Poll: Which of the following two generation is more selfish?
Silent
Boom
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is more selfish, Silent or Boom?
See subject line. From your experience, which of these two generations is more selfish?

In my experience it is the Silents who have the strongest "I got mine, fuck you" attitude. The Boomers' issues are more with dogmatism and preachiness, not with selfishness.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
The boomers for sure.
Gen X, clearly.

Seriously, this is not the kind of discussion subject that promotes understanding among generations.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Boomers
Knowledge doesn't equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth no matter what you think of it.
(10-15-2016, 08:42 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Gen X, clearly.

Boom elites.

Seriously, this is not the kind of discussion subject that promotes understanding among generations.

I added a qualifier, silly Tongue

* black kite award for thread 'cause it's using trash

[Image: 2007-black-kite.jpg]
---Value Added Cool
The 4T has made me feel deprived so it makes me wanna have as much as I can have. As the 4T goes on, I feel the deprivation more and more.
Boomers, hands down. If the scope were larger, the answer would likely be the same.
(10-15-2016, 11:02 PM)taramarie Wrote:

But when I try to tell you How to understand xer culture you ignore that and prefer to bash it. So you certainly are not helping with your prejudice against that generation.

Sounds about right. LOTS (not all) of boomers project their shadows onto Xers. A true sign of selfishness. Tara, I wouldn't hold your breath on hoping a boomer will have any interest in understanding Xer culture. Mostly they make it out to be something it isn't & attack that. This strawman tactic isn't intentional, it is born of hubris and irrational exuberance that comes from the privilege of living in a boom... I have started thinking of it in a similar fashion as white privilege: hard to see when it has worked to your advantage & shrouded in a cloud of denial that protects an identity wrapped around "hard work", "paying taxes", "I earned it" and the like. It scares the hell out of them to have history write a different view of them. Who can blame them? When you have always lived in a boom, you think it is because of your abilities, not your circumstances. Thus the hubris and confusion about why the boom is over. But don't expect compassion from them, because as you will hear from them over and again, "everyone generation has its challenges". The good news is that eventually, the reality will set in that there is more to life than selfishness masquerading as "individualism" when pain, sickness and old age will direct boomer attention to what is truly most important to them: the relationships that they have neglected... Should their humbleness overtake their pride. And it should.
(11-22-2016, 07:35 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-22-2016, 07:13 PM)Saint Stephen Wrote:

But when I try to tell you How to understand xer culture you ignore that and prefer to bash it. So you certainly are not helping with your prejudice against that generation.

Sounds about right. LOTS (not all) of boomers project their shadows onto Xers. A true sign of selfishness. Tara, I wouldn't hold your breath on hoping a boomer will have any interest in understanding Xer culture. Mostly they make it out to be something it isn't & attack that. This strawman tactic isn't intentional, it is born of hubris and irrational exuberance that comes from the privilege of living in a boom... I have started thinking of it in a similar fashion as white privilege: hard to see when it has worked to your advantage & shrouded in a cloud of denial that protects an identity wrapped around "hard work", "paying taxes", "I earned it" and the like. It scares the hell out of them to have history write a different view of them. Who can blame them? When you have always lived in a boom, you think it is because of your abilities, not your circumstances. Thus the hubris and confusion about why the boom is over. But don't expect compassion from them, because as you will hear from them over and again, "everyone generation has its challenges". The good news is that eventually, the reality will set in that there is more to life than selfishness masquerading as "individualism" when pain, sickness and old age will direct boomer attention to what is truly most important to them: the relationships that they have neglected... Should their humbleness overtake their pride. And it should.
Well said. Welcome to the forum, Stephen. Brace yourself for a lot of xer bashing from Eric. I am not an xer but i do not like destructive people like him. So I defend xers. I have done the same when boomers are bashed unreasonably too.
Maybe, but its really hard to unreasonably bash a Boomer. Wink
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
My mom is a Silent.

From my experience it is the boomers who are most selfish.

and as for whoever wrote that the longer this 4T drags on makes them want to have more, yeah I get that feeling too.

I'm getting the itch to drag home another project motorcycle and re-build it like I did my last one about 10 years or so back. I'm getting the desire again to take whatever I have left of my physical abilities before the lupus steals it all from me and go live it balls to the wall on the ragged edge of madness that is the biggest adrenaline rush you can get while not under the influence of chemical stupidity.

So there's that in my estimation from comparing boomer mother in law side by side with a silent mom, my silent mom is awesome, my late mother in law prepared for nothing and expected everything on a silver platter.

And yet there you are, judging boomers by X standards.  Relationships may be what's most important to you, but that doesn't mean they're what's most important to boomers.
(11-23-2016, 05:22 AM)Danilynn Wrote: My mom is a Silent.

and as for whoever wrote that the longer this 4T drags on makes them want to have more, yeah I get that feeling too.

I'm getting the itch to drag home another project motorcycle and re-build it like I did my last one about 10 years or so back. I'm getting the desire again to take whatever I have left of my physical abilities before the lupus steals it all from me and go live it balls to the wall on the ragged edge of madness that is the biggest adrenaline rush you can get while not under the influence of chemical stupidity.

