Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2T Vs. 3T pop culture
Enjoying the fact I can surprise Eric. Big Grin  He originally thought I did not have a wide range of taste in music and he is surprised I like some 4T bands and probably surprised i like a lot of what he does too. Heh heh heh! Loving it! May i continue to surprise our resident prophet who cannot predict my interests! Wink I may continue to surprise you Eric. I have been into Maroon 5 since they started up well over 10 years ago.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

I also saw you put up a post of a song from Fleetwood mac. psst guess what? I think you know what I am going to say hahahahaha! Big Grin
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-28-2016, 02:12 AM)Galen Wrote:
(06-28-2016, 01:31 AM)Eric the Obtuse Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 04:38 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 04:15 PM)Eric the Obtuse Wrote: Some Xers and millies can't face the possible fact that the pop culture era of their youth was the worst ever since pop culture became a major element in society around the 1890s. Tara takes it personally, although it is no reflection on her or on millies in general, or even on most Gen Xers. Xers like Pharrell and the Maroon 5 group have already proven they can do better in the 4T than they did in the 3T. The mood has changed to something more like the last 4T. And a lot of 3T pop was created by boomers. They also set the styles (that I mostly don't like) in the early 80s. After all, the politics of the 3T in the USA was ALSO the worst ever, and boomers had more to do with that than the younger generations. And that these things happened together is no accident.

A lot of the problem was the media ownership concentration that the Reaganoids and even the Clintonistas allowed to happen during the 3T, which was dedicated to Galen's policy of letting business do whatever it wants. The result of his policies being adopted was a few media moguls only allowing "music" of the lowest common denominator to be broadcast or produced. In the 4T that strangehold has been challenged by social media like you tube, which has allowed alternative pop stars like Justin Bieber to find an audience. I think that will continue, and may extend far beyond contributions by teenagers.

Disillusionment and cynicism expressed by Xers in their music is also partly a result of the political policies and stagnation of the time.

To say that (in my opinion) the recent 3T was the worst culturally, not only in pop music but in broadcast TV, does not mean there weren't some good songs in it. All 3T pop culture is a big category, and I also exclude not only fringe phenomena like new age music and singer-songwriters, but pop culture beyond the United States, from this generalization. Just because Taramarie ignores what I say, does not mean I haven't said it.
Side note: that is cool you like Maroon 5. May as well mention while i am here i like Lightfoot. See is it not nicer to share music we like without bashing an entire turning?

Or telling others what to say??

I mostly like Maroon 5's 4T music, but the ones you posted were pretty good. But I'm surprised you like them, they are so sexy.

Never heard of them so its kind of hard to have an opinion about their music.

OK, it wasn't you then.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
This is what I have said here for years now:

To say that (in my opinion) the recent 3T was the worst culturally, not only in pop music but in broadcast TV, does not mean there weren't some good songs in it. All 3T pop culture is a big category, and I also exclude not only fringe phenomena like new age music and singer-songwriters, but pop culture beyond the United States, from this generalization.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-28-2016, 10:13 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: This is what I have said here for years now:

To say that (in my opinion) the recent 3T was the worst culturally, not only in pop music but in broadcast TV, does not mean there weren't some good songs in it. All 3T pop culture is a big category, and I also exclude not only fringe phenomena like new age music and singer-songwriters, but pop culture beyond the United States, from this generalization.

Yes the 3T culture is a big category so a "worst" smear (and that is what it is) does not make it true given there are so many songs that you are discovering yourself that you enjoy as well as the fact beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just be aware whenever you say that and I see it, I will say something. I will defend it for those of us who enjoy that era. I know you love to keep reminding us you hate it. I am persistent too. Enjoy the music you like and let us do the same thank you. Be tolerant of the differences and let us share and enjoy our similarities including songs we like together. You want a tolerant world. That is an example.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-28-2016, 04:15 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-28-2016, 10:13 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: This is what I have said here for years now:

Yes the 3T culture is a big category so a "worst" smear (and that is what it is) does not make it true given there are so many songs that you are discovering yourself that you enjoy
Nope; still the worst. But it's the label of worst that is relative; such a big category cannot be a uniform judgement on all the songs of the period. But there's still a big gap between the 2T and the 4T, as I hear it. But, though that's still my opinion, I have always admitted that there are more songs of that period I don't know than those of today and the 2T, and my ears are open.

