Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Strange Disappearance of Cooperation in America
http://peterturchin.com/blog/2013/06/21/...ppearance/

Quote:Tomorrow I head for “Sci Foo” at the Googleplex. I proposed a discussion session there, “Are We Becoming Less Cooperative? If So, Why?” and I’d like to use today’s blog to help me formulate my ideas for this session. So here it goes.
====================================================================
The title of this blog is a paraphrase of a 1995 article by Robert Putnam, “The Strange Disappearance of Civic America.” Robert Putnam is a political scientist at Harvard who over the last 20 years has been documenting the decline of ‘social capital’ in America...

http://peterturchin.com/blog/2013/06/21/...ppearance/
(07-08-2016, 10:28 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: An aside, based on the 1%er graph. Lots of the Leftists on this site say that the rise of the 1%ers started with Reagan but that is not the case.

It was none other than James Earl Carter who was in office when we hit that particular inflection point.

I remember it well, viewing it from the perspective of a HS underclassman.

After the mid 70s, something shifted in the collective psyche.

The start of Yuppieism was in plain site.

That was when the Boomers decided to take the rest of the decade off in a cocaine fueled bout of hedonism.  The Yuppies hadn't arrived but it wouldn't be long after that.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
This is a natural outcome of Late-Stage Capitalism, which generally destroys the natural, organic bonds of solidarity between people and forces them into a atomistic existence in a society that is commercialized from top to bottom and there is no public space free of debasement by the drive for private profit. People live anonymous lives in identical apartment blocks or identical suburban McMansions, nobody knows their neighbors.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breaking point: America approaching a period of disintegration Dan '82 71 68,481 01-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a