Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Tunes from the 2T
Many guys today may forget that one of the greatest aspects of the Awakening was women's liberation, and simultaneously, the trend at least for a while for men to become less obsessively macho and adopt some of the positive traits of women. And sometimes 2T music reflected that. Posts by Rags, although I may agree with some of them, emphasize how often that feminine traits in music, and its less aggressive and blatantly overt assertiveness, charged with sexual and anger overtones, and more possessed of the sensitivity which was the primary virtue of The Awakening, are ignored or devalued even despite the Awakening-- especially by Generation Xers; even though I agree with some of their cultural choices among the Awakening's legacy. I like Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix and so on, but amid the emphasis on remembering the hard rock and punk styles, the more gentle and sensitive aspect is forgotten. That's one reason I posted this forgotten epic song (one among many others) that captures the actual spirit of The Awakening as few other songs do.

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Bill Moyers on Suzanne by Judy Collins and Leonard Cohen
https://youtu.be/Ijqp4s9JDOc

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Real Awakening gospel! Laura Nyro song performed by Marilyn McCoo and the Fifth Dimension group.

Save the Country
The 5th Dimension
Come on, people, come on, children
Come on down to the glory river.
Gonna wash you up, and wash you down,
Gonna lay the devil down, gonna lay that devil down.

Come on, people! Come on, children!
There's a king at the glory river
And the precious king, he loved the people to sing;
Babes in the blinkin' sun sang
"We Shall Overcome".

I got fury in my soul, fury's gonna take me to the glory goal
In my mind I can't study war no more.
Save the people, save the children, save the country

Come on, people come on, children
Come on down to the glory river
Gonna wash you up and wash you down
Gonna lay the devil down, gonna lay that devil down
Come on people! Sons and mothers
Keep the dream of the two young brothers
Gonna take that dream and ride that dove
We could build the dream with love, I know,
We could build a dream with love, children,
We could build the dream with love, oh people,
We could build the dream with love.

I got fury in my soul, fury's gonna take me to the glory goal
In my mind I can't study war no more.
Save the people, save the children, save the country now!

Songwriters: Laura Nyro
Save the Country lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-24-2016, 05:30 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Many guys today may forget that one of the greatest aspects of the Awakening was women's liberation, and simultaneously, the trend at least for a while for men to become less obsessively macho and adopt some of the positive traits of women. And sometimes 2T music reflected that. Posts by Rags, although I may agree with some of them, emphasize how often that feminine traits in music, and its less aggressive and blatantly overt assertiveness, charged with sexual and anger overtones, and more possessed of the sensitivity which was the primary virtue of The Awakening, are ignored or devalued even despite the Awakening-- especially by Generation Xers; even though I agree with some of their cultural choices among the Awakening's legacy. I like Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix and so on, but amid the emphasis on remembering the hard rock and punk styles, the more gentle and sensitive aspect is forgotten. That's one reason I posted this forgotten epic song (one among many others) that captures the actual spirit of The Awakening as few other songs do.

<snip vid>

Eric forgets how old Rags was. Big Grin    Teenage boys don't think about the things Eric mentions above.

Here's another top album for Rags.

And... Eric forgets Rags has other Awakening stuff he likes. [Environmentalism, stick it to the man, assorted herbs, antiwar ]
---Value Added Cool
(10-24-2016, 06:17 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Eric forgets how old Rags was. Big Grin    Teenage boys don't think about the things Eric mentions above.

I did, of course; as did many Boomer awakened guys! (Gen Xers, in general, maybe not?)

The song I made the video for (and bought the single for then) came out when I was 16, and Suzanne also. I was 19 when I first heard and enjoyed Save the Country. Plus, Laura Nyro's first hit single (which I knew and liked well of course) dates from the same year as the other two.

Plus it doesn't matter how old you are when you hear a song. A song is a song; music is music. As was said on a bootleg album by The Who I bought: "It's in the vinyl!"

It IS possible (if apparently unlikely) that someone can appreciate a song I post (or someone else posts) that you haven't (or someone hasn't) heard before, or isn't in a genre you are used to. Even YOU, Mr. Rags! Think about that. Quite a concept!

