Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anti-generation-ers
I've been perusing the Reddit generation channels (Millenials (ghost town), GenZ (really just millennials), and generationology (wild place where discussion is prohibited, especially dissenting discussion).

I"m finding two main arguments that people who refuse to believe in Strauss Howe wield on repeat.  I don't really understand the arguments, but thoughts on the most effective (kind) debunking approaches?

1.  I was born in 2002, there's no way someone born in 2018 is more like me than someone born in 1998!

My complex rebuttal is that formative years (0-5) matter and that being raised in positive 90's for even a couple of those years leads to differences from someone born under very different parenting styles post-9/11.

2. Refusal to believe someone can have a child or nephew (? seriously) of their same generation.

This one just makes me scowl.
oh my god these people are SO ANNOYING. They're what made me leave r/GenZ. There's different kinds of anti-4th Turning people there:

■ "Generations don't exist, they're dumb marketing, eat the rich!!!"

I'm really sad that that's what generations have become these past few years. There's a complex science and art to them that have been watered down to Boomer bad, Millennials hate themselves and love avocado toast, and "Gen Z" has technology and likes memes. And "Gen Alpha" has even more technology.

■ "Bruh are you saying someone born in 1983 has more in common with me than someone born 2005"

no. Of course if you were born in say 2000, you share a lot of similarities with people born in 2005... culturally. The thing about generational theory is that while it's in no way black and white, it really unites people born in certain ranges because little differences in years can determine how the world helps you grow and how you help the world grow.

■ "There's no way I'm a dumb Millennial I've always had iPhones, don't remember the 90s, have Gen X parents..."

Okay, you're not the typical core-Millennial. Doesn't change that your cohort can remember a time before the recession, wasn't nearly as overprotected, are more team-oriented go-getters, etc. Being a Millennial is a thing you should be proud of and the sooner you accept it, the happier you'll be.

■ "Gen Z does exist. Look at all this that's different about us than older and younger people!"

a) I mean, people born in the early 1960s have just as many differences from other Boomers/Xers, and so do other cuspers. Cuspers are very important to note when analyzing generations so society doesn't make one up that's fake.
b) Take a look at the differences between the G.I. (not "Greatest") and Silent Generation. Look at differences between them and Boomers. And them and Xers. Them and Millennials. Generations are a thing because of those huge differences, and Gen Z does not have those big differences.
c) No, stuff like iPhones Tik Tok and Despacito are not huge generation-defining changes. That's what cohorts are for. Example, some Gen Xers grew up with the Atari, while others grew up with the NES. Same generation, different cohort. Come back when World War III happens.

■ "Howe and Strauss are old Boomers who think they can define every generation despite never getting to know anyone!! They're pseudo-science is BS!"

You criticize how they see the young generations but buy into that marketing-made up Gen Alpha crap? And while I agree generational theory is a bit out-dated at times, you can't deny how crazy accurate their predictions all the way from the 90s were. They're definitely onto something and you should probably read their web pages/books with an open mind before dismissing them just so your fake generation can make fun of other fake generations.
(10-29-2020, 02:50 PM)Camz Wrote: oh my god these people are SO ANNOYING. They're what made me leave r/GenZ. There's different kinds of anti-4th Turning people there:

I'm really sad that that's what generations have become these past few years. There's a complex science and art to them that have been watered down to Boomer bad, Millennials hate themselves and love avocado toast, and "Gen Z" has technology and likes memes. And "Gen Alpha" has even more technology.

■ "Bruh are you saying someone born in 1983 has more in common with me than someone born 2005"

no. Of course if you were born in say 2000, you share a lot of similarities with people born in 2005... culturally. The thing about generational theory is that while it's in no way black and white, it really unites people born in certain ranges because little differences in years can determine how the world helps you grow and how you help the world grow.

■ "There's no way I'm a dumb Millennial I've always had iPhones, don't remember the 90s, have Gen X parents..."

Okay, you're not the typical core-Millennial. Doesn't change that your cohort can remember a time before the recession, wasn't nearly as overprotected, are more team-oriented go-getters, etc. Being a Millennial is a thing you should be proud of and the sooner you accept it, the happier you'll be.

■ "Gen Z does exist. Look at all this that's different about us than older and younger people!"

a) I mean, people born in the early 1960s have just as many differences from other Boomers/Xers, and so do other cuspers. Cuspers are very important to note when analyzing generations so society doesn't make one up that's fake.
b) Take a look at the differences between the G.I. (not "Greatest") and Silent Generation. Look at differences between them and Boomers. And them and Xers. Them and Millennials. Generations are a thing because of those huge differences, and Gen Z does not have those big differences.
c) No, stuff like iPhones Tik Tok and Despacito are not huge generation-defining changes. That's what cohorts are for. Example, some Gen Xers grew up with the Atari, while others grew up with the NES. Same generation, different cohort. Come back when World War III happens.

■ "Howe and Strauss are old Boomers who think they can define every generation despite never getting to know anyone!! They're pseudo-science is BS!"

You criticize how they see the young generations but buy into that marketing-made up Gen Alpha crap? And while I agree generational theory is a bit out-dated at times, you can't deny how crazy accurate their predictions all the way from the 90s were. They're definitely onto something and you should probably read their web pages/books with an open mind before dismissing them just so your fake generation can make fun of other fake generations.

Yep! You're list is much better all sooooo true.
(10-29-2020, 02:50 PM)Camz Wrote: oh my god these people are SO ANNOYING. They're what made me leave r/GenZ. There's different kinds of anti-4th Turning people there:

FACTS! Go see my latest post relating to this nonsense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A revised list of the "bad apples" of every generation Ghost 16 6,203 01-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Name people who were anomalies for their generation disasterzone 69 48,337 01-08-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  My Specific Presidential Generation Range (s) Theory Cocoa_Puff 10 4,848 09-01-2022, 05:20 AM
  The Lost Generation: Not Gone Yet! Anthony '58 3 1,124 08-31-2022, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  What do you think are the major pros/cons of each current generation? JasonBlack 51 11,216 06-14-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  What If Everyone Born from 1967 to 1991 is Generation X? Victorian Jim Dandy 10 3,278 05-27-2022, 03:24 PM
  Most Useless Famous People of Each Generation JasonBlack 13 3,265 03-06-2022, 02:40 PM
  Entertainers by Generation GeekyCynic 4 1,476 02-20-2022, 01:07 AM
  The "Bad Apples" of each generation Ghost 72 46,089 02-11-2022, 12:31 AM
  Each Generation's Name (since Revolutionary Saeculum) Ranked Camz 33 15,342 05-29-2020, 03:01 AM
Last Post: Blazkovitz