So there's that in my estimation from comparing boomer mother in law side by side with a silent mom, my silent mom is awesome, my late mother in law prepared for nothing and expected everything on a silver platter.

Elite Boomers may be the most selfish  people who have ever lived. They demand deference to their demands, and have been able to get such deference from fellow Boomers.

Non-elite Boomers may not be so troublesome.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

I have said many times that the Boomers were more guilty of excessive hubris than were the GIs whose hurbris they rebelled against during their youth. Not only did a significant number of Boomers become the parents they once ridiculed, but they expanded on it.
(09-13-2017, 03:50 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(11-23-2016, 05:22 AM)Danilynn Wrote: My mom is a Silent.

Elite Boomers may be the most selfish  people who have ever lived. They demand deference to their demands, and have been able to get such deference from fellow Boomers.

Non-elite Boomers may not be so troublesome.
To top it off, we have one of those elite Boomers in the White House now. Perhaps the moment of reckoning is just around the corner after years of stagnation about moving society in a more humane direction.
The worst Idealists of which I have ever heard (unless you are talking of extremists like Nazi war criminal Wilhelm Frick or an Old Bolshevik like Vladimir Lenin or Lev Trotsky, a terrorist, or an outright criminal who could be in any generation like Ted Bundy) were the loud-mouth defenders of the slave system in the old South -- the exploiters and abusers of slaves who insisted that they be seen as benefactors to 'their' )in a strictly-possessive sense) people. An exploiter and abuser who sees himself as a benefactor? That's someone who thinks his evil is a great and needful boon to Humanity as a whole.

OK, I will give you the name of a criminal -- Phillip Gallardo, kidnapper and sexual predator, who kidnapped an 11-year-old girl whom he eventually raped and impregnated, and economically exploited. He now has a 431-to-life term to serve in the California penal system. He can roast in Hell, so far as I am concerned. In the now-defunct generational Forum I called attention to his arrest, conviction, and sentencing.

Aside from great creative people (Whitman, Schubert, Matisse, T. Mann, Sibelius, Spielberg) and philosophers who can redefine or enrich a culture the greatest Idealists are those who can give purpose and meaning to a national struggle -- Samuel Adams, d'Israeli, Lincoln, Juarez, Herzl, Sun Yat-Sen, Churchill, Gandhi, Mannerheim, FDR, and Adenauer, the latter doing much to restore the credibility of a nation that had gone extremely bad.

Donald Trump has nothing relevant in common with any prior figure of Idealist greatness.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

I think everyone knows how I voted. My paternal grandparents were Silents and I managed to actually get assets out of them, but I think that is largely because what little they had they left to me instead of my sperm donor.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
Depends. My Silent parents were stingy, self-centered narcissists and many Gen Jones and Gen Xers will tell you their Silents were the same. First wave Boomers the same. Gen Jones (what S & H called late wave Boomers) are mixed; some selfish some not and that is usually divided along conservative/Republican-selfish and liberal progressive Democrat-unselfish. Gen X (those early wave with Silent parents) is also mixed but they and Jonesers got the worst of Silent parental neglect and negative press about kids but Gen X grew up in the excessive, money-focused 80's as children and teens so many of them focus on money and because they came of age in or after de-regulation 80's which crapped on their economic prospects as adults.

Gen Jones had the promise of their prosperous childhood but the emotional damage of Silent divorces and the assassinations of Heroes in their early 60's childhoods (Gen Jones I call the Assassination Generation) which made them grow up too fast. That economic promise was destroyed with policies like de-regulation in the 80's which allowed GI's, Silents, and Early Boomers to keep getting the good economic
lives while shafting Gen Jones, Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z for the payment. Gen Jones straddled the technology boom; teaching themselves computers while older Boomers and Silents had to be taught and spoon-fed. So Gen Jones and some X parents raised their Millennial and Gen Z kids with a lot of support and protection.

Carecare7~"I practice the religion of kindness."~The Dalai Lama 
Pick my brain:  http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?carecare7
INFJ~Advocate (rarest type)

They both suck - only in different ways.

Silents may have a good reputation as nice people; but if you want to see their choleric side, just be consequential on calling them out on their lies, without compromise.

And Boomers are too full of themselves. They'd rather burn the world than admit they might be wrong. (With very few exceptions.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silent of the Week Thread sbarrera 24 14,761 06-22-2020, 05:26 PM
Last Post: sbarrera
  Who is more religious? The Silent Generation or the Boomer Generation? AspieMillennial 9 5,509 01-18-2020, 09:08 AM
Last Post: AspieMillennial
  Silent Generation Sub Forum sbarrera 8 4,165 08-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  A personal anecdote about the Silent generation sbarrera 2 2,472 12-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  Fading Silent GeekyCynic 5 5,980 07-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Warren Dew
  The Silent Generation and comedy pbrower2a 3 4,615 04-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green