Something else that I notice. Your taste has not changed since you were a teenager. You like the same kinda stuff!

Quote:And... Eric forgets Rags has other Awakening stuff he likes. [Environmentalism, stick it to the man, assorted herbs, antiwar ]

No, I didn't forget Smile

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-24-2016, 06:08 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Consider blotting out the license plate? Driving

Doesn't matter now; Terri the Car is deceased.

(same year as the video)

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-24-2016, 05:30 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Many guys today may forget that one of the greatest aspects of the Awakening was women's liberation, and simultaneously, the trend at least for a while for men to become less obsessively macho and adopt some of the positive traits of women. And sometimes 2T music reflected that. Posts by Rags, although I may agree with some of them, emphasize how often that feminine traits in music, and its less aggressive and blatantly overt assertiveness, charged with sexual and anger overtones, and more possessed of the sensitivity which was the primary virtue of The Awakening, are ignored or devalued even despite the Awakening-- especially by Generation Xers; even though I agree with some of their cultural choices among the Awakening's legacy. I like Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix and so on, but amid the emphasis on remembering the hard rock and punk styles, the more gentle and sensitive aspect is forgotten. That's one reason I posted this forgotten epic song (one among many others) that captures the actual spirit of The Awakening as few other songs do.

I don't think that's necessarily true.  You have a tendency to point out the tastes of specific (mostly male) individuals here in these forums and claim that as the general Gen X taste, while ignoring the opinions of other Gen Xers, particularly the female ones.  That's not very enlightened of you.

I (and others) have given you many samples of 3T and Gen X music with feminine and gentle characteristics, and many with idealistic themes, so I don't think that aspect of the Awakening was ignored by Generation X.  Anyway, the aggressive masculine stuff can be fun and exciting--rock n roll, man!  (Didn't you guys used to say that?)

Also, I think punk rock was not so much about aggressive masculinity as it was about using sarcasm and perversity as a way to shock people out of their complacency and get them to think about things.  

(10-24-2016, 11:13 PM)gabrielle Wrote:

I don't think that's necessarily true.  You have a tendency to point out the tastes of specific (mostly male) individuals here in these forums and claim that as the general Gen X taste, while ignoring the opinions of other Gen Xers, particularly the female ones.  That's not very enlightened of you.

Ho hmmmm. I was speaking of guys here. Again, you forgot; I was responding to what Rags posted. So why argue with me?

You forget I am a follower of musical tastes and surveys and such; I know which 2T songs make it high in the lists now, and which ones have been forgotten.

Quote:I (and others) have given you many samples of 3T and Gen X music with feminine and gentle characteristics, and many with idealistic themes, so I don't think that aspect of the Awakening was ignored by Generation X.  Anyway, the aggressive masculine stuff can be fun and exciting--rock n roll, man!  (Didn't you guys used to say that?)

Fun? Some of it, for those who prefer. Mostly 2T rock for me is fun, because in the 3T the aggressive masculine stuff mostly lost its musical qualities, which is the "fun" I look for in music, even IF also macho and aggressive (like The Who, my favorite band). Because 3T hard rock IS the way it is, I don't think the interest in sensitivity was shown in it much at all. (and come on, folks, talk about obvious). Cynical survivalist and "oh whatever" Gen X attitudes and support in youth for conservative politics is not very sensitive either. (nor are Boomers very sensitive either, in later 3T times and nowadays; massive "sell-out" man!). But don't get me wrong, I welcome your contrary opinions and listen to them.

And I've given you credit when you posted stuff I like, so, so what?

(and thanks for pointing out that about Tomorrow Never Knows; didn't know)

Off hand I can't remember other female Gen Xers who have posted about music here. "Felix?" She was very hard to agree with in any case.

Quote:Also, I think punk rock was not so much about aggressive masculinity as it was about using sarcasm and perversity as a way to shock people out of their complacency and get them to think about things.  