Quote: as well as the fact beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
That's not a fact, as explained perfectly, but you ignore it.

Quote: Just be aware whenever you say that and I see it, I will say something. I will defend it for those of us who enjoy that era. I know you love to keep reminding us you hate it. I am persistent too.
You can post whatever you decide to post, within forum guidelines. I am also free to ignore it, or not. You are still officially on my ignore list.

Quote: Enjoy the music you like and let us do the same thank you.
I cannot tell you what to enjoy and what not, silly. You cannot tell me what to say.

Quote: Be tolerant of the differences and let us share and enjoy our similarities including songs we like together. You want a tolerant world. That is an example.

Then, if that's what you want, then YOU can tolerate the fact that people make statements of what they like and what they don't, Taramarie. And, you might learn something too.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-28-2016, 04:30 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Yes the 3T culture is a big category so a "worst" smear (and that is what it is) does not make it true given there are so many songs that you are discovering yourself that you enjoy
Nope; still the worst. But it's the label of worst that is relative; such a big category cannot be a uniform judgement on all the songs of the period. But there's still a big gap between the 2T and the 4T, as I hear it. But, though that's still my opinion, I have always admitted that there are more songs of that period I don't know than those of today and the 2T, and my ears are open.

Quote: Just be aware whenever you say that and I see it, I will say something. I will defend it for those of us who enjoy that era. I know you love to keep reminding us you hate it. I am persistent too.
You can post whatever you decide to post, within forum guidelines. I am also free to ignore it, or not. You are still officially on my ignore list.

I cannot tell you what to enjoy and what not, silly. You cannot tell me what to say.

Quote: Be tolerant of the differences and let us share and enjoy our similarities including songs we like together. You want a tolerant world. That is an example.

Then, if that's what you want, then YOU can tolerate the fact that people make statements of what they like and what they don't, Taramarie. And, you might learn something too.

As to your last comment I think you could learn that too. You are trying to change the world correct? Which means you disagree with people to the point of changing their behaviour. You cannot tell me you are tolerant. The only reason I am having this discussion with you is because despite the fact you say you are open minded and tolerant you aren't regarding the 3T given what you say about it. Lets keep that fact well known here. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Same fact that one person likes someone else and another looks from afar thinking why is she or he with that person ugh! Same thing with music. A person can like certain music and another does not think it is good. Like gabrielle was astounded that i "missed all the good song." To her they are good. To me, some were new discoveries and some no. Difference is i do not go round saying i do not like a whole turning for its culture. I will add that no one actually cares as we cherish it. You seem unaware that it is rude though. For someone open to changing himself you seem closed off to opening your own mind to others. But that is why you are the prophet and i am the civic. I see other people and hear what they say. You are the one obsessed with changing culture and be damned those who stand in the way. It makes you quite ignorant to people. People who are in that society you want to change. Funny i am on your ignore list but that is not working. You cannot ignore truth Eric. All i want is for you to be nice. We know you do not like that turning so why keep complaining about it?
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

It is interesting that Eric has decided to restart this debate again. I thought we were all done and dusted but he seems to like to be smacked around by someone he apparently has on "ignore." Which means i have done something that digs too deep into who he is and he cannot handle it. I note details and can read a person that way. He does not like it. But is ok telling others to change. Big Grin Do you want to know the root cause as to why I go after Eric on this and other occasions? Think about what i am saying and what i said about the groping incident. It is the same argument for him to notice other opinions. He chooses instead to ignore them as it is to do with changing culture. His opinion (in his opinion) is correct and true and ours not so much. I notice what others say and take account of that and he continues to stand firm that he is correct. I think this is a prime example of a civic vs prophet debate. One can see others and the other thinks our mind set and with it culture should change to suit him and be damned our opinion.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Eric, you can leave now and i will pretend you never even replied and wanted this debate started up again Wink
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-28-2016, 04:52 PM)taramarie Wrote:

