved_You

The sixties version I knew was by Chad and Jeremy.

Meh.  I would not have picked this song for one of the best songs of the mid-century.  Certainly not one of the best Rodgers and Hammerstein songs.

BTW, I too was taught to appreciate classical music from a fairly early age.  I was 6 when my dad bought me my first classical record, Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf.  And though I was half joking when I first posted it, there is nothing wrong with Gene Autry's "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer," it is a nice children's song with a good message about understanding that sometimes what might at first seem like your weakness can actually be your strength, and to not let bullies get you down.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,383 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 340 267,453 08-22-2021, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green