I'll listen to that one later. But as for punk rock, I still want (musical) quality in my music; no excuses. But pop punk and/or post punk had some good stuff, I think (as you know).

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I thought Save the Country was especially interesting as 2T music because it combines the traditional spiritual revival with the social themes and leaders of our 2T, in an uplifting musical mix. Here's another one like that, and another female classic (of course I posted this too on the other thread):

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-24-2016, 11:44 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Fun? Some of it, for those who prefer. Mostly 2T rock, because in the 3T the aggressive masculine stuff mostly lost its musical qualities, which is the "fun" I look for in music, even IF also macho and aggressive (like The Who, my favorite band).

Again, 3T rock did not lack musical qualities.  But I know I'm not going to get anywhere with you here.

Quote:Off hand I can't remember other female Gen Xers who have posted about music here.

I remember at least one on the old forum (not Felix, I don't think she was Gen X).  

Quote:I'll listen to that one later. But as for punk rock, I still want (musical) quality in my music; no excuses. But pop punk and/or post punk had some good stuff, I think (as you know).

70s/80s post-punk, yes, but pop punk, like Green Day and Blink 182, not so much.  Just a week ago a young coworker and Green Day fan was telling me that that band was charging their fans $400 for a "VIP package" to their show (which apparently includes early access to seating and merch counter, some free trinkets and a Subway sandwich).  No real punk rock band would do anything like that.  The music doesn't really do a lot for me, either.
(10-25-2016, 12:55 AM)gabrielle Wrote: Again, 3T rock did not lack musical qualities.  But I know I'm not going to get anywhere with you here.

No; I don't know why anyone would deny it. It's so obvious. But then, I'm sure you can find exceptions, and you have; like Bikini Kill. You have posted some good songs, but most of them that I like I don't think you could call "hard rock." (grunge or metal). They were more like ballads, like Tori; good work. And electronica, you posted a couple of good artists there, at least. But you don't seem to mind posting a lot of grunge and hard rock in your "lost years" thread that you know I consider obviously non-musical. I'm always willing to give music in any genre a try, though.

For me, the first half of the 3T were good times. But I didn't live in the world of pop culture; only in fringe new age culture. As I said, there was enough there to keep me engaged in those days; very much promoting it too. Some Gen Xers involved, to be sure, especially in the rave/electronica culture of the 90s.

Quote:
Quote:Off hand I can't remember other female Gen Xers who have posted about music here.

I remember at least one on the old forum (not Felix, I don't think she was Gen X).  

Well, I don't remember any either, then. Just You Smile The ones you mean I suspect were late boomers. I know you have pretty good taste, at least outside the 3T; I can't account for your liking of 3T hard rock, except that it's what you grew up with. We all want to be hip with what's going on at that age. For me, what was hip was the new age culture, but I was in my 30s.

Quote:
Quote:I'll listen to that one later. But as for punk rock, I still want (musical) quality in my music; no excuses. But pop punk and/or post punk had some good stuff, I think (as you know).

70s/80s post-punk, yes, but pop punk, like Green Day and Blink 182, not so much.  Just a week ago a young coworker and Green Day fan was telling me that that band was charging their fans $400 for a "VIP package" to their show (which apparently includes early access to seating and merch counter, some free trinkets and a Subway sandwich).  No real punk rock band would do anything like that.  The music doesn't really do a lot for me, either.

Green Day is a fine group; good music and fine post-punk or pop punk or whatever you want to call it. I don't know Blink 182. There are others I like; it can be a good genre. But the "real punk" from the earlier 3T and late 2T; no thanks; my same overall judgement applies to that genre as to heavy metal and grunge. At least I haven't heard much that I like. The examples that Kepi posted were horrible. If those genres and rap had other qualities besides the musical that make them interesting, I wouldn't deny at all. But for me; no excuses for bad music.

I know there's always exceptions to my judgements; so please don't judge me too harshly for them. I also like some of the new wave from the turn of the 3T, as I've said. It was better than late 2T disco, for sure. That Crass song seems like sexy girl punk. It was OK. I'm not real sure where the line between punk and new wave is.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Nights in White Satin is a classic song that helped break new ground. Good performance there. My favorite Moodie came about a year later:

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
You certainly have a point there, X_4AD

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-25-2016, 01:56 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: But you don't seem to mind posting a lot of grunge and hard rock in your "lost years" thread that you know I consider obviously non-musical. 