As to your last comment I think you could learn that too. You are trying to change the world correct? Which means you disagree with people to the point of changing their behaviour. You cannot tell me you are tolerant. The only reason I am having this discussion with you is because despite the fact you say you are open minded and tolerant you aren't regarding the 3T given what you say about it. Lets keep that fact well known here. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Same fact that one person likes someone else and another looks from afar thinking why is she or he with that person ugh! Same thing with music. A person can like certain music and another does not think it is good. Like gabrielle was astounded that i "missed all the good song." To her they are good. To me, some were new discoveries and some no. Difference is i do not go round saying i do not like a whole turning for its culture. I will add that no one actually cares as we cherish it. You seem unaware that it is rude though. For someone open to changing himself you seem closed off to opening your own mind to others. But that is why you are the prophet and i am the civic. I see other people and hear what they say. You are the one obsessed with changing culture and be damned those who stand in the way. It makes you quite ignorant to people. People who are in that society you want to change. Funny i am on your ignore list but that is not working. You cannot ignore truth Eric. All i want is for you to be nice. We know you do not like that turning so why keep complaining about it?

You are not nice, so why ask me to be?

I say what I think. I don't care if you think it's rude for me to say what I think. There's no point in having a forum if people don't.

Beauty is not just in the eye of the beholder.

You seem to care if I don't agree with you. You keep talking to me about it.

You talking about how others feel about me IS extremely rude. That's why you're on my ignore list. That's not acceptable behavior.

What you say is not necessarily the truth, just because you are on my ignore list.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-28-2016, 05:16 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

I say what I think. I don't care if you think it's rude for me to say what I think. There's no point in having a forum if people don't.

You talking about how others feel about me IS extremely rude. That's why you're on my ignore list. That's not acceptable behavior.

What you say is not necessarily the truth, just because you are on my ignore list.

I think others would disagree regarding you saying beauty is not just in the eye of the beholder. If ears cannot hear the beauty it is not beauty to them so it is just a simple fact. Same for eyes that cannot see the beauty. Same thing for people. My first highlight addresses the fact that I am very correct in assuming you know you are insensitive to others and do not care, quote: "I don't care." So I was right that you do not care about others. So how are you to change a culture if you are insensitive to how others feel? I have spoken to others who i will not mention and it is how they feel. They just do not tell you. So i am their voice. If I am on your ignore list, why talk to me?
Ditto buddy, what you say is FAR from what the truth is to OTHERS. Others who you clearly do not care about regarding opinion and with it sometimes their feelings.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Again I've said all I need to say in my argument with Taramarie; whatever.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-28-2016, 05:16 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Oh and to address that as i do not ignore anything or put people on ignore who i disagree with, I am not pleasant with those who are insensitive to others and those who ignore others feelings. Look above to an earlier comment of mind for reference as to why i go after you. It is the same debate. My type (ISFJ) picks up on it quite nicely. A civic type that listens to everyone and when someone is not respecting a group or a person i of course go on the attack. Hence why you are often on the spot. Perhaps your type is not sensitive enough to realize why you are always in the hot seat.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-28-2016, 05:30 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Again I've said all I need to say in my argument with Taramarie; whatever.

Haha which is why i question why you started it up again. Wink Tongue Big Grin
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

taramarie Wrote:It is interesting that Eric has decided to restart this debate again. I thought we were all done and dusted but he seems to like to be smacked around by someone he apparently has on "ignore."

Eric used to have huge ignore list on the old forum.  

Quote: He chooses instead to ignore them as it is to do with changing culture. His opinion (in his opinion) is correct and true and ours not so much. I notice what others say and take account of that and he continues to stand firm that he is correct. I think this is a prime example of a civic vs prophet debate.