Yep, I knew it and I posted them anyway.  Because I was posting what I consider the best songs of the era.

Quote:That Crass song seems like sexy girl punk. It was OK. 

Crass had both male and female members.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crass

[Image: crass_crass_bandcamp_com.jpg]

I hope by "sexy" you're not referring to the picture on their album cover, used in the video.  With the "teenage" blow-up/blow-job doll.
"I'll make no subscription to your paradise."  --most (eloquently put) punk rock phrase ever.  

This isn't a favorite of mine, or a big hit when it came out, but it has some good moments.

The final Jeopardy answer today was in the category of British Pop Music. On July 11, this song came out on the day Apollo 11 went to the Moon, and it was played on board the craft before it landed. Space Oddity by David Bowie was the question. I remember the song fine, but I had forgotten the title.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

From the youtube entry

"
[Image: photo.jpg]  

Christian e.g.5 months ago
heard all this through the eyes and ears of a 7-year-old boy in that time, the witching hour of America's history. So beautiful it sounds, the guitar work of Stephen Stills, that smooth keyboard sound of Graham Nash, so seductively it was, pulling in souls with that oh-so-lovely way the 3 of them harmonized their voices but listen to their words at the start: "A new day... a new way" So long the siren song of cultural revolution set to the sound of beautiful music...
"
---Value Added Cool

From the youtube entry

"
[Image: photo.jpg]  

Christian e.g.5 months ago
heard all this through the eyes and ears of a 7-year-old boy in that time, the witching hour of America's history. So beautiful it sounds, the guitar work of Stephen Stills, that smooth keyboard sound of Graham Nash, so seductively it was, pulling in souls with that oh-so-lovely way the 3 of them harmonized their voices but listen to their words at the start: "A new day... a new way" So long the siren song of cultural revolution set to the sound of beautiful music...
"

---Value Added Cool
One of the things you should not forget is great lyrics from a song.

An unforgettable couple of lines come from The Beatles song A Day In The Life which go:" I read the news today oh boy,

"Four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire.

"And though the holes were rather small,

"They had to count them all

"Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall..."

The idea for the potholes came from an article in The Daily Mail on January 17, 1967, which said: "There are 4,000 holes in the road in Blackburn, Lancashire, or one twenty-sixth of a hole per person, according to a council survey. If Blackburn is typical, there are two million holes in Britain's roads and 300,000 in London."

It came to mind when I saw and article in The Times on Saturday (today) which had the headline: Fixing potholes will cost £12bn and take more than a decade"

It explained in a nutshell Britain's roads have fallen into such disrepair it would take 14 years to fill every pothole in the country.

Not a lot has changed since 1967 and things are supposed to be getting better.

As an added aside to any aspiring musicians who want to use the idea of potholes. When The Beatles used the lyric of The Royal Albert Hall being big enough to take 4,000 potholes.

Those responsible for running the Royal Albert Hall banned the song from being performed at the hall.

It the hall council's minutes it stated: "As a result, Council have voted unanimously to ban indefinitely the performance of the song by any artist performing at the Royal Albert Hall."

This ban was broken in 1989 but by then no one even remembered it was in place.

Another war lost.

And on the subject of things being the same think of the phrase ' a leopard never changes its spots"

This is now the big thing in the world of fashion. The leopard print coat is the new big thing as there are 5,500 styles of this type of coat.

Read more at http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/the...GrS7Tkd.99

"And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh"

Good advice these days?!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
And now a song for our times, right here, right now.

It's like Mideast double, double, toil , and trouble cojoined with assorted spooks listening in on yer interwebs and watching you on your webcam. One can now be paranoid, but that doesn't mean they ain't out to get you.

Of course we can always take a virtual vacation from this icky 4T and take a trip on the wayback machine.

---Value Added Cool