I rather think this is just Eric being Eric. I guarantee that if Vandal'72 popped in here, you'd get entertained.

Quote:One can see others and the other thinks our mind set and with it culture should change to suit him and be damned our opinion.

Let's see. 
1. I saw an Eric post where he got on his soapbox about "Reaganiods, etc."  I guess that sort of fits within the bounds of the thread's topic.
2. Eric will put folks on ignore, but will go off and peak at their posts. Make sense?  To moi, not really. Big Grin 

3. Let's ponder Eric's "ear" for stuff. I guess those ears must be kinda big: Since my ears aren't nearly that big, I certainly don't have an "ear for <insert yucky music>" here.

[Image: 800px-African_Bush_Elephant.jpg]
---Value Added Cool
(06-28-2016, 07:16 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
taramarie Wrote:It is interesting that Eric has decided to restart this debate again. I thought we were all done and dusted but he seems to like to be smacked around by someone he apparently has on "ignore."

Quote: He chooses instead to ignore them as it is to do with changing culture. His opinion (in his opinion) is correct and true and ours not so much. I notice what others say and take account of that and he continues to stand firm that he is correct. I think this is a prime example of a civic vs prophet debate.

I rather think this is just Eric being Eric. I guarantee that if Vandal'72 popped in here, you'd get entertained.

Quote:One can see others and the other thinks our mind set and with it culture should change to suit him and be damned our opinion.

Let's see. 
1. I saw an Eric post where he got on his soapbox about "Reaganiods, etc."  I guess that sort of fits within the bounds of the thread's topic.
2. Eric will put folks on ignore, but will go off and peak at their posts. Make sense?  To moi, not really. Big Grin 

3. Let's ponder Eric's "ear" for stuff. I guess those ears must be kinda big: Since my ears aren't nearly that big, I certainly don't have an "ear for <insert yucky music>" here.

Yep he had bob, Odin, kinser, me and countless others on ignore. I once told him if he keeps it up whenever he disagrees with anyone and "ignores" them he will not have anyone left to talk to.

True. It is just Eric being Eric but as many others have mentioned he also has strong traits of a stereotypical boomer (prophet).

Did not see the reaganoids thread so not sure what that is about. All I know is that he is of course against republicans in general.

Yep he peeks. He admitted himself that he struggles to stop peeking and commenting. I do not know why he even bothers with the ignore feature. It just makes the urge to know what is being said more irresistible for him it seems. I just want him to consider others is all. But he doesn't and chooses to put me on ignore while still talking to me.

He has a wide range of tastes and we share a lot in common with what we both like. Like Diana Ross and Maroon 5. Both of us enjoy variety which seems to surprise him regarding the fact i do have a wide range which confuses me. I do not know why he had the impression I stick to only one genre. I never have. I like the fact he tries out new songs and is open minded about that. I like an open mind. But he is closed minded when it comes to a certain turning despite applauding some songs which are from that turning. Which is whatever, but he has a tendacy to keep jabbing at it and on top of it say that culture is wrong and needs to be fixed as well as the silly thing he said about us not having the ear for it despite the fact it is clear he does not have the ear for other music. But he has yet to admit to that yet. Another funny thing was the fact he does not understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Xers understand and love some music i do not understand from their perspective. Neither does he evidently. But I understand that it is what it is intended to be and listen to those who get out of it what i cannot understand. We put our life experiences into the music alongside what it is also trying to communicate to us. Our life experiences and what we get out of it make it beautiful to us. Something he does not understand. If he cannot understand that and be so distant from individual interpretation I do not know how he can be a sensitive artist.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Let's see. 

Hmm i am intrigued by this Vandal person. I take it they also did not get along?
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Tara started it, as she always does. Her problem is that she thinks she can change me. ha ha!

Not long ago, I had no-one on ignore. After about 14 years, I decided to put Glick on ignore because of his long posts and red print. But soon after that, mostly new-to-the-forum Gen Xers decided to unleash unprecedented levels of stubborn anger and insult on me and others, and I decided to put them on ignore after it was clear dialogue was impossible. But I can always look at their posts if I choose. It appears to be a deterioration in the quality of posters as Gen X and early millennials became more prominent on the forum, some of whom have a hatred of boomers like me, and probably also as the book itself became more and more in the past, the forum became more of an irrelevant free-for-all for trolls and near-trolls. I explained all this before, of course.

But I am probably just hooked on the idea and technology of a forum like this, and the breadth of this forum as opposed to others.

Quote:

You are closer to the truth than Taramarie; that's not hard. My issue with her is that she wants to tell me what to say and get others to back her up.

I have my views on culture. People expressing views is what a forum is for, not for giving posters advice about changing their behavior.

Quote:Let's see. 

As I explained, my soapbox was just stating facts as I know them.

Quote:2. Eric will put folks on ignore, but will go off and peak at their posts. Make sense?  To moi, not really. Big Grin 
I always have hope for peace and reconciliation and for people to come to their senses and be reasonable. I guess that's just my 60s idealism. It really probably is wrong; it's hard to imagine Galen not calling me Obtuse, or Tara stop demanding that I stop saying 3T pop American culture is the worst and trying to get others to shame me for it. Probably ain't gonna happen. Or Vandal or Kinser to engage in an actual dialogue. Not likely to happen.

Quote:3. Let's ponder Eric's "ear" for stuff. I guess those ears must be kinda big: Since my ears aren't nearly that big, I certainly don't have an "ear for <insert yucky music>" here.

I have always been told that my ears are more sensitive than those of most other folks. Of course, my mouth is pretty big too.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-29-2016, 01:12 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Tara started it, as she always does. Her problem is that she thinks she can change me. ha ha!

Not long ago, I had no-one on ignore. After about 14 years, I decided to put Glick on ignore because of his long posts and red print. But after that, Gen Xers decided to unleash unprecedented levels of stubborn anger and insult on me and others, and I decided to put them on ignore. But I can always look at their posts if I choose.

Quote:You are closer to the truth than Taramarie; that's not hard. My issue with her is that she wants to tell me what to say and get others to back her up.

I have my views on culture. People expressing views is what a forum is for, not for giving posters advice about changing their behavior.

Quote:Let's see. 

As I explained, my soapbox was just stating facts as I know them.

Quote:2. Eric will put folks on ignore, but will go off and peak at their posts. Make sense?  To moi, not really. Big Grin 

I have always been told that my ears are more sensitive than those of most other folks. Of course, my mouth is pretty big too.
The sad part is it proves you are not sensitive to others one bit. The amusing part is you want others to change but are not a self reflector yourself nor are sensitive to others. Your stubbornness proves it. Also if you have a person on ignore probably a good thing to keep them on ignore. Otherwise it is no use. You mention xers but you have put boomers on ignore too like bob and millies like myself and Odin so lets not entirely blame xers for your sensitivity to others comments which is probably due to your lack of sensitivity and possibly ignorance of facts according to some from what i have seen.
I am not surprised xers are angry. They have every right to be. Maybe that anger will fix our problems one day. I hope.
As to your issue of me telling you what to say my message to that is live and let live. You have your issue about certain music. That is your right. But you have no right to keep bashing us over the head with your intolerance. Especially when many of us love it. Maybe i should start bashing what you enjoy just to give you a taste of it. For a guy who thinks he is tolerant you show an awful lot of the opposite and on top of it does not want to change yet expects others to....
Yes, if i could draw a boomer it would have a big mouth. They are not about action but have a voice. Some violate that right and think they are perfectly right and that perfectly right ideal is perfectly right for others to follow. It isn't. You cannot see us.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

What is good music, is good music, regardless of the age at which you hear it.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pop Stars By Decade gabrielle 1 653 01-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green